Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Relentlessboredomm posted:

cool now do all the other blatantly bullshit calls.

ya'll get way too focused on the last call in a game.

lol you were the one who was kept raving about how bullshit that last call was.

You're right that there were a lot of other shady call tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

do i need to post your dumb "Dear Ed Guns Hochuli" rant or do you want to continue to be a condescending dick about this?

maybe. ross picks the weirdest high horses sometimes, i can't discern the rhymes or reasons behind it

Yeah post the dumb letter from 15 years ago when I was in my early 20s. Totally the same as you melting down about a game that doesn't involve your team. This definitely proves your point.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

imagine cheering for your own division rival and going to bat for referees. smdh

something like 27-0 is hard to come back from, I'd probably want to watch the world burn too at that point

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009

i also thought it was the correct choice to stop the game after 4th down to give the chiefs a free redo on their 3rd down play and then bail them out with a flag when they didn't pick up the first on the redo

fundamentally correct refereeing there.
The re-do was a hilarious officiating gently caress-up, but there was a ref running onto the field and blowing the play dead at the start of the play. The hold after was a combo wrap with one arm and then tug the jersey after the WR got free. I think swallowing the whistle in that situation is probably the safest and most human thing to do, but I think the hold was the objectively “correct” call.

Either way, it had zero effect on the game, because the Chiefs ended up still punting with maybe 2 extra yards?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Probably better that the Chiefs won, Burrow would be killed by the Eagles behind that line and the game would be awful.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ya IMO the only way its ok to root for the Chiefs as a Chargers fan is to decide that this was the straw that broke the camel's back as a Chargers fan and to latch onto a new franchise. I could understand that because Spanos has been producing an extremely hard franchise to be loyal to for a while now. At least Phil Rivers and Herbie are both eminently likeable

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There were some lovely calls but that last flag for hitting Mahomes was not among them. This isn't a hard concept.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

The337th posted:

something like 27-0 is hard to come back from, I'd probably want to watch the world burn too at that point

lol fair

Ornery and Hornery posted:

lol you were the one who was kept raving about how bullshit that last call was.

You're right that there were a lot of other shady call tho.

ehh i was irritated in the moment but i largely agree that's not the thing that made the overall reffing bad.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Please go to bed. This is embarrassing.

bro it's 8:30 and its SA, everything here is embarrassing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

was it egregious?

what about the missed block in the back on the final punt return or the bullshit grounding call on the bengals final drive?

lotta posters itt with strong feelings on when its acceptable to complain about bad reffing

I just think it's okay to say you were rooting for the Bengals and you're disappointed that they lost without having to make everybody except the Bengals in this situation loathsome villains.

It's also not necessary to lash out at other posters over it and apparently repeatedly bring up a thread from over a decade ago?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Ya IMO the only way its ok to root for the Chiefs as a Chargers fan is to decide that this was the straw that broke the camel's back as a Chargers fan and to latch onto a new franchise. I could understand that because Spanos has been producing an extremely hard franchise to be loyal to for a while now. At least Phil Rivers and Herbie are both eminently likeable

Everyone has the one team in their division that they hate considerably less than the other two. It's easily KC for me. I hated them a lot more with Alex Smith. Also Tyreek Hill.

Mahomes just too likeable.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah and I'm not sure why the intentional grounding call was controversial?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fsif posted:

It wasn't the call on Burrow (it was totally grounding) so much as Mahomes threw a bunch of very similar dirtballs that weren't penalized.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

fsif posted:

It wasn't and they converted anyway lol.

Just like the extra down was stupid but amounted to nothing because KC still punted

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
If I was the 49ers, next year I'd aim for having a QB with functional arms for the whole season.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MJeff posted:

It's also not necessary to lash out at other posters over it and apparently repeatedly bring up a thread from over a decade ago?

You would say that after what happened in the 2012 Week 13 1PM GDT, wouldn't you?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

MJeff posted:

I just think it's okay to say you were rooting for the Bengals and you're disappointed that they lost without having to make everybody except the Bengals in this situation loathsome villains.

who am i making out to be villains besides the refs? i don't have much of a bone to pick with the chiefs, i don't care for how they won this game but in general they're fine and i like andy reid/mahomes.

sorry if you're gonna go to bat for referees of all things and be a dick about it, after infamously melting down about refs im gonna point out the hypocrisy.

this is fairly easy guys. the reffing was bad, i think it was egregious. you're not convincing me otherwise.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

It wasn't the call on Burrow (it was totally grounding) so much as Mahomes threw a bunch of very similar dirtballs that weren't penalized.

