Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
With Duggan graduating I'd accept someone putting TCU out of the top 5. It's supposed to be a poll about what happens next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I would no question believe that guy buried some revenuers on Rocky Top

Must have been cool to have him as a grandfather, sorry for your loss friend :(

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
How will the NCAA adapt to this new era of NIL and athlete's rights? If you guessed "it will strenuously try to make it so it doesn't have to" congratulations!

quote:

No one ever said it’d be easy to work with Congress. But it may be the only way forward, according to Baylor president Linda Livingstone, who chairs the NCAA Board of Governors, the organization’s highest governing body.

Livingstone repeatedly said that the NCAA needs Congress to protect the categorization of athletes so that they cannot be classified as employees.

“We feel like there’s a great sense of urgency,” Livingstone said. “It’s related in some ways to some of the potential state laws that are out there that the state legislators are looking at. It’s related to some things that could be coming out of some of the federal agencies. So, we absolutely believe that it’s urgent, it’s essential and it’s something that we really need to lean into and make progress on in this legislative session.”

She characterized the threat the NCAA is facing as “imminent.”

“Several states are right now considering legislation that would mandate a vastly changed relationship between school and its students,” Livingstone said. “Congress is really the only entity that can affirm student-athletes’ unique status. We have to ensure that Congress understands what’s at stake and motivate them to act. Second, we need a safe harbor for a certain degree of antitrust complaints. We’re not looking for nor do we actually need broad antitrust exemption; we do need the ability to make common-sense rules without limitless threats of litigation.”

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

It's the Big 10 y'all already know what he did you're just in denial

Ive never seen that referred to as "computer access violation" though so I'm hoping its some insanely funny hacking caper

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
ah. well thats disappointing

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

dirty shrimp money posted:

If Harbaugh repeats it enough the NCAA will just say "ok fine" and drop it

I like to always remind people of the time the NCAA had to let North Carolina off the hook because they insisted do-nothing, crap classes were available to everyone and not just athletes

if you're willing to take a hit to your reputation and stick with it the NCAA can't do poo poo

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

GD_American posted:

Honestly, I expected him to be far more of an rear end in a top hat about transfers and NIL, but his ability to adapt to the changing landscape of the game has overridden his old-rear end man grumpiness so far.

There's something admirable to me about his insane, ridiculous desire to win overcoming any theoretical resistance to things like that

Like he initially threw a fit over fast offenses when Manziel beat him but rather than die on that hill he hired Lane Kiffin to make him a fast-paced offense of his own. Not a lot of coaches would do that.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

LLCoolJD posted:

They've been waiting for BoB to go on down the road for a while now, he must be excited.

he likes to post on holler days

https://twitter.com/LargeElyphants/status/1609587562804383746

https://twitter.com/LargeElyphants/status/1595802346390437889

https://twitter.com/LargeElyphants/status/1538535458271121408

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Holly Anderson is a treasure

https://twitter.com/HollyAnderson/status/1618675902019428353

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The Big 12 essentially came into existence as a shelter for unwanted programs so the fact that it's continuing to be an island of misfit toys isn't that surprising

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bird in a Blender posted:

Did the SWC implode because teams decided to join the big 8/12, or was the conference already hosed up and the big 8 just picked up the pieces?

Combo of the latter and politics. Texas was pac-10 bound and A&M was going to the SEC (so the SWC was doomed either way) until they were essentially told "you will take Baylor and Tech with you or the legislature will no longer be approving any of your construction projects" which essentially forced the big 12 into being

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

dirty shrimp money posted:

Just pay for Oklahoma to move, good god.

I have a suspicion that this is more about what ESPN/FOX want if they let those 2 go early. They signed an extension last year that takes them through 2030-2031 but I'm guessing the networks only signed it with the idea that OU/Texas wouldn't leave early.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
everyone prepare your horns down gestures and related paraphernalia

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

D.N. Nation posted:

The gentleman in my pfp got flagged for it in the '12 Cocktail Party.

Anyhoo, who's everyone getting?

https://twitter.com/BudElliott3/status/1623893339190841345?s=20&t=TatPJeWSmadhgcNp4CXp8A

As an A&M fan I would be upset if Arkansas escaped the apparent curse they're under. Put them instead of Missouri and I'm perfectly happy with it

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I guess to play slight devil's advocate given what a hellhole of long hours and stress coaching is at any level but especially big time college or the NFL, you probably place a premium on a guy you can spend those hours with without wanting to strangle him. Plus the safety of taking a known quantity who was good once vs a total newcomer.

