Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm running into an issue where it's TOO much like the game, where the game is so cinematic that you don't really need to see it again. It's TOO 1-1 at this point, to where it's like an anime adaptation of a manga where they just recreate the same panels on screen exactly.

I don't think it's bad or anything, just that I dont have anything to anticipate or look forward to while watching this episode since its just a slightly different version of the exact same thing, basically. Just speaks to how cinematic the games are.

Darko fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

I like it because I don't think we've ever seen a game get this kind of re-creation before. Thinking about the Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed movies and how they had some of the videogame stuff but they end up just kind of doing their own thing. I haven't seen the Uncharted movie but I'm going to assume that is the same level of those. Watching the last scene I was pretty wowed by how much it looked like what I remember from playing the game last in...2017?

Uncharted is pretty far off too, and is supposed to basically be a prequel.

The closest game to movie/show adaptation before this is Phoenix Wright.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

I have never played The Last of Us since I am not a fan of these on-rails RPGs, but I did have high hopes for the show, and the first episode was very good. HBO at 9PM on Sunday nights continues to deliver.

It's not a RPG. It's a action/horror/(mediocre)stealth game with a lot of cinematics sprinkled through. Basically a mix of RE4 and MGS.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Def agree that 90s Mortal Kombat is now the 2nd best live action video game adaptation. The new MK suffered way too much from having a main character nobody cared about and essentially being a movie made to set up a more interesting sequel.

I still can’t get over how well they translated the LoU intro into live action. Pumped for the rest of the series.

Sonic and Phoenix Wright are much better than Mortal Kombat, imo. This is the closest I've seen something come to a game though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Same here!

People who don't like it because it's too close to the video game and they are bored, should spend their time playing a new vidya!

Any game you haven't played that is super cinematic you can put YouTube on your TV or whatever and put {this game} (the movie) and see the entire plot while you're working or whatever without the gameplay. I do this while working for whatever game I started but got bored with to see if the plot itself is worthwhile when it's cinematic. If you can access this site, you can do that, as a tip.

Death Stranding (which is also being adapted) is kind of my main example as I got 25 percent through and realized balancing stuff while walking wasn't my jam.

Darko fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 17, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

On one hand, cordyceps surviving being cooked is ridiculous. But so is cordyceps being able to manipulate a central nervous system (it only works because of the unique way insect nervous systems work). And then there’s the fact that it somehow confers superhuman strength and echo location abilities over time…

Don’t fret too much about the hard science of it all.

None of this stuff needs to be spoiled (for people that are spoiling), it's speculation and not in the games, so everyone is speculating on the same level about the show's source.

The idea seems to be, given the opening, that melting icecaps released fungus that lived on an entirely different, older earth. These can survive a ton of heat, can infect humans, etc.

First episode shows everyone non-infected avoiding wheat based products by luck, and one that was infected specifically being fed a wheat based product by her husband (who wasn't infected, but attacked). In reports, they list outbreaks happening in a major wheat-producing country. The inference is pretty much there.

They'll probably never address it again, either - it's just enough that people paying attention can infer a source and so the show can move on.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah, the film / TV industry is somehow staying ahead of the generational nepotism curve of the rest of modern society. Pretty much any young actor is going to be the kid of some other actor. It really sucks.

There's other stuff going on there too, in that kids of actors have access to some of the top acting coaches of the planet and are trained to do so from a toddler, which gives them other huge privilege-based advantages on top of their connections from their parents.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

freebooter posted:

Reading zombie media growing up I always thought slow zombies would probably be pretty trivially easy to overcome, then it was playing the Last of Us that made me realise just how hard it would be shoot something in the head if it's moving even slowly (and that's before you even factor in tight urban spaces, the shock/horror factor, multiple zombies etc)

That's only because LoU infected don't take damage the way a human would. Even if you miss the head, limbs and stuff would often make them pretty useless if they can't walk properly or grab anyone. That's what a ton of zombie media ignores.

What made me realize that slow zombies would work is how people reacted to Covid and how dumb people would end up screwing everyone else over.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

freebooter posted:

Nah, Americans would react very differently to a pandemic that could be tackled with guns as opposed to one that could be tackled by severe restrictions on personal freedoms for the 12-18 months it took to develop and distribute vaccines. I reckon a lot of the CHUDs who refused to do so much as ever wear a mask would think a zombie outbreak is the best thing that ever happened and throw themselves into fighting it with gusto.

Depends on the race the zombie is.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

How would you know something is not related to the plot without seeing how the plot progresses? This is a really weird way to look at episode 3 of a TV series.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

Okay but the point of my post was to point out that some people have different tastes and preferences and opinions on what makes a good television episode, in direct reply to the post I originally quoted. You are allowed to have different opinions from me but stating your opinions as fact that invalidates other opinions like this is a bad look.

Nothing on this show has stated that living in fortified areas give you dangers from roaming mushrooms yet, and this is the first time we've seen raiders. And they look like relatively small groups, and that was years back, too.

Seems like you're kind of dragging in TWD setting expectations into this, but in present day, we've only really seen mushroom people underground and in and around messed up buildings and not just roaming. This episode could just be serving to help inform you of the situation they are in.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Morrow posted:

I feel like FEDRA's model gets a bad rap because we see Bill's libertarian paradise a day or so outside of Boston. My only real critique with the episode is it validates all of Bill's hard-core survivalist beliefs that everything would be great if the government left him alone. We get a sense things are bad, if Frank's party got decimated traveling from Baltimore to Boston, but we have yet to be shown anything that justifies FEDRA.

Larger cities will have more people coming in and will need more controls seems to be the shows issue. A few people can live fine together, but you need enforcement when it's thousands and any random person tries to wander in.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Just going by the show, it seems like there will be *some* raiders, because Joel warns against a flimsy fence not stopping raiders. However, most raiding groups will be small 5-10 groups wandering for supplies. As soon as they lose 1 or 2, they're effectively taken care of because they are exponentially decreased by that. No reason to keep pushing at that one spot.

Joel and Ellie are also shown walking around in the middle of fields, etc. with no worries. That means threats in open spaces are probably low. If people are living in cities in general, there isn't as much of a reason for a bunch of groups of raiders. You probably just get small groups of scavengers that sneak out of cities for the most part.

I don't think this show is going to just spawn bunches of enemies around the characters in situations like the games because a) it doesn't make sense, and b) the games do that to keep the player entertained. The Walking Dead as a show seemed to do that as well, but I'm pretty sure this show has much better writers that don't need to spawn magical zombies or groups of people around the characters to create stakes and drama.

Darko fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 31, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This is where people need to not tell people about the game. There is a lot of discernment that goes on here and game people need to stay in the spoiler thread when mentioning anything about character motivations because they may come up later to surprise people in flashbacks, etc.

I only "correct" things with "has this been clearly shown in the show?" If it hasn't, I don't comment. Show things may be shown out of order from game things. Be careful.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Chamale posted:

Are there any violent video games where the protagonist doesn't murder hundreds of disposable people by the end of the game? It almost seems like an oxymoron, but hypothetically you could make a game that has combat but only as a last resort.

I have never been alerted or killed a single person in any of my Metal Gear Solid saves. And there are 7 of them.

Part of my issue with Last of Us because they don't program the game that way, and in 1, for instance, you are forced to kill at least 14 people (and more in cutscenes) to finish either game. They literally force you in like 20 situations per game with no matter how you sneak around or whatever, you have to kill a bunch of people unless you glitch it because the game just makes your character do what you havent been.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

So we're those zombies that came out of the whole a different type than the regular ones we see in early episodes? Seems like their heads looked different, more mushroomy

Mix of clickers, runners and one bloater. It's all a gradual stage thing so they were made up to be in stages.

Darko fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 11, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean, I'm barely older than your son yet have babies of my own, and I also think The Wire is wildly overrated. It's not because my baby brain thinks it's too slow, it's just before my time. Mayor Littlefinger and his Amazing Accents is the main thing I remember.

It's literally explaining everything wrong with the US right now in a way that even the most right of right wing people would be forced to engage with if they watched it.

People downed Season 5, including myself and then the Trump media era happened, and, well. Nothing comes even close to comparing to it.

Edit: Twilight Zone is the only thing that comes close, and that got shaky, especially at the end.

Darko fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Khanstant posted:

A game needs new mechanics to keep the shooting interesting and tension up over the course of the game. The drama doesn't need the same ramping up, it can often be detrimental if the stakes are constantly mounting or escalating. Think they've shown a variety of different ways to fight for survival. Not sure what adding in another monster they have to shoot more harder, and that is hard to make any kind of emotional connection with. Most people don't have any strong feelings about parasitic fungus, hard to relate, but religious authorities hurting people is something everyone is impacted by and can relate to. They did more work than necessary to make his demise satisfying, not sure there's any amount of hats to put on a miniboss monster to make it anything more than a whatever monster.

I think one of the 28 Time Periods Later movies tried to do that with one of the zombies, it was some ody's dad though and they kept making it not die or do extraordinarily personal menacing things for a zombie so it was still more of a personal connection than just a tough boss zombie. It also didn't work well and was probably the goofiest thing in the franchise for me.

There's only 2; that was 28 Weeks later, and the goodies thing was the janitor becoming that infected person from kissing his obviously infected wife who was not guarded at all for some reason, and the nonsensical containment after.

The show is very much about Joel and Ellie, and anything that happens in a singular episode is meant strictly to inform the characters or their relationship. It's not going to be about the monsters or draw out the thing they run into that week for that reason.

I do think the eps can be a little longer to add a little more atmosphere and stuff, though.