Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Woow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
https://i.imgur.com/QkF4Vut.gifv

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ps5 simulator has some great comedy in it

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Freedom planet 2 had it all:
-run by a goon
-fast paced action on a game I'd never heard of.
- One of the commentators helped with game dev, I think he was a tester.
-another commentator was interrupting others so frequently it was comedic. To the point he was getting the others visibly annoyed.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Purgatory Glory posted:

-run by a goon
-fast paced action on a game I'd never heard of.
-another commentator was interrupting others so frequently it was comedic. To the point he was getting the others visibly annoyed.

The runner and game dev commentator are also SA posters ITT

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i just finished fp2 myself and yeah that was a really fun run. ua and the couch were great. definitely worth a watch

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Shoutout to BigChungusFan69 sending a friend request to the Worms Armageddon speedrunner during the run

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Purgatory Glory posted:

that was me and yes, was on the core testing staff for about 3 years of development.

also for people recommending the Illbleed run that I did, thank you very much! still don't really know if my dreamcast is gonna make it lol, I did a bunch of fairly basic maintenance after the show, blew dust out of basically any part I could've, reseated all cables, checked the laser etc, seeeems ok now but I live in fear

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

also for people recommending the Illbleed run that I did, thank you very much! still don't really know if my dreamcast is gonna make it lol, I did a bunch of fairly basic maintenance after the show, blew dust out of basically any part I could've, reseated all cables, checked the laser etc, seeeems ok now but I live in fear

best of luck, it was a good rear end run and if that's the last one the poor thing managed then it's a good one to go out on

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
fwiw japanese dreamcasts are like sixty bucks I'm not exactly much in the hole if I end up needing to replace the whole unit

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

that was me and yes, was on the core testing staff for about 3 years of development.

I salute your patience! Great job on that run. I'll have to check out the illbleed run

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
Most impressive techniques in a run: Terraria
Most out-of-this-world experience: Pac Man 2

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I still think they should've raided MidnightSumo

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
I'm glad people enjoyed the Freedom Planet 2 run so much, it's been a long time since I put that much effort in such a short time for a GDQ run and despite some mistakes and general trolling by the game (looking at you, Milla) I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I got the tricks I was nervous about, for the most part.

Two weeks ago that Ancestral Forge time would have been a PB.

And, of course, thanks to Punchy for agreeing to do commentary for it! It's a shame that there was so much crosstalk, but I didn't think enough about how much everybody would have to say. Maybe if we'd rehearsed once or twice but I didn't really have time to organize that with everything else that was going on.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

UraniumAnchor posted:

I'm glad people enjoyed the Freedom Planet 2 run so much, it's been a long time since I put that much effort in such a short time for a GDQ run and despite some mistakes and general trolling by the game (looking at you, Milla) I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I got the tricks I was nervous about, for the most part.

And, of course, thanks to Punchy for agreeing to do commentary for it! It's a shame that there was so much crosstalk, but I didn't think enough about how much everybody would have to say. Maybe if we'd rehearsed once or twice but I didn't really have time to organize that with everything else that was going on.

I watched it and it didn't feel like there was more interrupting thatn usual when you have this many people at once. It's just that there weren't many 3+ couches this GDQ so by contrast it feels busy. And once you compare it to things like Dark Souls 2, where there was no couch and a lot more silence, yeah of course it feels like Freedom Planet 2 was a lot of things at once.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Kikas posted:

I watched it and it didn't feel like there was more interrupting thatn usual when you have this many people at once. It's just that there weren't many 3+ couches this GDQ so by contrast it feels busy. And once you compare it to things like Dark Souls 2, where there was no couch and a lot more silence, yeah of course it feels like Freedom Planet 2 was a lot of things at once.

haha oh you're being too polite. One of the commentators was rude as hell (though not on purpose, he seemed to just be REALLY excited about the run) and UA and Punchy aren't mentioning it. Don't forget that UA actually had to tell him to shut up just to get the start timer going.
You don't have to be nice all the time.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I didn’t see the entire run but I had no problem with the FP2 comms. Could tell the one person was less practiced with ‘main stage commentary’ and was just going totally off the cuff with their speed runner brain commentary. From the sections I watched the couch was normal and pleasant. Good (and fast) run

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Solarin posted:

I didn’t see the entire run but I had no problem with the FP2 comms. Could tell the one person was less practiced with ‘main stage commentary’ and was just going totally off the cuff with their speed runner brain commentary. From the sections I watched the couch was normal and pleasant. Good (and fast) run

Agreed. He seemed like he was mentally prepared to be the runner and have no couch.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

it's kinda true in the sense that I don't really like having three people on couch for anything myself, at least in the online format. highly recommend a maximum of two, even three good commentators are likely to stumble over each other a bit at that point unless they have explicitly practiced their rotation beforehand

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

UraniumAnchor posted:

Hey. You done good, bud.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

xoFcitcrA posted:

haha oh you're being too polite. One of the commentators was rude as hell (though not on purpose, he seemed to just be REALLY excited about the run) and UA and Punchy aren't mentioning it. Don't forget that UA actually had to tell him to shut up just to get the start timer going.
You don't have to be nice all the time.

