Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Did you guys see this poo poo, apparently freshwater fish are all hella full of forever chemicals and eating one serving of fresh water fish is the same as drinking dirty water for a month and I guess yo uh shouldn't eat fresh water fish anymore because that sounds hella hosed up but idk I probably will still eat fresh water fish will you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

yeah and I'm real sad about it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Shut up coward

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Aw dangit I'm sorry nooner that was too much

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
this sucks rear end, trout is tasty and now i probably won't eat it again

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i think its LAME

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Yeah we hosed the fish up good. You can still probably eat fish from farms though. Welp nm that.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 21, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Sophy Wackles posted:

Yeah we hosed the fish up good. You can still probably eat fish from farms though.

just pullem out the ground! simple!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Sophy Wackles posted:

Yeah we hosed the fish up good. You can still probably eat fish from farms though.
Farmed fish are going to be at least as bad, and probably worse.

All the water is poisoned from pfas because it’s in the rainwater, globally. Also, the farmed fish are being fed from ag products grown in poison soil with poison water, or in the case of salmon, krill and poo poo to really get that bioaccumulation going. They’ve got a lot more problems than just the pfas.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 20, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Commercial fish are actually way better

quote:

In its 2022 survey of seafood, the FDA found much lower levels of PFAS in seafood from grocery stores. The median levels of total PFAS detected by the EPA were 280 times higher [in caught freshwater fish] than levels in commercially sold fish tested by the FDA.
https://www.ewg.org/news-insights/news-release/2023/01/ewg-study-eating-one-freshwater-fish-equals-month-drinking

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

The difference is that those are ocean fish. The ocean has lower concentrations than freshwater. That has nothing to do with being commercial or not. There’s no reason to think fish grown commercially in freshwater is magically better, when the fresh water in the farms is contaminated just like any other water. It’s not like they filter out the pfas, that’s not a thing.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i'll eat all kinds of garbage

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Did you know swedish fish aren't even from Sweden? They are from loving Canada what the hell

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
swedish fish are TRASH

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

cat botherer posted:

All the water is poisoned from pfas because it’s in the rainwater, globally. Also, the farmed fish are being fed from ag products grown in poison soil with poison water, or in the case of salmon, krill and poo poo to really get that bioaccumulation going. They’ve got a lot more problems than just the pfas.

Yeah just looked this up, for some reason I thought they were safer, :negative:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That's cool, it means I can cut out fish entirely and eat twice as much cow.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

verbal enema posted:

swedish fish are TRASH

Take that Canadars.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Wait, is Sweden the poor man's Canada or is Canada the poor man's Sweden?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Sophy Wackles posted:

Yeah just looked this up, for some reason I thought they were safer, :negative:
The best thing to do is just to not think about any of this.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

cat botherer posted:

The difference is that those are ocean fish. The ocean has lower concentrations than freshwater. That has nothing to do with being commercial or not. There’s no reason to think fish grown commercially in freshwater is magically better, when the fresh water in the farms is contaminated just like any other water. It’s not like they filter out the pfas, that’s not a thing.
When it says commercial fish are much better, that category includes saltwater and freshwater, farmed and wild-caught, canned and frozen -- anything that gets sold at the grocery store.

Here's the FDA's 2022 test results for commercial seafood. On p. 3, tilapia is an example of a farmed freshwater fish with lower PFA levels than home-caught freshwater fish. On the other hand, clams, despite being saltwater, are hosed.

If you have any evidence to back up your claim that farmed fish have higher levels of PFAs than home-caught freshwater fish, please post it.

e: caught your edit -- PFA filters are far from perfect but they do exist. Some are ineffective or even counterproductive, but some work

quote:

Reverse osmosis filters and two-stage filters reduced PFAS levels, including GenX, by 94% or more in water, though the small number of two-stage filters tested necessitates further testing to determine why they performed so well.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 21, 2023

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I think about the amount of times I smoked weed off of a crushed aluminum can back in highschool as I swallow another mouthful of plastic fish

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Anne Whateley posted:

When it says commercial fish are much better, that category includes saltwater and freshwater, farmed and wild-caught, canned and frozen -- anything that gets sold at the grocery store.

Here's the FDA's 2022 test results for commercial seafood. On p. 3, tilapia is an example of a farmed freshwater fish with lower PFA levels than home-caught freshwater fish. On the other hand, clams, despite being saltwater, are hosed.

If you have any evidence to back up your claim that farmed fish have higher levels of PFAs than home-caught freshwater fish, please post it.

e: caught your edit -- PFA filters are far from perfect but they do exist. Some are ineffective or even counterproductive, but some work
Tilapia are quite low on the food chain, so it’s an apples-to-oranges comparison with e.g. trout. Clams are from shallow coastal waters, subject to runoff. Even more importantly, they are filter feeders, so it makes no sense to compare them to fish. Shellfish have all kinds of garbage, especially heavy metals like cadmium. What’s the mechanism for farmed fish water having lower pfas than other freshwater?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

mother Gaia will fix herself when she feels certain we've left her no other choice

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

verbal enema posted:

swedish fish are TRASH

Alright alright now we are just going to CHILL THE HECK OUT with this CRAZY CONSPIRACY bullshit. :tinfoil:

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Fish

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

cat botherer posted:

Tilapia are quite low on the food chain, so it’s an apples-to-oranges comparison with e.g. trout Clams are from shallow coastal waters, subject to runoff. Even more importantly, they are filter feeders, so it makes no sense to compare them to fish. Shellfish have all kinds of garbage, especially heavy metals like cadmium.
Right, my point is it's not as simple as saltwater = better, freshwater = worse. Nor is it as simple as farmed = worse.

quote:

What’s the mechanism for farmed fish water having lower pfas than other freshwater?
Filtering in commercial aquaculture, both freshwater and saltwater, is presumably why commercial fish have lower PFAs

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

bone

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
save on 3d printing costs by loading up fish into the spool

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
It’s not difficult to eat around the things you don’t like. If anything more metals and plastic is a good thing because then it’s even easier for you to avoid.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Just another great reason not to eat seafood which is universally gross dogshit

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

cat botherer posted:

If all the water is poisoned, might as well eat the poisoned fish as well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Edible dental dams

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Re6pZri8Gw

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

this and the 'all rainwater across the entire planet is toxic now' story has got me feeling really good lately.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

my cat already tries to eat plastic so he will weather this challenge just fine :coal:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

flubber nuts posted:

this and the 'all rainwater across the entire planet is toxic now' story has got me feeling really good lately.

Give it another decade and the concept of "rain" will be a thing of the past

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Everything is full of plastic, the only thing safe to eat are pre 1900 mummies.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

EorayMel posted:

Give it another decade and the concept of "rain" will be a thing of the past

bill gates gonna make us all drink toilet water :sigh:

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

flubber nuts posted:

also thanks to all the pollution in the US, backyard gardens and chicken coops have ridiculous levels of contaminants, which is great news when the rest of industrial agriculture is starting to roll down the 'hosed by climate change' slope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i thought this was gonna be a clammy thread from the title