Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I can't say anything that hasn't been said, this is devastating.

What I can emphasize in my post here is that everyone who loves wrestling who doesn't know of the body of work of The Briscoes -- now is the time to show them. I had no idea who they were until maybe a year and a half ago and they became my favorite tag team, ever, period, very quickly.

Their presentation is completely genuine, wild, crazy, funny, and entertaining all at once -- seeing promos of Jay screaming threats into the camera while Mark changes the oil on his truck or eats something in the background and then jumping back into frame when he gets riled up again is a joy.

And in terms of their matches, they respect and cherish everything that I would hope wrestlers to do so for in wrestling. I've commented on their matches with FTR specifically but in all of their matches, what makes them, in my mind, the best tag team I've ever watched, is that they do not need bell or whistles or overbooking or to water down finishing moves for the sake of easy booking. They do near-falls the right way, both by them and by their opponents in this sense. They protect finishing moves and their match sequences are extremely visually telling. They are masters of the fundamentals of cutting down the ring and preventing hot tags against opponents. They always have an element of wild unpredictability and emotional surges which make their matches so well laid-out.

Every time I see them it feels like they are completely going to war with who they're fighting, and I've never seen a match of theirs that under-delivered. I really wish they had gotten to be more prominent on a bigger wrestling stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU