Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If Ellie and Joel had necks as long as a giraffe's, they would never have been knocked out by the flashbangs or caught unawares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I'm actually curious -- for TV show watchers who haven't played or been spoiled on anything about season 2, where do they speculate the story goes next?

Considering how scarred/veiny the area around the bites on her arm look months later, I kinda hope it's a 28 Weeks Later thing where it turns out Ellie is immune but also a carrier. The only reason she doesn't know yet is because she killed David with a cleaver so he never turned after getting a bite on the hand.

Or maybe she's like a more localized carrier. Having a bunch of spores in her arm that are inactive doesnt mean they wouldnt just activate if they were removed and exposed to someone else

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm curious if someone cut into that scar tissue, would it be living cordyceps or just a bunch of dead fungus that her arm healed around?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chamale posted:

I'm curious if someone cut into that scar tissue, would it be living cordyceps or just a bunch of dead fungus that her arm healed around?

Presumably something like the latter, just dead undifferentiated tissue like benign tumors

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I'm actually curious -- for TV show watchers who haven't played or been spoiled on anything about season 2, where do they speculate the story goes next?

No idea. Unexpected at the end for Joel to die, not... anything even close to a massacre of the scientists and end to a hunt for the cure.

Logically, could it go any other way off the bat than to regroup with his brother? I then either he gets a radio distress call along the way or arrives to find his brother gone, and then sill begin brother quest part two

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i thought bella ramsey knocked it out of the park with her emoting in the final scene. i think the pacing of the season has been uneven, but no complaints about any of the acting or the character writing

Yeah it was insanely good. Even in the game the unspoken subtext of that final conversation was clear, but Bella Ramsey and Pedro Pascal conveyed it far better than the game did. Which isn't a knock on the game, no poo poo excellent real actors can emote better than 2011 era PS3 character models.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Speaking of emoting I had the thought it's quite a lucky coincidence that Ellie is likeable instead of a bratty young teen. Not saying Joel wouldn't become protective of her but cuteness probably greased the wheels a little bit.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
As a non spoiled person, I think season 2 is going to have our characters in Jackson for 2 episodes before things go wrong (walking dead style) and then they’ll move to new locations and meet new people who won’t be around for long each episode after that. Maybe they’ll mix things up and get a third person in the party. And of course a couple bottle episodes and or flashbacks. Then one of them will die.

E: and hopefully someone rides a giraffe (if the giraffe consents to it)

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

They've written themselves into a corner so that's pretty much guaranteed. Cold open on Joel and Ellie riding giraffes in improvised suits of motorcycle gear and duct tape, army of fungoids clicking behind them, looking down from the foothills into Jackson Hole.

Ellie turns to Joel, "Did you ever think we'd be..."

Joel : "...the Walking Dead? Yeah. HTFU kid, we've got work to do."
<credit sequence>

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Ellie: Tommy's gone for real this time. Jackson is gone, Tara got turned into a vampire.
Joel: *Looking into the distance crushed* I think we truly are the Lasterliest of Us

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

covidstomper58 posted:

Joel: *Looking into the distance crushed* I think we truly are the Lasterliest of Us

Joel *looking right into the camera* They're fuckin' with the wrong Last of Us

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

"It looks like it's gonna be the last of them vs. the last of us!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
But the last of us refused to change...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The last of us... the last of us never changes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh no! The last of us have started to move!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Captain Crunch Oops! All the Last of Us

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The series is going to end with a new race of immune mutants and Ellie says, “And to think… I was the first of us.”

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Maybe it'll turn into a Last Man style comedy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Last Man or Last Man on Earth?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Last Man Standing

Joel ends every episode with a rant about the dang Democrats and Ellie has no idea wtf he's talking about.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm the last of us now!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Now that the show is over, is it okay to talk about the first game in here? I've never played it before, but one of my favorite podcasters that covered the show is doing a full playthrough "episode by episode" on twitch and I'm watching along.

I assume the spoiler thread is for both games.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

fullroundaction posted:

Now that the show is over, is it okay to talk about the first game in here? I've never played it before, but one of my favorite podcasters that covered the show is doing a full playthrough "episode by episode" on twitch and I'm watching along.

I assume the spoiler thread is for both games.

yeah as long as it has nothing to do with the second game your fine. did not want people coming in spoiling events like Sam or how Tommy becomes a Wolverine due to radiation in season 2 and gets claws.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Neat. I started taking notes but I realized that I should probably wait until I've seen everything before posting them because the information may change / have more context. But here's at least something from the opening credits / newscast montage:

Will still spoiler tag in case people don't want game spoilers.

* Before the complete collapse of society, the WHO was working on vaccines and failed. (so yeah, TV Show Fireflies had no shot lol)

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 21, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

fullroundaction posted:

* Before the complete collapse of society, the WHO was working on vaccines and failed. (so yeah, TV Show Fireflies had no shot lol)
I know dick about the games, but The WHO almost certainly didn't have access to somebody who was immune, right?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

LividLiquid posted:

I know dick about the games, but The WHO almost certainly didn't have access to somebody who was immune, right?

