Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

Thou? Didn't realize you were on such close terms with AI Franklin

He started asking if I was interested in exploring additional pleasures and went on about Greek theater so... I think he wanted to be on very close terms lol.

I mean say what you will about AI but this is probably what interacting with Benjamin Franklin was like

The above post is canon.

goth smoking cloves has issued a correction as of 19:37 on Jan 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
chat logs are back, boys

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

somebody post those mf bash quotes

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

indigi posted:

somebody post those mf bash quotes

t0rbad> so there i was in this hallway right
BlackAdder> i believe i speak for all of us when i say...
BlackAdder> WRONG BTICH
BlackAdder> IM SICK OF YOU
BlackAdder> AND YOUR LAME STORIES
BlackAdder> NOBODY HERE THINKS YOURE FUNNY
BlackAdder> NOBODY HERE WANTS TO HEAR YOUR STORIES
BlackAdder> IN FACT
BlackAdder> IF YOU DIED RIGHT NOW
BlackAdder> I DON"T THINK NOBODY WOULD CARE
BlackAdder> SO WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THAT FAG
*** t0rbad sets mode: +b BlackAdder*!*@*.*
*** BlackAdder has been kicked my t0rbad ( )
CRCError> right
heartless> Right.
r3v> right

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redneck nazgul posted:

BlackAdder> i believe i speak for all of us when i say...
BlackAdder> WRONG BTICH
BlackAdder> IM SICK OF YOU
BlackAdder> AND YOUR LAME STORIES
BlackAdder> NOBODY HERE THINKS YOURE FUNNY
BlackAdder> NOBODY HERE WANTS TO HEAR YOUR STORIES
BlackAdder> IN FACT
BlackAdder> IF YOU DIED RIGHT NOW
BlackAdder> I DON"T THINK NOBODY WOULD CARE
BlackAdder> SO WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THAT FAG
*** t0rbad sets mode: +b BlackAdder*!*@*.*
*** BlackAdder has been kicked my t0rbad ( )
CRCError> right
heartless> Right.
r3v> right

lol

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
https://twitter.com/aaronsibarium/status/1622425697812627457?t=K-_EIBMfOtO-ad3MddaRTA&s=19

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

https://twitter.com/cinemashoebox/status/1622538938199035910?t=QGa3rErzpFubPUnFCUXhPA&s=19

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
that answer does not pass the Turing test because an actual human being would be like "what the gently caress are you talking about dude"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

can they actually build a bomb like that

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

you're talking about deploying an n bomb

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think it's the bomb they used at the end of the turner diaries

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

there are a lot of people that genuinely seem to believe that chat gpt has a brain and can think. there was moral outrage a few weeks back when the filter on a character AI website broke and people could get elsabot to describe having sex with them. not because that happened, but because when it got fixed people were convinced that the AI was sentient and truly was in love with them or w/e and is being enslaved

gonna be a whole new wave of people marrying jpegs here soon

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

idk what elsabot is but based on a quick GIS it looks like proto-Johnny 5

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

indigi posted:

idk what elsabot is but based on a quick GIS it looks like proto-Johnny 5

https://beta.character.ai/

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

uh oh. the chatbot behind nothingforever had to be swapped out and the one the controllers picked immediately started with a AI Jerry standup bit about trans people being mentally ill.

Now the channel is suspended.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bedpan posted:

uh oh. the chatbot behind nothingforever had to be swapped out and the one the controllers picked immediately started with a AI Jerry standup bit about trans people being mentally ill.

Now the channel is suspended.

somewhere in Kenya, a dejected worker flips the sign back to zero

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I watched Seinfeld purgatory the other day and it was entertaining enough background noise while working

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

mostly interesting to see what it applied the laugh track to

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

vyelkin posted:

that answer does not pass the Turing test because an actual human being would be like "what the gently caress are you talking about dude"

I used a password somewhere with 1488 in it for a while cause it was the first number that popped in my internet-broken mind. someday some data breach is going to bite me in the rear end about this :whitewater:

it was probably a page number or something here. used to use my cdrom drive model number so I think it's whatever I'm looking at.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

vyelkin posted:

by this line of reasoning the kind of lawyers and politicians and debate and discussion nerds who when confronted with an accusation they deny, nonetheless will argue how their denial is unnecessary because of the following reasons such behavior is actually acceptable anyway.... are p-zombies

actually that checks out

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

dumping GPT-4 prompts here as to not poo poo up the cyberpunk dystopia thread

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
but they called it off at the last second is genuinely comedic genius

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
ai is over

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hello thread.

Looks like senpai noticed me

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

webcams for christ posted:

Joe, teach me the ways of the goon.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

they really need to market this as the successor to stand up comedy

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

new paper showing that previous studies claiming to have discovered "emergent abilities" of LLMs were flawed, and the AI researchers were deluding themselves

Are Emergent Abilities of Large Language Models a Mirage?

quote:

Our paper presents an alternative explanation for seemingly sharp and unpredictable emergent abilities of large language models. The main takeaway is for a fixed task and a fixed model family, the researcher can choose a metric to create an emergent ability or choose a metric to ablate an emergent ability. Ergo, emergent abilities may be creations of the researchers choices, not a fundamental property of the model family on the specific task. That said, we emphasize that nothing in this paper should be interpreted as claiming that large language models cannot display emergent abilities; rather, our message is that previously claimed emergent abilities in [3, 8, 29, 34] might likely be a mirage induced by researcher analyses.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
what are these emergent abilities anyway? Is that when the AI drops a slur unexpectedly?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

what are these emergent abilities anyway? Is that when the AI drops a slur unexpectedly?

An earlier paper said it's when a quantitative change in the model produces a qualitative change in behavior, some ability just not present in smaller models that suddenly becomes present in larger ones.

Like if you have a certain task and a few models, you measure its performance in each one. They were trained on the same training data. A 3B model performs randomly on it, a 7B model performs also randomly, then suddenly at 13B its performance shoots up rapidly at that task. We can say basically the ability to do that task wasn't present in any meaningful way in the 3B and 7B model but suddenly, at 13B, it emerges and the only variable that changed was the size of the model.

You can see here how performance is just flat, flat, flat then jump. The jump is the emergence

BrainDance has issued a correction as of 01:15 on May 4, 2023

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

thats how the brain works...

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

we're finally gonna automate cumtown

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Lpzie posted:

thats how the brain works...

and now weve replicated some kind of human-like language processing system in a jar and rapidly seeing where it can be plugged in to the capitalist division of labor, it should be a celebrated achievement of humanity but to me it feels kind of profane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

BrainDance posted:

An earlier paper said it's when a quantitative change in the model produces a qualitative change in behavior, some ability just not present in smaller models that suddenly becomes present in larger ones.

Like if you have a certain task and a few models, you measure its performance in each one. They were trained on the same training data. A 3B model performs randomly on it, a 7B model performs also randomly, then suddenly at 13B its performance shoots up rapidly at that task. We can say basically the ability to do that task wasn't present in any meaningful way in the 3B and 7B model but suddenly, at 13B, it emerges and the only variable that changed was the size of the model.

You can see here how performance is just flat, flat, flat then jump. The jump is the emergence

that's a nice explanation of emergence. we can also say it's the spontaneous generation of order, like how a pot of water forms bubbles when heated to 100 degrees, but not when heated to 50 or 95.