Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

oldskool posted:

also a shoutout to Yo! Noid 2: Game of a Year Edition for expanding awful block to include Kirby, as well as being a fantastic 1995 platformer in its own right...that unfortunately released in 2017.

now I'll have to watch both those runs to make sense of that sentence!

did they announce any plans yet for the next AGDQ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Wrex Ruckus posted:

now I'll have to watch both those runs to make sense of that sentence!

did they announce any plans yet for the next AGDQ?
They announced the dates for next SGDQ are May 28th-June 4th but I don't know if they said anything about where AGDQ is moving next year.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

MagusofStars posted:

They announced the dates for next SGDQ are May 28th-June 4th but I don't know if they said anything about where AGDQ is moving next year.

thanks, and huh that's kinda early for SGDQ.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Did they announce anything about the next one being in person? I missed the finale and haven't seen anything on social media

Edit: lol didn't read two posts above oops

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Re-watching Fashion police squad and catching things I missed from the crazy live like the second boss being named XX_Uwu_Senpai_Swagman_XX and the comment from the runner "We call this the Reddit moderator boss" and the SHOTS FIRED reactions from the rest of the couch

Also they keep changing Danejerus' screen name, lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Great marathon im sure! I didnt watch a single second of it.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

ArfJason posted:

why are you here

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
going over the schedule i had to miss so much it this year :smith: but from what i did see what i liked was

Armored Core
CULTIC
Illbleed
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge co-op race
Fashion Police Squad
Mario Galaxy 2 race
RE7 End of Zoe - not amazing but as a big time re fan i think the gimmick is pretty funny
Ocarina of Time 3D - you know the territory if you've seen oot on gdq before but it was still a solid run
BS Legend of Zelda race
MGS3 European Extreme Race race
Metroid Prime 1 & 2 Multiworld Randomizer Co-op
Super Mario Land race - short but really good execution
StepMania
Super Mario All-Stars Shuffler
Metroid Dread All Bosses Glitchless Race
Zelda Lttp 100%
SMB3

now first thing i'm going back to is pmc's, punchy's, and ua's runs. did anyone else from the thread run this year that i forgot?

site fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 15, 2023

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

apostateCourier posted:

why are you here

Honestly at this point I would just block them, report them, and move on. The gimmick is extremely unfunny and sad. And avoid quoting their messages to stop the cancer from spreading.

A great GDQ as always, here's my standout recs from what I managed to watch live:

Portal Airboat%
Illbleed (Punchy!!)
Fashion Police Squad
Final Fantasy VII (great longer run!)
Awful block (Pac-Man 2 through Steven Seagal)
The World Ends With You
BS Legend of Zelda
Powerwash Simulator
Metroid Prime 1 & 2 Co-op Randomizer
Stepmania
Super Mario All-Stars Shuffler
Freedom Planet 2 (UA!!!)
Pokemon Legends: Arceus (once again, Keizaron and the couch turns an otherwise run-of-the-mill Pokemon speedrun into a hilarious ride)
Super Mario Bros. 3

I have to give an honorable mention to the Final Fantasy XIV Palace of the Dead run, which is technically impressive given the setup involved - the runner had *several* backup saves which is many many hours of work involved to get multiple characters that far into the dungeon. (Each character can have a max of 2 save files for that dungeon.) Solo PotD runs are also arguably some of the game's most difficult content. Sadly the runner started having framerate issues which forced them to pause the run a couple times and that affected the overall quality.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Agreed with basically everything above, I'd add the Brave New World Mario romhack and the LOVE 3 race for tight platforming fun.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

apostateCourier posted:

why are you here

It’s his hunting ground when he pokes his head up from FYAD, and because he’s a FYAD regular he’s untouchable. It’s really that simple.

Started in on the FF7 run, and both the runner and the commentators are pronouncing the boss Bottomswell as “Bottoms Well” without any idea of what they’re doing, and I’m being annihilated by it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
adding armored core, 10 minutes into illbleed and it looks like punchy might need to get his Dreamcast checked for hardware failure :ohdear:

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Only a couple missions in but blown away by that Worms Armageddon run.
So many hours spent as a kid trying to get through those and these speedrunners have just absolutely destroyed them, it's like a TAS almost.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ArfJason posted:

1.6@1600

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Heads up folks, the "SA" you see at the end of some runners usernames does NOT stand for Something Awful

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I missed the Terraria run. Hope it ends up as a vod because it sounds hilarious.

Fake edit: I never assume anything i see that isnt directly confirmed as connected to this dead gay forum is actually connected to the dead gay forum.

