Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I hate that I find the gameplay from this looking really good because everything else is such that it will only make me irate if I play the drat thing. I hate that this is FE for the next few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Open up your heart and accept the anime into it

It should be like the anime I like and not like the anime I don't like.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tae posted:

Maybe seriously don't play it, judging by the last 3 years unless you want to be the equivalent of the 500 hour ff15 weirdo here that hated every second

I've watched both seasons of Picard so I am really bad when it comes to not making choices that will cause me nothing but pain.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

Peak anime aesthetic is 90s anime, and I’m irate Sigurd doesn’t have his gigantic poofy mullet anymore

Sommie loving wishes it looked as cute as Pochita. :colbert:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I really love Genshin Impact. I also loathe the look and style of Engage. I'm with Endorph in really questioning how people say they are similar. If Engage was like Genshin It would eliminate at least half the reasons I hate it. Genshin's style is comparatively subdued while I'm sure even the fans of Pikazo's style would say she's using the artistic equivalent of all caps when it comes to color.

Also muted colors are awesome and while I hate how 3H looks, I blame issues more like anti-aliasing and just the engine being rear end instead of the art style. Chainsaw Man is also the best anime of the season by far and it's muted, checkmate atheists.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

chainsaw man's anime is okay but its not really as good as the manga and bocchi, g-witch, blue lock, and akiba maid war were all significantly better, imo

They added a two minute long mostly dialogueless sequence of Aki getting ready for work. That wasn't in the manga. I think that's amazing and shows they get the manga. Also I think the anime is much better paced than the manga, the anime better paces out the fights and the slower more important stuff while I felt the manga was breathless a lot of the time. Bocchi and G-Witch are both great, but only G-Witch is what I'd say was on CSM's level and I put CSM above it because I'm a massive fan of both.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any especially egregious Engage designs besides Alear, Hortensia, and maybe Panette? Timerra too I guess but I think it works for her.

I find there are handful of really colourful designs for sure but... there are a lot more characters that are the typical cast of coloured weirdos Fire Emblem always has. The majority of the cast to me wouldn't look terribly out of place in any other Fire Emblem, even Three Houses (post-timeskip).

Not full-body art, but for reference:

Some of the designs I think are really good/would fit in any other FE:

I think Panette is as bad as Alear so much worse than you think she is. Pissing off I'm sure most of the thread but like the colors of Alear's design make it fail to work, but the everything about Celines is not something I enjoy. Timerra would be totally fine with different colors to tone down the loudness. Zelkov's color scheme is weird given he's just a one off ashen skinned guy. Why is Boucheron half turtle?

You're that the majority are fine, but it's how the total is presented that makes me dislike them. Also the tone, but that's entirely separate from the art.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 9, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

i mean theres people in real life with that skin tone

Really? His skin looks like actually black, like he's a drow or something.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

None of us can help how we feel so I think that's a shame that the art style has been contentious for you. I really like this cast so far and I'm able to look past the designs I don't like as much. All I can hope is that the character writing holds up. But all that aside, Engage looks really fun mechanically, and that's what I'm here for at the end of the day.

I think my least favourite designs are Hortensia are Marni, but

1) Clowns deserve representation too, and
2) I can punch both of them

It's the tone that's the nail in the coffin for me. The gameplay honestly looks amazing, but I don't know if I could handle the writing based off the stuff that's come out this week. Three Houses had characters that really felt human to me with a ton of depth and going back to Awakening tier characters is a nightmare.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

not to become the fire emblem engage thread skin tone speaker but while it obviously isnt the exact same as these it feels like it falls into the same spectrum. his skin's a little ashier but that feels like reasonable variation + partly a result of anime artstyle flattening out how skintones can shift across a person's face. theres skintones that arent that common in north america/europe but can be found elsewhere.

heck you ever seen khoudia diop.

skin tones are a pretty broad spectrum

Oh wow the bottom right woman is basically that so I stand corrected. I always thought the just basically #000000 (to avoid just saying black a lot given it can be confusing) skin was a pure fantasy thing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah the point was I thought he just had a pure fantasy skin tone and he doesn't and it's neat to learn that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Honestly I'm just kinda sick of how the people who keep bitching about Engage, the silly anniversary game, only played 3Houses and won't stop crying about the tone or whatever.

Jugdral and Tellius exist. It's not like every previous FE was like Awakening or the GBA games, and even Sacred Stones was an example of that very simple story told well.

