Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I like Lainie and all, but I kinda hope she dies. I know that sounds bad, but like narratively, her death could be a real catalyst to get our MC to step up and stop just playing mad scientist in the background and actually try to effectuate some real change in the society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I was thinking that the Princess will lose to her brother and rip out some/all of her own magicite to save Lainie and somehow not die in the process. Which will eventually result in a rematch with Prince rear end in a top hat but this time with all 3 of the gals he's screwed over fighting him to take him down.

Or she'll just stuff Lainie full of those magic drugs so she doesn't die I dunno

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I agree killing her would have more gravitas but no one is going to introduce vampires into their show just to kill them two episodes later

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't know, if it's self contained in one light novel I could see it. I don't think that's what's going to happen, even if Anis needs a kick in the teeth to get serious about things. Having to fight her own brother should do that just fine.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kwyndig posted:

I don't know, if it's self contained in one light novel I could see it. I don't think that's what's going to happen, even if Anis needs a kick in the teeth to get serious about things. Having to fight her own brother should do that just fine.

Whatever happens she's going to come out of this fight with the realisation that ceding the throne to her brother was a super bad idea and she needs to fix that poo poo

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
All Anis wanted was to do magic and have a wife, but instead she's gonna have to legalize gay marriage and take over the world.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dexanth posted:

All Anis wanted was to do magic and have a wife, but instead she's gonna have to legalize gay marriage and take over the world.

Imagine a series where its her kingdom being invaded for the above so has to go all Revolutionary Yuri France on the rest of the world :getin:

e: FAKE EDIT Imagine a genderflipped Napoleon who just marries every rival Queen!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Raenir Salazar posted:

Imagine a series where its her kingdom being invaded for the above so has to go all Revolutionary Yuri France on the rest of the world :getin:

e: FAKE EDIT Imagine a genderflipped Napoleon who just marries every rival Queen!

Whatever will Empress Josephine think?

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean, she's probably gonna have to, you know. So it goes when you're that gay

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Genderflipped Napoleon yuri event feels like it should of been a FGO event already

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just watched the first episode without knowing anything about the IP. Mostly a lot of exposition, up until the payoff in the last couple minutes, but the payoff was great. I think the princess just declared "five second rule" on a whole relationship? I didn't know you could do that! Lesbians are very powerful.

Episode two review, the prime minister has a hot voice and I'm glad he's okay with his daughter marrying a girl. The king needs to loving chill. The brother is the obligatory scumbag, but too many of the characters would be likable without him, and isekai is chained to its tropes even when the actual isekai element is an afterthought.

Anis is interesting. She reminds me of some real historical eccentrics.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 26, 2023

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
It's interesting that nearly everyone has the the same goals. The Prince, Anis, and Tilty are all out to destroy the social order built around hereditary magic nobility. Al with his inferiority complex wants to become a dictator and force change from the top down, Tilty with her resentment of her curse wants a proletariat uprising to crush the nobility, and Anis wants an industrial revolution that will shift power from the nobles to the broader society. This matches up with Anis' idea of magic being wonderment and her solution being relatively non-violent (it would still require a monster ranching industrial complex) while Tilty views magic as being evil, and Al views it as a spiteful obligation both have gone towards violent solutions.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Episode out, very satisfying. They did cut/change some things though so I’m wondering how that’s gonna effect how they handle volume 3, it’s already a little tight at 3 episodes left. One of the things might have just been cut for time and could be easily explained next episode though

Exia fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 1, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

loved this episode as a whole - brother drama is like a knife to my heart and they crushed the emotional side of it. i did think algard went from psycho to remorseful a little quickly.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
Pre-fight hype did not disappoint. Great episode.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Not really sure what Algard's big brain plan was here? He wanted to secure his throne to gain the ability to destroy the kingdom so his sister, who was far superior to him, could get the recognition she deserved. But also fought her in an honest to god fight that could have killed her after injuring a girl she was protecting in such a way that it would normally have killed her? Was the whole plan to get himself killed so she could inherit the throne instead of him?

Seems… not very well-thought-out?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not really sure what Algard's big brain plan was here? He wanted to secure his throne to gain the ability to destroy the kingdom so his sister, who was far superior to him, could get the recognition she deserved. But also fought her in an honest to god fight that could have killed her after injuring a girl she was protecting in such a way that it would normally have killed her? Was the whole plan to get himself killed so she could inherit the throne instead of him?

wondering what kind of context the light novels give because i agree that algard's motivations don't really stand up to scrutiny

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Southern Cassowary posted:

wondering what kind of context the light novels give because i agree that algard's motivations don't really stand up to scrutiny

I kind of see it as an emotional teenager being manipulated into doing something stupid by a faction that probably wants him to kill his sister and then die/fail himself, thus destroying the current royal family. I don't really think they expected him to come out of this as the king, his vampire powers didn't really seem like 'I'm going to beat the entire royal guard myself after murdering my sister' good. He was just a confused and depressed teenager that was taken advantage of.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
The impression I got was he wasn't just doing it for his sister, but people like her as well as oppressed people generally. He thought if he did nothing, the traditional nobility class would do something like execute her anyway, and then go on to make the world worse that it already was. Which doesn't seem too far fetched at least. Saying he was just a depressed and taken advantage of teenager is way less credit than he deserves here since he was planning to doublecross his supposed manipulating conspirators and go against their goals. He had a plan of his own and apparently was willing to go through unimaginable-to-Lainie pain to do it.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 1, 2023

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Suicide by cop that would force said cop to become the thing he believes she should have been and wrongfully abandoned, with the caveat that if he did manange to make himself stronger, he would then dedicate himself to eradicating the kingdom that denied his sister's greatness.