Its this lol. The chiefs got way too many friendly calls and prolly deserved the win anyways both can be true but the way the game unfolded was pretty dumb

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

You would say that after what happened in the 2012 Week 13 1PM GDT, wouldn't you?

The Lions lost to the Colts on a 4th and goal scramble by Luck for a TD as time expired! :shepicide:

who am i making out to be villains besides the refs? i don't have much of a bone to pick with the chiefs, i don't care for how they won this game but in general they're fine and i like andy reid/mahomes.

sorry if you're gonna go to bat for referees of all things and be a dick about it, after infamously melting down about refs im gonna point out the hypocrisy.

this is fairly easy guys. the reffing was bad, i think it was egregious. you're not convincing me otherwise.

The only thing that seemed goofy to me was the do-over 3rd down, which I didn't fully understand cause I was out of the room for most of it but seemed like it had something to do with making sure the clock was right, which was an issue multiple times last weekend, and it wound up not mattering. Sorry.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Master Stur posted:

Its this lol. The chiefs got way too many friendly calls and prolly deserved the win anyways both can be true but the way the game unfolded was pretty dumb

correct.

i think the chiefs probably would've won the game without all the extra calls but the whole point of the playoffs is I want to watch that happen. i want to actually see them pull it off without help. or fail. either would've been great entertainment

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

correct.

i think the chiefs probably would've won the game without all the extra calls but the whole point of the playoffs is I want to watch that happen. i want to actually see them pull it off without help. or fail. either would've been great entertainment

I think its as simple as call playoff rules or dont, the championship games on both sides were called by regular season rules for one team but playoff rules for another, its just inconsistent and dumb. Either way, the SB looks to be fun so GG im gonna enjoy it after being salty for a week

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Master Stur posted:

I think its as simple as call playoff rules or dont, the championship games on both sides were called by regular season rules for one team but playoff rules for another, its just inconsistent and dumb. Either way, the SB looks to be fun so GG im gonna enjoy it after being salty for a week

agreed on all counts

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I just hope the Eagles crush the goddamn Chiefs. gently caress being neutral lol.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Shindragon posted:

I just hope the Eagles crush the goddamn Chiefs. gently caress being neutral lol.

You know what, yeah, agreed

e: im a cincy transplant an hour from philly anyways lol

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Shindragon posted:

:yeah:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looked like some home cookin going on to me and i didn't give a poo poo who won. That extra 3rd down had me in disbelief.

Eagles gonna win the SB anyway so it's a moot point :v:

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world
The refs, thats who dey

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shindragon posted:

Eh, it’s obnoxious Philly fans/posters versus racist KC fans. Hard to pick a side. :laffo:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

but as i recall one "Dear Ed Guns Hochuli" thread

Man, that's a deep dive.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

a neat cape posted:

Everyone has the one team in their division that they hate considerably less than the other two. It's easily KC for me. I hated them a lot more with Alex Smith. Also Tyreek Hill.

Mahomes just too likeable.

:confused:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

probably some byu dickhead

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Darth Brooks posted:

Man, that's a deep dive.

It's a seminal work though. Were Open Letters/Aftermath threads even a thing before that rant?

e: The 2023 season is the 15 year anniversary.

Shrimpy fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 30, 2023

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Shrimpy posted:

It's a seminal work though. Were Open Letters/Aftermath threads even a thing before that rant?

e: The 2023 season is the 15 year anniversary.

It's been a long road
Getting from there to here

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

correct.

Pats fans grand standing about ref calls. lol and lmao

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

LiquidFriend posted:

Pats fans grand standing about ref calls. lol and lmao

If you’re calling me a pats fan I’m literally never going to forgive that egregious insult.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It didn’t seem to me at all like the refs were biased. Mahomes threw the ball in the dirt at eligible receiver’s feet while Burrow’s grounding was clearly grounding.

They didn’t swallow whistles for the chiefs. Seemed like a decently called game.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
The game was called fine. Relentless needed to go to bed

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

a neat cape posted:

Yeah post the dumb letter from 15 years ago when I was in my early 20s. Totally the same as you melting down about a game that doesn't involve your team. This definitely proves your point.

n-no

NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That can't be 15 years ago.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I wanna see the similar dirt balls Mahomes threw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Dexo posted:

That can't be 15 years ago.

The game that caused it was September 14th, 2008.