Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Equality win: this guy who's made a living out of profiting off all sorts of unsavory and hosed up poo poo is respecting your pronouns while kicking your rear end.

(It really puzzles me why they decided to put that detail about Yoko in there, early 00s video game writing and trans people does not bode well.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Just Winging It posted:

Equality win: this guy who's made a living out of profiting off all sorts of unsavory and hosed up poo poo is respecting your pronouns while kicking your rear end.

(It really puzzles me why they decided to put that detail about Yoko in there, early 00s video game writing and trans people does not bode well.)

I think the Yoko stuff was added in Kiwami, so that explains why it's nicer than... some of the other stuff

:siren:New Episode:siren:

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 28 - Kiwami THIS

Turns out a sword to the gut also interrupts their healing cycle

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Danaru posted:

Turns out a sword to the gut also interrupts their healing cycle

A method I became very fond of using, myself.

Between these LPs and getting back into the series myself (mostly to try not to get outpaced too hard by the LPs), it's interesting to me how Y0 has left so many people with this view of Kiryu as a mighty dumbass, when that's actually more like... Kiryu's just barely out of his teens and is still a hotheaded kid. Because he's a lot smarter and more mellow in the, y'know, six other games about him, he's just understated about his intelligence and still also very determined and straightforward.

I'm on Y3 and, to speak as generally as possible to avoid spoilers, his attitude is very much a man who realizes he is an adult and has responsibilities, but his morality requires him to do the right thing by people even knowing very well it means wading through poo poo (and other people's broken teeth) to do it. He's very conscious of what his life is. He's a very stoic and understated sort of guy, though, so his character development isn't stark and immediately obvious. Y3's opening is slow as hell but we also need to see this about him.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 29 - Everyday's Kyonbo

When you're done watching the episode, this is thread canon

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Majima really doesn't like to share his boyfriend with the other kids does he?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 30 - Here Comes The Slappies

When you're done the episode, I want you to know you DID see the final frame of that fight correctly. I am so sorry, Majima

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Can't wait until you get to destroy Shimano's enormous rear end like Majima's pp.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I'm sorry to say that Kiryu is a known and unrepentant dick-puncher. One of his basic combos that comes up in at least some games is like... light-light-heavy to crouch and uppercut into a dude's junk. I'm pretty sure it's in at least Kiwami 2, definitely in 3, can't remember clearly if it's in Y0 or YK1 and if so what style it's in. I still haven't gotten to check any further in the series yet.

It's real good when someone is being an annoying prick to fight but you can still land a few hits.

I regret none of the dick-punches I've given Majima across the series so far.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Man. All the times you used ”ARBOR DAY???!” as a joke one-liner early in zero, and then now, when you finally hit a dude with a tree, nothing.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I also wouldn't argue with a guy who punches a marble statue into rubble like it's nothing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 31 - Hanase!

The song is Pray Me, but the loop that plays during the fight is only a short part of it :negative:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

That's that then, I would say that Kazama went out too soon but like you need to raise the stakes somehow in a crime drama.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Danaru posted:

The song is Pray Me, but the loop that plays during the fight is only a short part of it :negative:

This might be what you were looking for then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igBFPu-jGD8

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 7, 2023

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Wiseblood posted:

This might be what you were looking for then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igBFPu-jGD8

:cripes: Well poo poo

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 32 - He Invented The Tax

Majima please my dad's dead

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Refractory period really isn't in Majima's vocabulary is it?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 33 - Alligator And Wombat

Hope y'all are ready to see some poo poo

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Jingu is one of those endgame gauntlet fights that exists to just piss you off, it won't be the last time in the series we see this.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Grace is extremely correct about the Jingu fight and its bullshit. I got real sick of it and decided it was time to ram my best weapons into everyone's kidneys.

Sleeping Dogs, which I absolutely loved, also had a similar problem with guns. Only it dives into gunplay way earlier than YK does in an equivalent place in its main plot. So much of the cool fist-fighting suddenly turns into "apply bullet directly to enemy forehead." And it's okay gunplay, but also I was there to revoke guys' knee and arm privileges instead of shooting them.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 34 - Who Needs Ten Billion Yen?

:smith:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

"This is your new mom, Pocket Circuit Fighter."

This series is so good, though it does have genuine Issues with women. Yumi absolutely should've been a Y0 staple, but they already had their damsel in distress quota met.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Let me say this again, Haruka is just a tiny Kiryu, nothing at all phases her for long.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 35 - My Daughter Needs Beef Bowl

"Hey can I have a Staminan Emperor?"
"Those are pretty expensive"
"I bet it would help with the memory of watching my mom die in front of--"
"Alright, alright, let's get your staminan,"

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
If Kazuma "Never kills anyone" Kiryu hadn't been such a little bitch and finished the job with Shimano and Jingu, both crime papa and Yumi would still be alive, so he has something to make up for to Haruka.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Just Winging It posted:

If Kazuma "Never kills anyone" Kiryu hadn't been such a little bitch and finished the job with Shimano and Jingu, both crime papa and Yumi would still be alive, so he has something to make up for to Haruka.

But he wouldn't be a noble idealised hero if he killed.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Got curious and looked it up, and Yumi was still in school (and probably thus still at the orphanage) during Y0. Nishiki apparently mentions it to Reina but man I do not remember that at all. Still strange that she and Nishiki's sister are complete non-entities in Y0, but oh well.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 36 - Oichi-Kabu

Haruka please

Haruka

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 37 - Oops!

I don't think that's how you were supposed to beat that subquest

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 38 - I Can't Stay Mad At You

Haruka is extremely discerning about roulette

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Why is this child so loving into gambling?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Haruka just occasionally gets possessed by the devs and demands you go experience their wide variety of delights.

Gods loving save me from her desire to see me fail at golf in later games.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

Why is this child so loving into gambling?

You WILL do the side activities, you WILL not ignore them.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
What puzzles me most is why now, after the main plot is done? I'd figure you'd want to sprinkle all these side-activities in while you go through the plot, not as a firehose after you beat the game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 39 - 2005 Sucks

Alright we left Haruka with Dat... with Kashiwagi before she starts demanding I learn Baccarat.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Kiryu making the exact face one makes on hearing as dumb a story as "they took my stuff and put it in the UFO Catcher"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 40 - They?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

No, sorry, Grace is extremely wrong and a four-hour episode would be great.

How to bowling: hit pins with ball. Hit more pins for more better score.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

The only confusing bit about scoring in bowling is that if you get a spare, that frame adds your next ball's score, and if you get a strike, it adds the next two balls' scores. So if you get a spare, and then a strike, that first frame is scored 20. If you get a strike, and then gently caress up and your next frame is 1 and 3, the first frame is scored 14. If you get all strikes, every frame ends up being worth 30. That's also why you bowl more times if your last frame is a strike/spare.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 41 - If He Killed Us, We'd Be Dead

It's gotta really suck to be Nishida, poor bastard

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami Episode 42 - Help The Poopin' Man

Sorry for the delay, we finished the Yakuza 0 thread! Then I worked a bunch of morning shifts and really hosed up my internal clock so I forgot to upload stuff again

Also thank you for the avatar, I was considering a change but this is way better than any of my ideas :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Danaru posted:

Also thank you for the avatar, I was considering a change but this is way better than any of my ideas :v:

You're welcome! Felt like I needed to use that Kiryu face for something. The character beneath is just "nani" if you weren't already aware.