Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I played catalyst last year and while it had some really cool stuff it was underwhelming unfortunately. Not gonna watch this run either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

ArfJason posted:

I played catalyst last year and while it had some really cool stuff it was underwhelming unfortunately. Not gonna watch this run either.

cool, please keep us updated

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Arf you've been told to go donate now that Carty B is on.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

ArfJason posted:

If you're not gonna watch, you have to donate. That's the law.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Shimmy up an imaginary pole for 2 minutes straight to the ending. LOL

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Sent is entering his Santa Claus phase, I see - thematically appropriate for the bringer of prizes!

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Kestral posted:

Sent is entering his Santa Claus phase, I see - thematically appropriate for the bringer of prizes!

he looks like Santa Claus' youngest brother who got drafted into being his hype man

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Wonder if he's gonna show off the recently found Controller 2 debug button that removes the bridge in the underground section?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It has been a while since I've seen a SotN run and I have forgotten just what a broken game this is.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

This is my first time watching one of these, is this guy Dr4gonblitz known for being a legend in the field? Because he should be.

Not only does he know every trick in the book and the run is amazing, but his patter is fantastic - he explains every little trick in a way that most people can understand, and it's very rare to have both skill and patter imo

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
Agreed. This is a great run!

He did talk about the underground bridge dev cheat, but apparently it's not in the xbox 360 version, so didn't get to actually show it off.

Edit: That vertical climb was sick!

aeiou fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 8, 2023

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
yeah that SOTN run was phenomenal

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Wow, I'm not sure I've ever watched a SotN speedrun but that really was incredible to watch.

Autisanal Cheese posted:

This is my first time watching one of these, is this guy Dr4gonblitz known for being a legend in the field? Because he should be.

Not only does he know every trick in the book and the run is amazing, but his patter is fantastic - he explains every little trick in a way that most people can understand, and it's very rare to have both skill and patter imo

Something (watching) speedruns has taught me is that if a human being truly devotes themselves to something they can get really, mind blowingly good at it.

I suppose this is also true of the olympics but video games are much more relatable to my personal experience.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm glad the chat mods are using the shoutout feature for runners, these people deserve all the eyes on their channels

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also hope they do more mini speed run tech stuff through the rest of GDQ.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ArfJason posted:

It does ultimately fall flat sadly. Some of the last stage was cool

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Hell yeah, it’s that time again; one of the best weeks of the year.

Cheers, let’s watch some cool poo poo and donate some good money for charity. :cheers:

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

"Borderlands 1 is dark and gritty"
lol
lmao

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Why are we having flashing lights on the intro of bosses in BL1?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Kuros posted:

Why are we having flashing lights on the intro of bosses in BL1?

The game has a minor memory leak issue because all the cutscenes are always loaded and never un-load so they deleted them

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Genthil posted:

"Borderlands 1 is dark and gritty"
lol
lmao

It maybe tries to be a tad bit more serious than the other games where it just turned into slapstick comedy with guns, but yeah if you think it's dark you need to turn on your monitor

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
OK those perlers are a lot bigger than I was expecting. And drat if those aren't the smoothest melts.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Oh my god this Cuphead run is puntastic so far. But I like this guy's energy.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I am suffering psychic damage from these terrible jokes and puns, it is Too Much.

Edit: “in one ear and out the udder” oh my godddd

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Kestral posted:

I am suffering psychic damage from these terrible jokes and puns, it is Too Much.

Edit: “in one ear and out the udder” oh my godddd

I forgot how disturbing the cow fight was. She gets cooked into sausages and then tinned. Brutal.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

runner just mowing down cuphead bosses while also keeping up in a pun duel with the co-commentator, peak insanity

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is punning on a whole other level.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Cuphead is such a great game to watch being run because so much is happening on screen and the runner just makes it look effortless

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The puns rule

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

This run rules

e: "thicc with 7 Cs"

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 9, 2023

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

oldskool posted:

runner just mowing down cuphead bosses while also keeping up in a pun duel with the co-commentator, peak insanity
:emptyquote:

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

is someone running Desert Bus?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Wrex Ruckus posted:

It's not on the schedule. They did show a graphic of it though.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I wonder if it's possible to get arbitrary code execution in desert bus, that would make for an interesting TASblock

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
This mystery dungeon rando sounds like it's going to be a magnificent trainwreck, I'm extremely here for it.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..

Wrex Ruckus posted:

There are some animations that are rigged up to move when people donate. There's also an MGS3 one with Snake climbing The Ladder one rung everytime someone makes a donation. There's also Monkey Island, and Oregon Trail animations. I think they're cute!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

corgski posted:

I wonder if it's possible to get arbitrary code execution in desert bus, that would make for an interesting TASblock

Bring back Speedhack, or whatever that old exploit was that let you make game time move faster by constantly rewriting the BIOS clock.

Can you get to Las Vegas on a bus moving at 2,000 miles an hour? I'd watch it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Missed the first minute of this, who's this lone runner who managed to get their camera working? Gonna root for the one person who ensured their poo poo would work.

Edit: I've never been a fan of the DK series, but I have to admit, this SNES game looks better than a lot of early-gen PS1 titles somehow.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kestral posted:

Edit: I've never been a fan of the DK series, but I have to admit, this SNES game looks better than a lot of early-gen PS1 titles somehow.

Prerendered sprites are my least favorite style of video game graphics. They just look so muddy and indistinct to my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Kestral posted:

Missed the first minute of this, who's this lone runner who managed to get their camera working? Gonna root for the one person who ensured their poo poo would work.

DKC3 is a bit of the black sheep of the three on the SNES. I honestly think mostly for Kiddy Kong.