Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Hey it's an XI SSLP!

I just want to tell you, good luck. We're all counting on you.

Fat and Useless posted:

Maybe you are just reading this for the schadenfreude.

What is it called when it's basically schadenfreude but it's also somewhat directed back at yourself? I'm sure the Germans have a snappy word for that too. I ended up re-subbing during the pandemmer and my interest waned only a few months ago. It really is incredible how much of the content can be done solo now. Good job, SE!

Fat and Useless posted:

No, Training necessary!

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Xerophyte posted:

I haven't played since mid 2004 but back in my day we didn't have these fancy-schmancy third party tools. We printed out -- printing being necessary because FF11 prevented alt tab unless you ran Windower -- this skill chain chart

then found some chain that made sense for our current party and level and then timed our weapon skills and spells manually, like God intended.

Part of the fun in re-subbing was using random jobs together in our low-man strategies. I definitely used this chart to great effect until I got all the right add-ons that just told me what to do next

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Oh, so it's not just a clever name!

Zeid owns. It'll be interesting to see a lot of these stories intertwine with the newer content. Also yeah the job unlock quests can be a real kick in the rubies.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

Does it glow with true darkness?

I choose to believe it burns with hope.

I loved (almost) all of the Artifact quests. During my original run they were fun and challenging in the 50-60 range, and even coming back at 99 I enjoyed the little stories that went along with them. The thing that kept me playing back in the day was that XI has so much heart.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Playing red light, green light with a cat or something equally silly, no doubt.

Huh, you can use trusts in Maat now? That's nice. Let me tell you about Red Mage Maat... ha ha ha...

The missions for that expansion were so clearly divided between the interesting ones, and the ones with that loving cat...

And yeah, beating RDM Maat back in the day was really fun. PLD was my first job but I wouldn't let myself level RDM past 69 until I beat him. I think it took me three or four tries, getting certain elemental staves, and copious amounts of potions/ethers. I had a buddy who tried it 30+ times because he insisted on meleeing and kept eating Asuran Fists...

Bregor
May 31, 2013

This poor Galka just can't stop getting shanked by Humes, but at least he's got a shot at finally being at peace :unsmith:

RoZ is a great expansion, when considering content and story together I think it's my second favorite. Also the endgame (for level 75) stuff in those zones is how I spent most of my time back in the original release.

Also liking the Sandy missions, my two characters were Bastok and Windy and I never went back and changed nations so it's all new to me.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

lmao, I am immensely amused that they actually made it take more of the smaller races to weigh down pressure plates. It's that sort of absurd minor detail that tells you that, whatever issues this game might have had, some of the people worked on it really were doing their best.

Much like so many things with the early development of this game, it's a feature that makes sense from a narrative or world-building sense, but is kind of a dick move to the players. A lot of these crucial landmarks are "off the map" for example and we haven't even gotten close to Adoulin yet :getin:

Seemed like bias against Tarus back when RoZ was released, but they always have lots of friends because Tarus are the best.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I think the Merit/Job Point systems are where the FFXI UI really shows its age. It's... just a bunch of text. No icons, no tree, just somewhat obtuse descriptions that you'll have to go look up on a wiki to decide how to optimize your Job. And the triple stars over your head at 2100 Job Points are ugly as gently caress. But somehow it all fits with the vibe of XI, where shiny toys and enjoyable UX where secondary to intricate strategy, comically low drop rates, and so much grind I'm surprised Eric Nies isn't in the credits.

Fat and Useless posted:

Merit points are also used to buy Hard Battlefield starters. It's Party or Raid combat against a story boss fight for strong gear and materials. Most of the time you either want very good trusts and good gear yourself or real party members. There are multiple difficulties, better drop rates the harder it is.

I want to highlight this, because when I came back to the game this was still the main avenue for getting some BiS gear for multiple Jobs I played. Most of the High-Tier Battlefields can be solo'd with Trusts on Easy or Normal, but some are a real pain in the dick, and guess which one I needed to do about 400 times on Very Easy just to get 5/5 of an armor set I needed... :smithicide:

PurpleXVI posted:

Also I'm glad I never played FFXI, I feel like all this character-building and ticking all the boxes would have utterly consumed my every waking moment.

