Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I didn't like episode 2 as much as episode 1, but I respect that episode 2 was them basically doing full character sketches of both main characters and two important supporting characters. They got across a LOT just in how Anis interacts with her father, what they talk about, the political maneuvering going on, and how extremely gay she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

You should always keep a couple of guillotine slots open, that's just a generally good rule of thumb.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Honestly I thought the scene with Prince Al was also a really good one give us some context for him. The show isn't on his side, but it's also written such that we can understand his perspective and his motivations. He intrudes into the meeting to do some political theater by making a big speech about how he's good and cool and going to go fight the dragon. He's doing it to get his house arrest lifted, keep his girlfriend, restore face, and make a stand about his own capacity for self-determination. In that last bit he's not far from either Anis or Euphie in the sense he's struggling with the expectations of his birth. Honestly I could get behind him if he wasn't being portrayed as a kind of lovely person. Again, the show wants us to get him, not necessarily like him.

Also it's kind of funny finding out that there are enough people who clearly haven't met Anis that think she's a better fit for the throne, and that's really getting to him. No doubt his cool, free-spirited elder sister and his ex-fiancé on the rebound killing the Dragon next episode is gonna really piss him off.

kirtar posted:

Time to get some high grade dragon parts--- I mean save the country.

We call that a "win-win situation".

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's also interesting that the king also thinks that Anis would be a better fit for the throne and he's aware that she's been deliberately playing up her ditzy persona to hide that fact

I'm not sure he did though? He says that he knows that Anis is playing up her own ridiculousness to make herself look like an unappealing heir to the upper crust in part to make Algard look better, but he doesn't mention whether he actually believes she's the better choice. When he brings up the rumor campaign that paints Algard as untalented he refers to it only as such and seems to take a dim view of it so I don't think he actually believes it.

But time will tell.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Darth Walrus posted:

I think that's only an option if Anis keeps up her streak and seduces the dragon.

Given this is an Isekai I'm not ruling this one out. The genre has a track record of that sort of thing.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

"Boy it sure was good I was cursed by Dragon and got a rad back tattoo!"

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

a pipe smoking dog posted:

lol that Anis' go to plan is always "add my brother's ex to my harem"

She isn't even his ex this time!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

GloomMouse posted:

Anis about to find out that Haremology is much more difficult than Magicology

Alternately that a Polycule is not the same thing as a Polytechnic.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

skaianDestiny posted:

Change the "men" to "lesbians" please so its actually relevant to the show.

:emptyquote:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Talorat posted:

Laine getting a hole punched through her chest was quite a shock, unfortunately I’m sure they’ll undercut it by her being fine at the end of the next episode.

I'm fully expecting Anis to pull a dragon and rip the chunk of magicite out of Algard and stick it back in Laine so she can blood heal.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yawgmoft posted:

Well we have vampires now, so maybe zombie?

Alternately Liches. Very pretty Liches.

Lumi is totally either the progenitor of either the current dynasty or a previous one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Southern Cassowary posted:

In agreement about it feeling rushed but also appreciating the textual lesbian relationship.

Ultimately, I think I wish this show was better than it is, which is okay to fine.

I could just :emptyquote: and leave it at that. Since I'm not I'll just go on to say I think it probably would have been possible to cover all this material in a better way. I'm going to be blunt and say I think the pacing is off, it's too slow in bits that needed to be faster and moves too quickly through bits that should have been expanded on. I know it's been said a couple of times that a chunk of the background and world detail was left behind in the adaptation, and I can honestly say I believe that. It felt a little bit too slight, and I feel like the main conflict of the third arc felt like it wasn't framed quite right. The last-minute explanation of why Anis is so self-conscious about her title makes sense, but it feels like this should have been something alluded to earlier.

This is definitely a show where the dream of the show extends beyond the reality of the show and cases like that are always frustrating, yet also fascinating. I don't get the sense there's going to be another season of this, but if there is I'll definitely check it out.