Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Not a lawyer but I don't see anyone going after two football conferences for doing realpolitik.

Wiltsghost posted:

Wasn't there something recently where the Big 10 said they didn't want to come across as bullies lol

**taps thread title**

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
... should there be a new N/V thread since it's technically week 0?

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Wiltsghost posted:

Wasn't there something recently where the Big 10 said they didn't want to come across as bullies lol

There was a reddit CFB link to an article about some Michigan regent harrumphing that Stanford and Cal not joining the big ten means it's actually all about business and not the academics.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
UGA RB Branson Robinson is out for the season. Non-contact ruptured Patella tendon :( I was hoping to see more of that guy this year

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Anytime I hear about a ruptured anything I gag a little, that’s awful.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Farking Bastage posted:

UGA RB Branson Robinson is out for the season. Non-contact ruptured Patella tendon :( I was hoping to see more of that guy this year

That's what happened to Terry Wilson 2nd game of the 2019 season. He came back in 2020 but was nowhere near the same player as 2018. He worked best as a true dual-threat qb but he either couldn't or wouldn't try to break a run post injury, which limited the entire offense.

Hopefully this guy is able to come back from it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Hernandez had a fight swept under the rug at one time. The pounceys had some run ins. Others had some drug stuff.

But like the Hernandez murder stuff was after UF. I think he was suspected in a possible attempted shooting either in Connecticut or in Gainesville but I don’t remember directly.

IIRC he had some scuffles in Gainesville but nothing that wild. The bad stuff was always when he went home during breaks and then post College when he was so close to home as a Pat.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Spacemonkey57 posted:

There was a reddit CFB link to an article about some Michigan regent harrumphing that Stanford and Cal not joining the big ten means it's actually all about business and not the academics.

Imagine being that naive.

Honestly, I think the Big Ten should scoop them up and possibly the entire remaining PAC because it does mean long-term cost savings by having the west coast athletes being able to play each other more often.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

they’re trying again

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1694435445877231775?s=46

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Literally free in the case of SMU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/robhowehn/status/1694446135673303177?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

woops

Could be worse, about half of the wrestling team also got big suspensions

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

UGA lost running back Branson Robinson, who was most likely our starter since Milton is out with a hammy, with a patella tendon tear. I hear that is a total career altering injury and he probably won’t be close to the same afterwards.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/robhowehn/status/1694446135673303177?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

woops

Is he caught up in the gambling thing

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is he caught up in the gambling thing

Yep, same with the wrestlers, I think they said at least three sports were caught up in that

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Brian missing the PPG target because the defense can’t get off the field in 2023 is going to be funny.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

woops

Maybe he should try graduating

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DC Murderverse posted:

woops

Sounds like Ferentz has lost control of his program, he should resign and let his kid replace him

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

He was bitching about how he felt his program was singled out and it is totally because of investigations due to an Iowa specific gambling law. The NCAA did t pick on Iowa specifically. The state of Iowa did and the NCAA went for low hanging publicly available fruit.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’m still waiting for the ISU punishments to come out, unless I missed it.

For the big 10/SEC stuff it does really feel like they’re on the verge of pulling out of the NCAA if they don’t get their way.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don’t really see the NCAA obstructing any of their goals at the moment.

If the top teams and NCAA ever come to a breaking point, it will probably be about the nuts and bolts of player compensation.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

Maybe he should try graduating

What the hell would you want to do something stupid like that for? Stay in college as long as you can afford to kids, work ain’t fun.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

As long as the NCAA is still getting basketball tournament money they won't give much of a poo poo about FBS football stuff, they know that's long and well out of their control.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Saucer Crab posted:

As long as the NCAA is still getting basketball tournament money they won't give much of a poo poo about FBS football stuff, they know that's long and well out of their control.

Yeah this is a thing to generally keep in mind once you realize it. Basketball makes the NCAA money, football makes (a lot more) money for universities and conferences.

So you can skip out if you want to, but you are losing whatever take you get from basketball out of the NCAA. And no one likes losing money, so it's going to be a business decision eventually if the NCAA gets a little too aggressive with their rules that everyone mostly ignores.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah this is a thing to generally keep in mind once you realize it. Basketball makes the NCAA money, football makes (a lot more) money for universities and conferences.

So you can skip out if you want to, but you are losing whatever take you get from basketball out of the NCAA. And no one likes losing money, so it's going to be a business decision eventually if the NCAA gets a little too aggressive with their rules that everyone mostly ignores.

This is the drum I’ve been beating for a while. I think the NCAA would watch the SEC and B10 take their football out of the NCAA altogether, and maybe even be a little relieved, as long as basketball stayed behind.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Komet posted:

Imagine being that naive.

Honestly, I think the Big Ten should scoop them up and possibly the entire remaining PAC because it does mean long-term cost savings by having the west coast athletes being able to play each other more often.

The Pac-8: A Wholly Owned Subsidiary of the Big Ten was a scenario I played through my brain when the USC/UCLA news had been announced. It…might make sense if they can make enough from having all those games.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

This is the drum I’ve been beating for a while. I think the NCAA would watch the SEC and B10 take their football out of the NCAA altogether, and maybe even be a little relieved, as long as basketball stayed behind.

