Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Idk who decided this game needed another Wooper regional variant but I’m grateful regardless. Also hope the in base casual wear is an option for missions eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

Praying for a NG+ option for it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I never heard of Mika Pikazo before Engage but the all-caps energy owns and this is one of the few modern games I’ve ever been slightly disappointed with the graphics on for not being able to fully capture the energy of the original character design artwork.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGYgGOXrLu4

tbf it comes across better than the only other 3d game ive seen their work in in terms of capturing their vibes. tho to be fair to fgo arcade, that game has work from a bunch of artists so it kind of has to flatten all the styles. but still an attempt was definitely made in engage, you can see the difference.

Yeah I probably wasn’t being entirely fair, it does seem a difficult one to fully nail even in a conventional game let alone one with 50+ character, generic units, reclassing, on top of not exactly being made on cutting edge hardware, it looks more than fine in that context relative to the original work.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
To be fair, it’s not like he had much of a choice, literally the entire party was getting bad vibes from that chapter but the alternative was what, hiding out in Silesia/Issach until the Arvis Empire came to root out the “traitor” Sigurd?

Well, I guess Quan/Ethylin wouldn’t have come to help him out if he stayed in Silesia. Or I guess they could have just gone to Quan’s country which was better fortified anyway before Quan sent out his army to fight on a desert map. But it’s already a thing that Sigurd isn’t super bright and tends to just react to stuff without considering stuff like that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m going girl Alear cause she’s cute and also just because I usually default to female protagonists anyway if they’re not asking you to do a full customization thing like Soulsborne/Pokémon.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It would have been weird if dual audio wasn’t there, I guess Fates/Echoes didn’t have it but Fates was a big game and Echoes didn’t even have space for one language in the cart :v: still nice to have it confirmed, it should ideally always be a thing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I guess it’s not quite related to pegasus knights, but Endorph’s post made me think about how wyvern riders are pretty evenly divided between male/females with usually the guy coming later so it’s more likely you’ll use Jill or Cherche than FE9 Haar or Gerome. I think pegasus knights being gender locked is neat/cool as just a series staple, but also I think when people complain about it they’re thinking about gender locked classes in general like how girls can’t be in dedicated punch classes outside of DLC in 3H or guys can’t be gremories, which is kinda lame because girls should be all kinds of cool classes like armor knights/axe fighters more often. Thankfully this game doesn’t seem to have done that since girls can punch and be axe fighters, which kinda fixes that problem, and pegs being girl locked doesn’t really seem impactful mechanically unlike 3H since once you’d be able to reclass you can just promote to a flier instead.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oh, I didn't mean that in regards to people talking about shipping or whatever. I think all that is pretty alright, good even. I just think its really bad that people will still argue to this day that Catherine can't be gay even though half her characterisation is crushing on the pope, because she doesn't have an S rank with female Byleth. It genuinely sucks to me that there's seemingly a bunch of people out there that can't conceive of romantic chemistry or any interesting characterisation unless it ends in the "You get married!" rank.

Really? Goddamn, isn’t her A-rank support with Shamir, the hot sniper she constantly hangs out with, literally a proposal? Some people truly are brokebrained.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

why the gently caress isn’t Vander wearing his monocle all the time?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

heres my fe games ranking

Good list. I think you overrated Revelations though, tbh.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kanos posted:

It's funny, because Fates's horrible "the war between the kingdoms and every other problem was actually being caused by the evil manipulations of the invisible third kingdom led by a psychotic dragon" schtick is almost the same poo poo conceptually as Houses' "the war between the countries and almost every other problem was actually being caused by the evil manipulations of the underground mole people with nukes" schtick.

Fates is, in a lot of ways, basically a shoddy test platform for 3H.

Being real, that plot isn’t even new to Fire Emblem, FE4’s entire game is started by the Loptyrians inciting a war between Issach and Grannvale, and then starting Sigurd on his cross country bandit murder spree by convincing the brigand country king it would be totally sick to invade Grannvale. Which, like, makes sense for 3H at least because it was sparked from the idea of how tragic the friendship of Sigurd/Eldigan/Quan turned out, three high ranking nobles who befriended each other at military school.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Are Bord and Cord even siblings? I thought the joke was that they were just two dudes who looked bizarrely similar, at least in New Mystery where they get literally any dialogue.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Master Knight Leif was a better unit than Seliph, clearly a skill issue qualification

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

Although they have the same base skill stat of 10, Seliph has a 10% greater growth rate in Skill. However, Leif not only has a higher cap (27 vs 22), but +3 more from promo bonuses (5 vs 2), negating the growth rate difference. Seliph is expected to have 22 skill at max level, and Leif is expected to have 26.8.That said, Tyrfing does grant Seliph +10 skill when equipped.

