Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady is a Yuri light novel/manga/anime series focusing on reincarnated Anisphia (Anis), Genius young lady Euphyllia (Euphie) and the politics and intrigue of royals, magical inventions and Anis being totally gay.

The anime is streaming on Crunchyroll and is really good. The Light Novels are being released in English by Yen Press and we have 3 translated in English and 5 in total. Yen is also doing the manga.

Feel free to discuss the anime, light novel and manga here. Please spoiler the light novel and manga stuff for anime only watchers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm really hoping the anime gets to volume 3 as it's a better stopping point than vol 2 but also some of the best Anis/Euphie content

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I love this gay poo poo--even if it seems like it's only an isekai because that's the fashion. Still gay, still good.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Magitech Hypetrain has no breaks!!

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Anis's energy is wonderful, the relationship is great, and the politics are intriguing. This is one of the highlights of the season so far and I'm looking forward to more.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

cool show, started reading the manga because i needed more

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I didn't like episode 2 as much as episode 1, but I respect that episode 2 was them basically doing full character sketches of both main characters and two important supporting characters. They got across a LOT just in how Anis interacts with her father, what they talk about, the political maneuvering going on, and how extremely gay she is.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Looking forward to the antics of idiot princess.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Anis is so gay. I did find it funny how she was like, I don't want to get with a man what if I end up pregnant and her dad just explodes. Also I predict a lot of fighting with autocorrect in the future when phone posting in this thread.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kwyndig posted:

Anis is so gay. I did find it funny how she was like, I don't want to get with a man what if I end up pregnant and her dad just explodes. Also I predict a lot of fighting with autocorrect in the future when phone posting in this thread.

It's funny because aside from the fact that having potential heirs with claims is Important(tm) to him as King, Anis was really not helping her case with regards to her attempt to walk back her intentions and claim she had no ulterior motives.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's funny because aside from the fact that having potential heirs with claims is Important(tm) to him as King, Anis was really not helping her case with regards to her attempt to walk back her intentions and claim she had no ulterior motives.

Euphie is pretty and cute after all.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
filling the birdie wing/witch of mercury void with this

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Episode 3 was lower key, but I liked that about it. Getting insight into what makes Euphylia tick was nice and the bits with the swords/broom were fun.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i enjoyed the manga well enough, but the anime really feels like a step up

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Arc en ciel is a great name for a magical tool. Loved it Nanoha, love it here

Show is doing a great job of showing just how lost Euphie is and doing it better than the light novel/manga

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I loved how they basically had the "every kid with a bike talking to their parents" conversation with the broom. I gotta say though, people in this fantasy world must be more resilient than in the real world because they just shake off those broom crashes like they don't even hurt.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I noticed is that Euphie's new rapier has a metal loop extending past the crossguards and over the blade, which is a detail I've seen on a bunch of other fictional and real-life rapiers. Any sword nerds know what its purpose is? Is it an extra handguard if you want to hold it by the ricasso?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think it's just a skeletal cup hilt. They also tend to cover a bit of the blade.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

I think it's just a skeletal cup hilt. They also tend to cover a bit of the blade.

Yeah, I was just wondering about the purpose.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
A half sphere offers more protection than a cross guard.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Can't check the episode right now to compare, but from what you're describing it's probably some kind of finger ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSR-eAhKDVA

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Unrelated, but when she suddenly shouted "Fireball!" like a completely generic fantasy spell, for some reason that took me out of the illusion of taking this setting seriously for bit. And then every other time she shouted a magic spell later.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

fezball posted:

Can't check the episode right now to compare, but from what you're describing it's probably some kind of finger ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSR-eAhKDVA

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Yep, definitely looks inspired by finger rings (but is of course rendered entirely useless by the amulet thing blocking the hand...)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The many additional bars on a swept hilt's function is additional protection for the hand and to look pretty. That's all they do.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

mdct posted:

The many additional bars on a swept hilt's function is additional protection for the hand and to look pretty. That's all they do.

You say that like "additional protection" isn't reason enough on it's own. Making them look pretty is just an added bonus at that point.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Relationship in a nutshell

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Arc en ciel is a great name for a magical tool. Loved it Nanoha, love it here

When you want to say rainbow, but you gotta make it cool. Here's hoping Anis gives Euphie increasingly ridiculous gear each episode. Start a revolution with the power of a bullet loaded magic hammer. The king and prime minister continue to be good as well. Trying to dad properly despite the expectations of station and politics.

For those that've read ahead, does the isekai stuff end up a big part of the plot or is it just tacked onto the story because that's what sells today

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GloomMouse posted:

For those that've read ahead, does the isekai stuff end up a big part of the plot or is it just tacked onto the story because that's what sells today

I've read all of the manga that's translated so far and the answer is the latter

Arist fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 20, 2023

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

GloomMouse posted:

Isekai does come into play majorly (not in a bad way) in the future but I don't think this season will cover it.

