Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

So Promathia wants to eat all of the Emptiness so it can die itself? Won't kicking their rear end just give them what they want, in that case?

So, even after the most recent buttkicking, he still doesn't have all of the Emptiness present in the beings currently living on Vana'diel, just that which was sealed away inside the palace, so it's not quite the "full force" mentioned in this last update. It's why he's trying to get down there as of the moment, he'd need to make it out of the capital in order to start gathering up the rest of it properly beyond mind controlling a bunch of Meteor-happy kids. As for what happens if you try to kill a god while he doesn't have all the death sucked up, gotta wait an update to see that sure!

Edit: Oh yeah, seeing as it's my first time properly posting in the thread, also just posting some thanks for running through this stuff as an LP. I've already played through myself here in any case, but it's still very handy for folks who may be interested in the story content without needing to kill crabs for hours on end.

Arc Impulse fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fat and Useless posted:

Prishe climbs out of the void and chucks the Star of Tavnazia into Promathia's face. The Star is Magicite, all of Prishe's Emptiness save for the chunk on her chest where the Star broke off. Throwing Emptiness at the God who does love him some Emptiness is a terrible idea, however for some reason the Star starts sucking out Promathia's Emptiness like it was sucking it out of Prishe during her accident.

So on the "for some reason" part here, this is probably more to do with how Magicite forms for the most part. General overview is that it seems to turn up when light from the crystals ends up crystallizing into a solid form (sometimes alongside Emptiness), which is why you find the three chunks from the nation missions below broken sections of the Crystal Line, as well as the Star of Tavnazia being the result of all that Emptiness in Prishe getting snapped off after being exposed to the light from inside that one Zilart box. Considering that things happened here by Prishe chucking the Magicite and it being speared by Selh'teus's lance of light, that's likely what started off the crystallization process for Promathia for that brief moment. I'll spoiler this next bit here as while it's not a spoiler at this point, it is out of game stuff, in case it becomes part of a future post: Dissidia 012 also has this as part of the EX move for Prishe, "Five Lights", where she shoots five balls of light at her opponent and follows up by spearing them with the Star of Tavnazia, which only sorta explodes over in that game instead.

Also, 100% agreed on the spoilers bit in this post that I'm not even quoting in case people accidentally hover over it.

Obligatum VII posted:

What I'm a little confused about is what got Promathia in this state to begin with. Originally it was implied the Zilart caused the problem with trying to open the Gate but from other stuff the whole reason the world was fragmented to begin with was to keep Promathia from attempting to continue his suicide attempt? Or was Promathia actually totally fine before the Zilart ruined everything.

Like, what's the exact timeline here?

Yeah, some of the ancient timeline stuff is a bit wonky alright, since I don't think there's any specific timeline to things in terms of years (at least not in English anyways). I don't know for sure if the Zilart were about pre-shattering of the original Mothercrystal or not, but it ultimately matters very little in the long run quite honestly, beyond their being one of the big pre-Meltdown races and one capable of working towards returning to "Paradise".

The last main post covers most of it, but to note on Eald'narche in particular: considering events taking place with Prishe in this expansion, you can now probably take a fairly educated guess into why he ended up with a chunk of crystalized mass around his eye, and not aging a day after having that appear. Depending on the Emptiness situation at the time, there's a non-zero chance that the entire Gate of the Gods plan could have been kicked off by Promathia coming into contact with the Zilart prince via the crystal and pulling that same trick with twisting and amplifying desires, using that to try and have the world reunited/destroyed seeing as that was one of the reasons for his being unable to die in the first place. Especially if that was the case and it can potentially affect an entire empathically connected race with just the one pull.

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the first time I heard this was on the Black Mages releases, but it's such a nice end to the expansion when you see it in context. Also yeah, free Rajas Ring is nice too, it pulls a lot of weight even by 99 so it's a super handy reward (though I can't speak for "back in the day" purposes here considering when I started)

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, prior to 99 when a bud and I were duo'ing a lot of these expansions at a lower level cap, those elemental staves were a godsend for him being able to keep an avatar up longer.

Fat and Useless posted:

Will I make a REMAP? If I hate myself enough I'll make a Relic from Treasures of Aht Urhgan. Edit: I hate myself enough
oof, best of luck on that point at the very least, though at least it'll be good stuff for whatever job you do it for.

Fat and Useless posted:

If a piece is a usable piece of equipment, like you click it and it spits out bullets, it needs to be in your real inventory to work. How bad is it for me? As of the middle of Chains both my wardrobes are full and I keep my rings in my inventory, about 20 of them. Edit: I bought a 3rd tab...

So on this one, I don't play any ranged jobs which have those ammo belts to confirm how it is for those items in particular, but it's not always the case! If you have an equippable item which has an on-use effect (eg, Warp Ring, any of the Experience/Capacity rings, etc), if it's in one of your Mog Wardrobes or something, so long as you have it equipped it can be activated from the menu you get by highlighting yourself or a party member and going to "Items" there. The option to use it won't be in the usual Items submenu from the actual main menus, but the ability to use it or not could also differ for something that adds items to your inventory I'll admit, I've not tried with one of those stashed.

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bregor posted:

These tracks own bones. OST continues to deliver. I have Awakening on a Spotify playlist and it still gives me chills whenever it comes up.

Can doubly agree here, these and one of the other expansion endboss tracks we've not hit yet are some of the real good ones I'd listen to outside of the game.

PurpleXVI posted:

Actually, for context, are any parts of FFXI instanced or is it all open world stuff where John Fantasy420 can walk in and gently caress around in the middle of your story mission?

To follow up on what was already posted, yeah, boss fight rooms are the main combat areas which are "instanced" outside of specific reservation-based combat content like Dynamis would be. I believe that there's multiple copies of those boss rooms physically set up within each such zone in general that players get shifted to in order to try and avoid bottlenecks, instead of the more modern "shift everyone to an instance" setup for dungeons/trials/etc, but someone more knowledgeable on the guts of the game can chime in on that to confirm sure,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bregor posted:

Something I've been wondering about the cardians' speech -- is this like Fujin/Raijin in FF8 situation where they are trying to approximate an odd or archaic speech pattern into English? Or is this just a "beep boop robot talk funny" thing?

Fat and Useless posted:

I have no idea what Koji Fox was doing with the speech.

Tate(?)★Yoro...... Tsuji★Keanore★OK? Shigu★t(t)e Ki★masu =becomes= NeED★RdM? PLeaSe sENd★teLL!

Please note I can barely read some hiragana much less katakana. Someone else could probably explain any of this but it looks like the Japanese version of joining a group where you start by saying please take care of me.

Yup, tons of katakana, I was thinking this was probably the case. Yeah, this is the same sorta situation here Bregor, it's being used for a speech pattern thing. Katakana is an alphabet only really used for stuff like loanwords or other names which aren't Japanese in origin to put it simply, normal Japanese text would be composed of kanji and hiragana, so actual Japanese sentences being composed of all katakana would be an oddity. Like even typing fully in hiragana itself isn't the norm, and also probably harder than normal Japanese to boot since it'll introduce a bit of uncertainty in reading things. I think a lot of robotic characters get that kinda text style for lines and I'm pretty sure a lot of the time it gets turned into things like ALLCAPS TEXT, Or Just Weird Formatting In General, to help set it apart from other speech due to the quirk. The stars are probably just that being made extra quirky then on top of that.