Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Will you be using Engages to bolster unit's existing strengths, going 'with' the flow as it were (ie Marth goes on Alear because they get that bonus from being a Dragon, giving Sigurd to someone mounted, etc), or will you be using them to expand options on other units (ie by using Celica on, say, Chloe so she can cross-train into magic classes)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Definitely going to be looking forward to Hortensia's passive +1 to staff ranges, that's fun.

Like that Zelkov and Yunaka have passives encouraging them to hide in a forest/dodgy tile, Yunaka with the crit and Zelkov with the bigger dodge chance.

Alcryst's seems solid if you always have a meat shield near him.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Panette is a young girl berserker goth. I'm sold.

Plus she's got a party-loving priest older brother. I like them and can't wait to use them.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Eimi, there's the simple fact that Three Houses was a deviation from the norm for an FE plot, and plots like Engage is shaping up to have were the semi-standard before this point. Engage isn't a deviation, it's a return to something more simple. And there's nothing wrong with revisiting the roots.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If nothing else, we know that

At point A in the plot, we're fighting against Elusia, including boss fights with Hortensia and Ivy flanked by Rosado + Goldmary/Kagetsu and Zelkov.
At later point B in the plot, all 6 of them have joined the party.

So clearly, something happens between Point A and Point B in the plot that makes the Elusians, who have been stated to be Evil Dragon Worshippers, to swap sides.

That's a bit more nuance than your evil dragon worshipping cult/country usually gets in your typical FE where they're all evil and unrecruitable (except for the blonde Paladin who's good and unrecruitable).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
My favorite design right now is Kagetsu.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay it's bothering me too much that of the Elusian retainer team, Kagetsu and Goldmary are clearly promoted (Swordmaster and Hero), Rosado is probably promoted, but Zelkov-the one of the four that seems the oldest-is an unpromoted Thief. He should be an Assassin!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Fire Emblem Enrage

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Boucheron legit looks like he wants to contact HR about this right now.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

then there's fe4 which has good ideas but is told primarily through the means of the seventeenth guy reusing this portrait going YES MY LORD and summoning 50 wyvern riders

This is why I can't wait for an FE4 Echoes: It'll solve this problem by giving all 17 of those guys semi-unique looks and slightly more dialogue.

And also it'll expand on the cast a bit. FE4's cast is a bit of a step up from the first three games because the marriage system gives everyone at least a little dialogue, plus Talks, but it will really be a big boon to the smaller cast members like Azel and the like.

Like, Mae and Boey had 2 lines of dialogue before and Echoes came along and made me love them. Imagine what an FE4 remake could do.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Which Alear are you planning on playing as, and who are you going to focus on in the hopes of romancing them?

I'm going F!Alear to romance Pandreo.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
There's just variations on existing classes. Like Goldmarie is a Hero, just one with Lance's as a side weapon instead of Axes.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
People still talked about which characters they liked hooking up before Awakening. Remember Lyn x Eliwood, vs Hector vs Florina? Ike x Ranulf vs. Soren? FE8's bugnuts Eirika/Ephraim/Tana/Innes/L'Arachel/Lyon web?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm talking about the broader "S Ranks destroyed discussions of FE characters" point

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I feel like one step behind Alear (MC with a defined appearance and name but you can pick your gender) would be fine, satisfy the ladies who don't want to have to play a dude while also still letting you have a defined character arc.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So apparently in Japanese, Zelkov has this "gimmick" of "emphasizing" random words, which makes him sound "more menacing" or "strange", but everyone I've seen talking about this just says it makes him sound like a Jojo character from Part 7.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I liked a few of the Hoshidans, or at least elements of them. Oboro was neat, I kinda liked the idea of Saizo and Kagero being amicable exes, Subaki was cool as the first male pegasus rider.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I know y'all are taking the piss but I actually like it when characters are characters and have personalities and backgrounds and are connected to other people

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean I did start that post with "I know y'all are taking the piss" so I wasn't mad or anything

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I want an FE character that acts like a magical girl-wait poo poo that's just L'arachel.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What's the personal skills of the Solm crew?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Are there any mounted mages (discounting Ivy and Hortensia) in the class list, Mage Knight or Valkyrie or the like?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alright, cool. do Thieves get Assassin or Trickster or is Thief back to being a special class with a higher level cap or something

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
A friend says that Ian Sinclair and Cristina Vee are in the voice cast, who are they and are there any other big names I'd know of?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
scared of the day that voice actor AIs take over and they pop a little one in every game that can imitate the voice actor of a specific character, read your character name and make it sound natural in the same way that AI art is scary right now

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

ai art is scary in that it sucks rear end

no ai art is scary in that it puts creatives out of jobs

actually if it gets to that point they might as well just jump straight to "Well, we could hire Patrick Seitz for this character and have to deal with unions and fees... or we could just use PatrickSeitzAlike.exe and save money." which is even worse.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Tae posted:

The full cast is already listed somewhere, but if you don't know who cristina vee is, then you'd know literally no one from the dub

no I meant who do they voice.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
God, I hope so.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
"If you don't have voice acting, letting us rename is fine, but if you do have voice acting, have a canon name" seems like a pretty fine rule of thumb to me.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
so is Kagetsu actually from a deeprealm or just a foreign Japanese-y island

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Does it really count if they're technically monsters, though? I assumed some but not all of them were, given how they looked.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So does the game confirm if Clanne and Framme are Vander's adoptive kids or niece and nephew or what

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Lapis, if you don't wanna reclass her, really has to go Hero (axe variation) if you don't wanna double up on classes, huh? Cuz Goldmary already has Hero (lance variation) and Kagetsu has Swordmaster.

It's weird that they re-combined Myrmidon and Mercenary for this.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
As a person with a compulsive need to diversify my roster in terms of promotions/classes, the Framme/Jean/Pandreo situation is making me break out in hives.

Martial Monk can promote to Martial Master or High Priest. Framme and Jean are both Martial Monks, Pandreo is a prepromote High Priest. Either I'm going to need to second seal someone or there'll be Class Overlap.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...please tell me Fogado's English voice actor is actually black himself. Because if it's a white person saying all this in this way it would be really really weird, bordering on offensive

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

oh thank goodness.

I do like Fogado for the record, it's just the whole... the best way I can put it is "G-rated teenage Samuel L Jackson voice"... it threw me off a bit.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Does anyone else find Amber kind of annoying?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Panette and Pandreo's supports kinda blew me away with how sincere they were.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

why is seadall so low, he's a Dancer, dancers are always A-tier at minimum because action economy fuckery is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Engage got me like