I think the true mindfuck of XI is you can get to 99/2100/ML50 on twenty-two Jobs. Think of all the BiS gear, the macro books, the Job-specific quests, and the literal millions of crabs, crawlers, and frogs you'd murder to get there. By the end of my two-year return to Vana'diel I was mostly playing four or five Jobs on my main and two on my alt, and it still felt all-consuming to keep doing content for upgrades.

Pyro Jack posted:

All this talk about fighting crabs regardless of levels reminds me of this meme that I always found funny.

Heh, I've never seen that before, that's awesome.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

God I loving love this place.

Third best place in the game. That low poly version is kinda funny, though.

It's my favorite endgame zone I think. I like other expansions more for overall content, but this region just has the coolest vibes.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

Boy do I feel defeated. I did a good deed though. I think. And technically I got a dark secret. Whatever. Forget the church I have other things to do. Important things. Like throwing this clown suit away.

So even vanilla XI had a bunch of hooded cloaks that take up both the body and head armor slots, and they look pretty decent.

And then they have garbage like this, where they stick a dumb looking cap on you, put a little tan-colored flap on the neck part, and pretend it's a hooded cloak. Don't get me started on the THF AF set...

Bear in mind, White Mage artifact armor is supposed to look like:

Thank goodness the later expansions had better attempts at decent looking armor sets.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

:siren::siren::siren: CLICK THIS loving LINK RIGHT NOW :siren::siren::siren:

FFXI OST is so good. Of course, there are a ton of tracks from the main game and each expansion, so a lot of it is like hunting with a shotgun -- you're gonna get some hits. But when they really nail a moment or a zone with a fantastic track, it's amazing. Some of them still give me goosebumps.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

fight the invisible thing

:yeshaha:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Hey, you killed the secret invisibile thing! :black101:

The worst part about blood aggro is, based on your gear sets, swapping to an idle or defensive set will jack up your max HP to the point where even if you've taken only modest damage up until that point you will still be at yellow (below 50%) HP after swapping. So you'll end up accidentally being somewhere, fighting things relatively safely, then switch to a gear set that sends a bunch of skeletons or ghosts to you right quick. This used to happen to me a ton in an endgame zone we haven't seen yet, especially on COR where my melee or ranged attack sets had far less max HP than my idle set. :argh:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

Transparency is important and I feel everyone should know I died to a crab. To be fair it was an endgame crab and like 6 of them got pulled. I'm sorry. I apologize.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Let's Play! > Let's Play Final Fantasy 11 --- Visaria 2225, Crabs 1

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Divine Might owns. Our preferred way to deal with it back in the day was the tried and true 12+ BLMs time nuking -agas :science:

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Divine Might is such an amazing fight. The primary strategy back in its heyday was to pull everything into the long tunnel leading to the arena, because Ark Angel TT can't actually leave the arena, possibly due to his flying movement. The rest would be "supertanked", which is a weird tank technique that exploits the aggro system.

FFXI's aggro system consists of two parts; CE and VE. CE is Constant Enmity, and it never decreases over time. VE is Volatile Enmity and it decreases over time or by taking damage from the monster. Whichever player has the highest combined CE and VE is the aggro target. If you cast a healing spell on a target who has CE or VE from an enemy, you gain CE and VE from that enemy too, so healers can take aggro by bombing people with heals too much.

But there's the rub: if. You know what grants zero CE or VE? A monster aggroing you. So a tank can run in, have all the Ark Angels aggro to him, and take exactly zero actions against any of them (self buffs are fine). Thus generating zero enmity. And with zero enmity, a small squadron of healers can fling as many high powered healing spells at him as they like with no chance of pulling aggro at all. And from there the rest of the alliance can peel off one Ark Angel at a time and drag them to the other end of the murder hallway and, well, murder them in sequence. At the end everyone piles into the middle and beats Ark Angel TT to death.

A fully buffed PLD or RUN can supertank just about any situation where there are multiple mobs you need to gather, outside of the really heavy hitters of endgame content, or if there are copious amounts of buff removals/enfeebs that you need to deal with. Back in the level 75 cap days, it was much harder because there just wasn't enough Damage Taken -% gear available (hi2u Terra's Staff) but post-119 literally every job now has access to a wide assortment of gear options.

