Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

imo the Engage rings opening up new tactical opportunities is a good thing. It kind of feels like the series was missing something like this, along with smarter enemy AI to encourage more aggressive moves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

you know for the longest time, due to the original art, I always thought Sigurd had one of those pencil thin, 80s mustaches to make him look more mature or whatever. I'm kind of disappointed he doesn't!

hoping that DLC has a Seliph Engage ring that lets him ask Sigurd wtf were you thinking

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My tier ranking with explanations as needed:

S: FE9/FE10
A: Awakening (primarily due to bringing the series back from the brink… we’re lucky that we can debate the series as we do now :v:), Echoes, Stones, Blazing Sword
B: 3H, Conquest
C: FE6, FE11, FE12, Birthright
C-: Revelation
Haven’t played:
Genealogy, but I read Metis’s LP, seems cool, will play if there’s an Echoes style remake
Thracia

When it comes to this series, I like the fact that the developers are always trying to do something different. The games are mostly enjoyable in my opinion. I think reclassing is mostly okay, but I get why people are feeling burnt out on it seeing as how it’s been in the every game since the series got its second wind. I think the method Engage is using hits the right spot. You get rewarded with a new class if you think outside the box and use the rings with characters that may or may not be optimal. I think the flexibility in choosing what you want your characters to do and building your strategy from there is fine. I can also see how that could diminish the kind of map and objectives you can design if you have to design with an unbalanced lineup in mind.

Next weekend is going to be a lot of fun

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

See I thought that name was Sapphic and I thought IS was being a touch on the nose there

But yeah buff lady knight is the kind of character we haven’t seen since literally Echidna

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I put my preorder in through Amazon. First time doing that, have there been issues where people wait a while to get their game? I wanted to order the digital code but that wasn’t working for some reason

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I like how Vander’s idea of casual wear is a three piece suit with a monocle

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Wolf Knights look baller as hell

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m having fun playing FE

I couldn’t get the chests from Chapter 5 on Hard because that initial wave of enemies was pretty tough to beat with how my units are turning out early on. I paired Etie with Sigurd just to try an archer as a mobile hit and run type given how she’s gotten a bunch of strength and speed early on. It worked! Think I might have her and Alear swap just to gain more weapon proficiencies and such

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

blizzardvizard posted:

The key was to give Sigurd to Louis and have him Override during that one turn 4 enemies are lined up in the corridor, thus blocking the thief :eng101:

They even showed it off in prerelease!

Oh that would have been so smart! Definitely gonna try it next time around.

The class and weapon rank system makes so much more sense this time around

Boucheron kind of stinks imo

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Yunaka completely owns??

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The conversation that the Emblem 3H lords were having inside the ring was just Edelgard reading pages and pages of online discourse

I’ve been giving horse poo to my worst performing units so the Somniel does have its purpose

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 21, 2023

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Chain guard is busted

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’ve had to staple Boucheron to the bench. Just couldn’t hack it with enemies starting to get a bit tougher. A shame he didn’t make enough gains to stay in in this run.

Lapis was a freaking godsend because I only had Alear as my sword unit and there’s a ton of axes. Can’t really rely on her dodge tanking either

Game is excellent

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

imo the writing is a throwback to the GBA era of FE, which was fine because it wasn’t as frilled up with some of the stuff we’ve gotten in the 3DS/Switch era. Not all writing has to be this thought provoking stuff. This does what it wants to do well, which is totally okay.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Yeah, I promoted Alear and Etie and the gains have been extremely helpful. My biggest question is when do you gain an Axe emblem? I want to make someone a Hero and I’ve already got enough Lance users

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Generals don’t need move when they’ve got Sigurd

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

It also can't be understated how good having no weapon levels is

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

they knew

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Chapter 8 is a real drat good defense map

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Sigurd to Jean: "Should one as young as you be exposed to war?"

Also Sigurd: leaves Seliph with Oifey and uh the rest of Gen 1 happens

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Is there a lore reason for Leif giving out weapon proficiencies like crazy? I never played Thracia but I’m guessing that’s a nod to that game?

It almost feels worth it to give every main roster member a training session to pick up all the weapons for experimenting purposes. I love how easy it is to train bond ranks too

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Barreft posted:

imho without the spoiler chars

This is based on nothing but feels

Lapis and Citrenne should be in the B tier imo but I mostly agree

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Detective No. 27 posted:

Lmao, Edelgard’s weapon art is called Atrocity.

Actually, that’s the one for Dimitri’s weapon art. Edelgard’s is Raging Storm, the one that lets you move again after using it

I like the gimmicks this time around in support convos. Jean and Chloe’s was funny because Jean gave Chloe stomach medicine for all the weird poo poo she eats

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Alcryst and Diamant have real good lines in Chapter 10

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Lapis being a master at building is a funny character beat

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Chapter 11: from a meta perspective, kind of owns that your two new Emblems represent the games that made the franchise a western hit and the one that saved it from total ruin

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bunet's VA is also Whis and so he's an auto add to my party

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Solm is funny as hell. Seforia is a cool mom

Ike’s ring? idk it’s in a box of random poo poo somewhere

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m getting the sense that hard is tuned for you to use new recruits over older units, as the stat creep is getting to be a lot for units with prior investment who haven’t hit good levels consistently.

That means Run 2 is going to be on Normal to try a bunch of weird poo poo

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I made Pandreo my Martial Master since Framme didn’t work out for me. He fills in pretty impeccably without missing a beat

My party at Chapter 16 is Alear, Alcryst, Timerra, Ivy, Pandreo, Lapis, Chloe, Yunaka, Diamant as the main nine. I try to rotate in Fogado, Zelkov, Celine, Louis, Panette, Kagetsu, and Merrin as needed. I want to make Hortensia work but does an extra square of range for staves really matter that much?

Game still good, it might be the one game I replay right away because I can’t get enough lol

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

imo it's kind of funny that Emblem Corrin's Dragon Vein works the way we all thought they would back in FE16's reign

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The only thing you should check for post-battle is forge materials, as far as I can tell bond fragments are given to you automatically

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hortensia running around and sizing up everyone in the army based on solely cuteness is pretty funny

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Chapter 17 kicked my rear end on Hard, any tips? I think my mistake was splitting forces to the lower west and north. I plotted it out so that I could clear the starting area, but now I'm thinking I press north to rush Griss and take it from the middle? Mauvier and Marni carved my forces up

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hoping the FE4 remake has some type of the same system with Engages and all that. The Engage system is very much like the turnwheel in that this simply can’t go away because it’s so much of a paradigm shift for the gameplay

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Imo it owns that Lyn clones are a reference to GBA swordmaster crit animations

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Did anyone use Amber? I kinda felt bad for immediately benching him after his introductory map but I also didn’t have a good mounted unit afterwards

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

For forge material shenanigans, does it matter what kind of dog you have out on the farm?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m running Jean as a Halberdier and the outfit is pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think Vander might be internally level 11 or 21, given that his XP rate is so slow

I wonder if he has a niche as a general though, I personally haven’t used him given that Alfred comes in and does his job better with a few levels