Eeepies fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 20, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

if next episode ends volume 1 we should be getting to volume 3 in the anime which does deal with some of the Isekai stuff (also has some other amazing scenes too)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

GloomMouse posted:

So far at least, the main purpose of the isekai is to explain why she's so weird. Moreover, she's not just randomly inventing things willy-nilly, she is specifically recreating modern gadgets with magic; ie: everything on the shelf in her workshop is something we, the viewers, are familiar with but Euphie is not.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i think it's very funny that the prince is 100% in the right but is written to be a huge rear end in a top hat to make the plot work. hell yeah dude, arranged marriages suck rear end, and you very clearly like this cute girl that seems perfectly nice. better ruin your fiancee's life as part of an elaborate ruse

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ungulateman posted:

i think it's very funny that the prince is 100% in the right but is written to be a huge rear end in a top hat to make the plot work. hell yeah dude, arranged marriages suck rear end, and you very clearly like this cute girl that seems perfectly nice. better ruin your fiancee's life as part of an elaborate ruse

Beyond being an rear end in a top hat, the problem is that he's showing zero political awareness with regards to how massively disruptive this will be - the heir to the throne getting engaged to the daughter of the prime minister is an event with much greater significance than whether the two kids in question like each other very much (after all, that's what mistresses and concubines are for). If you're dead-set against the arrangement, then it takes enormous preparation and diplomatic nous to untangle the whole mess without triggering a coup or civil war, and he's showing precisely the opposite of that.

So yeah, even if he was just an idealistic kid in love, then this would still be a huge problem requiring all hands on deck to resolve. As is, it feels like an actively hostile power-play against the throne.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes the diplomatic thing to do would have been to continue into the loveless marriage track and just keep a mistress. It's what men since time immemorial have done when trapped into arranged marriages, and sometimes the wife even approves because it means he'll keep his hands off her.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
To summarise, he's not just being a jerk - he's showing all the signs that he will be a bad king while showing no indication that he's willing to abdicate the power and responsibility of being a king.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ungulateman posted:

Maybe this isn't quite clear if you don't read a billion shoujo isekai stories, but the "prince denounces his evil fiancee and chooses true love" is a stock scene as overplayed and hard to take seriously as "the chosen hero must defeat the demon lord." So on the most basic, he IS supposed to be seen as heroic and romantic in that sort of context; it's the culmination of an offscreen cinderella romance between the commoner and the prince.

But BECAUSE this is so overplayed (well, not really, it's more like "the butler did it" in terms of seeming cliche despite not actually happening that often in stories), it's trendier to parody it by shifting our sympathies to the villainess, which requires making very contrived reasons for the prince to publicly humiliate her. In fact, this reversal is so common that Anis immediately recognizes it ("this sort of thing really happens?"). And then the story goes on to parody THAT by immediately shifting focus again to the political ramifications. So it's like a double-layered parody of what at its core was a sincere appeal to true love over arranged marriages.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 21, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Clarste posted:

Maybe this isn't quite clear if you don't read a billion shoujo isekai stories, but the "prince denounces his evil fiancee and chooses true love" is a stock scene as overplayed and hard to take seriously as "the hero must defeat the demon lord." So on the most basic, he IS supposed to be seen as heroic and romantic in that sort of context, it's the culmination of an offscreen cinderella romance between the commoner and the prince.

But BECAUSE this is so overplayed (well, not really, it's more like "the butler did it" in terms of seeming ubiquitous despite not actually happening that often in stories), it's trendier to parody it by shifting our sympathies to the villainess. In fact, this reversal is so common that Anis immediately recognizes it ("this sort of thing really happens?"). And then the story goes on to parody THAT by immediately shifting focus again to the political ramifications. So it's like a double-layered parody of what at its core was a sincere appeal to true love over arranged marriages.

Yeah, I don't even read/watch that much shoujo but I've picked up this much at least. The villainess reversal is very popular at the moment.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Clarste posted:

Maybe this isn't quite clear if you don't read a billion shoujo isekai stories, but the "prince denounces his evil fiancee and chooses true love" is a stock scene as overplayed and hard to take seriously as "the hero must defeat the demon lord." So on the most basic, he IS supposed to be seen as heroic and romantic in that sort of context; it's the culmination of an offscreen cinderella romance between the commoner and the prince.

But BECAUSE this is so overplayed (well, not really, it's more like "the butler did it" in terms of seeming cliche despite not actually happening that often in stories), it's trendier to parody it by shifting our sympathies to the villainess, which requires making very contrived reasons for the prince to publicly humiliate her. In fact, this reversal is so common that Anis immediately recognizes it ("this sort of thing really happens?"). And then the story goes on to parody THAT by immediately shifting focus again to the political ramifications. So it's like a double-layered parody of what at its core was a sincere appeal to true love over arranged marriages.

Honestly shifting to politics on the subject isn't even new either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
yeah, on reflection what i meant was 'this guy is one actual justification away from being in the right here, and i feel like i've seen the story where he had one', rather than the implied 'this story is bad because it makes a minor contrivance for there to be a conflict'

e: in fact i think that hypothetical story is exactly the 'canon' version of Fortune Lover from My Next Life as a Villainess

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 21, 2023