The other weird thing about enmity is that is caps, and it's not just some astronomical level for extreme edge cases. Capping enmity is very possible in a lot of longer endgame fights where a boss would have tons of HP to grind down, and there are very few ways to lose significant amounts of enmity mid-fight (other than getting KO'd). In fact Visaria's baby dragon friend is handy for this as DRG is one of the only jobs that can regularly shed a significant amount of enmity.

Bregor fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 15, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

I will explain Mog Garden for those wondering what a Mog Garden is in about... At the rate of updates... 400-500 days.

Please look forward to it.

:doit:

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Surely red legs aren't outdated? Or did they somehow improve on them?

There are new and improved red legs! Plus a nice array of other movement speed items now. Most jobs have 18% movement speed at 119, with a few dumb exceptions (SAM I think is stuck at 12%, DNC needs to do some really dumb outdated content for 18%, I'm sure I'm forgetting some)

OR

You can choose to get a movement speed ring at the end of a future expansion that all jobs can wear, and miss out on some other really unique and useful rings in the process. Sometimes XI just can't get out of its own way.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I really like this track. There are a ton of missions/quests with zany and nonsensical plot points, and this song is playing during all of them. Basically if you hear the first notes of this song, prepare for bullshit.

Melomane Mallet posted:

I am 99.9% certain Apururu is a lady.

Correct. Taru names are pretty easy, if there's a "—" in the middle, like Koru-Moru, they're a he. If not, like Shantotto or Apururu, they're a she.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

When the quests have "please come back later"-moments. Is that just so you CAN take a break or is there actual a realtime break needed before you can continue them?

Many of them actually make you wait a pre-determined amount of time. During vanilla it could be one real-life day (the flag would change after Japan midnight) or even a real-life week for some gear upgrades and the like. But with more recent QoL improvements over the years it's usually pared down to one in-game day.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

Savage Blade: Also hits like a truck but it is easier to get than CDC, based off str and mnd

I am quoting this for once we get to creating certain weapons, and possibly certain endgame content :getin:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

I don't have the willpower or gil to make an Empyrean as much as I'd love to Rudra spam. The thread is going to get some pulses and maybe a mythic if you are good.

I do have walk recorded though. I'll probably just make one update for each weapon series and the train wreck involved.

Oh I was talking about Naegling, the People's REMA and then using it to great effect for Bumba

And after doing one of each I'd much rather do another Empy than another Mythic but I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't mind Abyssea (and also had NIN leveled)

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

I waited to do this until I had 119 gear and still it came to this.

Anyway I managed to resummon my trusts out of combat without her despawning and beat her.

The first time I tried this, I wasn't so lucky :ohdear:

Fat and Useless posted:

And what makes charm a real fucker is there is no barcharm or barlight

Ah, but there is Light Carol! (Once again BRD does something literally no other job can do)

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

2. I have never played Bard and never will. Until I have to do the quest. Same goes for Beast.

I played BRD back in the 75-cap years. Colibri camp BRD was fun. Endgame event BRD was not.

When I came back, I thought I might start it up again. Then my friends told me you need 4 REMAs to properly do BRD and that was the end of that chapter.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Oh yeah this is a Final Fantasy game :v:

"You must think the royal family pitiful"

Brother, you have no idea!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

How the hell did he get up there? The middle of the city! Full of knights! Middle of the day!

Silent Oil/Prism Powder :v:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

So final thoughts on Zilart. This is really just the second half of the base game. It's that simple really, everything set up in the base game is wrapped up here and the story could just stop and be fine. Quality-wise the story isn't anything amazing but for a MMO during this time period, hot drat. Chains will build off Zilart a bit but after that the expansions are pretty much contained to themselves. Chains is also when the story starts to pick up into something I'd label as a proper Final Fantasy story.

100% agree here. Vanilla/RoZ is the classic XI experience. I never played early WoW, but the way people talked about it at the time, it's very much the Burning Crusade of this collection. As for the story, there is a LOT of text to get through, and you're often doing the next mission or quest days (or sometimes weeks) after the previous one and it's a lot to keep straight. Which is why SSLPs like this are so great! It really helps sum up the story so far. There is an in-game device for seeing old cutscenes, but it's not exhaustive, and sometimes you need to go to a bunch of zones if you want to see them in order. That said, RoZ's story is very good IMO, and CoP is even better. Can't wait!