Uranium that was a really fun run (i had to watch the vod) thank you for your effort!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
There's a bunch of runs where I need to rewatch them because I had them on in the background while working donations and wasn't really paying attention to the run because of it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Thats neat, glad you finally have some time off to catch up or rewatch runs. I will also repeat not watching them.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
You can definitely feel the world economy grinding to a halt after the all time high at the start of 2022

(some of the old numbers may not be accurate)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

F.D. Signifier posted:

You can definitely feel the world economy grinding to a halt after the all time high at the start of 2022

(some of the old numbers may not be accurate)

To be fair, this event's total is missing ~400k from bits and subs and such.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Zurai posted:

To be fair, this event's total is missing ~400k from bits and subs and such.
$400,000 USD is a pretty hefty cancellation fee!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

F.D. Signifier posted:

$400,000 USD is a pretty hefty cancellation fee!
No idea myself, but the Internet tells me that a typical event cancellation fee three months out (Sept 2022 to January 2023) be as high as holy poo poo 67% of the projected revenue the hotel is missing out on. GDQ reserves a huge block of rooms plus the actual event spaces for an entire week so depending on what the cancellation fee includes, that could definitely add up.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Mierenneuker posted:

Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures - I think this game has been at GDQ before (edit: it was, back in 2018), but if you haven't seen it yet... such an oddball game based on an existing IP.

Technically that SGDQ 18 run was the Genesis version which is slightly different in ways only party man x would ever even notice :p

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

aside from having to eat a huge cancellation fee, i do imagine not being in person hurt numbers again - part of the reason 2022 was such a barn burner was because it was the first year back live, and that energy was a huge draw and a big motivational boost for donators

sadly something completely out of their control, and it big time sucks that they lost such a huge chunk of change and are gonna have to completely reconfigure everything to get out of florida, which can't be a trivial or cheap ordeal

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
People keep saying that, but the most profitable AGDQ ever was 2022, an online event

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Flesnolk posted:

People keep saying that, but the most profitable AGDQ ever was 2022, an online event

oh yeah i was melding it and SGDQ together in my head, you're correct

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
people make careers out of speculating on what numbers mean and how to interpret them to be more successful + we certainly don't have all the granularity to really decide what's best

my Outsider Take would be that the event was still very successful considering the hard decision to take subs and bits out of the equation and having to pivot to being online-only again, and obvious pain points like the slower incentives need to be rebalanced for future events

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
oh yeah 2.6 million is still incredible, there are segments of the internet that want to go "gdq bad" no matter what, often because of culture war issues but imo this agdq was undeniably successful even if it had rough points

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
What happened to the subs and bits?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

What happened to the subs and bits?

used to pay for the cancellation fee for the hotel they had booked in florida, since they had to vacate and switch to online after a bill was passed that would allow the state to fine events that required mandatory vaccination

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Not to mention Florida's extreme hostility to LGBTQ people, which flies in the face of everything for which GDQ as an organisation stands

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I was aware of the Florida circumstances. Thanks for the bits info.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that Bomberman run was fun. yunagi gave some good commentary

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I'm not sure I saw anyone recommend the Super Mario Galaxy 2 race, which ended in a WR.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

site posted:

that Bomberman run was fun. yunagi gave some good commentary

"Uh oh, Bomberman has passed away" will live rent free in my head forever.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Wow you guys weren't kidding about Worms: Armageddon, insane run.

I didn't get to watch much this week, mix of being busy and a lower level of interest for it being online-only. But from what I did catch:

FF7: Great run, great commentary. These long RPGs are usually a highlight for me and this was no exception. The FF7 run is especially nice since it has so much tech.
Illbleed: Funny and good run with some interesting optimizations. The "event" at the start was really entertaining for me, being an arsehole, never seen Punchy so pink. Way to run it back dude.
Blade II: Game is janky and pretty fun, but the dev commentary was BLISTERING. Dude went from gamedev to architecture engineer and does not give a gently caress about laying the smack down on his old industry. A must watch.
Fashion Police Squad: Dude tried to be funny, and loving landed it. That's REALLY HARD. He got the moves, too. Game is also very entertaining.
Goat Simulator: It's Goat Simulator.
Resident Evil 7: Solid.
Mega Man 64: Not usually that down for races, but I loved this. It was more like two dudes broing out over a really bad version of the game they happened to both be playing. Wholesome times.
Terraria: I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HOW THIS GAME WORKS APPARENTLY. I have hundreds of hours played and he blew my mind over and over...
Worms: Armageddon: See above.

Ravus fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 16, 2023

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
If you are to watch one of the two THPS runs, I recommend THPS 4 over HD. The former is just better. Although they're short enough you can squeeze both in. Plus THPS4 is followed up by the SSX run which also was a lot of fun to watch. Skate was also a good run, I really like how the game can be freeform routed due to the "yo just bust out a combo anywhere" mechanics, plus the runner and commentator provide enough context and entertainment to anyone who is and isn't familiar with the game. A very good time.

Did anyone recommend Symphony of the Night and Crash 3? Both are great in their own rights, show off some glitches while also playing through enough of the game to still be familiar with anyone who played them.

Portal Airboat%. Nuff said.

some of the less recommended ones from me

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Adding another vote for Worms Armageddon. Lots of sick shots and manipulations. I'm almost mad at how trivial the runner made those missions look.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
And don't sleep on the pre-show, this year's was pretty dang funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Oh gawd I was using the lovely search on the GDQ Youtube page and spied The Bonesaw run was from 2016. How time flies.