Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought the girl who played Sarah looked vaguely familiar and that's because she is the daughter of Thandiwe Newton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Def agree that 90s Mortal Kombat is now the 2nd best live action video game adaptation. The new MK suffered way too much from having a main character nobody cared about and essentially being a movie made to set up a more interesting sequel.

I still can’t get over how well they translated the LoU intro into live action. Pumped for the rest of the series.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Seems.. inconsistent that they would have that flashback, but also trust you got the reveal WAY beforehand, during the talk between Ellie and the leader, the end is just confirmation.

I think what's going on, from the storytelling standpoint, is Joel has tried to push the past all out of his head, forget about it, etc. He's not nice to Ellie at all, he's ready to shoot her without hesitation. Then because of the situation, he's pulled back to the defining moment in his life, and that's why I think they chose the flashback then, as a turning point for where he was at after all that time. Rather than it being a hokey filmmaking choice. It wasn't for the mission or his lady - that he's shown to be extremely defensive of - that he acted like that, and I think it was probably the right decision to show it in the moment.

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 16, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

I have never played The Last of Us since I am not a fan of these on-rails RPGs, but I did have high hopes for the show, and the first episode was very good. HBO at 9PM on Sunday nights continues to deliver.

It's not a RPG. It's a action/horror/(mediocre)stealth game with a lot of cinematics sprinkled through. Basically a mix of RE4 and MGS.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Def agree that 90s Mortal Kombat is now the 2nd best live action video game adaptation. The new MK suffered way too much from having a main character nobody cared about and essentially being a movie made to set up a more interesting sequel.

I still can’t get over how well they translated the LoU intro into live action. Pumped for the rest of the series.

Sonic and Phoenix Wright are much better than Mortal Kombat, imo. This is the closest I've seen something come to a game though.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Tiggum posted:

You can tell it's a video game adaptation, because the story is about enough to justify the gameplay but not actually good. The premise is extremely overplayed, the details of the setting are clearly designed around gameplay constraints, and the story is very thin.

I dislike the beginning of the both the game and the series, but broadly speaking I disagree. The ending of the game goes down a road I've rarely seen post-apocalyptic fiction go down before, the only comparable work I can think of is John Christopher's novel The Death of Grass.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

there's enough in this first episode to continue watching, and for that alone, it's a success. add that to the fact there's near unanimous acclaim for the series in general, and this was plenty fine. but this episode, by itself, certainly wasn't super gripping or all that entertaining.

as a non-gamer with no familiarity with the plot, I came to this with an open mind expecting an HBO prestige version of the walking dead. overall i agree that this first ep was not really gripping and i found myself bored at the end.

that said the near universal acclaim does give me hope that it will pick up, and there was enough there for me to keep watching to next week.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sarah’s death got me choked up. Mission accomplished.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
First episode was pretty alright. First 30 minutes were best, then the pacing got mushy as they had to set the stage for the rest of the season.

What do folks think of the title intro/credits? To me, seems they played it way too safe. It's the bare minimum of what anyone expected and doesn't seem nearly as creative as what we've seen from other HBO shows.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tiggum posted:

I don't know how you're reading it this way. It's very clear that Joel and Tess are antiheroes and the cops are the bad guys.

How so? The cops are just doing their job in a very lovely situation

Like I know that we're all supposed to say ACAB and be smug about hating cops but come on.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
:smug: if I were a cop I would magically know who is and isn't a good person and I wouldn't hassle the good people :smug:

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I'm also curious what they used for euthanasia since they seem to be handling it as humanly as they can, but man that syringe was small and not a lot in it.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
As a non-gamer watcher I enjoyed it and thought it was solid for a pilot episode. It does the standard boilerplate zombie opening showing the moment of collapse but the show did it well enough. I liked scene of the catatonic grandma moving out of focus in the background, that was a good creepy moment that gives me hope the series will do more stuff like that. The episode wasn't amazing but it did everything a pilot should do by establishing the world, characters, and stakes and not being terrible. I thought the acting was good in the second half showing how everyone, both citizens and soldiers, is depressed and nihilistic; strongly adds to the the whole vibe of the show. I also liked the little world building details like Joel asking for the plastic bag back and the soldier mentioning a factory that only produces bullets and pills.

I'll be checking out the rest of the season.

ricketyvickyt
Sep 9, 2010

Justin Credible posted:

I'm also curious what they used for euthanasia since they seem to be handling it as humanly as they can, but man that syringe was small and not a lot in it.

You will find out eventually.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I love John Hannah. I hope he comes back as an immortal braniac fungus (pls don't tell me what is/isn't in the game).

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Everyone's talking about John Hannah, but I'm seeing no love for Big Head.

dumb guy from Silicon Valley

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
By Jupiter's Cock, John Hannah rules!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
:siren: worth adding that there's an official podcast that's pretty good so far

there are a million other tlou podcasts so make sure you add the one that started this year

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

The zombie that chases Joel and Sarah through the diner owns. Just falling over constantly and crashing into everything. That’s dedication

It's the zombie that failed every quick time event button prompt

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Koirhor posted:

Bella ramsey is not a good enough actress for this role, she has like one default angry face. The actress playing the daughter was far superior in range and performance.

Yeah, not super impressed by her so far. She just comes off as a petulant brat, and I'm not sure that's what you want out of Ellie. I mean, it definitely needs to be there in parts, but that role needs just as much vulnerability as it does snark if you want people to like her.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Paddyo posted:

Yeah, not super impressed by her so far. She just comes off as a petulant brat, and I'm not sure that's what you want out of Ellie. I mean, it definitely needs to be there in parts, but that role needs just as much vulnerability as it does snark if you want people to like her.