And then had to tell him to shut up again later on so he could focus on a tricky section of the game.

It's a shame, because I enjoyed the run at first, but I ended up feeling exhausted by the end because Revolucion would not stop chattering and people struggled to get a word in edgewise.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
My experience in commentary has been that putting three people in the booth leads to chaos and people either fighting to talk over people or not getting a word in at all because they didn't, so that tracks

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
While 3 people may cause chaos, Revolucion cutting in on every person on every thing said was off the charts. I wouldn't expect anybody part of that run to acknowledge it here at all.

Punchy: during testing we didn't...

Revolucion: YA! I finished this part in under 2 minutes.

The chat was literally chanting"YAYAYA"

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
If I could only recommend two runs to watch they would be:

1. Portal - Airboat%
2. Salamander County Public Television

Caveat: I enjoy really goofy games. SCPT almost sparked a new gdq meme (that's beans), and the Portal run exceeded expectations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There was a run some years back, in person, where one guy on the couch (1 runner, 2 couch) could not let anyone else finish a point before steamrolling over them to explain it himself. It got to the point that by the end the runner was laughing every time it happened and chat was losing their poo poo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh besides the one part where ua had to repeatedly tell the one person to shut up for the tricky part i really liked the full improv couch. it kept things moving and lively and just felt like everyone was having a good time

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
One run I'd want to add to recs is Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy.

The pitch is similar to Blade II if you liked that run: extremely janky early 2000s game, there's a fun dev on commentary, and lots of bizarre facts like abusing mouse DPI switches and telekinesis to push the player character through doors and walls.

Also saw a few people with kind words about my Armored Core run, thank you!!! The games list came out before AC6 was announced, so it was a fun coincidence to have AC in a GDQ for the first time when a new game gets teased.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
:aaaaa: you're a goon?

I really enjoyed your commentary on this AGDQ and past speedruns. I will actively watch runs I know nothing about just from your inclusion in the commentary or as a runner.

Doing excellent work

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

pmcTRILOGY posted:

The pitch is similar to Blade II if you liked that run: extremely janky early 2000s game, there's a fun dev on commentary, and lots of bizarre facts like abusing mouse DPI switches and telekinesis to push the player character through doors and walls.

Also saw a few people with kind words about my Armored Core run, thank you!!! The games list came out before AC6 was announced, so it was a fun coincidence to have AC in a GDQ for the first time when a new game gets teased.

Your Armored Core run made me play some Armored Core 3 again. Took me a bit to decide between 2 and 3, but I decided to go with 3 this time.

I'm a Nexus and onward hater.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's a lot more goons involved in speedrunning than people think.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!

ZeusCannon posted:

:aaaaa: you're a goon?

I really enjoyed your commentary on this AGDQ and past speedruns. I will actively watch runs I know nothing about just from your inclusion in the commentary or as a runner.

Doing excellent work

Thank you! Yeah, I should mention I also did comms for Gungrave and I'm going to die if I don't eat sushi, which also turned out real well. Great runners in Cosmic and Bullets.

Chainclaw posted:

Your Armored Core run made me play some Armored Core 3 again. Took me a bit to decide between 2 and 3, but I decided to go with 3 this time.

I'm a Nexus and onward hater.

Hell yeah. I've been dragging my feet on moving on to try and speedrun the PS2 games for a year or two now, so hoping to finally get to that this year. Besides AC4, I haven't played much of the series beyond AC3. I just have such a deep love of janky 3D PS1 games :negative:

Reading this AGDQ thread has been comfy! Good work, goons.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

UraniumAnchor posted:

I'm a little late (couldn't catch much of GDQ live) but that run was slick as hell!

My only complaint is that it was kind of frustrating seeing Ancestral Forge and Inversion Dynamo being played well. I had over 20 minutes on those levels!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

pmcTRILOGY posted:

AC is one of those series ive always meant to try because it sounds cool and looks dope, and somewhat makes me think of one of the best psx games ever, Omega Boost even though theyre completely different. which would be a good one to start with? I didnt watch your run, nor am i going to.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

pmcTRILOGY posted:

I just have such a deep love of janky 3D PS1 games :negative:

good

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's a lot more goons involved in speedrunning than people think.

To be honest I'd imagine most GDQ runners are at least lurkers. There's a lot of shared interest here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

To be honest I'd imagine most GDQ runners are at least lurkers. There's a lot of shared interest here.
Yeah, that absolutely tracks - but I was specifically talking about people who're actively involved in both speedrunning and SA in some fashion (though not all of them are involved with speedrunning on SA).