Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MassRafTer posted:

https://twitter.com/laparktapia/status/1615567941034033153

Here's a tribute that I think speaks to the incredible range of opponents and match styles they've had classics with. Them showing up during The Summer of Park was incredible and this match is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1EzaPDorGE

I've seen so many Briscoes matches live. The Boston Street Fight is one of the craziest matches I've seen in my life, live or on tape. The 2/3 falls matches in 2007 were all so fun. They faced Claudio and Sydal in a match that loving ruled so much and has been totally forgotten. They had a mind blowing tag with Rush and Dragon Lee in 2019 when everyone had forgotten about ROH. Their singles matches against each other were almost always amazing. (Their worst ROH singles match was merely "very good.") Jay's bloodbath vs Joe needs to be seen to be believed. One of the coolest moments I've had after a wrestling show was fist bumping both guys after a bloody Steel Cage Warfare match and just being all fired up even after a 5 hour show. They were both always super nice to me or my friends and there's lots of funny stories about them after shows. As I write this I keep thinking about great matches they've had that are forgotten. Vs AJ Styles and Sydal at the 100th show. Vs Joe and Styles at The Conclusion. The matches vs Aries and Strong. Their matches in NOAH. A career of incredible matches and some of the best promos.

https://twitter.com/trillmoregirls/status/1615569022183145474

Just unreal, he was my age, his birthday was next week.

Jay was an under-rated bleeder, between the Joe match & the image burned into my brain from the debut of Age of the Fall, with Jay raised upside down while Jimmy Jacobs stood directly below him, in a white suit gradually turning red with Jay's blood dripping on him. Absolutely loving insane, I still remember reading about it as it happened almost on forums, people were absolutely horrified by it all.

And as loathe as I am to say anything nice about Cornette, him recommending the Briscoes use Gimme Back My Bullets for entrance music was a masterstroke, a song that just perfectly captured them.

Jay was so great from so early on in his career, but when they returned from their hiatus in 2006 after Mark's(?) bike accident they really developed as characters & became some of the great indie promo guys. "Terry Funk ain't wear no god dang mouth piece". Even after I'd kind of moved away from following ROH, when their promos got uploaded it was worth watching, because they were real in a way few promos are.

Honestly too drat many matches to list off. There's stuff like Final Battle '06 with the Kings of Wrestling which is lost because that show was all about Homicide, but it's great. When ROH went to England in '07 there's a terrific Tag Title match with Naruki Doi & Shingo, there's a show in Osaka EDION Arena #2 where they defended the belts against Shingo & Susumu Yokosuka, Final Battle 2007 against Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black, there's a match in 2007 against the Murder/Motor City Machine Guns from Cabana's (then) last ROH show that was tremendous. And then a decade later they are doing a terrific Ladder War with SCU & The Bucks. There was a great match with MaruKen at Glory By Honor V, 2017 they went to Germany had a great match with Walter & Timothy Thatcher, 2015 at a Global Wars show you had a 10 man tag, Bullet Club of AJ, Good Brothers & Bucks against War Machine, Briscoes & Roddy that is so easy to overlook but really good pro wrestling. And that's just a fraction. They had a great match in '03 with AJ & Red, there was the battles they had with each other. I dunno, it's hard to think of ROH without thinking of the Briscoes. They were just always there, from the first show until the most recent one.

Only going to post a link to one match, but it feels an appropriate one. Jay vs Mark, 2005, some show in a bar's parking lot in a small town in Delaware near their home. This was when they were on hiatus, I think because they had gone to college to play football if I remember my ROH history. And so 10 months after their last match in ROH they turn up in shorts & trainers after a weekend of hard partying & basically just ask to have a short match. And they precede to beat the tar out of each other like only brothers or best friends can get away with. It's kind of reminiscent of Joe vs Necro Butcher but with a shooting star press from the top rope to the gravel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU