Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I decided to put Sigurd on Louis and holy poo poo, Louis becomes a one-man wrecking crew as long as nothing magic sneezes in his direction. It’s absurd how tanky he is and how much damage he can dish out and not be stuck with terrible Armor movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Also, I bought the DLC and I’m at Chapter 6 and I thought I should get the emblem band for the 3H trio but I’ve not gotten anything. Anyone have any clue how to get it? I know there should be a cutscene at lookout ridge but no dice. All the other DLc parts are there like the items.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I’m personally finding it very amusing to pick up the obligatory Expertise character (hi Jean) and chucking him to his death in the area. He gets pasted by pretty much every single person, but he somehow beat Micaiah of all people.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Sydin posted:

I cannot stand Jean's English VA work and will 100% not be using him even though I'd wager he's the prototypical level one kid with insane growths.

Also not a fan of Clanne but he keeps piling up Mag/Spd level ups so he can stay... for now.

I very much enjoy Jean’s English VA personally. It’s charmingly silly.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

For some odd reason, Etie has been one of my consistent carry characters. Considering the game blesses you with a Longbow early, she’s been strong enough to destroy fliers and dragons and also provide long distance poke. She’s just really solid and if you get her in pillars or somewhere with high avoid, good luck hitting her.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

It feels like Etie keeps getting MVP on my maps as her Longbow gets stupid amounts of mileage. I’m even finding it hard to justify using Alcryst, who seems really good, because I’m just committing to the Etie train.

Her speed is dire but I’m still getting good results.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

Are Great Knights armored or do you need to go for general? Their type is cavalry but they also have the armor icon.

They are Calvary and thus lose the unbreakable bonus. The armour icon is there for purposes of weapon bonuses like Armorslayer.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So is it worth working up to level 20 or is it ok to just rank up as soon as possible? I’ve chucked master seals on Jean and Alear but I got a new one and don’t know what to do.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My Etie keeps getting MVP on every map I field her. She’s got so much strength that any flier does if they sneeze in her direction. Fielding both her and Alcryst made him look even worse. She’s a walking ballista.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So I came across Jade and decided to reclass her into Axe Flyer because I already had Louis for a General and her growths are pretty accommodating. Having done so, I have zero regrets and she’s now a Wyvern flying agent of death whose only “problem” is that her speed isn’t the greatest so I chucked the speed wing on her, gave her Killer Lance and Axe and let her go to town and it’s beautiful.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Is there any difference between blue proficiencies and non-blue proficiencies?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So Panette in my game got Build 3 times in a row, which is making a very strong case to be a permanent member of the team. I also just love her design.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Panette is the real crit machine, I'm impressed by her. Hovering around 70% without supports atm.

Slap Ike on her and you can get to some absurd levels of crit. Panette is awesome and I love her so much. Mine got Build 3 levels in a row, which is enough to guarantee a place on my team.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I wanted to use Ivy. I wanted to like Ivy. However, she literally got only 2-3 stat level ups every single time I gave her a level and I could not in good faith award that nonsense.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So how do maddening fixed growths work? Are levels predetermined?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I’ve found that, at least with Hard, I’ve been able to stick with a fair few of my starter units like Etie, Chloe, Lapis and Jade. Jean and Anna are magic babies that kill and while I am picking up new people here and there (Panette is absurd), its definitely manageable. I can 100% see how it wouldn’t work in maddening because Skirmishes pop up like flies for me and I’ve invested into places to level 3. You get poo poo like Bolganone and a Brave Axe which is interesting.

While the story is frustrating and mediocre for me, I absolutely love the gameplay.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

Also shoutout to the Byleth paralogue that

has two warp staff priests that chain warp an enemy unit a billion spaces away and to start wailing on crystals

Ok, this poo poo caught me off guard and I sort of love the game for it.

How dare you use player strategies against the player! I wanted to get perfect crystals so had to reset when I had one of the Generals suddenly teleport and destroy one of the crystals.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Sticking Anna on Mage Knight has been working well for me. Extra movement is very appreciated and she has a tendency of annihilating any enemies that get in her way. Her passive is also helpful in making money.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

What would be a good class to reclass Rosado into? I reclassed Jade into a Wyvern Knight with the exact same weapons as him and I don’t want them competing over the same niche.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I feel like my army is slowly morphing into Flier Emblem with all these Wyvern Knights.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So I tried Eirika’s paralogue and that poo poo is no joke. The first time I’ve had to go “I’m going to come back later and hope for a better chance of not getting my teeth kicked in.”

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I enjoy how unabashedly confident and assholeish Goldmary is. While Hortensia is annoying in my opinion, her retainers are some of my favourite characters. Panette is also such a wonderful personality. I’m surprised how engaged (get it) I get with the characters. The thing that’s annoying is that building supports is a pain in the rear end.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So I’ve Given Ivy a billion chances. Heck, I even threw Tiki on her for Starsphere. She gets a level and…. It’s 2 stats. She literally only gains 2-3 stats on level up and I’ve given her so so so many chances to redeem herself. Why is she like this?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I wish there was an easy way to get SP for characters. There’s a whole bunch of skills I want to put on them but I don’t have access to Micaiah yet.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Spoilers for Leif’s paralogue. These Balistas are going to be the death of me. My team has 4 fliers and it does a huge chunk to even my tankiest members. I can use Astra Storm to deal with one of them but there are so many…

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Sydin posted:

Kinda cheesy but I ended up beating it by having Louis engaged with Sigurd just march down by himself tanking ballista shots (he took 1-2 damage per) until they ran out of ammo or he killed the marksman, then move everybody else up. You also don't need to deal with the last ballista if you don't want to: get somebody in range of Leif and he will run out and away from his group of friends to solo you, at which point you can dogpile him before the next enemy phase.