The other conferences would make it all-or-nothing. Either everyone's got a say in the football playoff or the B1G and SEC are not part of the NCAA tournament. It would hurt a few schools enough that they'd be very against it, but doesn't hurt the tournament so much that it's an empty threat.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

kayakyakr posted:

The other conferences would make it all-or-nothing. Either everyone's got a say in the football playoff or the B1G and SEC are not part of the NCAA tournament. It would hurt a few schools enough that they'd be very against it, but doesn't hurt the tournament so much that it's an empty threat.

That sounds good, but that also sounds a lot like "The Alliance".

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Just a reminder that in FBS, the NCAA has no say in how the college football playoff works, who has access to the college football playoff, how many college football playoffs there are, etc.

The body that governs the CFP (and the BCS before that) is something completely separate from the NCAA.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://youtu.be/G3FYXW6YL6s?si=hRcBQ2Lkur5JDgV4

I don’t think I remember all of the Bush stuff and definitely had forgotten the bias against USC but man did the NCAA gently caress up repeatedly in the wake of all that. They should probsbly give Reggie his Heisman back

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

Just a reminder that in FBS, the NCAA has no say in how the college football playoff works, who has access to the college football playoff, how many college football playoffs there are, etc.

The body that governs the CFP (and the BCS before that) is something completely separate from the NCAA.

Right. But the scenario being kicked around is a threat by a B1G admin to withdraw from the body that runs the CFP, along with the SEC, if they don't get their way.

If I understand correctly, the voting structure of the CFP gives the autonomous 5 (4?) a vote per school while the G5 conferences get less. Something to the effect of half a vote per school? In the new alignment, an alliance between the ACC and the Big XVI is just 2 votes shy of that of the B1G/SEC. If the P4 are aligned, then the G5 has to go along with whatever they want. If the P4 conferences split, then the power lies with the G5 and presumably they would side with the other two.

So to make good on their threat, the B1G and SEC have to withdraw from the CFP and form their own thing, leaving the other conferences out completely. There isn't much the others can do about that. But the governing body of the NCAA is made up of the same schools that are in the CFP, only in the NCAA, all schools have equal vote. Any adverse action from the SEC/B1G against the CFP risks blowback within the NCAA.

In short, what I'm saying is that going scorched earth for football without first dismantling the ACC or bringing the ACC and Big XVI along runs the risk of follow-on consequences.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Right. But the scenario being kicked around is a threat by a B1G admin to withdraw from the body that runs the CFP, along with the SEC, if they don't get their way.

If I understand correctly, the voting structure of the CFP gives the autonomous 5 (4?) a vote per school while the G5 conferences get less. Something to the effect of half a vote per school? In the new alignment, an alliance between the ACC and the Big XVI is just 2 votes shy of that of the B1G/SEC. If the P4 are aligned, then the G5 has to go along with whatever they want. If the P4 conferences split, then the power lies with the G5 and presumably they would side with the other two.

So to make good on their threat, the B1G and SEC have to withdraw from the CFP and form their own thing, leaving the other conferences out completely. There isn't much the others can do about that. But the governing body of the NCAA is made up of the same schools that are in the CFP, only in the NCAA, all schools have equal vote. Any adverse action from the SEC/B1G against the CFP risks blowback within the NCAA.

In short, what I'm saying is that going scorched earth for football without first dismantling the ACC or bringing the ACC and Big XVI along runs the risk of follow-on consequences.

Again, I don't think the "SEC/Big Ten start their own playoff" scenario is at all likely, but just a few follow-up notes on this, though I genuinely don't have the answers to some of these:

-Can "you're being a bunch of assholes" be grounds for literal expulsion from the NCAA?
-Among affected schools in the ACC, Big 12, and G5, are they actually going to feel compelled to pull the trigger on such a move and further remove themselves from 30ish of the most recognizable and deep-pocketed brands in the country in all their other sports, and essentially end all non-conference play in football against them? That would especially be a blow to the G5 schools who are getting two or three big paychecks from these teams every year.
-If we're talking about every school in the NCAA having a vote, are we talking about the 133 teams in FBS or are we talking about all ~1100 schools?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

DC Murderverse posted:

https://youtu.be/G3FYXW6YL6s?si=hRcBQ2Lkur5JDgV4

I don’t think I remember all of the Bush stuff and definitely had forgotten the bias against USC but man did the NCAA gently caress up repeatedly in the wake of all that. They should probsbly give Reggie his Heisman back

yeah the people demanding Reggie Bush drop it are telling on themselves as cops something fierce

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The NCAA didn't take away his Heisman, the Heisman people did that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I feel like people really don't appreciate how powerless and irrelevant the NCAA really is here in 2023.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

General Dog posted:

The NCAA didn't take away his Heisman, the Heisman people did that.

Did the heisman committee invalidate all his records too

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
He’s specifically suing because someone at the NCAA said he did “pay to play”. Doesn’t really have anything to do with the heisman.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The Heisman people basically put it on the NCAA by saying “we’d love to give it back once the NCAA welcomes you back into the fold” because they’re spineless cowards who knew the NCAA wasn’t gonna ever do that because the second the NCAA admits they’ve been wrong about anything ever it opens up a whole new can of worms.

Personally I find it very important that Big Ten Legend Reggie Bush gets his trophy back because it really solidifies the Big Ten as the conference for Heisman winners

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He does deserve his place among other Big Ten legends such as Marcus Mariota, Eric Crouch, and OJ Simpson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

Personally I find it very important that Big Ten Legend Reggie Bush gets his trophy back because it really solidifies the Big Ten as the conference for Heisman winners

The Conference of Champions, some say

Just gonna decide this right now:
USC - Legends
UCLA - Leaders