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 1, 2023

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Men would literally rather murder a girl, eat her heart to become a vampire, and fight you to the death than talk about their feelings.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Sindai posted:

Men would literally rather murder a girl, eat her heart to become a vampire, and fight you to the death than talk about their feelings.

edelgard von hresvelg walked so he could run

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Pretty stupid plan on the part of Al's co-conspirators. There's like one eventuality (everything going exactly as they hoped) that doesn't end in them getting them getting their heads chopped off. I guess that's privilege and arrogance for you.

Also man the succession is kinda hosed now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nitrousoxide posted:

Don't forget that the plan was for the conspirators to keep Anisphia distracted at the Magic Academy while the prince steals Lainie's magicite, they were trying to avoid a confrontation. They may have been counting on using the vampiric charm powers to influence everyone including Anis afterwards.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Southern Cassowary posted:

loved this episode as a whole - brother drama is like a knife to my heart and they crushed the emotional side of it. i did think algard went from psycho to remorseful a little quickly.

The quick 180 from angry to remorseful really hurt the episode for me. It just made no sense that he was mad enough to go through this elaborate and long plan that I assume involved killing or imprisoning all of his family, and then just be completely cool with them after. To the point of giving sage advise as he is being taken away.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Exia posted:

Episode out, very satisfying.

I’m gonna have to hard disagree here. The pathos of Al’s remorseful turn felt completely unearned, I was rolling my eyes during his entire pity party. The only thing that salvaged the episode for me was Euphie slapping him. I feel like maybe if we were given 2-3 more episodes to see a kinder side of the brother it might have worked?

Consider in Last Airbender how they are setting up Zuko’s turn for two entire seasons before it happens, and we learn to really love Zuko even as a villain, so it feels cathartic when he finally has his redemption. In this we have 6 straight episodes of him being an rear end in a top hat with maybe 12 total minutes of screen time. There’s just not enough time to make him more than two dimensional so a turn like this falls completely flat.

Not trying to poo poo on this show for the folks who are enjoying it but oof.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Talorat posted:

I’m gonna have to hard disagree here. The pathos of Al’s remorseful turn felt completely unearned, I was rolling my eyes during his entire pity party. The only thing that salvaged the episode for me was Euphie slapping him. I feel like maybe if we were given 2-3 more episodes to see a kinder side of the brother it might have worked?

Consider in Last Airbender how they are setting up Zuko’s turn for two entire seasons before it happens, and we learn to really love Zuko even as a villain, so it feels cathartic when he finally has his redemption. In this we have 6 straight episodes of him being an rear end in a top hat with maybe 12 total minutes of screen time. There’s just not enough time to make him more than two dimensional so a turn like this falls completely flat.

I agree 100%

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Talorat posted:

Yeah, I think you summed up my issue with the episode better than I did. Wonder if this worked better in the novel.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Pacing issues is just kinda a curse that afflicts a lot of otherwise pretty good anime. :(

If this was like a 2-cours series I feel like there was some stuff at the end there that could've been expanded on and fleshed out for a few more episodes.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
This episode really drives home that they are trying to cram to much character development into to little screen time. I really liked how they did the characters in the first few episodes, but the pacing of the comic seems to come off much better.
I do disagree that Al had a big heel turn though, he's been pretty consistent just not very fleshed out so it's hard to care about him other than how the other characters react to him. They also kind of glossed over Anis' issue after the fact, apparently she's in a coma now?

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
It comes with the nature of an adaptation, especially when the anime is cutting a lot of “non essential” stuff to be able to fit 3 volumes in. Probably could have fully adapted all of 1 and 2 into just 12 episodes if they didn’t try and also adapt volume 3, but Vol 3 is just to important, both narratively, and as an ending to the season, to save for a theoretical season 2

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I agree 100%

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I'd say even with it being a fast-paced adaptation there was room to write the entire Algard plot and his motivations more effectively.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

al's characterization makes plenty of sense to me, including his attitude and actions, idk if i'm missing something ya'll are seeing?

all of him being angry and poo poo is just a front for getting anis to kill him and inherit the throne as the only option - he's willingly throwing himself on the sword to force her to be the ruler because by all reasonable standards, she should be. he recognizes she inherently will change the power dynamic between commoners and nobility but also fully recognizes that the current nobility will execute her on the spot and overthrow the kingdom if she was to get within 10 feet of the throne because of the very nature of nobility hording power in the most literal sense to themselves.

