Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Anis's energy is wonderful, the relationship is great, and the politics are intriguing. This is one of the highlights of the season so far and I'm looking forward to more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Episode 3 was lower key, but I liked that about it. Getting insight into what makes Euphylia tick was nice and the bits with the swords/broom were fun.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I'm still enjoying how this show melds interpersonal relationships, political intrigue, and isekai fantasy in kind of a lower key way. Really curious how they handle a rising action like the dragon.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

That was pretty fuckin' hype.

Was absolutely expecting the dragon to be sentient but I'm wondering what the curse is, also what the gently caress is prince up to with the minister and is the curse related somehow.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Exia posted:

This week: that awkward moment when you introduce Wife #2 to Wife #1

the maid going to go get tea cracked me up

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

drat, that escalated quickly. Didn't really expect this to go to "let's show Lainie with a gaping hole in her chest while bleeding out" dark. I suspect this is the kind of plot where Anis smokes Algard and then has to deal with the political fallout of murdering her brother

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

loved this episode as a whole - brother drama is like a knife to my heart and they crushed the emotional side of it. i did think algard went from psycho to remorseful a little quickly.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not really sure what Algard's big brain plan was here? He wanted to secure his throne to gain the ability to destroy the kingdom so his sister, who was far superior to him, could get the recognition she deserved. But also fought her in an honest to god fight that could have killed her after injuring a girl she was protecting in such a way that it would normally have killed her? Was the whole plan to get himself killed so she could inherit the throne instead of him?

Seems… not very well-thought-out?

wondering what kind of context the light novels give because i agree that algard's motivations don't really stand up to scrutiny

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I'd say even with it being a fast-paced adaptation there was room to write the entire Algard plot and his motivations more effectively.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

looks like immortality sucks rear end. IT'S TIME TO DUEL

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Gonna be honest, I'm really not feeling this current drama.

the spirit contract feels like a contrived way to set up a euphie/anis duel for the throne and also further their relationship and motivations. this is another instance where magirevo seems more interested in emotional story beats than making sure the plot is tight - i don't totally mind this because the emotional stuff does have a decent hit rate for me, but i wish it was plotted better.

people have mentioned that we've gone through three volumes of the ln, and i'm at the point where i've seen enough that i think it would have been effective to write the algard fight as a climax for s1 and give everything else more room to breathe. wonder what the climax of this arc will be to indicate otherwise.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

GloomMouse posted:

Well the rushed pacing didn't do the show any favors to my mind. Still it scored high marks for having Anis and Euphie be explicitly 100% gay for each other rather than having the relationship banished to the ~subtext~ realm

In agreement about it feeling rushed but also appreciating the textual lesbian relationship.

Ultimately, I think I wish this show was better than it is, which is okay to fine. I might give the light novels a read once I get further along in studying Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Omnicrom posted:

I could just :emptyquote: and leave it at that. Since I'm not I'll just go on to say I think it probably would have been possible to cover all this material in a better way. I'm going to be blunt and say I think the pacing is off, it's too slow in bits that needed to be faster and moves too quickly through bits that should have been expanded on. I know it's been said a couple of times that a chunk of the background and world detail was left behind in the adaptation, and I can honestly say I believe that. It felt a little bit too slight, and I feel like the main conflict of the third arc felt like it wasn't framed quite right. The last-minute explanation of why Anis is so self-conscious about her title makes sense, but it feels like this should have been something alluded to earlier.

This is definitely a show where the dream of the show extends beyond the reality of the show and cases like that are always frustrating, yet also fascinating. I don't get the sense there's going to be another season of this, but if there is I'll definitely check it out.

Absolutely felt similarly, this was well-put.