Fat and Useless posted:

Bastok: This deals with the president and his daughter, the Mythril Musketeers, the new Talekeeper, Zeid, racism, legacies(various), and the Shadow Lord.

Yeah pretty much, with an emphasis on the racism. I mean, it's a multi-racial fantasy universe, of course the humans (oh sorry, Humes) will be objectively awful.

PurpleXVI posted:

Norg is an eternally funny name.

Probably some guy's name. Some guy named Norg.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

SIGSEGV posted:

It's a really nice brooch / pendant / jeweled thing at least, and is likely entirely unrelated to the explosion as well.

Yes that is a nice Dreamstone pendant totally not-plot-important piece of jewelry you have there, kid :v:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I don't think The Changes were for the better personally, but then I enjoy danger and suffering. That's why I played this game, after all.

I loved how long S-E let people languish and suffer without making it easier to complete CoP. It felt like a real accomplishment to be in the endgame zones or walking around Jeuno with CoP gear. The Changes were necessary for the way the game evolved, but I'll always have the memories of grinding the poo poo out of CoP and ToAU stuff while chatting with friends on Ventrilo.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Hahaha. Look, at least it's not Cure spells doing tens of thousands of damage to undead. That happened once.

No joke, they should do this again, maybe just tweaked down a bit. WHM self-Light SC with bursting Cures would make the job actually interesting.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

The CoP OST owns. It has such a distinct feel that matches so well with the zones. All the music will be pro clicks in the CoP updates.

Oh man, this track used to fill me with such dread... almost like... and emptiness... :v:

Fat and Useless posted:

Let's have a quick talk about another thing. All of Chains used to be level restricted and there were no trusts. So all this we've been through used to be level 30 with other people needed. In addition you could weaken these bosses by doing a quest to make an item from drops in the area. We don't need to do that! Huzzah!

This is underselling it quite a bit. To beat these mission fights, you'd need six players who knew exactly what to do and how to play their jobs. Face-tanking it with a PLD or a WAR was a pain due to the status ailments they would inflict, and NIN tanking was very hard since at 30-cap you didn't have Ustusemi: Ni. These were definitely situations where you'd get the special items to weaken them (sometimes multiple ones since the fights could drag) and it could still go off the rails if you didn't have the right balance of damage and healing/support. Or you'd just get a few SMNs to Astral Flow these fuckers into oblivion :science:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Or you can just nuke it while it runs around hysterically thanks to Terroanima. Everyone can hold one, and it lasts 30 seconds, so you can just make the boss do nothing for 3 minutes by chaining them.

Yup, that was a good one, although I remember using it to mostly reset if poo poo hit the fan, or if WHMs/SMNs needed to pop an ether or something. I would NIN tank it and use the other two, which would cause 100% intimidation (basically paralyze) on either normal attacks or TP moves.

This is just the tip of the iceberg though. CoP has a lot of mission fights that were legitimately hard, and I can't wait until Visaria gets there :getin:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Here we go! I absolutely love this track. When I beat the Promys way back when and was transported to this weird island, exploring new zones, checking new mobs, listening to this song... man that was awesome. Definitely one of my favorite moments in the entire game.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

Oddly enough at least one of the mini expansions has a best or near best in slot I think.

I think two of the minis have some BiS gear for some very situational poo poo, like BST and PUP pet tanking and some JA activation cooldowns. They are very short and only mildly annoying so I did them all.

Also yes, Prishe is the best.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

leo_pointing.jpg

Seriously, CoP is the best. Nag'molada is a prick but I understand his motivations. I also love this badass bitch who shows up with a fleet of airships. This is a Final Fantasy game, after all :v:

Mr. Vile posted:

a wonderful post

So much of this is why I loved XI back in the day. Leveling was a harrowing experience, especially in those in-between levels when crab camps weren't good. Pulling Torama or Goddess help you a Manticore in Labyrinth of Onzozo was a freakin' grind, man. And not just for the time commitment. You had to be on point as a tank or a healer, and DDs had better bring stacks of sushi or they weren't hitting poo poo. But you also had time between cooldowns to /party or /linkshell chat and shoot the poo poo with people. I made some great friends in this game, a few I still talk to over 13 years after I quit the first time. :3:

