Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kwyndig posted:

Yes the diplomatic thing to do would have been to continue into the loveless marriage track and just keep a mistress. It's what men since time immemorial have done when trapped into arranged marriages, and sometimes the wife even approves because it means he'll keep his hands off her.

It's not even that. He could have totally broken off the marriage tactfully, but he needs to lay the groundwork for it and have something more than "the prime minister's daughter bullied a lower noble a few times at school"

He did something that was both incredibly disruptive to the the succession and did it poorly.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Maybe it will come back up but it also seemed like a lie? Not that the prince didn't believe it but it seems like the accusations were untrue.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Bibliophile Princess also had a very similar reversal of the trope with someone accusing her of bullying and the Prince's men unraveling the scheme and proving that it never happened

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yawgmoft posted:

Maybe it will come back up but it also seemed like a lie? Not that the prince didn't believe it but it seems like the accusations were untrue.

The accusations are false, there's something weird going on with the girl

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Neat episode, great pacing.

And yeah considering wars have absolutely been fought over less, the Prince I don't think is particularly even in the same kingdom of being in the right.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
Even if the Prince had been right that loveless marriages suck, he did publicly humiliate Euphyllia, an innocent and emotionally vulnerable girl at a social event and you could even say that he also mistreats Layne by you know, forcing through his engagement to her. You might notice that Layne essentially doesn't get to say anything about the event even though she is supposed to be at the center of it.

verdict : 0/10 awful prince with no sense of his responsabilities to his kingdom or to how to treat ladies, straight to the guillotine

edit : btw speaking of engagement annulment events there is like an entire shojo anthology manga with like 8 volumes that is all about that stuff. Some of it is very fun, some of it is eh and chapter 1 of the first volume is absolute dogshit. Do not under any circumstances read that chapter.

January 6 Survivor fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 21, 2023

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
I like the manga and am enjoying the show so far but I can't imagine there's enough material out yet for a full season. Is there a novel that I'm unaware of?

The Isekai stuff does come up but at least in the manga it's never really heavy handed or disruptive to the story. It's mostly just a crutch for the main characters obsessions and some of her advancements are mentioned in passing to be related to her previous education.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The junk collector posted:

I like the manga and am enjoying the show so far but I can't imagine there's enough material out yet for a full season. Is there a novel that I'm unaware of?

The Isekai stuff does come up but at least in the manga it's never really heavy handed or disruptive to the story. It's mostly just a crutch for the main characters obsessions and some of her advancements are mentioned in passing to be related to her previous education.

Yeah, there's five volumes out so far I think and three are translated

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ungulateman posted:

i think it's very funny that the prince is 100% in the right but is written to be a huge rear end in a top hat to make the plot work. hell yeah dude, arranged marriages suck rear end, and you very clearly like this cute girl that seems perfectly nice. better ruin your fiancee's life as part of an elaborate ruse

I don't know if I really want to spoil this?

But I feel like only half spoiling it might explain a lot, because it's 100% leaning on genre tropes for comedy: (But still kinda big spoilers) she has a quite literal Otome game heroine field around her, which Anis and company become very interested in researching

In short -

Clarste posted:

So it's like a double-layered parody of what at its core was a sincere appeal to true love over arranged marriages.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

January 6 Survivor posted:

edit : btw speaking of engagement annulment events there is like an entire shojo anthology manga with like 8 volumes that is all about that stuff. Some of it is very fun, some of it is eh and chapter 1 of the first volume is absolute dogshit. Do not under any circumstances read that chapter.

The 2nd chapter ("The Tale of the Noble Girl who will go to a Monastery after her Engagement Annulment") is very good IMO.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Yawgmoft posted:

oh yeah the accusations are really obviously false. the interesting part is that euphyllia is so dedicated to her ideals that she isn't willing to call him out and ends up sounding like she's admitting to it when she talks about giving layne advice.

i also agree it's a pretty huge rear end in a top hat move to not get layne's input on any of this, even if albert and euphyllia are mutually incapable of coming to an agreement that doesn't put them at odds. that bothers me way more than albert's disregard for his position (given that i am not insane and think monarchy is bad)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ungulateman posted:

oh yeah the accusations are really obviously false. the interesting part is that euphyllia is so dedicated to her ideals that she isn't willing to call him out and ends up sounding like she's admitting to it when she talks about giving layne advice.

i also agree it's a pretty huge rear end in a top hat move to not get layne's input on any of this, even if albert and euphyllia are mutually incapable of coming to an agreement that doesn't put them at odds. that bothers me way more than albert's disregard for his position (given that i am not insane and think monarchy is bad)

I think Albert's disregard for his position is more damning because he still seems to want his position. All of the power, none of the responsibility.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think he wants it that much? If anything he seems to feel it was forced on him by his sister (by giving up her claim as the eldest child). Everything about his actions screams to me that he's jealous of her freedom, and the fact that everyone gives her so much special treatment while he's expected to just fit into a role and never complain.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Clarste posted:

I don't think he wants it that much? If anything he seems to feel it was forced on him by his sister (by giving up her claim as the eldest child). Everything about his actions screams to me that he's jealous of her freedom, and the fact that everyone gives her so much special treatment while he's expected to just fit into a role and never complain.