It's still dumb but it's understandable at a human level

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Leach stories

If people want I can post more for those without Athletic subs

quote:

Falk: We’re playing Oregon my senior year. We’re up by like 17. I’m checking runs and short, quick-game passes at the end, trying to run the clock out. We end up kicking a field goal with two minutes left to really seal the deal. I go to the sideline and he was so displeased with me that I wasn’t being aggressive and trying to score a touchdown. He was like: “What are you, just uh, uh, uh, a career bunter?”

quote:

James Whalen, Kentucky receiver: I made a mistake (in a game). He came up to me and was getting after me pretty good. I said something to the effect of, “Rome wasn’t built in a day.” He looked at me and his eyes got big and, boy, he got pissed. And he said: “If we were in Rome, I’d feed you to the f—— lions.”

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Leach stories, part 2

Steve Spurrier Jr posted:

When we were at Oklahoma, he had a plastic bag with two slices of bread in it. Every day, he brought two slices of bread. I watched him one day. He got a piece of bread and balled it up. One whole slice of bread and just balled it as tight as he could. I can’t quite figure out what he’s doing. Is he going fishing? He’s just sitting there for a couple minutes squeezing it. Then he took the ball and he put it in his mouth and swallowed it whole. So I asked him. He said: “Well, my wife said because I drink so much coffee and it’s not good for my stomach that I need to eat two slices of bread a day — and I hate bread. So I ball it up and swallow it up.”

Hal Mumme posted:

We make this big trip to Florida in 1991. On the way back, we’re driving along and I looked at him. “I think I might be able to get the job at The Citadel. How would you like that?” He looks at me and goes, “I don’t want to play soldier.” … He said, “If I was going to play something, I just want to play a pirate.” He goes into this long oration about how you could have a school where everybody dressed like pirates. You could have cannon practice and swing-your-sword practice.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I really would like to keep Arkansas going so my ideal list for A&M is Texas (non-negotiable in that I will simply quit watching CFB if they don't make this happen), Arky and I don't care

LSU would substitute for Arkansas fine I suppose

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I would have previously said there always had to be a pacific conference due to geography but welp USC and UCLA said gently caress that so yeah the Pac-12 could actually get destroyed this time

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

JohnCompany posted:

It's THE Generic Mediocre State U

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Why wouldn't you just call it white out. That's what it is. Just call it the thing it is.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I mean there are reasons as stated (you can find it just about anywhere) that the CW might be in some ways better than other non-major networks but I feel like the reputation hit would be a deathblow to the Pac 12

I assume this was thrown in there because it's too funny not to, not because discussion with them has reached some sort of serious level

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I think it's more "the Bears are very stupid" I don't think draft analysts (that aren't directly employed by the team) have ever actually convinced an NFL team to draft someone

But yes, Trubisky was not looked on kindly the moment he was drafted. Another great college player who we all knew would fail in the NFL was Manziel but he didn't get drafted til like 22 I think and it was the Browns so everyone's reaction was like "well yeah"

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Warbird posted:

https://twitter.com/itsbterrell/status/1646155417301417984

Oh boy I bet this will go over great with the locals.

Is it rude to hope our Notre Dame suffers the same fate as theirs

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The Soviets did this thing where you had a 5 day work week with one day of rest in it that was randomly assigned (with no regard to if your spouse or anyone else you cared about got the same day or not) and there were 5 holidays for everyone in the calendar; there were no common rest days other than the holidays. They later made it a 6 day work week with one common day of rest for all workers because, among other things, they never had a chance to do maintenance on machines in factories if they were in continuous use (which was the point of the original schedule)

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Grittybeard posted:

The best/funniest bitter Easter sermons are those where the preacher just talks about 'Easter people' to shame everyone who only shows up on that day. I attended more than one of these when I was forced to go as a child.

The people who did Christmas and Easter only were known as "Cheasters" in my church

because we were very clever you see

I actually do not at all regret going to church in my youth but my parents were always on top of finding a good one that had good youth programs so I got lucky

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Possibly the only thing I miss about having a house is being able to grill whenever I want, although my apartment has a couple communal grills so I guess I should get a giant steak some time this spring/summer and take advantage

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Deion only has to win two (2) games to be literally twice as good as the last year of the guy before him so he has that going for him

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah Josh Allen is gonna ruin so many NFL GMs trying to find the next one, it's hilarious (so long as it's not your GM)

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

There was an article on the Athletic recently about how recruits enter Texas as 5 stars but leave as 0 stars

Something is seriously rotten over there

Specifically of 17 5-star recruits in the period looked at, 4 (FOUR) got drafted

not "drafted in an early round"

drafted at all

It was the worst in the whole country. It is very hard to explain.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

There’s two explanations. First is that the star ranking is bullshit, which we already know. Kids will get stars boosted when they’re recruited by good or high profile teams, it’s mostly made up.

