Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Awesome Games Done Quick Online 2023 is over! A big thank you to all the organizers, runners, donators, and viewers who took part in raising 2.6 million dollars for the Prevent Cancer Foundation!

Yeah, we can get that over with right away: Even though SGDQ 2022 was a live marathon, AGDQ 2023 is back online because it was meant to be in Florida but then Florida decided to introduce policies preventing security measures for Covid-19 to be taken and passing the Don't Say Gay law, so GDQ came to the conclusion that they would not be able to provide an acceptably safe and welcoming event were they to host it in the state, and moving to another venue turned out to not be viable. More information about it can be found in this Twitter thread. Do not discuss Florida politics in this thread.

But anyway!

Starting today, Awesome Games Done Quick Online 2023 will run until the 15th of January. In this week, there will, indeed, be runs of the speedy variety.

====================

It all starts, as usual, with you reading the schedule to find the runs you want to watch. This will automatically adjust to your time zone.

Then you can watch on either the GDQ website or the GDQ Twitch page. As usual, the website is the recommended option if you're going to be watching through a browser.

But then you realize that no, I don't want to watch through a browser, I want to watch through my favourite media player. And I am here to tell you that you can very much do that, by using Streamlink and Streamlink Twitch GUI. They're not hard to set up, but make sure you're updated to the latest version of both. Twitch loves breaking them.

You fall into despair as you figure out there is no way you can catch all the runs you want to watch, but before everything goes dark, you learn that there is a cure for this, since all the runs will be uploaded to the GDQ Youtube channel. You can find the runs you're looking for even easier on the amazing website GDQ VODs which is run by none other than our fellow goon Steve Holt!.

"But wait," you say. "I don't want to watch alone!"

Fear not, young nerd, for there are channels in which you can discuss the whole event with other nerds. Don't bother with Twitch chat, and instead come to the GDQ chats:

GDQ IRC: #sdamarathon at irc.quakenet.org (not GDQ official anymore, has been taken over by myself and anton and is now the Speedrunning marathon channel on Quakenet.)
Direct link | Quakenet Webchat
GDQ Discord

====================

A short primer about Games Done Quick shall, as is tradition, follow here. May or may not be mostly copy-pasted from last year's GDQ threads.

Games Done Quick started in 2010 with the first marathon, Classic Games Done Quick, hosted from GDQ founder Mike Uyama's mother's basement. Since then, it has grown immensely and hosts not only two big Games Done Quick marathons annually, but also other shorter marathons like Frame Fatales, one-offs like a Corona Relief Done Quick back in April 2020, and lots of other speedrunning content happening every week on their Twitch channel.

The two main GDQ events are currently the largest global fundraising events for the charities they benefit. AGDQ 2014 was the first time any GDQ event broke one million dollars in donations for a single event, and SGDQ 2019 was the first to break three million. The current lifetime total of donations to GDQ events is a little over forty-one million dollars.

All of the money raised during Awesome Games Done Quick goes directly to the Prevent Cancer Foundation. No cut is taken by any of the staff or participants, all attendees pay for their own travel and living expenses. It is true that some organizers get paid for it, but not through any cut of the donations—the truth is simply that putting on GDQ is more of less a full-time job for many of the core staff, so some of them are employed by the charity to make sure the marathon can even happen.

The staff always tries their hardest to make sure that the quality of the stream is as good as it can be. Mistakes can always happen with all the tech involved, especially for an online marathon. Delays and unforeseen problem are not unlikely to occur. Please be patient when this happens, it's definitely even more frustrating for the runners and staff than it is for you as a viewer!

Now, as you may or may not have heard, this year does see the departure of one of the OGs, as this will be previously mentioned founder Mike Uyama's last event with the organization. You can read GDQ's full statement about his retirement from what he helped create here.

====================

Now that you've made it this far, you've got no choice, you have a swelling feeling inside you that tells you you just have to donate, but you don't know how. Well, after this paragraph, you will know! You click on this donation page link, where you can enter your donation, put in a comment, and see what that money can do outside of just helping preventing cancer.

The first of those things is that it can be put towards incentives, which affects the marathon directly! It's a bunch of different bids that have to do with various games, things like playing different game modes, extra challenge levels, naming characters, and making sure the bonus games get added to the schedule. You can find all the things you can pay for on the bid index, on the AGDQ 2023 tracker page.

