Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i take back any negative comments i"ve made about the writing, this is GOTY tier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Protip for anyone unaware: if you scan a fire emblem amiibo*, you don't get that character's outfit, you instead get a daily ticket that can be used to purchase any of the past lords outfits, as well as one for songs. Lord outfits can only be worn by the Royal Characters™ but you only need to buy them once.

"...Well, ONE of us is going to have to change."

*or, you know, a spoofed NFC tag because amiibo prices are annoying at the best of times

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i already liked framme so the fact that she's determined to apparently get almost every stat up across the board nearly every level-up is making her a fantastic character
edit:

Hellioning posted:

On one hand, a lot of the Alear worship is annoying

On the other hand I love Clanne and Framme being the founders, co-presidents, and only members of the Alear fan club. That is funny.
i thought you were joking but then i got their C-support and oh no, i love them??

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 22, 2023

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

holy brocc-oly, yunaka is great

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

oh hey, i knew Anna's VA sounded familiar!

(she's also in a fuckload of other stuff, but that's the only one i've watched the english dub of)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

the thread keeps talking about reclassing anna into mage because of her ridiculous growth rate, so i just have to ask

can you get a second seal earlier than chapter 13? because that seems like. a long time to wait.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Dpulex posted:

A fire emblem without an avatar would be great. They're either pointless (GBA games) or aggressively bad (byeleth)
What makes a character an "avatar" as opposed to their own character that the player happens to pick the gender of

like, literally any of the past games' lords fill the same role as alear does, how are they legally distinct

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Miftan posted:

It used to be a real bad idea in the old game for a variety of reasons that don't seem to apply this time around.
i liked waiting to promote as long as possible in ye olden games because hitting stat caps was always very satisfying.

Yes, nephenee, make all of your numbers green. all of them.

its no longer relevant but the habit is omnipresent

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Terper posted:

sorry Engage... you're at the bottom!!
three houses unfortunately loses points because the stat caps are so loving bonkers high that you'd never hit them unless you used free missions to grind one character to like level 90.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Augus posted:

“I’m glad to have you fighting by my side, Micaiah!”
“I’m proud of how far you’ve come, Yunaka”
BOND LEVEL UP!
to be fair this one is accurate to the source material

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Tae posted:

What are the ??? weapons at the very bottom of refinement options?
click them and find out

its stuff like Killer Weapons, Levin Sword, one rank higher weapon, etc. You just have to look at the stats/sillouette and be able to tell

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

my alear has gotten two points of strength in 12 levels, send help

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Ya know, it's funny how the game has made cavalry look unappealing by giving them no unique bonus besides 1 extra move. Like why would I promote a mage to Mage Knight instead of keeping the ignore terrain bonus (which is important given +30 avoid is the minimum)
because the horsey gets a little wizard hat of their own and if you don't think thats rad as hell you're wrong

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I never saw the models so I retract myself, Mage Knight is the only valid promotion.

:kimchi:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

hortensia stop loving killing my units

i've had to reset time like 4 times now
this last time because she decided to hit a 10% crit chance :argh:

edit: SHE DID IT AGAIN, ON ALEAR THIS TIME. :argh: :argh: :argh:

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 23, 2023

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Bond levels via the Arena do feel *way* too cheap when you consider that making a random emblem ring into S rank costs 10k bond fragments.
speaking of the S-rank bond rings, has anyone found any interesting ones? My first S-rank was Alm, and he gave the windsweep ability in addition to stats. It's not a great skill by any means, but it's the only skill I've found on a ring.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

One of Leif's rings at S rank turns thunder into a brave weapon.
:stare:

of course, i find this out after chapter 11

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Harrow posted:

Something I really hope they keep in future games is the unit type system, the types like Mystical or Backup or Covert. They do a really good job of giving classes strong identities and are also an elegant way to make classes like Sage stay relevant when Mage Knight or the couple flying mages you get are an option.