Junpei posted:

Eimi, there's the simple fact that Three Houses was a deviation from the norm for an FE plot, and plots like Engage is shaping up to have were the semi-standard before this point. Engage isn't a deviation, it's a return to something more simple. And there's nothing wrong with revisiting the roots.

I got a taste of nuance and hosed up background details and I crave more.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The stupidly long anime hair is great, and if maintaining hair that wasn't even half that long wasn't a nightmare I would do so.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It would in fact be cuter if Rosado could ride a pegasus but instead thinks his wyvern is cuter instead of just being banned from riding one.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

wait if wyvern rider and griffin rider are the advanced classes, is there no falco knight?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The removal of S ranks stings the most for me, I really like the romance and shipping stuff and S ranks just like...make that easier and secure you getting that ship? I don't see why they're wrong if they aren't restricted to straight romances for the purposes of babies. It also stops the weirdness of suddenly getting 4 a ranks and 3 of them are romantic for whatever reason.

On player avatars in general, I would be fine if they had a set name and you just choose their gender. It's the picking a gender that matters as I like to have a girl character who represents me in the game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

three houses kinda handled it weirdly but in an ideal world the no s-ranks thing allows for things like non-romantic paired endings, or paired endings with more ambiguity/complexity than 'they got married and lived happily ever after.' the s-rank pairing system creates a sort of 'endstate' for supports that both makes the supports that don't have s-ranks feel less important limits what you can do with the paired endings.

Three Houses was a nightmare because of how it determined who had paired endings. And that's what I'd worry about in a game with only A ranks. Even if the S rank wasn't a support at all but just you saying I want their paired ending, that'd be enough for me.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

mycatscrimes posted:

I've been thinking of it as whether people think of it as a first person game, where they want to project themselves into the world, or a game where they want to experience it more as a story unfolding that they are viewing, rather than being a character in. The series is pretty clearly finding more success using the former strategy, which is fine, but does mean it no longer scratches the same itch if you prefer the latter experience. There probably are turn based strategy games that are a better experience for the latter these days. Don't know which ones are good, though.

See I'm just the kind of person where I experience games the former way in general. Like in FE9 I feel like Ike is meant to be me and on some level it does damage my connection to the game. That's why even if the protagonist is fixed I just prefer playing a girl and the option to make the protagonist a girl.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Famicom games are untiered because I never played them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Terper posted:

still looking forward to fire emblem: path to dawn, the fe9+10 collection remaster

Only change is that skip animations actually works. Also animations are way faster in general.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It's baseline difficulty options were on the easier side with Maddening, which only came via dlc well after launch being a substantial step up. As well the tactical gameplay could become sludge with the free reclassing and terrible balance in approach where one option is just clearly superior.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

Heads up: The game is leaking either now or very soon. There are shots of the special edition art book out with some characters completely unseen in previews.

Good, let the leaks flow. Maybe there's something buried in this game to make it worth getting.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tae posted:

Eimi, genuinely what is wrong with your brain

Literally most normal people would just go "not for me" and move on but you are going ex-crazy here

I mean yes in general, I'm bad at saying not for me when it's connected to something I like. And the gameplay does look good. And you know just wanting to take part in the conversation. Again I'm a Star Trek fan and forced myself through two seasons of Picard, which is far worse than this game could ever be.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What did you get out of Sacred Stones (a game you listed in your top 5 FEs) that you don't think you will be getting in this game?

At least so much that you need to constantly be saying how much you hate everything about the previews of this videogame

So the biggest thing I hate about this game are it's tone and character design. The GBA era is easily my favorite aesthetic style FE has had, and while FE8 had some great comedy moments (Were I not a holy woman) the tone felt serious, unlike the preview stuff I had, which is exaggerated instead of anything naturalistic. I mean it's a vibes based thing so even if the story is simple it's all in how it's presented.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

The weak fan says 'I'm gonna give this one a miss/this ain't my jam'

The strong fan reiterates that the series is dead and ruined. Also it's probably Norura's fault somehow.

If I don't watch all the worst episodes of Star Trek how will I complain about them with other Star Trek fans?!

also see that leak is great.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

I would buy a dozen copies and give them away to strangers on the street if this was true

Yeah that's the sort of thing that would get me to buy it immediately.