There, you can also find a list of all the prizes you can win! For yes, you might go home with a prize from donating! If you donate at least a certain amount, you will be entered into a prize raffle. If you get really lucky, you'll win something! Most buy-ins are between $€ and $25, with a number of especially big ones at $50, and two grand prizes which are $200 cumulative donation, meaning that if you donate at least 200 US dollars in total during the event, you'll be entered into the drawing for them.

And the things you can win include...

neigh neigh

boom boom

bling bling

hiss hiss

x x

boo boo

k̸̤̓͌͝w̵̲̜̘͋̾e̸̱̥̦̒h̵̡̼̹͐ ̷̰͆͝ǩ̸̢̡͂͐w̴̻̿͐e̶̬͙͑̀̑h̴͈̍̓

zzz zzz

glug glug

pew pew

That last one being one of the two grand prizes.

If you don't want to chance it, and make sure you get some physical bang for your digital buck, then there's solutions for you too—get yourself some radical shirts and such from The Yetee, or some various thingamabobs from Fangamer. A portion of the sale for each item on both stores will go directly to the Prevent Cancer Foundation.

====================

Questions that aren't asked frequently because I already answered them here:

Q: What runs should I watch?
A: This question has no answer. Read the schedule. Find games that you're interested in, or that you think will be interesting. Thread should hopefully have some recommendations over the course of the marathon. Silly Games block is normally great though.

Q: Will ____ be featured?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. There's been some, let's say, controversial runners/commentators in the past—it's for the best if we don't bring that up.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because there's simply not enough room for it. GDQ has grown so much that it's not even remotely possible to let everyone who wants to attend have a game on the schedule anymore. There's going to be hundreds of people there, and while not all of them are runners, many games and people have had to be cut from the schedule to fit it into a weeklong marathon.

Q: What's this about GDQ banning fun?
A: Just a silly misconception. There's no fun police, and certainly no rules in place that state everything has to be super serious and clinical. A rule that is in place is that people on camera who aren't the runner shouldn't be taking focus or attention away from the run or the runner(s). When you're an event the size of GDQ, allowing people to do whatever they want on camera just isn't possible... not that that applies as much to the online marathons.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: It was supposed to take place in Florida, but as explained in the opening paragraph, now takes place on the amazing World Wide Web, a place you might have heard of.

====================

And that's all the information you need! Now just remember why we're all here. We want to watch cool speedruns and talk about them, all for a good cause. So please, please, don't use this thread to bring up GDQ-related drama, be it about marathons in general or specific runners. Above everything, please be respectful towards everybody working hard to make this event happen in the first place. The organizers, the runners, the commentators, the announcers, even the watchers. We want to have a fun time.

Should you have any further questions about GDQ or speedrunning, just go ahead and ask. There's a number of goons involved with GDQ, and even more involved with speedrunning in general, so the knowledge is not far off. But if it's about non-marathon related matters, you might want to swing over and inquire in the main speedrunning thread, where we're always happy to help.

So let's enjoy another marathon together!

====================

Past marathon threads
AGDQ 2012 | AGDQ 2013 | SGDQ 2013 | AGDQ 2014 | SGDQ 2014 | ESA 2014 | AGDQ 2015 | ESA 2015 | SGDQ 2015 | AGDQ 2016 | SGDQ 2016 | ESA 2016 | AGDQ 2017 (Chat) | SGDQ 2017 (Chat) | ESA 2017 | HRDQ | AGDQ 2018 (Chat) | SGDQ 2018 (Chat) | ESA 2018 (Chat) | GDQx 2018 (Chat) | AGDQ 2019 (Chat) | ESAW 2019 | SGDQ 2019 | ESA 2019 | GDQx 2019 | AGDQ 2020 | ESAW 2020 & FF 2020 | CRDQ | SGDQ 2020 | AGDQ 2021 | SGDQ 2021 | AGDQ 2022 | SGDQ 2022

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Bunch of recommendations from the thread that may or may not be assembled into a better list later

Nemo2342 posted:

1) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - just a solid run all around, a pleasure to watch
2) Bomberman 64: the Second Attack - Uh oh, Bomberman has passed away
3) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - bad race, but an amazingly done run
4) Portal - Airboat
5) Blade II - fun run of a jank game, with a developer on the couch talking poo poo about the dev process
6) Goat Simulator - just real drat goofy with the host barely able to contain herself watching
7) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - a really good OoT run that doesn't feature ACE so you get to see more than just grinding against a corner
8) Awful Block (Pac Man 2 through Steven Seagal) - almost every game in this block is a solid recommendation, though I wouldn't blame you if you cut out early from Office Race or Steven Seagal. Bad Guys at School is the only one I'd pass on for not being that interesting. Definitely watch Salamander County Public Television though.
9) Star Wars Jedi Knight - a good run with plenty of explanations on how to do the tricks if that's your jam
10) BS Legend of Zelda - just a solid race between a couple of people having a good time
11) Worms Armageddon - surprisingly entertaining and thorough run of the Worms Challenge modes
12) Super Mario Land - another bad race that contains an amazingly done run
13) Super Mario All-Stars Shuffler - Skybliz and crew goof off and struggle to get through a series of Mario games. Be amazed that authorblues didn't have to sleep on the couch.
14) Mega Man 64 - the race part was scuffed as hell, but it was fun listening to everyone commiserate over all the stuff going wrong
15) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - the poor game suffers for our amusement
16) Super Mario Bros 3 - another solid run with good energy from couch and runner

TeaJay posted:

- Bomberman 64: great tech and commentary from a surprising source
- Blade II: another one with brilliant dev commentary, here you'll find out surprising things about making an early 2000's movie tie-in game
- Burnout Paradise: Yet another run with fun commentary
- Fashion police squad: it's fashion police
- FF7: Again a chill and comfy run, great for a slow rewatch
- Awful block: A lot of it was brilliant, Salamander county public television the best one there (GAMING ZONE)
- Star Wars: Jedi knight: star wars games are just broken
- Jackal: just some good energy co-opping

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Oh yeah also Fashion Police Squad, phenomenal game, danejerus is incredibly entertaining, but also it has a dev on the couch that has amusing reactions whenever their game is broken (and it is broken A LOT). Plus dancing and deadpan looks into camera.

xoFcitcrA posted:

Illbleed - strange game with excellent commentary
StepMania - Remember how inhuman NESCardinality's Dragon Warrior run was? Now do that with your feet
Metal Slug - (warning: not for everyone) runner with far, FAR too much energy crushes the game in a few minutes

oldskool posted:

most of what i'd recommend has already been recommended but i'll throw in some love for Cuphead being a 300% run with the runner being confident & comfortable enough to pun-riff with his couch throughout the entire run, PS5 Simulator for being just a fantastic :wtc: run, and ElecHead for being a really chill precision platformer.

also a shoutout to Yo! Noid 2: Game of a Year Edition for expanding awful block to include Kirby, as well as being a fantastic 1995 platformer in its own right...that unfortunately released in 2017.

Mierenneuker posted:

Hitman: Blood Money - I enjoy seeing the AI in Hitman games being completely broken apart. Why does the "Silent Assassin" approach involve leaving bombs at seemingly random locations? Why are NPCs so enthralled when Agent 47 holds up a coin? Is it a crime to get shot at? Find out! I also appreciate that the runner didn't restart a level that went bad in the second half, but instead kept the show going.

Blade II - Lovely out of bounds tricks and commentary by someone who worked on the game back in the day. Find out why it takes more shots to take out zombies in the OG Xbox version of the game! Spoiler: Sorry, you don't. Not even the programmer knows and he is just baffled.

Fashion Police Squad - I tend to keep a tab on retro/boomer shooters, but I clearly missed out on how fabulous this game really was.

Neon White - A game made for speedrunning that just goes so fast. A joy to watch.

Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures - I think this game has been at GDQ before (edit: it was, back in 2018), but if you haven't seen it yet... such an oddball game based on an existing IP.

Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Mysteries of the Sith - If you've seen Jedi Knight before you'll know ahead of time how fast this expansion pack run goes. No second person to do commentary, but the runner himself is not afraid to take the time to explain what is going on.

