Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I noticed is that Euphie's new rapier has a metal loop extending past the crossguards and over the blade, which is a detail I've seen on a bunch of other fictional and real-life rapiers. Any sword nerds know what its purpose is? Is it an extra handguard if you want to hold it by the ricasso?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

I think it's just a skeletal cup hilt. They also tend to cover a bit of the blade.

Yeah, I was just wondering about the purpose.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ungulateman posted:

i think it's very funny that the prince is 100% in the right but is written to be a huge rear end in a top hat to make the plot work. hell yeah dude, arranged marriages suck rear end, and you very clearly like this cute girl that seems perfectly nice. better ruin your fiancee's life as part of an elaborate ruse

Beyond being an rear end in a top hat, the problem is that he's showing zero political awareness with regards to how massively disruptive this will be - the heir to the throne getting engaged to the daughter of the prime minister is an event with much greater significance than whether the two kids in question like each other very much (after all, that's what mistresses and concubines are for). If you're dead-set against the arrangement, then it takes enormous preparation and diplomatic nous to untangle the whole mess without triggering a coup or civil war, and he's showing precisely the opposite of that.

So yeah, even if he was just an idealistic kid in love, then this would still be a huge problem requiring all hands on deck to resolve. As is, it feels like an actively hostile power-play against the throne.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
To summarise, he's not just being a jerk - he's showing all the signs that he will be a bad king while showing no indication that he's willing to abdicate the power and responsibility of being a king.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ungulateman posted:

oh yeah the accusations are really obviously false. the interesting part is that euphyllia is so dedicated to her ideals that she isn't willing to call him out and ends up sounding like she's admitting to it when she talks about giving layne advice.

i also agree it's a pretty huge rear end in a top hat move to not get layne's input on any of this, even if albert and euphyllia are mutually incapable of coming to an agreement that doesn't put them at odds. that bothers me way more than albert's disregard for his position (given that i am not insane and think monarchy is bad)

I think Albert's disregard for his position is more damning because he still seems to want his position. All of the power, none of the responsibility.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Clarste posted:

I don't think he wants it that much? If anything he seems to feel it was forced on him by his sister (by giving up her claim as the eldest child). Everything about his actions screams to me that he's jealous of her freedom, and the fact that everyone gives her so much special treatment while he's expected to just fit into a role and never complain.

If he wants away from that, though, then he could just try going away. This wasn't an elopement, it was him booting out a potential queen he didn't want, using his status as a weapon against Euphyllia. Again, keeping the power, but not the responsibility.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

This episode had a certain kind of energy to it that I can't quite place but feels familiar, like someone going through a divorce? Staying with a family friend, coming and going to grab your things, everyone being extra accommodating than usual. Anyone else feel something interesting with the quieter scenes this ep?

I mean, that's more or less exactly what happened, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

What if she (speculation) IS THE DRAGON!?

I think that's only an option if Anis keeps up her streak and seduces the dragon.