Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Engage meters starting off full feels like an absolutely wild decision on paper. The alpha strike potential is nuts. Now I'm really curious if maps are designed around that or not.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

the main game breaking potential feels like it'd be in byleth + sigurd + celica.

though one thing i do like about the engage mechanic is unlike pair-up in awakening/fates you can actually fully turn it off by just not equipping the engages. in those games even if you didnt actively pair up just having units next to each other would activate it.

Yeah I'd agree, those three are the ones that feel like they "break the rules" more than the others, either with extreme mobility or just going nuts with the action economy (Byleth).

I keep reminding myself to keep pair up and battalions in mind when I'm thinking about the effect of engages, too. It's not a system that's just showing up out of nowhere--it has precursors in pair up and battalions, which had their own really powerful things. Hell engages might even be less wild than Awakening's version of pair up in some ways, plus they let you actively use all of your deployed units instead of merging them into a smaller number of super-units with pair up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mycatscrimes posted:

It's a shame because I actually quite liked battalions. Having some crowd control potential opened up strategies and ime synergized well with 3H encouraging more player phase play in general. It's certainly true that the implementation was a fiddly nightmare of sub menus though.

I liked the idea of battalions a lot. Even just thematically I liked them--in a story about war it made more sense to me that each of my units was actually multiple soldiers, with the named character serving as the leader and vanguard. (Of course the actual story battles often didn't support this, like who brings hundreds of soldiers into a cramped basement, but whatever, every FE game has a few weird moments like that.)

It feels like a system that'd be worth revisiting somewhere along the line to try to implement in a more satisfying way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really liked Fates pair up. Having it be a useful tool but with drawbacks and an actual strong reason not to be paired up made it a much, much more interesting mechanic.

Similarly I think I would've liked battalions more if there was a strong reason for some units not to use one. They tried with a handful of personal skills but they always paled in comparison to the benefits a battalion could give you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly I just don't like that levels reset when you reclass. That combined with the availability of grinding seems like it just leads to some pretty unfortunate feedback loops.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, you can rename Alear.

I actually kinda like player avatars as a concept, but in practice I think I've disliked more of them than I've liked. I know it's too much to ask for to hope that they'll dial down the player's extreme specialness at some point, but I'd at least like them to stop dialing it up. We went from a faceless tactician (not even a my unit, just a way for the characters to talk to the player in-universe), to just some soldier who's Marth's sidekick, to a dorky tactician who's more important than they first appeared, to dragon royalty, to a mercenary who turns out to be dragon Jesus, and now we're just dragon Jesus from the start.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I would definitely prefer to have a set name. Ever since FFX I've been firmly on the side of "I'd rather not be able to name my character than have to have all the voiced dialogue talk around their name."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also I could be weird but I actually prefer not getting to manually choose all the pairings. It made sense in Awakening and Fates because it was a gameplay element, determining how child units would start out, but when it isn't a gameplay thing I think it's more fun to just play the game and see what happens, who gets what ending with who. It's more interesting to me if the characters who aren't my player avatar are their own people and I don't get to 100% control everything about them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I had so much fun actually playing Conquest that I can't possibly rate it lowly. I know its gameplay isn't everyone's style but it's probably the most satisfying I've found tactical RPG combat. I never played on Lunatic but Hard/Classic was an absolute blast for me.

And then I got so bored midway through Revelations that I never finished it.

Though to this day, I think Fates has my favorite core mechanics in the series. I really like its class system. Love its version of Pair Up. I also kinda miss the 3DS era look to the games, with the map sprites and then 3D combat models. A hypothetical game with the gameplay of Conquest but the story of... literally any game with a story that isn't garbage would probably be one of my favorite games ever.

My biggest complaint about Conquest (outside of the writing, obviously) is that Birthright is the one where you get the most freedom to play with the new classes, while Conquest mostly has classic Fire Emblem classes aside from a few units.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 13, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If there's one nice thing I can say about Second Seals coming back (complete with their level resetting power) it's that it makes it impossible to truly gently caress up a unit or for a unit to be truly RNG-screwed. If one of your favorite characters is turning out poorly, just Second Seal them--even into the same class, if you want (which we've seen you can do in previews)--and give them more chances to gain stats.

It's not something I love, and I prefer not grinding in FE games, but I guess it's a nice safety net to make sure you never have to bench a unit who isn't turning out well.

If they'd done away with reclassing entirely I wouldn't have minded, either, but I'm willing to go along for the ride.

Cythereal posted:

I hope Engage will bring something unique to the table, but there's enough in the previews that I've found off-putting that I'm waiting to see what word of mouth says after release.

There are definitely things about Engage that kinda rub me the wrong way but I think I like enough of what I've seen to jump straight in. If nothing else I love the super colorful aesthetic and the nice animations enough that those are probably enough to make me have a nice enough time on their own. I'm easy to please I think.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

also game's out in the wild, there's a leaks thread on serenes's forum if you're curious. would request people don't post major plot/gameplay spoilers here, but if youre curious on map design/difficulty: there's a defense map, an escape map, and a map where a playable unit is an npc in danger that rescuing is an optional side objective.

the game also definitely seems like it has some teeth, the escape map features multiple enemies with emblems and monsters chasing you even on normal, and an enemy with a 10 range staff that inflicts break. (wonder if freeze/entrap make a return on maddening)

Well this is encouraging, especially that there are maps with multiple emblem-using enemies.

One of the things with balancing emblems is that sure, the player has a lot more at any given time, but the enemies don't need to have as many for it to be threatening, because losing even one unit is disastrous to the player (on classic at least) while enemies are disposable. They only have to take one of you down for it to be a "loss" to many players.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Taking a quick peek through the leaks has gotten me more excited for the game than most of what has been shown in the official previews lol

If you're more sensitive to spoiling yourself than I am, don't be tempted to look at the leaks, just take my word for it that the game looks sick.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gameplay-only spoiler having to do with classes and weapon types: Alear's promotion gains access to qi arts, so if you were hoping to make a punch Alear, good news!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

After 3H was such a huge success, it's pretty gutsy for the next game to just take a hard turn away from a lot of what seemed to draw people to 3H.

Not that I'm complaining, all I needed to see was this

Cythereal posted:

* Much greater focus on the tactical gameplay, most maps hew closer to the old games or Fates: Conquest than to Awakening/Birthright/Three Houses model.

to be 100% sold.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

Any word on New Game plus?

Leaks say there is NG+, but I haven't seen the details of how it works yet

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Compared to Fates Conquest's "we're nonlethally subduing every single enemy we do brutal critical animations on, honest," 3H appears pretty dark and gritty

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Weirdly I never really tired of the monastery the way a lot of other people did, even over four total playthroughs, but at the same time I'm not sad to see that side of things go away. Somniel seems like it's keeping intact the parts that I would have wanted to carry forward (basically just having a home base to run around and sometimes do little side activities in) so I'm happy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eimi posted:

And the plot doesn't even need them is the worst part, it could've just been as a result of a power struggle in the empire and them getting their hands on Agarthan technology. That would still foist off a lot of the bad stuff onto a third party, but they'd be a human party with actual ties to the cast at least.

My big idea back when 3H was new was that TWSITD should've been a weird political faction/cult within the Empire who were obsessed with ancient Agarthan tech, rather than being actual subterranean-dwelling Agarthans. They could've filled almost exactly the same role during White Clouds, and then just been wrapped into the Empire as an overall entity after the time skip (or purged by Edelgard during the time skip on Crimson Flower) so the focus could stay on the actually interesting conflict in all routes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The dubstep was pretty sick

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm gonna play on hard and it sounds like I'll probably get my rear end kicked lol

Endorph posted:

hard mode's really fun. enemies in this game hit like loving pick-up trucks. its not just ignore break that makes knights good, its that theyre the only guys in the game who can survive more than 2-3 combats in an enemy phase. even vander can be killed by a couple axe guys as early as chapter 6.

I like that armor knights sound like actually really valuable tanks after kinda ignoring them in most of my 3H runs

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barreft posted:

We talked about my opinion on TriStrat and Three Houses awhile ago, this is really good! It's definitely not a life sim like 3H but I still can't stop playing

I think you'll love it

Hell yeah, I'm really excited

Everything I've heard about the gameplay sounds like exactly what I was hoping for.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Going by what people are saying, it sounds like reclassing isn't really a big factor this time around unless you go out of your way for it, maybe? Like something to maybe spice up repeat playthroughs or let you do weird things with a unit you want to put extra effort into, but not something you should expect to do regularly on a first playthrough?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

That said, only promoted classes give skills and you only have 3 slots between both class skills and inherited Emblem skills, so the main reason for reclassing is because you want to play the character as that class (and maybe lategame because it resets your level, I'm not sure what level you are expected of your units by the end of the game.)