Super Mario Land race and Sonic Blast race - Two races featuring a handheld approach to a popular platformer. One suffered somewhat more in the transition, but both races are fun to watch with solid commentary (and these are both short runs!)

site posted:

Armored Core
CULTIC
Illbleed
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge co-op race
Fashion Police Squad
Mario Galaxy 2 race
RE7 End of Zoe - not amazing but as a big time re fan i think the gimmick is pretty funny
Ocarina of Time 3D - you know the territory if you've seen oot on gdq before but it was still a solid run
BS Legend of Zelda race
MGS3 European Extreme Race race
Metroid Prime 1 & 2 Multiworld Randomizer Co-op
Super Mario Land race - short but really good execution
StepMania
Super Mario All-Stars Shuffler
Metroid Dread All Bosses Glitchless Race
Zelda Lttp 100%
SMB3

DizzyBum posted:

Portal Airboat%
Illbleed (Punchy!!)
Fashion Police Squad
Final Fantasy VII (great longer run!)
Awful block (Pac-Man 2 through Steven Seagal)
The World Ends With You
BS Legend of Zelda
Powerwash Simulator
Metroid Prime 1 & 2 Co-op Randomizer
Stepmania
Super Mario All-Stars Shuffler
Freedom Planet 2 (UA!!!)
Pokemon Legends: Arceus (once again, Keizaron and the couch turns an otherwise run-of-the-mill Pokemon speedrun into a hilarious ride)
Super Mario Bros. 3

woke kaczynski posted:

Agreed with basically everything above, I'd add the Brave New World Mario romhack and the LOVE 3 race for tight platforming fun.

Ravus posted:

FF7: Great run, great commentary. These long RPGs are usually a highlight for me and this was no exception. The FF7 run is especially nice since it has so much tech.
Illbleed: Funny and good run with some interesting optimizations. The "event" at the start was really entertaining for me, being an arsehole, never seen Punchy so pink. Way to run it back dude.
Blade II: Game is janky and pretty fun, but the dev commentary was BLISTERING. Dude went from gamedev to architecture engineer and does not give a gently caress about laying the smack down on his old industry. A must watch.
Fashion Police Squad: Dude tried to be funny, and loving landed it. That's REALLY HARD. He got the moves, too. Game is also very entertaining.
Goat Simulator: It's Goat Simulator.
Resident Evil 7: Solid.
Mega Man 64: Not usually that down for races, but I loved this. It was more like two dudes broing out over a really bad version of the game they happened to both be playing. Wholesome times.
Terraria: I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HOW THIS GAME WORKS APPARENTLY. I have hundreds of hours played and he blew my mind over and over...
Worms: Armageddon: See above.

Kikas posted:

If you are to watch one of the two THPS runs, I recommend THPS 4 over HD. The former is just better. Although they're short enough you can squeeze both in. Plus THPS4 is followed up by the SSX run which also was a lot of fun to watch. Skate was also a good run, I really like how the game can be freeform routed due to the "yo just bust out a combo anywhere" mechanics, plus the runner and commentator provide enough context and entertainment to anyone who is and isn't familiar with the game. A very good time.

Did anyone recommend Symphony of the Night and Crash 3? Both are great in their own rights, show off some glitches while also playing through enough of the game to still be familiar with anyone who played them.

Portal Airboat%. Nuff said.

Purgatory Glory posted:

Freedom planet 2 had it all:
-run by a goon
-fast paced action on a game I'd never heard of.
- One of the commentators helped with game dev, I think he was a tester.
-another commentator was interrupting others so frequently it was comedic. To the point he was getting the others visibly annoyed.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 1, 2023

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Online is such a drag, why does Florida have to suck so much?! :eng99:

Sill hype for the show though.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

hell yeah

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
One of the best day 1 schedules I’ve seen. Also hype for neon white, armored core, boomerang x, Celeste customs, Metroid prime 1+2 rando, Metroid dread race… looks like a great week

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FF7 might be a popular game, still...

On a Wednesday afternoon (that's Central European Time) for me, oof! I sure hope you've got some recommendations for solid runs up until that point then.

Edit: Without paying any attention to who is running I probably really want to see Superliminal, Hitman: Blood Money, Illbleed, Transistor, Cryostasis, Steven Seagal Is: The Final Option (Prototype), Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Mysteries of the Sith and the Super Mario Land (Race).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 8, 2023

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ground floor! First time I've had the week off too :toot:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I do work every day of the coming week except Thursday, but they're all at least half-days.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gonna play so much steam deck while watching gdq

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i hear these games will be done quick

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I have the need.

The need for poo pooposting SPEED

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

On a Wednesday afternoon (that's Central European Time) for me, oof! I sure hope you've got some recommendations for solid runs up until that point then.