You may draw what conclusions you wish from these findings

I really opened myself for that, huh?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Syrnn posted:

I'm excited for Engage mostly mechanically as an opportunity to reignite my love of the series. I found 3H to be a sublime aesthetic, and I'll freely admit that I'm not very good at these games so it's comparatively lower difficulty catered to me immensely. I still play Hard/Classic but it's been frustrating and I straight up can't even manage the hard difficulties in Shadow Dragon, where I'm currently sucking at Ch.13 The Wooden Cavalry in normal. It sucks because most of the advice I see for getting better at FE amounts to "check ranges" or "do the math yourself" as if the series hasn't had both of those things automated for the player for ages. It very much feels like "git gud" kind of advice which is... Not helpful.

It's weird to me because I ate the GBA titles without ever feeling super stressed by them but I'm struggling to fire up Awakening again because the difficulty feels very front loaded and I don't have the same time to waste on it as I had, so my finished save mocks me from the top of the list. Maybe this is a personal problem with analysis paralysis and poo poo, but I really hope Engage keeps up the accessibility that 3H offered because I definitely put it at the top of my FE experiences.

FYI, you shouldn’t feel bad about that Shadow Dragon map, like it’s entirely beatable but it’s still generally agreed to be a huge difficulty spike because its nearly 1:1 with the original game…except for the part where the enemies had 2 range because Ballisticians were just bow armor knights and not mobile turrets.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Archer...with muscles?

Unpossible.

Her whole thing is that she loves bodybuilding, if anything it’s weirder she doesn’t have a six pack in Engage.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey, that’s not fair. That’s not fair at all! They added an extra cav to that earlygame map where the “threat” is I guess that a mediocre unit is gonna come beating down on you.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah that was mentioned way back at the announcement. The silver card at least for sure:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
They don’t have 2D portraits because they’re usually a compromise because the ingame graphics aren’t capable of conveying emotion and poo poo properly and Engage is the second Switch Fire Emblem so they challenged themselves to make it 100% 3D. I’d rather have portraits too, but according to the interviews the artist helped a lot with the 3D models so it’s kinda hard to feel too disappointed.

edit: efb

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Junpei posted:

Lapis, if you don't wanna reclass her, really has to go Hero (axe variation) if you don't wanna double up on classes, huh? Cuz Goldmary already has Hero (lance variation) and Kagetsu has Swordmaster.

It's weird that they re-combined Myrmidon and Mercenary for this.

Eh, myrmidon/mercenary were always just basically the same thing anyway only myrms got to be worse most of the time by being more min/maxed with less strength and overkill speed/skill, if this game just gives you a big old list of master classes based on your weapon proficiency to promote to having having both just seems silly.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc AI’s prioritized damage over safe attacks since FE11 since it’s prior tendency to prioritize safe attacks was so insanely exploitable.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Booky posted:

maybe its confirmation bias but i've always felt like the ai kind of prioritized killing units too

Yeah, the priority is “chance of kill > biggest damage number” FE11-16 with some wonkiness in there if there’s what the AI views as a significant crit rate. Can’t speak entirely for Engage since I’m sure stuff like enemy Engages and breaks add new wrinkles.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh I’m pretty skeptical that they’re actually fixed in the conventional sense where a 50% growth means you gain X stat every two levels given how POR handled its version, but I’d love to be wrong when someone runs the numbers to make sure.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
This game seems kinda corny so far but I was pretty hype at Chapter 1 when everything started going to poo poo and I did a magical girl transformation with Marth Fire Emblem and the banging theme music kicked in, so it might also be rad?

Also I’m like 95% sure they got Deku’s voice actor from My Hero Academia to voice this green mage kid who’s a really big fan of the Divine One which makes me smile a little.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

lih posted:

afaik the effect is that the displayed hit rate is accurate for 50 and below, but for displayed hit rates of >50 the actual hit rate is higher than the displayed one

so for anyone complaining about getting too many misses at high hit rates, it is in fact already rigged in your favour in those cases, apparently

Tbf there’s still gonna be aggressive confirmation bias for anyone coming off 3H since this setup is still less than the effective ~10% a 60+ accuracy attack got there.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Miftan posted:

It used to be a real bad idea in the old game for a variety of reasons that don't seem to apply this time around.