I agree I think Ellie is the weakest of the cast so far and the least that “fit” the character from the games but I’m willing to see more of her before making any definitive thoughts. Maybe she’ll grow on me. And also maybe they’re doing something different with the character for the show? Dunno but I’m taking a wait and see approach right now.

All the other main people were pretty spot on I thought and quite strong.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I think I saw Kaitlyn Dever from Booksmart coulda been Ellie. I think visually that would have been a good fit but I’ve never seen the Ellie we have in anything before so maybe she’ll knock it our.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I've only seen Bella in Game of Thrones and His Dark Materials. Keeping it in the HBO family. She was pretty good as a one-note child in GoT but kinda bad in her small HDM part, imo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tiggum posted:

Did you miss the bit where she tested positive earlier on and then they kept her locked in a room for days to make sure she didn't develop symptoms? They even showed the chart of how long it should take.

No I saw that, but they were making a point of never actually coming right out and saying anything, so I thought they were waiting for a big "moment" for it to be explicitly revealed, and then it just kind of... happened... and made all the dancing around actually just explicitly saying what was obvious feel like a weird choice.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

what song was playing at the end on the radio? I inferred from context that it’s from the decade that meant trouble but I didn’t know the actual song and I am certain this is something I should be embarrassed about

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Chemtrailologist posted:

Everyone's talking about John Hannah, but I'm seeing no love for Big Head.

dumb guy from Silicon Valley

This is Christopher Heyerdahl erasure, and I will not stand for it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

matureaudiencesonly posted:

what song was playing at the end on the radio? I inferred from context that it’s from the decade that meant trouble but I didn’t know the actual song and I am certain this is something I should be embarrassed about

It's Never Let Me Down Again by Depeche Mode

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

"Never Let Me Down Again" - Depeche Mode

Released in 1987

Dammit, that's what I get for not refreshing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

zelah posted:

I think I saw Kaitlyn Dever from Booksmart Justified coulda been Ellie. I think visually that would have been a good fit but I’ve never seen the Ellie we have in anything before so maybe she’ll knock it our.

Corrected that for you. ;). Man she was great on Justified

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

80s song meaning danger certainly changes the trailer use of Take on Me.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
It was incredibly OK. Very polished, well produced, looked great - and not super interesting. The only time I felt especially engaged was with the lead actress (which is good and bodes well). All and all, considering pilots are burdened with all sorts of external pressures and usually suck I'm happy to keep watching.

False fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 17, 2023

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

zelah posted:

I think I saw Kaitlyn Dever from Booksmart coulda been Ellie. I think visually that would have been a good fit but I’ve never seen the Ellie we have in anything before so maybe she’ll knock it our.

Kaitlyn Dever was my dream casting but Ramsey can swear well so I'm happy to roll with it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

freebooter posted:

I dislike the beginning of the both the game and the series, but broadly speaking I disagree. The ending of the game goes down a road I've rarely seen post-apocalyptic fiction go down before, the only comparable work I can think of is John Christopher's novel The Death of Grass.
I haven't played it. I'm talking specifically about episode one of the TV show.

precision posted:

How so? The cops are just doing their job in a very lovely situation
On the most basic level, they're an obstacle to the protagonists, whom we are supposed to sympathise with and want to succeed. Regardless of how they justify their actions, they will always be the bad guys as long as they oppose the good guys. But the show isn't quite that simplistic; it also took the time to show that the cops are brutal, uncompromising, corrupt, and oppressive. They're the bad guys.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The greatest Depeche Mode song of all time and one of the greatest songs of the 1980s, check them out!

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Tiggum posted:

Did you miss the bit where she tested positive earlier on and then they kept her locked in a room for days to make sure she didn't develop symptoms? They even showed the chart of how long it should take.

Not particularly important, but I’m fairly certain they don’t show Ellie testing positive until the end of the episode.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Caught this tonight. Like others have said, the first 30 minutes were great. The move to 2023 really put the brakes on the story. If I hadn’t heard so many rave reviews, I would’ve hesitated about continuing. I haven’t played or seen a minute of the game, so not sure where it’s going yet.

I’m curious if they get more into how this future world even operates. Like how do they still have gas? There’s also a lot more people living than I would’ve guessed based on how the beginning started.

I did hear how some of the shots are 1-1 with the game, and I knew immediately that the truck scene in the beginning must’ve been right out of the game. Still looked good though. Hopefully Ellie becomes a little less bratty as the show goes on because she was annoying in this episode.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

smug n stuff posted:

Not particularly important, but I’m fairly certain they don’t show Ellie testing positive until the end of the episode.

I think that poster is talking about the young boy who is shown right after the time jump and is definitely not Bella Ramsey. And who we later see getting thrown into the fire pit.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Anna Torv is great in everything so hopefully it’ll be a wash

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

wizardofloneliness posted:

I think that poster is talking about the young boy who is shown right after the time jump and is definitely not Bella Ramsey. And who we later see getting thrown into the fire pit.

I know there was a different kid they also tested, which is how they introduced the test in the first place. I thought they also tested Ellie, but I guess I must have just assumed that. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Tiggum posted:

t also took the time to show that the cops are brutal, uncompromising, corrupt, and oppressive. They're the bad guys.

What was the corrupt part outside of them making deals with/buying drugs from the protagonist?