Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Former Human posted:

Now I want to play SMB3 with a Game Genie code to have hammer suit nonstop.

I did that as a kid, I also used the code for the frog suit and found out you can''t complete the game if you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sonel posted:

I also used the code for the frog suit and found out you can''t complete the game if you do that.

maybe you can't

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

maybe you can't

The frog suit can't duck, and the fortress Mitch just completed requires ducking to get to the boss. It was a very fun surprise for kid me.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
of course you can't duck when you're a frog, you're a frog not a duck

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

That's odd because frogs look like they're always ducking.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sonel posted:

The frog suit can't duck, and the fortress Mitch just completed requires ducking to get to the boss. It was a very fun surprise for kid me.

i am willing to bet there's a way to still make it to the boss through bugs

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

mario 3 is so fucken good

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I loving love any% smb3

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

that's right

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
So that's where Link learned it!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you Mike, sincerely

Also your fish shirt goes down in history

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmfao mike's mom rocks

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Mike's mom :3:

Thanks for everything Mike!!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Thanks Mike!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

you deserve all the best, mike

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

I like Mike!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i hope mike shows up some time in the future to run a horrible game for awful blick

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
bring sumi back to sing snake eater while were at it

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

speaking of, snake finally made it up the ladder lmao

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

bring sumi back to sing snake eater while were at it

Well you got half your wish.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Hahahah finally made it up that loving ladder

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Right then! Marathon is over, which means it's time for post-marathon catchup. For that we like having run recommendations! Haven't been able to follow along with the thread for various reasons, but I will in step one gather up every list of recommendations that get posted after this post and toss them into the second post of the thread, and then I hope to have the time to get around to step two where I organize it into a neater list.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

bomberman 64: the second attack

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Worms Armageddon

The tech and precision were high level and the commentary and explanation made it interesting even if you weren't acquainted with the game.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

KennyMan666 posted:

Right then! Marathon is over, which means it's time for post-marathon catchup. For that we like having run recommendations! Haven't been able to follow along with the thread for various reasons, but I will in step one gather up every list of recommendations that get posted after this post and toss them into the second post of the thread, and then I hope to have the time to get around to step two where I organize it into a neater list.

1) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - just a solid run all around, a pleasure to watch
2) Bomberman 64: the Second Attack - Uh oh, Bomberman has passed away
3) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - bad race, but an amazingly done run
4) Portal - Airboat
5) Blade II - fun run of a jank game, with a developer on the couch talking poo poo about the dev process
6) Goat Simulator - just real drat goofy with the host barely able to contain herself watching
7) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - a really good OoT run that doesn't feature ACE so you get to see more than just grinding against a corner
8) Awful Block (Pac Man 2 through Steven Seagal) - almost every game in this block is a solid recommendation, though I wouldn't blame you if you cut out early from Office Race or Steven Seagal. Bad Guys at School is the only one I'd pass on for not being that interesting. Definitely watch Salamander County Public Television though.
9) Star Wars Jedi Knight - a good run with plenty of explanations on how to do the tricks if that's your jam
10) BS Legend of Zelda - just a solid race between a couple of people having a good time
11) Worms Armageddon - surprisingly entertaining and thorough run of the Worms Challenge modes
12) Super Mario Land - another bad race that contains an amazingly done run
13) Super Mario All-Stars Shuffler - Skybliz and crew goof off and struggle to get through a series of Mario games. Be amazed that authorblues didn't have to sleep on the couch.
14) Mega Man 64 - the race part was scuffed as hell, but it was fun listening to everyone commiserate over all the stuff going wrong
15) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - the poor game suffers for our amusement
16) Super Mario Bros 3 - another solid run with good energy from couch and runner

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have quite a few runs I've still yet to VOD, but from what I saw:

- Bomberman 64: great tech and commentary from a surprising source
- Blade II: another one with brilliant dev commentary, here you'll find out surprising things about making an early 2000's movie tie-in game
- Burnout Paradise: Yet another run with fun commentary
- Fashion police squad: it's fashion police
- FF7: Again a chill and comfy run, great for a slow rewatch
- Awful block: A lot of it was brilliant, Salamander county public television the best one there (GAMING ZONE)
- Star Wars: Jedi knight: star wars games are just broken
- Jackal: just some good energy co-opping

A lot of people have recommended Dark Souls 2 and Mario shuffler, haven't seen those yet. I saw DS2 ran at ESA (the same category) so I know a bit what to expect.

Metroid Dread was also a fun race, two people just commenting and cheering each other on, I think the commentators explained the tricks quite well too.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Sonel posted:

I did that as a kid, I also used the code for the frog suit and found out you can''t complete the game if you do that.

So there is a category for Frog% Mario 3 but it ends where you can progress no further.

However, the Super Mario Bros 3 Randomizer has a setting for making levels "Frog Friendly," which renders the game completable entirely with the frog suit. I've streamed SMB3 Randos where I'm forced into the frog suit and have one-hit kills on. It's tough, but fun.

Also, man, wild that there's another GDQ in the book. This was a really fun one to mostly watch and I still have tons of VODs I need to go back and look at. Thank y'all for donating!

