Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

After uh, "Finishing" Yakuza 0 (We're still playing the post game stuff), we're moving on to Kiwami because Grace literally couldn't stand not knowing what happens next any longer.

No Spoilers. I've played this before but this is all new to Grace, and if you spoil any twists for him I'll break your legs.

Yeah this OP is pretty boring, I'm sober but I really want to get this thread up because we already have a huge backlog, this game is so goddamn fun

:siren:Episodes!:siren:

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 1 - Are We Enemies Or Are We Friends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I really enjoyed the first Kiwami game after Yakuza 0, it felt like more of just about everything I wanted more of.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Are you going through the whole giant series? Don't get me wrong. Some of them are good games, but that's an endeavor .

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

cant cook creole bream posted:

Are you going through the whole giant series? Don't get me wrong. Some of them are good games, but that's an endeavor .

We haven't commit to anything specific, but I DO really like punching people

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I like to watch you punching people. But I am still looking forward to FFX-2. :(

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Shinji going from his yakuza-mugging Y0 self to this is... well, it's a function of him being in Y1 first, of course, but also like there's a genuine issue with the yakuza getting romanticized by characters like Kiryu and a few other historical yakuza who have some mild "folk hero" sort of status. Like this perception of being the good kind of yakuza, Robin Hoods instead of common bandits, where they're keeping out the people who would really exploit residents and shopkeepers, or are able to address stuff the cops can't - like cleaning up the loan shark here. Even though more realistically they'd be the loan sharks and only taking out that guy to keep their cut. So Kiryu's unintentionally insulated Shinji from the worst poo poo because of his somewhat higher standards, making the whole thing look better to the kid than it is.

I don't have the source to hand but I recall hearing something around when Y0 came to PC that apparently real yakuza are pretty fond of these games, because like gangster movies do in the West, they make it look super glamorous. The big drama, the good times with lots of money, and our lead characters taking a stand for slightly-higher-than-buried-underground standards are what sticks with people.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
There's this review where someone sat down to play Yakuza 3 with some actual yakuza: http://boingboing.net/2010/08/10/yakuza-3-review.html

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That article is likely bullshit, I believe that author has a history of just making poo poo up.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Kind of a shame, because I want to believe in a world where someone had to make introductions to organized crime members to explain that someone wants to play a video game with them.

Anyway, looking forward to more punching-based tales of adventure, and increasingly-irrelevant one-liners yelled over Heat moves.

IT'S ARBOR DAY

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

disposablewords posted:

Shinji going from his yakuza-mugging Y0 self to this is... well, it's a function of him being in Y1 first, of course, but also like there's a genuine issue with the yakuza getting romanticized by characters like Kiryu and a few other historical yakuza who have some mild "folk hero" sort of status. Like this perception of being the good kind of yakuza, Robin Hoods instead of common bandits, where they're keeping out the people who would really exploit residents and shopkeepers, or are able to address stuff the cops can't - like cleaning up the loan shark here. Even though more realistically they'd be the loan sharks and only taking out that guy to keep their cut. So Kiryu's unintentionally insulated Shinji from the worst poo poo because of his somewhat higher standards, making the whole thing look better to the kid than it is.

I said this in the Y0 thread but Kiryu himself might be a shining paragon of virtue but he's still in deep with a criminal orginisation who are well known for loan sharking, extortion, human trafficking and more.

The Yakuza are NOT good people!

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

C'MON SOMETHING AWFUL LETS GET SICK'NIIIIIING
:siren:New Episode:siren:

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 2 - Kiwami Bob

dan got probated for correct opinions so i'm posting the episodes now

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Japan has had very low inflation in the period after the real-estate bubble burst (only about 12% total from 1988 to 2005), so Kiryu would've gotten a pretty similar return on boofing it if he still could.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Does this game involve making kitchen knives out of unconventional materials?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Sadly we're not that powerful of a dad yet :negative: Maybe in a game or two.

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 3 - Not Paying For This

Fun fact, Yuya's mouth was that big in the PS2 version too, dude's just got hella chompers

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That whole mourning band sequence reeks of early 00s game design, just wander around, talk to NPCs in the hope you hit the trigger to advance things.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Just Winging It posted:

That whole mourning band sequence reeks of early 00s game design, just wander around, talk to NPCs in the hope you hit the trigger to advance things.

You'll be saying this a lot as the LP progresses, Kiwami might be a full remake but the old PS2 bones are still present.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah there's a lot of parts of the game they kept really accurate to the PS2 version when they really... didn't have to :cripes:

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 4 - Bit Of A Chonkler

I still distinctly remember Yakuza on PS2 not quite clicking with me until this running fight out of Tojo HQ, at which point I became and stayed a die hard Yakuza fan. It was in the courtyard where I downed three dudes simultaneously by swinging a lantern at them and my eyes opened. I don't remember most of my childhood for numerous reasons but I'm glad I kept that memory :unsmith:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 5 - I Love Violence!