Sure, you could dump your infantry mages and go for mounted or flying ones, but those are Cavalry or Flying type and lose the ability to ignore the target's terrain bonuses, so it's an actual trade-off for the extra mobility. Similarly, sure you could reclass your Thieves to Wolf Knights, but then they lose the Covert typing that makes them untouchable with any sort of terrain avoid bonus--again, a trade-off that's actually worth stopping to think about. You could make all of your melee units Wyvern Knights pretty easily, but those are Flying type, not Backup type, so you lose the ability to have them do chain attacks (which it turns out can be pretty drat powerful with some skill support).

edit: now that I think about it, the pattern seems to be that infantry units have really useful type bonuses, while the type bonuses for mounted unit types are just "more mobility." That means there's actually a strong reason to use a variety of infantry classes, because as great as mobility is, those infantry type bonuses (Chain Attack, Chain Guard, covert terrain bonus, mystical terrain ignoring, immunity to break) are really good and often worth keeping.
having backup/covert/chain guard/etc as a way to differentiate classes owns, and if this doesnt make a return i will be sad

also i love that the designated healer in this game is also the dedicated "punch the poo poo out of things" button. framme was my healer who occasionally killed people who weren't wearing armor. then i got lyn's ring and she became the world's strongest kung-fu master who will occasionally begrudgingly heals people

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

avoraciopoctules posted:

I've been taking my time with Fire Emblem: Engage, but I'm enjoying it so far. On Hard/Casual, I started having a really good time with the tactical gameplay around chapter 5. Just finished the first paralogue and started my first skirmish, only to discover that I was probably going to have to actually think a bit about my unit placement, since I REALLY should have put a sword unit and a mage on the second placement group.

The stuff in the intro movie with evil-looking all-red-hair Alear was setting me up to think that they are going for the KOTOR twist where you were a big bad dark lord originally, and Dragon Mom was gaslighting you onto Team Hero. This was furthered by the flashback and how she could make Corrupted that were basically interchangeable with the zombie mobs. Alas, she got punked pretty early, and I suspect the writers have something a little different in mind.

Whether this turns out to be Fire Emblem Shadow The Hedgehog or not, I'm really liking the new differentiation between units. I have a lot more reason to care about my brigand and armor goons, and I think I agree with the reviews that say Engage is elevating the tactical combat. First few supports I saw were mostly boring, but Framme has gotten some excellent lines.
the plot really isnt subtle about foreshadowing, i will be surprised if they dont have a twist where you're the fell dragon's kid and lumera spent 1000 years filling you with divine juice to make you into her own kid for whatever reason

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Late game speculation:
I just guessed Lumera and the Fell Dragon had a fling, hence the Switch hair.
my speculation is that either Lumera and Sombron are bitter exes and Lumera took Alear in the divorce, which means the toothpaste hair comes naturally, OR, Alear was purely Fell Dragon in the past and the two-toned hair is the result of Lumera slowly converting her to Divine Dragon. She just woke up before it was finished, whoops. I'm leaning towards the latter for two reasons: we've seen Pure Red Alear twice - both in the intro and in the dream sequence - but no Pure Blue Alear. The second reason is that it also explains why Marth's reaction to Alear asking about their past is "Uh... you were... kind. Yeah. Very nice and kind and non-evil. Like you are now!" - which would make sense if pre-sleepytime Alear was a force of destruction and chaos - he doesn't have much else to go off of so he's just ad libbing.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

okay i am now genuinely mad

I scanned in two fire emblem amiibo the other day, and each one gave me an outfit and music ticket. "this is neat" i thought, "it's annoying that they would lock this mechanic behind amiibo in the first place, but that just makes it a daily thing. I'll just unlock Micaiah and Celica's outfits for now, and unlock the other ones when they become available."

HAHA. FUNNY JOKE.

because I scanned in those same amiibo tags today, and I got: 1x relay ticket, 1x potato

you get one outfit ticket per amiibo. want to unlock all the outfits? gently caress you, you need all twelve.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

what's the best way to farm money that isn't "use DLC items to make anna's luck stat broken and get cash from her personal skill"

i ask because i am perpetually starved for money

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i just used Lyn's shadow clone jutsu skill and i cant believe i didn't realize it gives your clones the Mani Katti :getin:

the dodge and critical rates were already disgusting on Framme, I can't imagine what kind of nonsense Yunaka could get up to with this thing. Sadly, it seems you can't move them around after the fact, but it's great for enemy phase silliness.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Harrow posted:

drat it, Yunaka, I want to keep using you but if you're going to never gain strength at all I'm eventually going to have to replace you with Zelkov
make up for her lack of strength by giving her a better, more lethal knife
im sure zelkov is great, but can he surpass the funny clown assassin girl? no

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

RoboCicero posted:

Yunaka is great. I love how she drops into her serious voice when she activates her :vd: mode.

oh yeah it loving rules
https://twitter.com/Waffliesinyofac/status/1617725815462187009

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i just got to meet fogado and wow this game really is Awakening 2: This Time It's Good

same basic character conceit, but with a couple of tiny tweaks and now it works.