Tbh it was usually a good idea in the old games too, the information was just conveyed poorly so you’d assume you hosed up when your guy promotes and has 12/25 strength in the stat screen and you see how much you could have gotten instead of realizing your promotion gains/future levels still make you Good Enough. Early promotion wasn’t the mistake, making all stats not cap at 20 like FE5 was :twisted:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Supremezero posted:

It's pretty consistently the lowest growth in the game, for fairly obvious reasons. Hell, this is the first game in the series where it's even a growth

The only character likely to have an actually reasonable rate of it is Boucheron, and even there it's only like 25-30%

Second, actually, FE5 had build growths too, which were mostly low aside from the otherwise mediocre early game axe guy with a bizarrely growth in it, like Engage!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zore posted:

Also I can understand why the localization team took a scorched earth policy towards any of the under 18 support endings considering the original Anna one is Alear having a romantic scene with an 11 year old.

Its like they saw the complaints about proposing to the thousand year old dragons who look like little girls and decided the solution was to remove the 'actually 1000 years old' part.

Assuming this is an accurate translation, it’s very confusing why that’s a thing when 3H just had pained endings that were just the two units being each other’s family, like iirc Lysithia/Hanneman.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Am I missing something, or is there not a button that lets you zoom out on the battlefield map?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

Down on the right stick

Thanks, apparently it only works in the main menu snd not when the minimap’s up, that’s what was tripping me up.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Jesus Louis is a monster, even without the Mounted Emblem ring it still seems like there’d still be lots of situations where you could just throw him at guys with a lance and just watch everything lose massive chunks of health. They really should have at least not massively downplayed the former effects of the weapon triangle, at least to unbroken foes.

Also Sommie is my new favorite Pokémon. And I think these people are all weirdos but I’m probably gonna support grind a lot after I beat the game to see all their weirdo conversations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ngl, Chloe seemed kinda boring at first as just “lady who likes fairy tales I guess” but she’s definitely someone I like more as just a lowkey insane person who literally watches people sleep despite their requests to not do that because it reminds her of fairy tales, on top of shoveling whatever into her mouth like a Snorlax.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So is it confirmed that weapon ranks or weapon triangle disadvantage don’t really do anything beyond “can use C/B/A/S rank weapons” and “get broken when enemy initiates combat”? If so that’s kind of an…odd choice, the game owns but it’d be even better if Louis had even some slight kind of downside for facing down axe attackers instead of just chunking them like he does everything else, or characters’ innate blue proficiencies having more of an effect for most of the game by giving +mt/hit and not just for I assume the endgame penultimate chapters when you get the S rank weapons.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Is SP gated by difficulty? A decent chunk of FE games give you slightly less experience on Hard and way less on Maddening-level stuff, and most people here are probably playing Hard so it wouldn’t be surprising if SP gain’s staggered. Or boosted on Normal like how enemies iirc get Hit/Evade penalties, same difference.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I heard that but I wasn’t sure if the ratio changes since I don’t pay close attention to it, like if it’s a 1:1.20 on Normal or 1:.85 on Hard

edit: nevermind.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

The best thing about Timerra's personal skill is not that it saves you from a dastardly amount of 1% crits, bur rather that since its range is big it is often active on a lot of enemies, which means it triggers the flash and noise at the start of combat, which activates the good brain neurons that go "haha, things are happening"

I really love the fact that you get those little pop ups for relevant skills proccing, like i think I popped like five at once on Alear engaged to Marth with the Christmas kids next to her

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

You could probably do something similar in like, FE4, but instead of the rings and Stands you could tie it into the holy weapons, like you temporarily tap into their power. It wouldn't work in actual FE4 because of the story and holy blood of course, but it wouldn't be too bad to make a similar thing in future games.

Imo you could probably like, say, have holy blood confer some kind of gambit/Engage type command if you really wanted that type of dealie for FE4.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, Jean seems like a pretty mediocre version of the earlygame growth units they’ve been doing, idk what was wrong with “+X% growths” like Donnel/Mozu/Cyril (kinda, aptitude just fixes his bad base growths) got but he is your second healer/Qi Adept which is probably still better than the last deployment slot you were gonna use in a given fight in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s kinda weird/jank that they even let you second seal at all before promotion with the way internal levels work, maybe I’m dumb and missing something but since it’s capped at level 10 it literally just seems like it can only screw tou over by making it take longer to promote since it’s not like Awakening where being level 1+10 accelerated growth compared being just level 10.