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

1) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - just a solid run all around, a pleasure to watch
2) Bomberman 64: the Second Attack - Uh oh, Bomberman has passed away
3) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - bad race, but an amazingly done run
4) Portal - Airboat
5) Blade II - fun run of a jank game, with a developer on the couch talking poo poo about the dev process
6) Goat Simulator - just real drat goofy with the host barely able to contain herself watching
7) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - a really good OoT run that doesn't feature ACE so you get to see more than just grinding against a corner
8) Awful Block (Pac Man 2 through Steven Seagal) - almost every game in this block is a solid recommendation, though I wouldn't blame you if you cut out early from Office Race or Steven Seagal. Bad Guys at School is the only one I'd pass on for not being that interesting. Definitely watch Salamander County Public Television though.
9) Star Wars Jedi Knight - a good run with plenty of explanations on how to do the tricks if that's your jam
10) BS Legend of Zelda - just a solid race between a couple of people having a good time
11) Worms Armageddon - surprisingly entertaining and thorough run of the Worms Challenge modes
12) Super Mario Land - another bad race that contains an amazingly done run
13) Super Mario All-Stars Shuffler - Skybliz and crew goof off and struggle to get through a series of Mario games. Be amazed that authorblues didn't have to sleep on the couch.
14) Mega Man 64 - the race part was scuffed as hell, but it was fun listening to everyone commiserate over all the stuff going wrong
15) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - the poor game suffers for our amusement
16) Super Mario Bros 3 - another solid run with good energy from couch and runner

Seconded all of this pretty much. Just stellar runs, all of them, and happy you mentioned Symphony of the Night because the runner managed to explain every trick very, very well and didn't have anyone on the couch helping him out.

Oh yeah also Fashion Police Squad, phenomenal game, danejerus is incredibly entertaining, but also it has a dev on the couch that has amusing reactions whenever their game is broken (and it is broken A LOT). Plus dancing and deadpan looks into camera.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy
Seconding everyone else plus:

Illbleed - strange game with excellent commentary
StepMania - Remember how inhuman NESCardinality's Dragon Warrior run was? Now do that with your feet
Metal Slug - (warning: not for everyone) runner with far, FAR too much energy crushes the game in a few minutes

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

xoFcitcrA posted:

Seconding everyone else plus:

Illbleed - strange game with excellent commentary
StepMania - Remember how inhuman NESCardinality's Dragon Warrior run was? Now do that with your feet
Metal Slug - (warning: not for everyone) runner with far, FAR too much energy crushes the game in a few minutes

Oh god I forgot about Illbleed, how could I. Just a phenomenal game and a phenomenal run, with a couple of hilarious surprises.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

TeaJay posted:

Second this. Nice and short too if you just need a quick hit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Oh god I forgot about Illbleed, how could I. Just a phenomenal game and a phenomenal run, with a couple of hilarious surprises.

illbleed's got a real "that's never happened before" moment

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

illbleed's got a real "that's never happened before" moment

haha "I DIDN'T PREPARE FOR ACTS OF GOD!"

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oh yeah I totally recommend Worms Armageddon for some actual real life Worms wizardry in action. Never play multiplayer against this guy

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

TeaJay posted:

This one has come good "goofing with your friends" energy, and it's short enough to not wear out its welcome.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

most of what i'd recommend has already been recommended but i'll throw in some love for Cuphead being a 300% run with the runner being confident & comfortable enough to pun-riff with his couch throughout the entire run, PS5 Simulator for being just a fantastic :wtc: run, and ElecHead for being a really chill precision platformer.

also a shoutout to Yo! Noid 2: Game of a Year Edition for expanding awful block to include Kirby, as well as being a fantastic 1995 platformer in its own right...that unfortunately released in 2017.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
gdq

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

yeah

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

Nemo2342 posted:

Same with Metroid Dread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I liked these:

Hitman: Blood Money - I enjoy seeing the AI in Hitman games being completely broken apart. Why does the "Silent Assassin" approach involve leaving bombs at seemingly random locations? Why are NPCs so enthralled when Agent 47 holds up a coin? Is it a crime to get shot at? Find out! I also appreciate that the runner didn't restart a level that went bad in the second half, but instead kept the show going.

Blade II - Lovely out of bounds tricks and commentary by someone who worked on the game back in the day. Find out why it takes more shots to take out zombies in the OG Xbox version of the game! Spoiler: Sorry, you don't. Not even the programmer knows and he is just baffled.

Fashion Police Squad - I tend to keep a tab on retro/boomer shooters, but I clearly missed out on how fabulous this game really was.

Neon White - A game made for speedrunning that just goes so fast. A joy to watch.

Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures - I think this game has been at GDQ before (edit: it was, back in 2018), but if you haven't seen it yet... such an oddball game based on an existing IP.

Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Mysteries of the Sith - If you've seen Jedi Knight before you'll know ahead of time how fast this expansion pack run goes. No second person to do commentary, but the runner himself is not afraid to take the time to explain what is going on.

Super Mario Land race and Sonic Blast race - Two races featuring a handheld approach to a popular platformer. One suffered somewhat more in the transition, but both races are fun to watch with solid commentary (and these are both short runs!)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 15, 2023