Endorph posted:

crimson flower was a last minute addition which really shows how much of a scramble three houses was because can you imagine that game *without* crimson flower lmao

Yeah ultimately that's the thing Crimson Flower is so good, it's 3H to me. I've replayed it like 3-4 times at this point, without touching the other routes. I tried, but I never could do AG or VW, I'd get to like chapter 7 and just be like I don't want to fight against Edelgard, time to quit and do CF again. Even with character depth, I can't imagine a super polished AG, because it'd feel like FE4 again only Arvis was even more right than he already was.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It's the cast that drags Birthright down, Conquest's story is horrible but I at least like the Nohrians, the Hoshidans by contrast are as interesting as watching paint dry, with the sole exception of Azama.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

also game's out in the wild, there's a leaks thread on serenes's forum if you're curious. would request people don't post major plot/gameplay spoilers here, but if youre curious on map design/difficulty: there's a defense map, an escape map, and a map where a playable unit is an npc in danger that rescuing is an optional side objective.

the game also definitely seems like it has some teeth, the escape map features multiple enemies with emblems and monsters chasing you even on normal, and an enemy with a 10 range staff that inflicts break. (wonder if freeze/entrap make a return on maddening)

Going through those new leaks are surprising in a good way. In a way feels like how I felt about Pokemon SV, where the marketing was horrible and tipped me to not buying it, but then leaks came out and showed there is stuff I'd be into in the game afterall.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

i mean tbh the marketing is fine, its not like they could show this stuff, people just have an impulse to assume/read a lot into stuff.

Engage's is better than SV, especially to the people it already appeals to, it's better for that angle. It does honestly lean me towards just going for playing it, since the gameplay leaks are really exciting.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

lih posted:

what exactly was it that changed your mind out of curiosity? given everything else i'm not very surprised that the map design seems pretty good & interesting and that's about the main detail that's coming through from these leaks

Some story details and how they play into gameplay. You lose Divine Pulse and your engages in ch10. That's a ballsy decision if nothing else. As well some story details, but they pushed on and revealed they are going the boring route with them, Veyle is evil but shocker she's being controlled.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

i dont think a random white haired girl being actually evil would be much of a twist in a fire emblem game anyway tbh

It just would've been fun to have the commit especially since they are just p2 Alear.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

For Awakening, how much were you abusing Pair Up and Fred? Both of them are extremely strong crutches, but if you just played say a GBA title, they feel weird and awkward to use, "Why would I want to remove half my army?" and all that. Robin and Chrom work fantastically together and along with Fred softening up targets should be enough to start to get you on top of the exp curve.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

mabels big day posted:

I am interested in knowing this part as well

:hmmyes: getting the paired endings will be nice to see/how any is chosen for Alear.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Wait, there are no paired endings for anyone but Alear? wtf? :psyduck:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

further romance stuff:

lol, all the paired endings start with 'your partner, ___' in jp and the characters who constantly mention 'friendship' don't do so in jp. brave NoA once again butchering half the gay content in the game, god bless.

i mean i guess they spared us hortensia but come on.

gently caress you treehouse/noa whoever was responsible.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

And in Three Hopes it was Mercenary even if given how old Shez is there's a good chance they've been working as a general (in AG and SB) for as long as they were properly a merc anyway.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'd rather they just be named Robin/Corrin/Byleth/Alear, that's what I think of them as anyway, and hearing their name is worth way more than changing their name to my gamertag or whatever.

RareAcumen posted:

You know, it'd be kinda neat if people had regional or personal variants on how they addressed you actually. Divine One, Exalted One, Your Grace, My Liege, Commander, etc.

That would be fine too.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Shillup complaining about missing the social sim stuff when he never finished a single run of 3 houses... it kinda shows. I feel like a lot of people never got to the point where the social sim thing just becomes a huge downtime drain that detracts from the core gameplay.

:psyduck: why the gently caress is shillup reviewing Engage, that is way outside of his wheelhouse.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I fully recognize that, even if I drat it's gameplay issues the most, but it also manages to be my favorite FE for it's characters and themes and the plot it does have. It could be absolutely done way better, and I get how that can get people to knock it, but it's characters make it stand head and shoulders above everything else thus far, and characters of that level of depth are what I'm going to miss the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Three Houses wants to be a morally grey conflict and mostly succeeds but just cannot resist adding in a completely evil faction of ugly dudes (with one hot chick) that does all the real bad stuff.

And the plot doesn't even need them is the worst part, it could've just been as a result of a power struggle in the empire and them getting their hands on Agarthan technology. That would still foist off a lot of the bad stuff onto a third party, but they'd be a human party with actual ties to the cast at least.