Sadly dog petting technology was still in it's infancy on PS2, maybe in the later games

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I'm somewhat surprised she's not Yumi's kid. Not dangling the possibilities and implications of who the father is (Dojima?) over the players head and all that.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Grace talking about punching while carrying Haruka reminded me of this Dwarf Fortress post:

Xand_Man posted:

All my old fortress screenshots are on non-functioning computers so instead I will share my favorite unintended feature

1) Dwarven women would not voluntarily put their babies down, and will go about whatever tasks they were doing while still holding the baby, including combat
2) Babies were (are still?) completely indestructible.
1+2= Babies made surprisingly good melee weapons

I imagine a proud Dwarf parent talking about how little Urist killed his first goblin today and you just know Mom did most of it

and then I started picturing Kiryu swinging the little girl around and beating people to technically-not-death with her.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Just Winging It posted:

I'm somewhat surprised she's not Yumi's kid. Not dangling the possibilities and implications of who the father is (Dojima?) over the players head and all that.

Yeah, she's just the daughter of Yumi's previously unknown identical twin sister and nobody has ever seen the two of them in the same place.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 6 - No Wonder He Went Jonkler

Nishiki has uh, a rough go of things

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Going back an episode or so, I think Serena is able to run like it does mostly because Nishiki has become a family boss, or maybe some other significant members of the Tojo Clan have also gotten into it. (It is almost right across the street from the old Kazama Family offices.) So I'm guessing the place is pretty much permanently reserved and Reina's patrons pay all the bills to keep it semi-private.

Or maybe Reina's actually really well-off and it's become a hobby business of hers. Which could be neat, but I suspect it's still more of a literal patronage situation.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

One thing Kiwami added were the between chapter scenes showing what Nishki went through during Kiryu's jail time.

The original didn't provide any real context for his sudden Jonklering.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Judge Tesla posted:

One thing Kiwami added were the between chapter scenes showing what Nishki went through during Kiryu's jail time.

The original didn't provide any real context for his sudden Jonklering.

In a pre-release article, it notes "Kazuhiro Nakatani, the voice actor behind Akira Nishikiyama, commented on the script regarding Nishikiyama’s change: “It was so rough, I didn’t want to see the script for a while.”"

So uh, a happy ending might be tough to get :ohdear:

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 7 - This Door's Too Big

It's okay I guess, but it's no "boat docking with a glass tube and elevatoring you down to an arena" stupid cool,

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 8 - Second Worst Date

Hell yeah arena fights :black101:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Nishki's decent into the Jonklerman continues, he has it rough.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 9 - My Boy

:kyonbo:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

It's Mesuking time baby! Collect those cards of girls in very skimpy insect outfits.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

God, I'm glad Dan just walked the gently caress away back to the photo booth. Someone looked at the catfight arena of Y0 and decided to make it somehow even more uncomfortable.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Judge Tesla posted:

It's Mesuking time baby! Collect those cards of girls in very skimpy insect outfits.

Mesuking is such a weird loving minigame, both it and the catfight arena of Yakuza 0 had super janky mechanics and they were also just so, y'know, skeevy. I wonder if Mesuking was based off an actual real game that existed in Japan at some point.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 10 - Dame Da Ne

I genuinely didn't know you could blow it at karaoke so hard that you don't get the imagine spot :cripes:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

That's the first time I've seen that big a karaoke fail so on a positive note its new content for most people watching.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Judge Tesla posted:

That's the first time I've seen that big a karaoke fail so on a positive note its new content for most people watching.

This is going into the book of grudges

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

PurpleXVI posted:

Mesuking is such a weird loving minigame, both it and the catfight arena of Yakuza 0 had super janky mechanics and they were also just so, y'know, skeevy. I wonder if Mesuking was based off an actual real game that existed in Japan at some point.

It is based off a game called Mushiking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Uu3enn-Ao

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 11 - Time For You To Go Fast

I guess dumb teens are dumb teens no matter who they are

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I seemed more like a sheriff's star to me than a magen David, but it's not entirely clear.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

About the goatse tangent, I was thinking if you combined him with Kirby then he could suck people into his rear end from a distance whenever bent over,

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 12 - That's Actually What He Looks Like

Date you are REALLY underperforming so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That's indeed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinichi_Shinohara. Notable judoka and absolute unit of a guy. Don't know why he's in this game, but hey.