Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That worked well! I only made it to the first mission in the game so this was mostly all new to me. Can’t wait for more!

My wife was pretty entertained too so hopefully it resonates with the general public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This episode covered about up to where I made it in the game before I put it down and never went back to it, maybe a litter further into where Episode 2's going to go, but yeah I rather enjoyed that. Agree with whoever said starting the show out with John Hanna was a treat.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm running into an issue where it's TOO much like the game, where the game is so cinematic that you don't really need to see it again. It's TOO 1-1 at this point, to where it's like an anime adaptation of a manga where they just recreate the same panels on screen exactly.

I don't think it's bad or anything, just that I dont have anything to anticipate or look forward to while watching this episode since its just a slightly different version of the exact same thing, basically. Just speaks to how cinematic the games are.

Darko fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 16, 2023

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm not familiar with Tess's actress, so when I thought her accent sounded a little weird during the scene with Robert, I looked her up, and sure enough, she's Australian (Anna Torv). I noticed that people's natural accents are harder to hide when they're shouting

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

nine-gear crow posted:

This episode covered about up to where I made it in the game before I put it down and never went back to it, maybe a litter further into where Episode 2's going to go, but yeah I rather enjoyed that. Agree with whoever said starting the show out with John Hanna was a treat.

https://twitter.com/lackingsaint/status/1614828903662485506?s=46&t=ds8v3L3mmzke-te4yjZWGw

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

404notfound posted:

I'm not familiar with Tess's actress, so when I thought her accent sounded a little weird during the scene with Robert, I looked her up, and sure enough, she's Australian (Anna Torv). I noticed that people's natural accents are harder to hide when they're shouting

The first time I saw Anna Torv in a TV show was Fringe. Coincidentally that is also set in Boston.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The zombie that chases Joel and Sarah through the diner owns. Just falling over constantly and crashing into everything. That’s dedication

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

As a poor who has never been able to afford a system capable of playing the last of us, I am grateful for this TV show! I heard the game is real good 🙂

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

The zombie that chases Joel and Sarah through the diner owns. Just falling over constantly and crashing into everything. That’s dedication
Yeah, I liked that. Fast enough to be a serious threat, but clumsily mindless and physics-prone to be escapable. A good, believable balance between Romero and 28 Days.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
They nailed it and I agree with all the praises of the show so far. That said it is different seeing an adaptation of a work you love that was already done in another cinematic format. With a book it is all in your mind and it always different than the adaptation. Here it was so one to one to the game that I could understand how someone who played the game feels like this is more a rewatch instead of something new. I know we have several differences and additions coming and I don’t count that as negative to the show. Honestly I enjoyed seeing the reactions from the non-gamers that watched it with me as much as I enjoyed the pilot.

I can’t wait until they show the part where they sneaked around in bushes for an hour trying not to start WW3 or when they just said gently caress it and went guns a blazing over and over in hopes of triggering a new save point.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 16, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Next week Joel sits still for 10 minutes trying to memorize the patrol patterns of zombies

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I can’t wait for the bit where Joel just lobs nail bombs over the cemetery wall because he already knows the spawn points for the infected and can just skip the combat all together.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really enjoyed that, absolutely loved that John Hannah prologue. Show is nailing the atmosphere from the game up to this point, though I was a little disappointed that what could have landed as a pretty powerful/impactful reveal - that Ellie is immune to the fungus - instead it just kind of got blurted out in panicked dialogue a minute before the ending. Also just to reiterate what was posted above about wishing they'd have the faith in the audience to not need a flashback to realize the parallels between the incident from near the start of the show with the one near the end.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Fairly disappointed in that given the rave reviews it's got. Like, it's fine, but that's it. The soldier-threatening-kid flashback was hokey as all gently caress, hated the Marvel-esque dialogue in the hallway where Ellie says "that quick?" and everything about the prologue just felt kind of hammy and reminiscent of the Walking Dead. Also - and maybe this is just because I'm also watching The English, which is beautifully shot - the Jason Bourne shakycam is irritating me. I dunno, the whole production just looks and feels kind of cheap, especially on an HBO budget.