like, they make a note from lanie that even with the wounds healing, the pain stays in full and he's powering through it not out of a sense of blind rage or jealousy or whatever. he's literally martyring himself to the throne so a commoner's revolution can take place regardless of the pain it brings him because the only way that he sees a way out is with his death- either by her hands or through a royal execution for inciting a revolution with the nobles who would be the center of any traditionalist usurping of power. it's being applied in both a literal, physical manner and through the intent of his actions at a larger scale.

when he says he hates everything, he means himself as well - the responsibility he has as royalty to 'fix' the future of the kingdom rather than being allowed to live happily as family. it's his 'duty' to do everything in his power to make sure there's a future for the people, especially those who are weak or 'different' like his sister.

when he talks about being able to care for others and change things through genius, he's talking out of a place of self-loathing. he knows that better people with better ways because of anis, but if everything fails and he's the only option left, the only path he sees is killing a shitload of innocents to reinforce his rule because he knows he's ultimately that limited as a person.

his whole deal is basically planning for all potential outcomes - if his plan is successful and he suicides-by-family then he would've been able to point out every single potential 'problem' noble which would get them executed and if he failed and had to take the throne, he'd just kill them all himself and anyone who tried to stop him, including a bunch of innocent bystanders who get caught in the crossfire. to even get on that path, he has to kill the girl he loves because of the burden of royalty and the 'greater good' - he's so limited that he can only pull it as a train problem.

i think it works pretty good as a companion piece to how euphilia sees anis as this manifestation of freedom and being true to herself no matter what. al's a fella who is basically the direct result of someone who doesn't believe he has the luxury to be himself or live freely as a result of anis doin' her own thing. he wants to protect that, at all costs, even his own life.

like, it's not a turn from angry to remorseful, he's not remorseful at all which is why he has the attitude after his defeat. he was trying to die to the greater good and ended up failing at that, even. he's pouring his heart out at the only person in the world who would really get what he was aiming for. he's not a lovestruck, depressed teenage boy at all - he's someone who has been spending his entire life trying to come up with an answer to a society that is falling apart at the seams due to the greed of the few taking what little happiness he can until his hand is forced by the nobles he despises bc they're about to overthrow the kingdom anyways

i thought it was pretty good! keeping him in the dark as this antagonistic figure rather than trying to showcase a mystery would pretty much cut all the tension loose from the fight because it'd be very easy to guess from the getgo what his goals were. it also ties to the nature of how anis lives, totally detached from the world and others for better or worse. it ups the tragedy that stems from her deliberately not having a wide enough scope to really 'grasp' what's going on with someone so close to her despite how easily "solvable" it would've been with some communication.

i guess the main thing is the detachment from the general world means you don't really get a lot of that until these last couple of episodes so it feels like all the dramatic tension for anis's situation kinda springs up outta nowhere.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Talorat posted:

Yeah, the turn in the last bit where everyone is so sad for Al is a bit jarring. I get the family being "Why did it have to come to this?" But like...Lainie. He tried and came very loving close to murdering you. Any normal person would be scared to be NEAR HIM and you're FLIRTING. Are you into getting your heart ripped out? Is that your fetish?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I don't know, there's something sobering about watching someone try to commit suicide. There's a sort of peace, if that's the right word, in knowing you literally cannot punish someone more than they tried to punish themselves.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Laine also says at the end that she hates Al. She's probably understanding of why things happened but I don't read her as fully forgiving nor even being interested in Al any more. It's more of a "hope things go okay but I never want to see you again" ending. Especially since Laine has a Ilya now!

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

So honestly, I really liked it, and I feel there's a dimension others haven't noticed here. What I saw was Al was trying to escape the prison he saw himself in the only way he knew how. When Anis rejected the throne - what he saw wasn't just 'she is so much better than me', but 'She ran from the responsibility and forced it onto me instead', and he doesn't want it either. But he feels trapped by duty and obligation, and resentful that she was the one who forced him into this. That if Anis hadn't rejected the throne, he could have been free to have a different life, but instead she chose that freedom for herself, and...left him behind to pick up the pieces. And then in the twisted everything that resulted...well, forcing her to kill him is the one way he sees that lets him escape in an 'acceptable' way.

It's twisted and hosed up and wrong, but like, ultimately born out of a breakdown in communication and lack of understanding between people.

Also I don't buy Anis is reacting to her tattoo at the end there, that to me looked far more like 'I am in such guilt and despair over feeling I caused this, total shutdown' which...yea, I get. The shattering of one's joy can do that.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah, the turn in the last bit where everyone is so sad for Al is a bit jarring. I get the family being "Why did it have to come to this?" But like...Lainie. He tried and came very loving close to murdering you. Any normal person would be scared to be NEAR HIM and you're FLIRTING. Are you into getting your heart ripped out? Is that your fetish?

Don't forget they both just came out of an extended mutually abusive relationship where they were gaslighting each other. Al was grooming her and she was applying mind control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
So the implication here is that Euphie and Anis' dads were lovers? Or am I misreading just how gay this series is?