It's not total bullshit. 5 stars are massively more likely to make the NFL than anyone else and the NFL isn't drafting based on their stars from high school. Getting less than a quarter of your 5 stars drafted is bad.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Spacebump posted:

Aren't well ranked defensive players more likely to make it than offensive? I feel like I've read rankings miss on offensive players way more than defensive.

edit:
lol at people who think Colorado won't be a story all year.

I do not know although I would guess that QBs probably skew the offensive ratings down as it is notoriously hard for anyone at any level to properly predict QB performance. I would guess linesmen on both sides are easier to predict who will get drafted since they need physical attributes just to start with that are simply not teachable. Someone once said something to the effect of "there are only so many 6-6 300 pound people who can move in the world" so anyone that big has a shot unless they're just terrible

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
despite all the circus that would come with it and the fact that Jimbo might kill him, Bobby Petrino running an offense with Johnny Manziel would be fun

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

I'm starting to think I'm the outlier in this group because I got my degree in 4 years and immediately went to work using that degree. I kind of wish I took more time off after college, I did take about a month, but I wish I had waited like two, and taken a second trip someplace. I have some friends that did Peace Corps, and sometimes I think I should've done that, but I don't know if I could've handled all that. I was definitely anxious about waiting too long to start work after college, I always figured I needed to get to work right away, otherwise I might not have any opportunities if I took too much time off. Oh well, can't change it now.

I did this too but drank myself out of my industry and spent 7 years outside it either trying to break my addiction or trying to get back in (which I finally did in 2021) so take heart, just like you're never too old to go back to school, you're never too old to gently caress up either!

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Incoherence posted:

On the other hand: a lot of people I know went into computer science thinking "I don't have to write papers there" and now a nontrivial part of my job involves writing design documents that always end up in the 8-10 page range and that are, in essence, persuasive essays.

yeah if I were put in charge of a computer science department I would add a non-negotiable requirement for some sort of persuasive writing class to the degree plan

guess what you won't get to code your whole professional life unless you 1) literally invent something new 2) are a ground floor coder for something like google; otherwise you're moving up into management to some degree and you get to write more papers than lines of code

e: or you can do what I did: get to where you're almost management, get laid off, spend years outside the industry and have to come back in at ground floor coding, then you can code a lot but I don't recommend it

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Seaniqua posted:

congrats, posting bro

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I foresee this ending poorly

quote:

AMELIA ISLAND, Fla. -- Amid increasing uproar over the league's future, the ACC appears to be nearing a new agreement on revenue distribution that could offer some budget relief for top programs.

The league's athletic directors left a second day of occasionally contentious meetings feeling optimistic that schools would coalesce around a plan that would afford a larger share of postseason revenue -- including from a soon-to-expand College Football Playoff -- to the teams participating in those postseason games rather than dividing it equally among all members.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
if I had more money than I knew what to do with I'd probably get some stupid poo poo too good for Deion might as well enjoy it

As Grittybeard says, I assume the challenge of the grants is so that they'll know (by the time it matters) if they can get out of it or not, not necessarily because they want out of it now

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I'm not surprised there aren't gonna be a lot of holdouts. Anyone who could plausibly actually get more money from EA already has NIL money, and rando offensive lineman at <small school> is gonna be happy to be in the game and get 500 bucks on top of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Let's check in on Michgan Men (tm)

quote:

Three days after he was hired at Michigan, Glenn "Shemy" Schembechler, son of longtime Wolverines coach Bo Schembechler, resigned following social media activity that has "caused concern and pain," according to a statement from the school.

Schembechler had been a longtime NFL scout, most recently with the Las Vegas Raiders until February. He also scouted for Washington, Chicago and Kansas City. Schembechler spent more than a decade working for Washington's organization.

According to the Detroit News, Schembechler's Twitter timeline had a number of posts and "likes" of multiple offensive and insensitive posts, including several suggesting slavery and Jim Crow were a positive to strengthen Black individuals and families.

....I see

e:
yeah these are horrific I have questions for several NFL teams now
https://twitter.com/Sheehan_Sports/status/1659357098487029767

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 21, 2023