Edit: Without paying any attention to who is running I probably really want to see Superliminal, Hitman: Blood Money, Illbleed, Transistor, Cryostasis, Steven Seagal Is: The Final Option (Prototype), Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Mysteries of the Sith and the Super Mario Land (Race).

It is weird timing. Traditionally long RPGs have been run overnight, or as the last run, or at least split in two. Running a full one for seven hours in the middle of the day is a bit of an odd choice.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I believe scheduling for the online events is one part "they work in EST" and another part "When is the runner available"

The run starts at 6:30AM EST and I assume the runner is just best available at that time-slot

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i am ready for some speed gaming

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Excellent, should be lots of nice runs. Unfortunately, the one that seems most interesting to me (Worms Armageddon, a true classic which I've never watched a run of) is at a totally rear end time of 1:40 AM on a weekday. FF14 Palace of the Dead (many other acronyms) should be a really interesting watch.

I just hope they learned from SGDQ and set the Bonus Game thresholds at a bit more reasonable levels this time.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

The boy

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 8, 2023

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

Oh awesome, the FF7 run is when I'll be awake :sun:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

That's pretty standard, nowadays - for the last many years, they've stuffed the long JRPG runs into European prime time, because that means they can stack more of the interesting runs in Usania prime time.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The long RPG runs are often times very comfy though, I know a previous long rear end FF7 run was one of the best ones I've ever seen in these events, FF6 and 9 / CT are usually always good too.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Ahhh the count down is live.

TeaJay posted:

The long RPG runs are often times very comfy though, I know a previous long rear end FF7 run was one of the best ones I've ever seen in these events, FF6 and 9 / CT are usually always good too.

These are my fave runs of the event, we have this discussion every year lol. Big up RPGLB :P

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is there anyone whos there to demonstrate being insanely good at an arcade or rhythm game

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Feels Villeneuve posted:

is there anyone whos there to demonstrate being insanely good at an arcade or rhythm game

Friday Night Bonus game.

StepMania Technical Showcase

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cernunnos posted:

Friday Night Bonus game.

StepMania Technical Showcase

bad rear end

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I am actually off from work this week for once, so I am prepared to gently caress up my sleep schedule.

In fact I'm already on pace, as I haven't slept yet!

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
The countdown stream actually went live on time for once! :v:

Please be looking forward to my Freedom Planet 2 Speedcat Edition run Friday night/Saturday morning. Currently scheduled for just past midnight, but that will absolutely shift around over the course of the week.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Some runs I'm looking forward to are the Stardew Valley and the FFXIV runs just to see how they handle those. Also if I can stay up for a 2 AM run Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers because I played that game so much as a kid and it still kindles something in my heart.

Also probably the Super Mario Land one because just reading the title made the theme music start to play in my head.

I'm guessing the one listed as Brave New World is the romrack of FFVI? I actually played that one a bit before I died without having saved in a few hours and gave up, so definitely the classic SNES RPG experience there.

UraniumAnchor posted:

The countdown stream actually went live on time for once! :v:

Please be looking forward to my Freedom Planet 2 Speedcat Edition run Friday night/Saturday morning. Currently scheduled for just past midnight, but that will absolutely shift around over the course of the week.

This got mentioned a bit in the speedrunning thread and I'll probably check it out even though I've never played the game.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

Let's a go! I'm stuck indoors all week on account of rain so this is perfect timing.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm here to watch people go fast and yell about it

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

florida sucks poo poo gently caress 'em

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Hope y'all like the pre-show. We worked really hard on it.

Also, greetings from the on-site hotel! I'm stream tech once again and hosting for Fallout 3 Monday and Mega Man block Saturday morning.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Also, greetings from the on-site hotel! I'm stream tech once again and hosting for Fallout 3 Monday and Mega Man block Saturday morning.

MD is a champion. This show is silly and I dig it (and I would run this campaign)

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Musical_Daredevil posted:

It feels very authentic to my gaming sessions, only less swearing and dick jokes. 10/10 would back the kickstarter for the Amazon animated series.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The pre-show is also nerdy as hell which is kinda the point, I guess

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
~The prize wizard~

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

actually digging this wizard look for sent

rox
Sep 7, 2016

it was very silly and i enjoyed it

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Mike’s actually looking pretty trim, guess the stress is already off him!

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
this day one schedule is loving awesome hell yeah

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Gonna miss Mike :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019