Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Started Fire Emblem ENGAGE last night. I've only played Awakening, and then a few hours of Fates Birthright but it didn't grab me (too much guff with the pocket time baby soldier dimension i think). I have a friend who loves the franchise and she's been saying that she didn't care for the story, but she greatly enjoyed the gameplay.

I can see loving why because this isn't some kingdoms at war story, this is motherfucking Kamen Rider Decade/Zi-O and/or Gokaiger/Zenkaiger. That's a loving Tokusatsu OP and a henshin and these first chapters you're fighting toku goons. Someone at Intelligent Systems really put his toku dvds on the table during the board meeting about how to make an anniversary Fire Emblem game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Really enjoy every part of hte presentation so far. Did not really care for the dragon mommy but i'm very into pretty much everything else and i'm hoping a map turns out to be the abandoned warehouse, if not at least a quarry or three. BUT YOU AIN'T GETTING ANY MORE POSTS FROM ME FOR A FEW MONTHS BECAUSE THE XENOBLADE 3 DLC IS NEXT WEEK AND THEN TEARS OF THE KINGDOM

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

Really enjoy every part of hte presentation so far. Did not really care for the dragon mommy but i'm very into pretty much everything else and i'm hoping a map turns out to be the abandoned warehouse, if not at least a quarry or three. BUT YOU AIN'T GETTING ANY MORE POSTS FROM ME FOR A FEW MONTHS BECAUSE THE XENOBLADE 3 DLC IS NEXT WEEK AND THEN TEARS OF THE KINGDOM

Six months later and I'm at chapter 22. I've been enjoying it plenty but it's a side game for me between major switch releases or to play before bed when I'm mostly using my PS5. Goal is to finish before next week Friday for obvious reasons.

Fun cast of freakazoids. Main story is indeed a weak anniversary toku show. Very enjoyable maps. Ch22 lol at alear dying but lady veyle gets her dramatic moment rescuing the cast from despair with the OP playing... Except gameplay can't support a combat section for this moment, and the budget can't support acting, so jrock is blaring while everyone stands in place expressionless after 7 minutes of doing that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

double post but holy poo poo, there's no way the final 4 chapters give me as much of a high as Marth's paralogue just did. Went straight to Marth. one turn prep, second turn mostly prep and then break the door, summon clones in front of it. third turn Chloe with Sigurd OVERRIDE on the train of goons lined up that let me put some damage into marth. Warp Ragnarok. Hortensia and Seadall team up to teleport 6 people up in Marth's studio apartment. Kill the couple goons there with weaker units so the heavy hitters get some clean hits in. Pandreo has Byleth so he does the hustle and everyone hits Marth all over again. Ivy got 2 attacks in and she's got that dragonic hex so he's been debuffed twice. The final attack was Kagetsu, with two 30 damage hits, when Marth had like 20 HP left. Goddamn I'm still riding that high. This game is so hyperaggressive i love it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

mycatscrimes posted:

The paralouges are so good.

I really like the preambles on them where like, Ike talks about being a mercenary cooped up in a church having to fight to survive, or one of the characters talking about how they had to fight with Ike to determine how to save this town of cursed people, or how Lynn's village was wiped off the map and other stuff i'm half remembering, and Alear, who is just dealing with super sentai villains who quickly fold and turn good after talking about their sad family lives, just goes "that's rough :/" but also this complex tragic scenario really just teaches you about friendship.

This is really, really the anniversary toku show of Fire Emblem because the main plot is nothing but every character is fun and the cameo cast is all busted strong. What a good one for my second ever fire emblem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Finished engage last night with hours to spare for spider-man and mario lol. Really liked it! Skipped the last wave of dudes on the final boss, for a story about alear learning about family and all that poo poo, he did little to help when Amber and Kagetsu knocked down like 340 HP together. Easy 9/10, a lot of very good maps and fights, very rewarding when you figure out how psycho you can go.

The story wasn't great, but gently caress me, i've been into Toku since like 5 years old. Literally started learning English with Power Rangers, so when Alear does a speech about Kizuna and both sets of allies do the sentai lineups, one of which is after a full-on henshin rollcall, well, I popped. The villains that die and open up to each other during their deaths was also very, very good. Very strong last few hours.

Clocked at 74 hours.

The credits made me lose my goddamned mind because I never noticed I had Alfred killed like 4 hours into the game. His portrait was gray and the game told me he was defeated in Firene Castle. I kept making fun of him in cutscenes because I never used him

also did Classic/Hard the whole way through ok now i go pick up mario and spider-man