Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The dog fuckin owns, all the characters look neat, this game is gonna kick rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Eimi posted:

I hate that I find the gameplay from this looking really good because everything else is such that it will only make me irate if I play the drat thing. I hate that this is FE for the next few years.

Open up your heart and accept the anime into it

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think I will enjoy it because I have great taste

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Booky posted:

i would die for sommie.

same, also Chloe.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

excited to play this after 3 years of the visual black hole that was three houses

This is the biggest thing about the game for me. It looks more visually cohesive and clear than any FE game since the GBA 20 years ago. I can't loving wait to not get a headache playing a fire emblem.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tae posted:

RPG site did a podcast preview and he got annoyed at the embargo so he basically gave a more detailed review on a few things.

-The hangout castle is mostly skippable, the boosts you gain are incredibly minor to the point that it's more for fun than three houses-esque chores
-The non-Emblem rings and gacha and all that are mostly useless, you eventually field all 12 rings so no one is going to use a fake ring instead.
-There is technically marriage, but it's less involved than even three houses
-He had the game since mid december, so every major site's impression is probably given enough time in the oven

:pray:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Good God I would rather have 3H political discourse every day of the week over engage “anime aesthetics” discourse. This is going to be the conversation topic for the next 36 months, isn’t it

Engage isn't out yet so we can talk about how Edelgard is objectively correct in the meantime if you'd like

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kanos posted:

Literally no one in this game has an outfit within ten thousand miles of how dumb Rex's design is in XB2.

one of the worst character designs ive ever seen

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

How is this game out in a week

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I think it's very cute that they decided to blend the cute dancer girl and the token long hair male myrm into one unit

:yeah:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm sure someone is gonna think this is insane but it feels like an extremely normal set of fire emblem opinions to have imo

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mysticblade posted:

I'm one of those people who hate S tiers on tier lists unless they're legitmately game breaking. It's fine to give things D and E ranks!

Thank god someone else who understands how tier lists are supposed to work!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Birthright is just boring. A couple of the characters are neat (Asama and Miitama, Selkie) but are still fairly one note and more or less the entire rest of the cast is just... nothing. All of the hoshidan royals are cardboard cutouts with no personality. The plot is extremely straightforward and the writing isn't any good to carry it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

Well this is encouraging, especially that there are maps with multiple emblem-using enemies.

One of the things with balancing emblems is that sure, the player has a lot more at any given time, but the enemies don't need to have as many for it to be threatening, because losing even one unit is disastrous to the player (on classic at least) while enemies are disposable. They only have to take one of you down for it to be a "loss" to many players.

If one of the chapters has an enemy using Sigurd that Engage surprise moves 12 tiles out of fog of war and stabs your healer in the face this will be the best Fire Emblem ever made

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

This was my first thought lol, followed by an enemy using the warp engage to teleport to your weakest unit and ohko them

:getin:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/3skuero/status/1614641470480203777

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

https://twitter.com/FE_Heroes_EN/status/1614819859145138176?t=2YSK12Hr9p_tYNh_fh8mGw&s=19

I know nothing of FEH but posted this just to go 'holy moley' at that Chloé quote

Chloe :allears:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Important Announcement:
Etie.

Thank you for your time.

Goddamn the characters in this game have great designs.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The absolute worst part of the color distribution in the gachas is that if you're looking for a specific banner unit and only buying ones of the correct color, you can get a pull with none of that color and blow your pitybreak chance on something you don't want.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

"Professional" video game reviewers are the dumbest motherfuckers on the face of the planet

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

fadam posted:

I’m still pretty new to the series (only ever played the first GBA one and one run of 3H). Just started this one yesterday and got out of the tutorial battles. Is it best practice to juice up one or two guys as much as possible, or does it not matter in newer games?

Going in blind that probably isn't the best strategy because you don't know what later chapters will require of you and having a mostly underdeveloped and weak team can kick you in the rear end if a later chapter needs you to send units to several places at once. Also if a unit gets a few levels ahead their exp gain will drop significantly so it's hard to get too far ahead of what you're fighting with them.

Recent fire emblems (conquest notwithstanding) have been very forgiving in that regard but if Engage is more focused on tight gameplay then who knows. They certainly have pivoted away from letting you stick a beefy unit on a fort with a hand axe and solo kill the whole map on enemy phase though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Slow month, and he played 30 hours of 3 houses!!!

Edit: Pretty amazing to me how many people here just openly admit pirating the game tbh.

In my experience the vast majority of people just don't really give a poo poo about online piracy, and on SA the rules only prohibit sharing how to find pirated materials.

I won't be getting the leaked version because my computer sucks and when I tried emulating the leaked Pokémon game it crashed repeatedly so I'm expecting the same here, but I totally would if I could just to mess around a bit with it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

I still feel that Radiant Dawn had the best "grand" storyline with an amazing escalation of threat/stakes over the duration of two games. Also it stayed way more coherent than the plot of 3 houses.

RD plot had a few extremely glaring problems (lol blood pacts) but was overall pretty good otherwise imo

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The only route where you murder a couple of your own former students is Silver Snow, otherwise you're only murdering your dumb coworkers' former students which is completely different.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

IIRC one of the really bad problems (the Black Knight’s warp powder malfunctioning and creating an inferior copy) was changed in localization (he let Ike win to see him at full strength)

:psyduck:

Yeah that's a good change

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJCOoTp6v5I

If you wanted a tutorial video, well, here it is.

drat this person is way too enthusiastic about basic game tutorials

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

hard mode's really fun. enemies in this game hit like loving pick-up trucks. its not just ignore break that makes knights good, its that theyre the only guys in the game who can survive more than 2-3 combats in an enemy phase. even vander can be killed by a couple axe guys as early as chapter 6.

This is incredible news and I'm excited for friday

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Eimi posted:

It's poo poo like that that has me torn. What Endorph said about the gameplay is everything I want. But on the other hand, every time someone speaks.

Turn on japanese voices and skip the text, you can make it through this.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

Hector from FE7

:getin:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I don't think I understand how chain attacks and backup characters work. I have Boucheron adjacent to a unit that I'm attacking with and nothing is happening.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Miftan posted:

I'm a series veteran and I dig it. It's fine.

Boucheron needs to be next to/in range of the enemy you're attacking and he'll contribute a little chip damage.

Oh okay it's target adjacency not attacker adjacency, I feel dumb for not trying that. Thanks!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Can I have a dlc for the classic level up sound please.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

slapping Sigurd on Framme is extremely funny and also seems like it's going to be extremely good with a little bit of investment, this owns.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

Etie’s cool and has a good design I just hate Alfred and want to stuff him in a locker.

:yeah:

I wish my Etie would get any speed at all though. I slapped Marth on her immediately which has helped and having a melee option for her and second sword user is really helpful in the early game. But she's gonna end up falling off pretty hard if she keeps getting bad levels.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

3H is neat but is also kind of a bad game.

Engage is dorky sometimes but is also an extremely good game.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Syrnn posted:

This is so much more punishing than 3H I'm considering going down to Normal. I've been stuck on Ch.5 today and I have no idea how I'm supposed to take hits in this one. Even avoiding any matchups where I'd get broken I feel like the enemies hit twice as hard as I do for anyone but Engaged Alear or Céline doing Warp Ragnarok. Everything else requires 3 actions to delete an enemy and with just Framme around for healing I'm losing on attrition big time. I gave my Sigurd Ring to Alfred and... All that means is he can zip face first into things without even catching that thief because he dies if I send him that way without backup, which is too slow anyway. Any goons able to give me some pointers here?

In addition to what the others have said about giving Sigurd to Louis, you're not on a time limit. You can leave the gate closed until you've completely cleaned up the left side of the map if you want, or if you do open it early you can bait out individual unit groups and overwhelm them with numbers while you slowly crawl forward.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zore posted:

So far my Anna has procd her strength growth every level and has the highest in my party. Not sure how much of that to attribute to immediately stapling Tiki onto her but small Axe Anna rules

This is funny because Anna's gimmick is that she has a very low strength growth and a better magic growth than I believe any other character in the game.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

To confirm something I heard elsewhere: Can you second seal to reset to level 1 in the same or a different advanced class? Further, does the game do internal level tracking such that doing this actually doesn't mess with your XP curve? Because if both of those are true, it's actually better to promote ASAP as long as you can spare the second seals later on.

After some testing it appears that exp is entirely based on internal level and that is not affected by promotion.

I repeat, promotion does not negatively impact experience gain at all, so unless you're concerned about hitting the cap too early and not having money for second seals, it is ALWAYS better to promote at level 10 because you get base stat boosts and promoted classes have better growths.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

As of Chapter 10, Yunaka is my MVP by a country mile.

She kicks rear end and is easily my favorite character in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Dave Matthews Big Fan! posted:

really want to gush about chapter 17 on hard, I'm probably a bit underleveled (no dlc/skirmishes/stat boosters) so the whole map felt like walking a perilous tightrope. took like 28 turns and 8 rewind charges but it felt soo good to finally beat. this is the most fun I've ever had with a fire emblem, this game rocks

framme has been my standout unit of the whole game so far but I think it might just be the class that's nuts because her level ups haven't really been particularly crazy. between chain guard, obliterating archers/mages/fliers, and dodge tanking in a pinch occasionally she's salvaged a ton of turns that would've otherwise been disastrous. she can even heal sometimes. framme rules

My framme has also turned out extremely well, and I haven't even been taking proper advantage of chain guard like I probably should be. Did you promote her to master monk or the other one?