Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Southern Cassowary posted:

loved this episode as a whole - brother drama is like a knife to my heart and they crushed the emotional side of it. i did think algard went from psycho to remorseful a little quickly.

The quick 180 from angry to remorseful really hurt the episode for me. It just made no sense that he was mad enough to go through this elaborate and long plan that I assume involved killing or imprisoning all of his family, and then just be completely cool with them after. To the point of giving sage advise as he is being taken away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Talorat posted:

I’m gonna have to hard disagree here. The pathos of Al’s remorseful turn felt completely unearned, I was rolling my eyes during his entire pity party. The only thing that salvaged the episode for me was Euphie slapping him. I feel like maybe if we were given 2-3 more episodes to see a kinder side of the brother it might have worked?

Consider in Last Airbender how they are setting up Zuko’s turn for two entire seasons before it happens, and we learn to really love Zuko even as a villain, so it feels cathartic when he finally has his redemption. In this we have 6 straight episodes of him being an rear end in a top hat with maybe 12 total minutes of screen time. There’s just not enough time to make him more than two dimensional so a turn like this falls completely flat.

Not trying to poo poo on this show for the folks who are enjoying it but oof.

Yeah, I think you summed up my issue with the episode better than I did. Wonder if this worked better in the novel.