Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

virgil getting ted dibase banned from multiple cons for no showing because virigil lied and said he would be there so he could get a better spot at the con

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
finding out the one banner he had always said "ted dibiase & wrestling superstar virgil" and he's just tuck the dibaise name under the unsold 8x10s is funny.

this action figure is also real

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

lmao virgil stays winning even beyond the grave

leaving an unsigned 8x10 and $20 out for him like cookies for Santa

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

finding out the one banner he had always said "ted dibiase & wrestling superstar virgil" and he's just tuck the dibaise name under the unsold 8x10s is funny.

this action figure is also real

hahaha

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Rey Destroyer died after a sudden medical emergency during an indie show last week.

https://twitter.com/RobViper/status/1765173149224559098

https://twitter.com/laparktapia/status/1767610686358643173

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1767611964291789122

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
RIP AKEBONO TARO

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Only 54. I'd like one of the sumo posters to really do him justice, I know his MMA & kickboxing times were farcical but he did some good stuff in pro wrestling. Obviously he had some limitations just being a dude that big, but he had a fun match with Brock Lesnar in his brief New Japan run, & was a big name for All Japan in the time after the Wrestle-1 split. I checked on AJPW.tv & they don't have many of his matches up, there's actually Akebono & Toru Owashi vs Rikishi & Nobutaka Araya from '07. There's also a 2015 Champion Carnival match with Suwama, as well as Akebono & Mutoh against Team 3D.

There is this though, not on AJPW.tv: Akebono vs Kento Miyahara from June 2015 for the Triple Crown. This is from before Kento won the belt for the first time

Also this is a match that exist: Open The Triangle Gate Title Match
Akebono, Don Fujii & Masaaki Mochizuki (c) vs. Tokyo Gurentai (MAZADA & NOSAWA Rongai) & Abdullah The Butcher

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I never followed his wrestling career, but drat, one of the greatest rikishi for sure. Sumo gave him to puroresu to make up for Koji Kitao.

For those with no great interest in sumo, I feel like I should mention he was the first non-Japanese yokozuna.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

RIP. It's amazing how much he did in both sumo and wrestling and I'd love to hear more about his legacy from a knowledgeable sumo poster. Only 54...

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I liked his team with Hama, just two big boys doing big boy poo poo :rip:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I remember watching him in his Yokozuna days. Dude was like the final boss of 90s sumo. RIP Akebono, your bouts with Takanohana owned.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Akebono was probably the first sumo wrestler I knew and watched thanks to highlights from a Japanese news program on PBS (Today's Japan, I think it was called) in the 90s that was broadcast in English.

Sadly he'd been in bad shape for years but even then to pass away at only 54 is rough.

RIP to a trailblazer of the sport of Sumo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
On Akebono:

anakha posted:

Check out Akebono's footwork when he starts the match here. Starts far back because he doesn't want his opponent to have a chance to reach for his belt, but also steps forward with hand thrusts that start out with his arm not fully extended before making contact. The combination of both allows him to shove with a lot of force and send Takanohana stumbling back. He continues to plant his feet well with every step forward to generate max force. Note as well that he is able to do powerful thrusts with both hands so that he continues the pressure with every step forward.

anakha posted:

And you can see how elite his striking was against arguably the greatest Japanese yokozuna of the modern era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLFYuyJTxGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ipBrvlIR6c

tl;dr

Trying posted:

just two big boys doing big boy poo poo :rip:

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Pretty much my first exposure to sumo was him and Takanohana trading wins every other basho. RIP.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Akebono's sumo career is a great underdog story. Well, it's hard for a 6'8" 500+ pound goliath to be an underdog, but dude had the deck stacked against him. First the whole gaijin problem and all the pressure of being an outsider in a pretty closed and conservative environment, but from all accounts he handled them well and won many people over.

But he also had the deck stacked against him in ring. Just looking at the raw numbers, Takanohana won 22 championships and Akebono "only" 11 but Akebono had to earn those the hard way and the gap was a lot smaller (if there even was a gap) between the 2 rivals than it looks. Sumo has a rule where you can't fight relatives and dudes in your own stable for obvious match fixing reasons. Usually not a big problem as talent is pretty spread out, but Takanohana was essentially the top dog in the nWo vs. Akebono's Sting. His stable had his brother, who was like the #4 guy overall and around half of the top 10. So while Akebono had to run the gauntlet every tournament, Taka and friends got to skip each other and fight guys lower in the rankings that got subbed in giving them a much easier grind.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
RIP

Meltzer posted:

I was devastated to find out last night about the death of Tony Jones, a long-time independent wrestler in the Bay Area, who was also an avid reader and listener to our shows. On almost every show I went to in the Bay Area, he'd come up and we'd talk, usually right after the show or right before, as well as at times at MMA shows. I'll always remember how he kept such a brave face when his daughter, Selina, was battling cancer from a young age and passed away at the age of 14 in 2014. Wikipedia lists that he beat Stephen Neal (a Hodge trophy winner and considered the best wrestler in the world in 1999 regardless of weight), but he told me it was just that he once took down Neal in a practice match. He was in tournaments with Kurt Angle but they never wrestled each other.

Tony was nicknamed Shooter because he was a good college wrestler at San Francisco State University before pro wrestling. Tony died Thursday night of a heart attack while watching a movie. He was 53, having celebrated his birthday by watching day one of WrestleMania. He was a big MMA and pro wrestling fan. I didn't know of him having any health issues and he always kept in good shape. He was always very proud of his son, Tony Jr. He was probably best known for appearing in Beyond the Mat and having a tryout match in Sacramento in 1998 that Vince McMahon and Jim Ross commented on including Ross telling him he should try and add muscle to his chest and shoulders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

edogawa rando posted:

I remember watching him in his Yokozuna days. Dude was like the final boss of 90s sumo. RIP Akebono, your bouts with Takanohana owned.

Absolutely. It's hard to overstate how massive a presence he was in sumo, both for his skill and as a 6'8" guy fighting at ~500lbs.