Perfect, that's exactly what I hoped reclassing would be like.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Someone's uploading some of the attract mode clips that show off class animations, and the Swordmaster crit animation at the start of this one is rad as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnJj-rd8ENg

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Syrnn posted:

Per map or... Total? Either one sounds excessive in either extreme. I also used to Divine Pulse for stupid poo poo like changing equipment, but I'll be legit sad if it's 10 for a whole playthrough. I can't really imagine even provisionally going back to the "restart the whole map" days after DP/Turnwheel as a quality of life upgrade.

It's 10 per map.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

From what I've seen in gameplay footage, the lines are still there, they just don't tell you exactly who will get attacked. They show you which enemies a character is in range of. Triangle Strategy does the same thing.

So you'd still see a line when you're moving a unit into an enemy's range, it just doesn't mean they're the unit who'll be targeted. They're basically threat lines rather than perfect targeting predictors.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm so out of practice with Fire Emblem that I only beat chapter 3 (on hard) by pure luck because Alear dodged the boss on the final turn

Can't wait to get an armor knight so I can have a reliable tank

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it just me or is this back to being single RN for hit rates? In recent games you'd just about never miss a 95% chance to hit, but I've seen it multiple times already (once in my own game and a bunch of times watching videos/streams), which would be consistent with it actually being a 95% chance to hit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So far I'm loving the gameplay, it's pretty much exactly what I wanted from a new Fire Emblem on that front. And I'm kind of enjoying the story, too. It's just lighthearted and breezy and there's nothing wrong with that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

Also, I bought the DLC and I’m at Chapter 6 and I thought I should get the emblem band for the 3H trio but I’ve not gotten anything. Anyone have any clue how to get it? I know there should be a cutscene at lookout ridge but no dice. All the other DLc parts are there like the items.

Has anyone figured this out? I'm having the same issue.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It only showed up for me after finishing Chapter 6, at which point I got a Somniel notification and just had to go to lookout ridge to get it.

Ah okay, I'll just keep going then. Pages online said it should show up after chapter 4 but that's probably wrong.

Thanks!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I didn't expect to but I'm kind of enjoying the story myself. It's lighthearted and breezy and straightforward, but it's fun enough and also not just actively insulting its audience like Conquest.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Scrap Dragon posted:

So... how do you open the chests in Chapter 5? I don't see any chest keys. Do I just have to let the enemy thief open them and take the goodies off their corpse?

Weirdly enough, you don't need keys. You can just open them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This Tiki DLC paralogue is one of the most tedious maps I've ever seen and it's enough to make me regret buying the DLC. Jesus.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Any reason not to just adopt every animal you see? Like is there a limited amount of space in the stable?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I did enjoy (spoilers through Ch 3) Marth's response to Alear's question about "what was I like back then?" being "uh... don't worry about it"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barreft posted:

Yunaka continues to rule 30 hours in. Zappy!

She instantly became one of my favorite units. Daggers rule and she's so dodgy, it's great

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

This is funny because Anna's gimmick is that she has a very low strength growth and a better magic growth than I believe any other character in the game.

I just looked on Serenes and holy poo poo, 50 base Mag growth :stare:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's the earliest you can get a second seal? Anna seems like she'd very much prefer to be a Mage with those growths.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Y'know I do sorta want to make Anna a mage, but also I already have Céline and Citrinne right here doing that just fine (and Clanne, though he refused to gain Mag for a while so has been warming the bench) so it's probably not worth the seal.

It is sorta hard to justify using units you have to train when the game hands you competent units and prepromotes at what seems to be a pretty steady rate. Which is cool, it's fun having people rotate in and out, and I guess that's where the replay value's going to come in (what if I commit to using all the Firenese units for the whole game? how busted can I make Framme and Clanne? what about if I don't use prepromotes? could an Iron Man work? etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So I've heard there's no real downside to promoting ASAP this time around because it doesn't really affect your EXP gain that much and you can always second seal if you cap out your advanced class early.

The second seal part is obvious, but what about the EXP gain part? Is that true? I'm sitting on a handful of master seals I've been hesitant to use in case I accidentally slow my own growth down with them.