Presumably not, but that's never been a requirement for any other vaccine ever made, I assume. I more just meant they have "all of the top minds in the world and every piece of cutting edge medical technology available" and not just "some guy".

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

fullroundaction posted:

Presumably not, but that's never been a requirement for any other vaccine ever made, I assume. I more just meant they have "all of the top minds in the world and every piece of cutting edge medical technology available" and not just "some guy".

(vaccine/cure stuff)
Isn't that specifically what an inoculation is? These days we do wacky poo poo in labs, but before we figured out how to do all that, I was under the impression that using material from sores from someone who had already gotten infected, survived, and become immune, was the fundamental tech used to make vaccines for smallpox.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
No.

“Using material from sores from someone who had already gotten infected” worked for Jenner because cowpox is a different species of virus and causes much milder disease in humans, but is closely enough related to give protection against smallpox.

Prior to Jenner (and far after in some corners of the world) there was a practice called variolation, which involved taking the scabs that fell off of smallpox patients, scabs that contained variola virus itself, and infecting someone else with them.

The key to variolation is the entry method of the virus into the body. Smallpox, when naturally acquired, enters via the lungs. This kills about two in five people.

Variolation introduced the virus to the body in another way, most commonly by cutting a flap of skin on the arm of the healthy person and inserting scab material under it, but sometimes by crushing the scab up and taking it up the nose or in food or drink. This can have a fatality rate as low as one in a hundred.

Either way, it didn’t really have anything to do with the person that the vaccinator or variolator got the material from recovering, except that smallpox scabs only dry and slough off as the patient recovers, and that’s a convenient place to material. Virus is virus, and it wouldn’t really matter if you got it from a full‐blow, ultimately fatal case, or from someone who had beat it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 21, 2023

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Platystemon posted:

No.

“Using material from sores from someone who had already gotten infected” worked for Jenner because cowpox is a different species of virus and causes much milder disease in humans, but is closely enough related to give protection against smallpox.

Prior to Jenner (and far after in some corners of the world) there was a practice called variolation, which involved taking the scabs that fell off of smallpox patients, scabs that contained variola virus itself, and infecting someone else with them.

The key to variolation is the entry method of the virus into the body. Smallpox, when naturally acquired, enters via the lungs. This kills about two in five people.

Variolation introduced the virus to the body in another way, most commonly by cutting a flap of skin on the arm of the healthy person and inserting scab material under it, but sometimes by crushing the scab up and taking it up the nose or in food or drink. This can have a fatality rate as low as one in a hundred.

In either way, it didn’t really have anything to do with the person that the vaccinator or variolator got the material from recovering, except that smallpox scabs only dry and slough off as the patient recovers. Virus is virus, and it wouldn’t really matter if you got it from a full‐blow, ultimately fatal case, or from someone who had beat it.

Variolation! That's the phrase I was looking for, thanks. I knew there was something where you got scratched or cut on the arm, couldn't think of it. Appreciate the info!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Another reason I'm never building a time machine. Try to go back in time to see some cool moment in history one moment, then before you know it you're in some dirty room with a "doctor" crumbling scabs into your nose

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I can build a time machine safely because I am already vaccinated against smallpox. :smug:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you think you have to get smallpox before some old times dude tries to sprinkle scabs in your nose, or throw weird leeches at you, or try to lance out your black bike, you gotta a lotta weird things comin'

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The last several posts had me thinking I was in the Achewood thread, so thanks for that.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Ellie is absolutely From Circumstances

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sockser posted:

The last several posts had me thinking I was in the Achewood thread, so thanks for that.

"That's right Ellie, I swear, everything I said was true."

"...Alright."

THE END! NO MORAL!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

fullroundaction posted:

It's a giant plot point that you can't make a vaccine for this fungal infection and also that's pretty much true in real life too. That's the entire conceit of the outbreak, and what makes it so scary. There was a whole show-opening segment where a leading scientist in the field tells them to start loving bombing, 'cause there ain't poo poo else you can do about fungus until this story's Bulshittium shows up to be the one and only source of a vaccine.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't think the scariness of the zombies is really important at all. It's kind of a funny trajectory, from zombies being just magic, to nebulous scientific experiments, to oh they can run now, to a virus, to a fungal infection. Prion zombies might be next. It makes sense, people have enough familiarity with basic modern science that a little effort in making the zombies somewhat fit within the understanding of the world for that audience.

You can't really build a scarier zombie and trying to would miss the point. Making zombies faster or smarter or have crazy powers can be fun but it's mostly pointless. An old fashioned magic slow zombie and the craziest mushroom monster still kill the characters at the same pace: when the plot needs them to.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

From another thread that went on a tangent about The Last of Us:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's always exactly one person who is immune to being funged in these movies. They're the token non fungable

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Makes sense, we did see that the fireflies lost all their apes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Can I play the second game having watched the TV show? From all the discussion in here it seems like it stayed pretty drat close to what was in the first game, but I dunno, would I be missing anything about the plot?