If he wants away from that, though, then he could just try going away. This wasn't an elopement, it was him booting out a potential queen he didn't want, using his status as a weapon against Euphyllia. Again, keeping the power, but not the responsibility.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I guess in his defense, Anis was easily able to "go away" while still having all the privilege her station affords her because he was there to take the heir role. He doesn't have the same luxury since there aren't any other children. Putting the crown on Child #2 is way less of problem for monarchy then putting it on a cousin or whatever, especially if Child #1 is cool with it and everyone else thinks #1 is a bad egg. Like yeah he's being a huge dumb rear end in a top hat but it's not unreasonable for him to feel some envy and frustration at the situation. Saying "Well just run off and be a poor(ish) ex-prince if you love her so much!" is a bit unfair. Given people are putting up spoiler bars and Anis seems genre aware I'm going to cut him some slack... but keeping the guillotine schedule open in case it's needed.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

You should always keep a couple of guillotine slots open, that's just a generally good rule of thumb.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yeah, otherwise you end up waiting outside, hoping for a last-minute cancellation.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
This is gay and good and I am thoroughly enjoying it so far

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This episode had a certain kind of energy to it that I can't quite place but feels familiar, like someone going through a divorce? Staying with a family friend, coming and going to grab your things, everyone being extra accommodating than usual. Anyone else feel something interesting with the quieter scenes this ep?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

This episode had a certain kind of energy to it that I can't quite place but feels familiar, like someone going through a divorce? Staying with a family friend, coming and going to grab your things, everyone being extra accommodating than usual. Anyone else feel something interesting with the quieter scenes this ep?

I mean, that's more or less exactly what happened, no?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I mean, it was an engagement, which is a little different compared to a marriage/committed relationship. I guess I'm more floored by how the energy of the scenes was just so convincing.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's not just that Euphie had her engagement broken but she's also been removed from being in the job she spent most of her years training for. And she's being told to take things easy to boot

It's a huge whiplash and she's 100% not sure how she's gonna handle it

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Omnicrom posted:

You should always keep a couple of guillotine slots open, that's just a generally good rule of thumb.

You just reminded me that Tearmoon Saga is in the works.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I'm still enjoying how this show melds interpersonal relationships, political intrigue, and isekai fantasy in kind of a lower key way. Really curious how they handle a rising action like the dragon.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's not just that Euphie had her engagement broken but she's also been removed from being in the job she spent most of her years training for. And she's being told to take things easy to boot

It's a huge whiplash and she's 100% not sure how she's gonna handle it

i watched the last 2 episodes back to back and it's sad how many of the euphie perspective scenes (at least when she's not directly interacting with anis) feature a shadowy close up of an eyeball, her eyes, or some other purposefully disconnected portion of her face with an interior monologue like 'there is nothing for me... i'm human trash....'. i'm happy we got so much down time with euphie because she really needed it.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
first half of the new episode is a good companion piece for the previous one. last episode gives us a bit of why anis needs euphie, and we get the same for why euphie needs anis. don't really care about the prince at all, but i'm excited for some adventuring to happen

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Time to get some high grade dragon parts--- I mean save the country.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

kirtar posted:

Multitasking :eng101:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Honestly I thought the scene with Prince Al was also a really good one give us some context for him. The show isn't on his side, but it's also written such that we can understand his perspective and his motivations. He intrudes into the meeting to do some political theater by making a big speech about how he's good and cool and going to go fight the dragon. He's doing it to get his house arrest lifted, keep his girlfriend, restore face, and make a stand about his own capacity for self-determination. In that last bit he's not far from either Anis or Euphie in the sense he's struggling with the expectations of his birth. Honestly I could get behind him if he wasn't being portrayed as a kind of lovely person. Again, the show wants us to get him, not necessarily like him.

Also it's kind of funny finding out that there are enough people who clearly haven't met Anis that think she's a better fit for the throne, and that's really getting to him. No doubt his cool, free-spirited elder sister and his ex-fiancé on the rebound killing the Dragon next episode is gonna really piss him off.

kirtar posted:

We call that a "win-win situation".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Omnicrom posted:

Also it's kind of funny finding out that there are enough people who clearly haven't met Anis that think she's a better fit for the throne, and that's really getting to him.

It's also interesting that the king also thinks that Anis would be a better fit for the throne and he's aware that she's been deliberately playing up her ditzy persona to hide that fact

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's also interesting that the king also thinks that Anis would be a better fit for the throne and he's aware that she's been deliberately playing up her ditzy persona to hide that fact

I'm not sure he did though? He says that he knows that Anis is playing up her own ridiculousness to make herself look like an unappealing heir to the upper crust in part to make Algard look better, but he doesn't mention whether he actually believes she's the better choice. When he brings up the rumor campaign that paints Algard as untalented he refers to it only as such and seems to take a dim view of it so I don't think he actually believes it.

But time will tell.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
When they burst through the doors at the end of negotiations I really thought they were going to say the princess killed the dragon already offscreen.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They wouldn't deny us a sick dragon fight like that

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the manga devotes several chapters to it, the anime owes us at least one episode.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I think that would have been hilarious, really sweep the legs out from under the prince.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah the manga devotes several chapters to it, the anime owes us at least one episode.

Hell yeah, it feels like it's been a while since we had a isekai that made Dragons feel impressive. Kumo desu ga was basically the last time I recall it feeling weighty as a life or death struggle.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
My only problem with this show is the Prince straight up excused Euphy of orchestrating an assassination plot against his beloved and they just kinda glossed over it. That seems like the kind of accusation you need to have proof for, and there are serious repercussions for making falsely.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Talorat posted:

My only problem with this show is the Prince straight up excused Euphy of orchestrating an assassination plot against his beloved and they just kinda glossed over it. That seems like the kind of accusation you need to have proof for, and there are serious repercussions for making falsely.

I mean there kinda has been, immediate house arrest and also unfortunately Euphy being forcedencouraged to keep her head down. I think the idea was there's enough false "witnesses" to it from important families allied to the Prince or his gf that the King probably can't do much more than that without pissing off a potential faction. Kinda funny how neatly this follows CK3 logic :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Don't worry! I'm sure Anisphia going off to kill the dragon herself won't pump up the faction supporting her as the next queen and create a bunch of strife in the kingdom!