Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Even if it quote-unquote "looks like Genshin", so what

hopeandjoy posted:

I think Genshin is just...... a good looking contempary anime game??? Just like Engage is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

When Genshin first came out people banged on about how it looks like BotW too. In a few years we'll be complaining that another cel-shaded 3D anime game "looks like Fire Emblem Engage"

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Another pegasus knight continues the trend of being the straightest woman

Also I just noticed that our trainee this time is a healer, which is interesting. In theory it should make the growing pains much less noticeable as you can just gain XP by using staves.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I think part of the "energy" of the designs also comes from the high contrast palette and lighting, which they might have chosen to tone down a bit in the game since you want the players to be able to see their "pieces" clearly.

They definitely put in a lot of effort into interpreting the original artworks, though. The artist's style is very textured and you can tell they tried to emulate that with things like scattering the shading/reflections on the outfits and introducing tessellation effects here and there.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Zore posted:

Do we know what the Fire Emblem is in the game yet?

I'm gonna guess its eventually going to be Marth's Engage ring but outside bet on it somehow being the OG shield popping up again.

Half-crackpot theory: The Fire Emblem is the entire continent itself, with the four kingdoms + Alear's holy land representing the five stones

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Half-crackpot theory: The Fire Emblem is the entire continent itself, with the four kingdoms + Alear's holy land representing the five stones

Actually I'm gonna take this theory a step further

The holy land is the center of the Emblem, and there's a submerged fifth kingdom up north (or, well, any cardinal direction) that's gonna be the final boss area or something

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

The idea is definitely to put them on slow, bulky characters who aren't likely to be doubling anyway, but they sound like they're gonna be less and less effective as the difficulty goes up where enemies hit harder and 20+ Mt won't be enough to one-shot anymore

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

It looks like a really good personal regardless, I'll take any accuracy booster the game will give me. It'd be even better with Brave weapons.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

:hmmyes:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Gonna play M!Alear but I'm going in with zero expectations about the mlm romance options

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Byleth's concept sounds good on paper, in practice the lack of dialogue + voice in an otherwise very wordy game just makes it really hard for me to care about them. I imagine they work better in Hopes because they're no longer a mute who unfortunately makes up the bulk of the game's one-on-one supports

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

goty

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I'm for reclassing, but I'd have preferred to have a hard cap to the unit's level as well like 3H and Fates does it

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

That’d be everything they’ve shown so far

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

also btw whatever here are the two unrevealed characters (presumably) that were shown off in the artbook:

:siren:SPOILERS:siren:
https://imgur.com/a/3IoUBKr

Buff old lady knight? :five:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

https://twitter.com/SerenesForest/status/1613874839650983938

Based on this, it's possible that those two are the last few unreleased playables.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

My money's on Yunaka

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

It's gonna be both Alears and Ivy + Hortensia if I had to guess.

The twins don't seem like moneymakers and Vander is almost certainly going to be a free unit

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Endorph posted:

also game's out in the wild, there's a leaks thread on serenes's forum if you're curious. would request people don't post major plot/gameplay spoilers here, but if youre curious on map design/difficulty: there's a defense map, an escape map, and a map where a playable unit is an npc in danger that rescuing is an optional side objective.

the game also definitely seems like it has some teeth, the escape map features multiple enemies with emblems and monsters chasing you even on normal, and an enemy with a 10 range staff that inflicts break. (wonder if freeze/entrap make a return on maddening)

Glad to hear that there are more varied victory conditions this time around (untagged 'cos I don't think this is much of a spoiler). I didn't like that 3H mostly just had "defeat boss" maps, I know they kinda had to do that so getting through multiple routes doesn't become a slog but still.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I haven't kept up with Heroes' powercreep for some time but

How does Alfred's skill start with "Atk+10, Spd+5, Def+20, Res-5" and it doesn't end there :psyduck:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Endorph posted:

no non-alear s supports/paired endings is lame, though. maybe they can patch some in?

This one sucks. I hope this still means they get an ending slide of some sort.