A deeper whinge - one that I also had when I played the game - is that the worldbuilding of Police State Boston is just a copy paste of other police state fiction. It would be much more interesting to reveal that this city is actually a democracy, and they shoot and burn refugees on sight because most people voted for that - which, under the circumstances, they would. It's less interesting to have a vague notion of a military dictatorship and a revolutionary group running and gunning for nebulous ideas of Freedom (what do they think they can offer anyone that's really any better than the status quo?) and it's especially eye-rolling and fundamentally American to have that take place in (where else!) Boston.

Anyway I'll keep watching because that was the weakest part of the game and will hopefully be the weakest part of the show, moving on to the much more interesting and original concept that is the culmination of Joel's relationship with Ellie.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Actually, thinking more about Police State Boston: a reason I think it doesn't work is because in real life most police states exist to protect a mollycoddled elite, whereas in The Last of Us we never see anybody doing any better than the main characters. Everybody is safe but their lives are bleak and tightly controlled. Maybe that's just a hangover from the game, where you can't (or they chose not to) leave the perspective of the main character, but we never see any indication that the police state is unfairly hierarchical; any indication that it exists for any reason other than to protect the majority of citizens from the dangers of the extremely hosed-up world they are unfortunate enough to live in. They even clearly have amputee citizens being supported by the state!

Arguably this is not a storytelling fault, except that I think in both the game and the show we are primed to view the city (or ~!~Federal~!~) government as Fundamentally Evil, with no further examination required. Maybe the show will go in a different direction but I doubt it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The rave reviews are based on the entire season

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

The rave reviews are based on the entire season

Well, good

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Darko posted:

I'm running into an issue where it's TOO much like the game, where the game is so cinematic that you don't really need to see it again. It's TOO 1-1 at this point, to where it's like an anime adaptation of a manga where they just recreate the same panels on screen exactly.

I don't think it's bad or anything, just that I dont have anything to anticipate or look forward to while watching this episode since its just a slightly different version of the exact same thing, basically. Just speaks to how cinematic the games are.

I like it because I don't think we've ever seen a game get this kind of re-creation before. Thinking about the Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed movies and how they had some of the videogame stuff but they end up just kind of doing their own thing. I haven't seen the Uncharted movie but I'm going to assume that is the same level of those. Watching the last scene I was pretty wowed by how much it looked like what I remember from playing the game last in...2017?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

I like it because I don't think we've ever seen a game get this kind of re-creation before. Thinking about the Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed movies and how they had some of the videogame stuff but they end up just kind of doing their own thing. I haven't seen the Uncharted movie but I'm going to assume that is the same level of those. Watching the last scene I was pretty wowed by how much it looked like what I remember from playing the game last in...2017?

Uncharted is pretty far off too, and is supposed to basically be a prequel.

The closest game to movie/show adaptation before this is Phoenix Wright.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I have never played The Last of Us since I am not a fan of these on-rails RPGs, but I did have high hopes for the show, and the first episode was very good. HBO at 9PM on Sunday nights continues to deliver.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
episode was solid. dialogue was a little weirdly in the middle of tv- and game-like. i guess it's also hard to balance game references with an adaptation, but this is probably going to be the most jarring of the episodes

i hear really good things about the writing for the next episodes, so with the premise pilot out of the way, things should hopefully feel more tv-like in the upcoming episodes

i'm a little worried about the vfx on the show, but that's every tv show. they cheated with keeping most things out of focus in the pilot, but that's not going to work for all types of situations

i wish no one had told me that pascal slips in and out of his texas accent, because now i keep noticing it

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Bella ramsey is not a good enough actress for this role, she has like one default angry face. The actress playing the daughter was far superior in range and performance.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jerusalem posted:

I was a little disappointed that what could have landed as a pretty powerful/impactful reveal - that Ellie is immune to the fungus - instead it just kind of got blurted out in panicked dialogue a minute before the ending.
Did you miss the bit where she tested positive earlier on and then they kept her locked in a room for days to make sure she didn't develop symptoms? They even showed the chart of how long it should take.

freebooter posted:

Fairly disappointed in that given the rave reviews it's got. Like, it's fine, but that's it.
You can tell it's a video game adaptation, because the story is about enough to justify the gameplay but not actually good. The premise is extremely overplayed, the details of the setting are clearly designed around gameplay constraints, and the story is very thin.

Koirhor posted:

The actress playing the daughter was far superior in range and performance.
Sorry, kid, you're too good for this show; your character's dying in episode one.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 16, 2023

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Loved it. Captured the tone especially the intensity of the car scene just right and the overall acting has been really great.

Spacebump posted:

This is already the best live action video game adaptation.

Don't even know what a distant 2nd would be.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Darko posted:

this all may be, but to be fair, you're not the intended audience. hbo thought the game was cinematic and appealable enough to mass market to nongamers so long as they could strip the game elements out of it. so, that was all the showrunners had to do.

i have to think it's going to be pretty 1:1 given they thought the original product was strong enough. no need to change it up too much or create alternate plots, right? just take out the clumsy controller part of it and voila.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Confusedslight posted:

Loved it. Captured the tone especially the intensity of the car scene just right and the overall acting has been really great.

Mortal Kombat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You're not supposed to think the police state is pure evil, Joel and Tess are not good people.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Confusedslight posted:

Sonic the Hedgehog

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

I doubt there's enough material but it would be neat if each episode opened with John Hanna dispensing more fungus facts. It seems a waste to bring him on for that one scene.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I doubt there's enough material but it would be neat if each episode opened with John Hanna dispensing more fungus facts. It seems a waste to bring him on for that one scene.

Quintus Lentulus Batiatus himself explaining the wonders of brain-washing funguses was the absolute best way to start this :allears:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

Mortal Kombat.
Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter are all easily better than this show so far.

precision posted:

You're not supposed to think the police state is pure evil, Joel and Tess are not good people.
I don't know how you're reading it this way. It's very clear that Joel and Tess are antiheroes and the cops are the bad guys.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No it isn’t

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter are all easily better than this show so far.

If this is trolling it's rather low quality. If it's sincere... how do brush your teeth in the morning without trying to jam the toothbrush into your eyes and nose?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Personally, I liked Mortal Kombat, but I was less hot on Mortal Kombat

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

If this is trolling it's rather low quality. If it's sincere... how do brush your teeth in the morning without trying to jam the toothbrush into your eyes and nose?
This show so far is pretty uninteresting. Those movies were fun to watch. :shrug:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nu-MK movie was garbage - could have been good but it's a loving lazy movie.

Also ACAB.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

it makes sense to me? street fighter and mortal kombat are fighting games with ludicrous, fantastical, over-the-top characters with equally silly stories. the directors and writers of the movie adaptations realized how nuts they were and depicted that. they worked, and well. at least the originals.

the last of us is ultimately a game that tries to put a serious, human story in an impossible, zombie world. the show hasn't had enough time to try to make this work yet, so we haven't had time to judge its merits.

sf/mk strove and tlou strives for very different things. it's very easy to see how one works and the other hasn't had time to work yet.

there's enough in this first episode to continue watching, and for that alone, it's a success. add that to the fact there's near unanimous acclaim for the series in general, and this was plenty fine. but this episode, by itself, certainly wasn't super gripping or all that entertaining.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 16, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Once they moved to 2023 it felt like they were rushing through the plot to get them paired up and out of the quarantine zone by the end of the episode.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

smackfu posted:

Once they moved to 2023 it felt like they were rushing through the plot to get them paired up and out of the quarantine zone by the end of the episode.

I agree fwiw, the first half of the episode was definitely the stronger half (though I think Bella Ramsey's doing a great job, it's good that they got someone who can swear convincingly to play Ellie), but they didn't actually skip much here. I'd have preferred if Joel and Tess had killed Robert, at least. I think it's the right call to end the episode where they did, though. The first episode of a show has to do a lot and you want to at least have the characters meet and fit in the reveal about Ellie at the end of this one, even if it's been made pretty obvious by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Maybe some of us are giving the premise of TLOU a pass since we know where the story goes and by almost every review I have read the show deliveries on that. My other gage for this show quality wise is how my non-gamer friends and family reacted to the pilot and so far, everyone is hooked. Going by this the pilot did exactly what it was supposed to. Also, I am happy we are out of the Boston after one episode, so I am ok with them flying through that part. It is a very small part of the story, and they give you enough nuggets to go forward.

I hope that one guy in the 'What's Streaming?' thread that hates The Menu so much that has to respond to every post by acting like his opinion is objective truth instead of subjective doesn't hate TLOU. I will have to unfollow this thread.