Chrom is the Crown Prince and is supposed to be responsible, yet he's off galivanting around with his increasingly frustrated retainer. He's not even mobilized to deal with the threat of the Risen, he learns about them the same time you do. Robin gets brought to meet the queen because, uh. plot.

Fogado is just a Prince, and second sons are generally given carte blanch to just do whatever the gently caress, even before Solm's more free-spirited nature is taken into account. He's out protecting the border because there be monsters about and, as shown by Alear & the rest of the cast, it's really easy for people to get lost in the wastelands and die. Alear is brought to meet the queen because she introduces herself to everyone with "hello, I'm dragon jesus : )", and is therefore Important. Which makes it funny when the guy you assume to be the Captain of the Guard strolls up to the palace and goes "heeeeey guys, I'm hoome~!"

Just tiny tweaks and suddenly it's fun and good!!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

:allears:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

:allears:
there are so many fantastic characters in this game

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

this game is loving magical

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

belatedly realized that, because this game doesn't use all of the buttons (Y and – dont do anything, AFAIK), I'm able to use a GCN controller, and it's like i'm playing FE9/10 again. incredible

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Why does Zelkov talk like *this*? Adding *emphasis* to seemingly *random* words certainly was a decision.

(I'm assuming that in japanese the words in question were written with katakana instead of kanji, which is something that... really doesn't translate well to english at all.)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Harrow posted:

In his C support with Alear he says he does it just to mildly amuse himself.
okay i changed my mind, this is an A+ reason to randomly add emphasis, criticism retracted

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Harrow posted:

Yunaka + Corrin is such an insane combo lmao

Sure let's just let Yunaka bring her own Avoid terrain with her wherever she goes!
after 16 games in which thieves were mid-tier at best, engage has finally broken tradition, giving us the most efficient murder machine known to man

and all it took was removing the assassin class and letting everyone open chests & doors, thereby completely invalidating the previous niche role that thief filled

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

ike having an actually good voice actor now is once again making me wish for a hyptothetical FE9&10 HD remake that bundles both games together

you know you want to do it, intsys. you put him and micaiah in the game (and apparently have soren planned as DLC), you clearly like the tellius cast as much as anyone else

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

fun fact i learned in chapter 16 - is your Ike ring on a unit who can't quite reach the enemy due to those pesky tiles that restrict movement? Worry not! Great Aether can be activated right before you have an ally warp you into enemy territory!!

anyways i know Panette is the current favorite for Ike because lol wrath, but I'm having a lot of fun sticking him on Diamant and letting the guy smash the poo poo out of the enemy. He's a walking tank of doom.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I knew it was coming, but i still laughed
https://twitter.com/DemilyPyro/status/1618411396315901952
(chapter 10 spoilers)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i attempted one of the tower of trials battles

the "Recommended" difficulty setting was 27, so i set it down a couple notches to make it a little easier

every unit on my side was dead by turn 4 :stonklol:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Barreft posted:

Diamant hasn't left my party since I got him. he's a goddamn monster along with Kagetsu and Yunaka
i knew he was strong, but i've only just realized how goddamn tanky diamant is

he's 5 points off of louis' defense score... but not only do Ike's weapons all have their own innate +def buffs, but he also gets +def skills AND the buff from great aether. Combine that with Sol healing him (and, with a Crit weapon + Wrath, Sol basically always heals him to full health) and he cannot loving die.

oh, and in contrast to Louis, he has 22 speed and 6 move.

the only thing louis has over him is the fact that he can get broken by enemy attacks. But considering the enemy loves to try and break you, even if they only do 1 damage doing it, that might be a good thing?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

jesus christ marni is awful. Hold Out+ is loving broken on a boss.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Chapter 17: i got Sigurd's ring back and Louis was immediately MVP on the next skirmish map. Feels good. Love to slingshot my cannonball shaped son into a crowd of enemies armed with nothing but swords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i thought alfred wasn't very interesting and then he proceeded to be very mediocre statwise so him and his horse were put on bench duty as soon as i had 11 party members. im sorry alfred. its not me, it's you.