Lord Koth posted:

Saphir is 35.

:psyduck:

Vander being 45 I can buy since his eyes don't look that old and he might just have gotten white hair early. Hell maybe his hair is naturally white. But 35??

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

None. Marth is controlling everyone the whole time

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Excited to hear that even Hard difficulty has teeth. I'm both parts excited and terrified of what that means for Maddening.

I was flipflopping between digital and physical but I think I just don't wanna risk local suppliers being late and digital means I can play on the second it's released. Friday can't come soon enough

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Vander's growth is surprisingly decent for a Jagen.

Rosado's 65% Str growth :eyepop:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I'm ready to play some god drat fire emblem

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

So since I'm sure some of the people who got the game early must have beaten it by now, how long is a playthrough roughly?

I'm most likely gonna do a Hard playthrough then a Maddening next, so I just wanna plan how much time I'm gonna be setting aside for the game

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Endorph posted:

Maybe 40-50 hours if you watch all the cutscenes? About as long as a route in 3 Houses. The story/base stuff is shorter but there's more maps than a single route of 3H. (about 40 total if you do all the paralogues)

If you skip the cutscenes and intentionally speed through the base stuff, maybe 30.

Sounds good, thanks, I was thinking I might just do 1 playthrough first if the game turns out to be very long but I'll just go ahead with my original plan then

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Huh, interesting. This actually kinda makes me wanna play Maddening first, I've never had to play with fixed growths.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

What's Chain Defend?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

What exactly does Engage need to "try" to be

People are wildly overreacting to a straightforward story with a lighthearted tone like a teenager at their first creative writing class

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Nibble posted:

A Qi Adept unit at 100% HP can stand next to an ally and defend them as their action. The next attack against that ally will do no damage, but the Qi Adept loses 20% of their HP. (At least that’s how it’s described, I haven’t tried it myself yet)

Seems like it’ll be a good way to lure out bosses and other dangerous units without risking death from a big crit or engage attack.

Oh right, Chain Guard. For a second I thought it's an upgraded version of it or something :v:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Does it matter what I feed Sommie? Feeding him a rare food doesn't seem to increase the rewards

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

ungulateman posted:

as far as anime comparisons go this is just misfit of demon academy: it's so sincere that it loops back around into serving as parody without coming off as mean-spirited or cruel to what inspired it, and also everyone is right to love the main character, because they are cool,

Yeah Alear is surprisingly pretty likeable so far. It's kind of the inverse of the usual player worship situation where people fall head over heels for someone for no apparent reason, Alear is worshipped for a very clear reason (they're dragon Jesus) but they themselves clearly don't think they deserve the worship and are kinda uncomfortable with it, so it creates interesting little character moments. There's also something childlike about the way they react to the things happening around them that makes them come across as, yeah, sincere. I like it.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I didn't realize the DLC also gives stat boosters and now they're just, sitting in my inventory taunting me

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Mom said "gently caress your Jagen"

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Endorph posted:

im trying but his stats arent very good

it's sad but true

Maybe if I turn Vander into a Griffin Knight I can make him usable, if only as a staffbot...

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Terper posted:

Micaiah might be the single most useful Emblem because of the crazy experience and SP she can get you.

(Chapter 7 map, seen in previews) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVvgfupdD3w

:thunk:

I know you get a Second Seal very early as well and it just costs 200 bond fragments to unlock Staff Proficiency

Maybe Griffin Knight Vander is actually real

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

I’m having fun playing FE

I couldn’t get the chests from Chapter 5 on Hard because that initial wave of enemies was pretty tough to beat with how my units are turning out early on. I paired Etie with Sigurd just to try an archer as a mobile hit and run type given how she’s gotten a bunch of strength and speed early on. It worked! Think I might have her and Alear swap just to gain more weapon proficiencies and such

The key was to give Sigurd to Louis and have him Override during that one turn 4 enemies are lined up in the corridor, thus blocking the thief :eng101:

They even showed it off in prerelease!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

So what does the actual Thief class do that's unique this time around?