I managed to do it through a mixture of Astra Storm and my Paladin Goldmary with Sigurd either running down at the seige weapons or tanking it alongside Panette + Ike. Paladin Goldmary and Sigurd are turning out to be extremely absurd as with the Starsphere on her, Goldmary has gotten multiple levels where she gains every stat but two. I had to go down to my last time rewind for Leif but I managed. Him and Eirika definitely have some of the hardest paralogues.

I’m unsure if I should reclass Panette into Warrior or keep her in Berserker. S rank axes seem cool but she’s already hit caps in Dex and Defense and she probably could be getting more levels elsewhere. She’s already nearing level 20 in Berserker so I don’t know.

EDIT: I forgot to include this tweet:

https://twitter.com/branmci/status/1618744655851700225?s=46&t=VP_VYnKlyoRkDIhfGe31rQ

Alear do be suffering.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

I just unlocked the S Rank axe and it's like, fine, but I don't think it's better than a fully forged Killer Axe and going for max crits. And especially if paired with Ike, Urvan is stronger than the S Rank.

Coolio, changing her into a Warrior then. Thanks for the heads up~

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

In Hard Mode, Sigurd has been an absolute key emblem for my playthrough. I have him on my Paladin Goldmary, who is an absolute tank, and there are some obstacles that are far away but need to be dealt with or will cause significant pain such as freeze staffs, dragons, enemies with items on them or ballistas. Sigurd’s absurd movement bonuses help close those gaps and make those challenges much more manageable and Goldmary is so tanky that she shrugs off most attacks and counter attacks back. The engage attack is great and chunking out HP from a line of enemies and Canter is so ridiculously good for positioning that he deserves higher than B on that alone.

Panette Ike have been my go to “go alone into the middle of the enemy and kill everyone while tanking everything.” While they struggle against magic damage and chain attack cheese to some degree, they’ve gotten me MVP so many times that I’ve lost count. Adding Vantage from Leif also adds to he hilarity of the situation.

Outside of that, I’m surprised how much I enjoyed the Hounds towards the end of the game. Except maybe Marni. Her heel face turn was a bit out of nowhere for me to truly appreciate her. I loved the scene between Griss and Zephia at their final battle and I love love love Mauvier. I’d thought he’d be boring but I just ended up being charmed by him and ended up romancing him. Maybe I have a thing for brooding daddies. Veyle has been fun too, especially when she encounters the hounds in fights.

While I don’t think the writing is as solid as 3H, I enjoy the writing in Engage for what it is. It’s cheesy and schlocky, but we need that in our lives sometimes.

EDIT:

Pureauthor posted:

Getting Build skills seems not worth when you could just get Spd skills instead

Some characters I’ve used had extreme build problems *cough Etie and Veyle*. It’s a cheaper way to help with those issues plus if you really wanted to, you can stack speed AND build for shits and giggles.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 30, 2023

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Hortensia’s retainers are absolutely amazing. Rosado and Goldmary are great characters and while I don’t like Hortensia as much, I don’t hate her as much as I did earlier in the story.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

This man is a complete idiot and I love him for it. While I don’t use him in my party, his supports are a delight.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Harrow posted:

"Earnest and charming" is a great description of Engage, yeah. I can see why people compared it to Dragon Quest or FFV a bit before release, because the main strengths of its story and cast are just that it's shamelessly earnest and is all-in on charm above all else. That absolutely works on me every time.

I was ready to come into this with skepticism as one of those anniversary games that just relies on nostalgic value like FE Heroes. Admittedly, the Somnium stuff wore me down. Then I realised that poo poo was optional and fell in love with the sincerity of the story-telling, trite as it is. It’s a different experience to Three Houses and that’s fine.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So for Maddening, is it worth donating to countries or should I put that money towards Forges?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Kanos posted:

Donate for the first additional level for each country because it boosts your forge material income on missions in those areas(maybe holding off on elusia because you don't really do a lot there until later) and then forget the system exists.

As in upgrade them to level 2 or level 3?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Any good early forge memes for maddening? I was thinking of giving Louis a silver greatlance asap so he can just delete an enemy on demand.

I’ve heard good things above forging knives for Yunaka and forging fists for Framme.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Oh god, how do you deal with the Chapter 5 thief on Maddening? Everything is so strong :psyduck:. Ironically, I had an easier time with Chapter 4 than I anticipated.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I’m tempted to try Halberdier Jean, but build is going to be a huge issue as Lance Knight don’t get Build growths at all.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So I think I’m going to try Hero Jean as I have Navarre S and that sounds funny.

Also, I started a Maddening run and just about to get to Chapter 8. Strangely, my MVP unit has been Alfred with Sigurd. He’s bailed me out of so many situations with multi-killing Overdrives while being tanky enough to absorb hits. Considering how terrible he was in my hard playthrough, this is an extremely strange turn of events. I even benched Louis for the mission, which was extremely weird.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

PoundofHumanHair posted:

Alfred has actually been pretty good on my Hard mode play through. He isn’t a monster, but he tends to get the job done with how hard he can hit.

That said, it’s always good to see the consensus is that Louis is a god.

Louis feels similar to Vander in the sense that he’s strong early game but falls off as the game goes on. Granted, he won’t be falling off as much as Vander does because lol Jeigan.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So I’m trying to be optimal and get a huge Great Sacrifice to help train up my Jean and so I have my Alfred, probably my strongest unit, attack and soften up the boss.

Alfred proceeds to CRIT THE BOSS AND END THE ENCOUNTER, MEANING I LOST A HUGE AMOUNT OF EXPERIENCE.

Goddammit Alfred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So it’s around Chapter 9 and I want to try out Tiki’s paralogue.

This is hell.

What the gently caress is this poo poo.