For all its wonderful elements, CoP didn't do much in terms of great exp camps. I had limited success in Bibiki Bay, but by and large the areas were mission or endgame relevant rather than helping you get to 75. When we get to the next expansion, leveling got quicker, but not necessarily easier.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

boop

Also I love Tenzen! He's a pretty typical samurai but he's also very endearing. CoP is so good, y'all.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

:yeshaha:

I used to climb that dumb thing all the time for a battlefield key item. Remembering which Miasma are permanent and which are not is the key to keeping your sanity :shepicide:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

Next time: That's hell you're walking into

:doit:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Omen music rules, but I had trouble finding it on YouTube or Spotify. Does the track have a different title?

PurpleXVI posted:

Is the course you took through Parradamo Tor just the optimal route or the only route?

This is literally the only way up the mountain. It's awful. All those X's are things that maybe could look like a path but just drop your rear end down the side of the rock, and there's no in-game distinction between the passable and permanent Miasma. Whoever thought this was good game design should spend eternity pushing a boulder up a similarly dickish mountain themselves.

I'm actually impressed Visaria kept the camera facing forward most of the time, I usually ran head-first into the cliffside and inch along just so I don't fall down.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Another good CoP track.

Also aside from the Mammett fight I feel like Visaria isn't cracking nearly enough skulls in these missions recently.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

Mini Tuning Fork: Your level is capped at 20 and you are alone with only Carbuncle. You also only have 15 minutes to beat it. Level 20 Summoner is not impressive and level 10 of any Sub Job may as well not exist. So how do you deal with this? You build a good set of level 20 gear and try not to run out of MP. Each avatar has an element and each day has an element so ideally you fight on a day the element is weak against and never on the day of the element when the avatar is going to do extra damage to you. The reward is just being able to summon the avatar.

This is how I got all my celestial avatars back in the day -- I didn't want to bug my friends to do six of these fights, and it was an interesting challenge! Usually you could pick the right day to go (Shiva on Firesday, etc), throw Carby out there, use Astral Flow and a Refresh drink, and use Searing Light three times to win. One of them resisted though and after AF ran out I had to have Carby melee it down while popping Ethers and casting Banish until it died.

Fat and Useless posted:

Also you can pick locks in this as a thief. It's not great!

I had a good friend who was so disappointed in the Steal/lockpicking rewards that he quit the game, came back, and quit again. There just ain't no money in thievin' these days.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I did it the "safe" way and summoned, sicced Carby, ran to the entrance, resummoned when he died, ran back to the crystal, rinse repeat until about 80%, then nuked. I had the Carby Mitts though, a good friend took me through the rigmarole to get them.

I had the Mitts too, I was running a social/sky LS at the time and we took plenty of people to get random things -- Carby Mitts, Reverend Mail, Soboro, etc. etc. So even though I pretty much only ran PLD RDM or BRD I would have a ton of random stuff in my Mog House. I think I was just too impatient and wanted to Astral Flow them right quick. The worst part was trying to hit Searing Light when you hadn't refreshed up to 40MP :v:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

I have a solution now though. I'll bring him to around 55% with staff attacks and Fenrir auto attacks then I'll Blast him for the last 55% bypassing Nightmare.

For reference he has like 11000 health. This probably would have been easier if I didn't use Fenrir.

I love solutions like this. In the Level 75-cap days it was "get out of Nightmare range, or bring a legion of healers, or just eat poo poo". Now it's simply waiting a bit longer before your doggo murders it. In fact if I remember right, Nightmare has a massive range so I'm not even sure you could avoid it.

PurpleXVI posted:

I love that Diabolos just grabs someone out of their dreams and goes "GIVE THIS LETTER TO THE ADVENTURER, YOU KNOW THE ONE" like loving Freddy Krueger.

Yeah it's pretty rad. Diabolos owns. I've always liked the design too, from back in the FF VIII days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

Tavnazia is actually very pretty. I wonder what it was like before it exploded.

I've said this before but I absolutely love the Lufaise/Miseraux zones, how they look, the music, everything. It's a shame they didn't have good exp camps back in the day cos it would've made leveling much more enjoyable.

I'm also going to hold off on commenting on the Taru trio until later in CoP.