Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
THE AWARD-WINNING BIG-BUDGET SPECTACULAR RETURNS FOR THE 2023 THEATER SEASON, FOR

F O U R ( I S H ) - ~ - N I G H T S - ~ - O N L Y!!!
code:
  .g8"""bgd  `7MM"""YMM  `7MN.   `7MF'      .g8"""bgd   .g8""8q.   `7MN.   `7MF'
.dP'     `M    MM    `7    MMN.    M      .dP'     `M .dP'    `YM.   MMN.    M  
dM'       `    MM   d      M YMb   M      dM'       ` dM'      `MM   M YMb   M  
MM             MMmmMM      M  `MN. M      MM          MM        MM   M  `MN. M  
MM.    `7MMF'  MM   Y  ,   M   `MM.M      MM.         MM.      ,MP   M   `MM.M  
`Mb.     MM    MM     ,M   M     YMM      `Mb.     ,' `Mb.    ,dP'   M     YMM  
  `"bmmmdPY  .JMMmmmmMMM .JML.    YM        `"bmmmd'    `"bmmd"'   .JML.    YM  
GEN CON INDY: THE BEST FOUR DAYS IN ANGRILY POSTING ONLINE ABOUT HOW YOU AND EVERYONE YOU KNOW ARE NOT ATTENDING THIS YEAR DUE TO THE DRACONIAN VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS

Making this thread is one of my favorite uses for the Internet every year, even as it becomes increasingly clear that really we do lots of our talking on the year-round EDITED AGAIN TO UPDATE LINK Gen-Con Goons Discord group (just post to annoy me if this link stops working) that you should totally join if you have not yet. Especially if you basically do not use Discord, given that I logged onto it like once every few weeks until this group really got rolling.

Assuming that everyone reading this is familiar with Gen-Con is A MISTAKE, as I learn every year when someone surprisingly pops into the thread as a first-time attendee to say thanks for the information and the nonsense and, presumably, the warm welcome! Last year's Shots Wednesday felt like the biggest gathering of Goons I have been seen anywhere but a literal GoonCon, and if we did not make it so clear here that we really are overwhelmingly polite and welcoming that might not have been possible! Hooray!

But I am out of energy already, just gonna let ChatGPT handle it from here

Hmm that was entirely too generic, I bet we can do better

Oh no. Yeah, I am definitely no longer needed

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= WHAT IS GEN CON, DR. QUAREX??? =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Formally known as the BEST FOUR DAYS OF GAMING, but really the BEST FIVE DAYS OF RELIABLE JOY IN THIS INSANE WORLD. Indianapolis becomes the closest thing there is to a Gaming City from about Tuesday night to Monday morning that one week every year, and you absolutely owe it to yourself to attend if you can.

You really will find nearly any game you are into playing here, if you look hard enough. I am not going to pretend every system you have ever heard of is being run, but there is a good chance if you ran a game nobody had played in 30 years that you would still get a full table of players willing to give Homebrew Rambo 1991 or whatever a shot. poo poo I just learned about crokinole a few years back when someone was randomly running a world championship tournament for it! Gen Con is the purest and grandest celebration of gaming, gaming ephemera, and the GAMING LIFESTYLE that you are ever going to find.

Then comes the turn: and I basically never even have time for gaming because there is so much else going on. The Auction and its amazing plethora of great deals on nerd goods old and new(ish) has slowly occupied more of my time at the convention since 2003, when I went from making fun of people who spent all their time bidding on horse racing boardgames, to now when I would be downright delighted if a horse racing boardgame popped up (it helps that I realized in the interim that horse racing boardgames represent 0.01% of the total stock and I just happened to walk in at a very bad time in 2003).

:siren: BUT FIRST A BREAK FOR THE SPOILERS! :siren:

Here are some of the many things our experts can confirm, despite their occurrence at Gen-Con 2009, will not be occurring for you at Gen-Con 2023

Conversely, you are guaranteed to experience the following recurrent events from Gen-Con 2009:

* Bij

OH but yeah like, there are so many side quests happening outside the ticketed gaming events that are ostensibly the biggest draw alongside the Exhibit Hall. Oh, the Exhibit Hall; yeah, after a brief downturn in size in 2021 it is already back to its 2019 juggernaut enormity, where you virtually cannot see one end of the hall from the other, and it would probably take you an entire day or more if you genuinely wanted to look at the stuff every booth was selling.

And there are many more attention-grabbing events to discuss, as there are absolutely people who vouch for attending in large part for watching the Cosplay Parade or competitions, participatory ridiculousness like Dub That Hentai, professional advice in Author's Avenue, the inspired trash-to-temple building aesthetic of Cardhalla, the absurdity of hearing everyone near you at a restaurant talking about their character, the sheer terror of being chased down the street by a mob yelling at you about their character, or even just the pure party vibe* exemplified by the perpetual Georgia Street food-trucks-and-alcohol corridor right next to the convention center.

*That said, I have been to Dragon Con now, and I appreciate Gen-Con is basically a church lock-in compared to Dragon Con's authentic recreation of Saturnalia.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

In this vaguely reservedish post in case somehow there is anything relevant to put here later, here are all the previous iterations of this, or similar, threads:

Archives needed:
Gen Con Indy 2003 Forgotten Goon Meets Thread: Whydirt Kicks Us Off! Also mentions a deleted? previous thread from that year; can moderators see those threads?: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=278795452
Gen Con Indy 2003 Thread Attempt~ #1: Please Sir, Please Help Me Obtain A Hotel Room
Gen Con Indy 2003 Thread Attempt #2: Hero Lab Seriously Existed In 2003?
Gen Con Indy 2004 Thread Attempt #1: Rhandhali Tries
Gen Con Indy 2004 Thread Attempt #2: A Second Rhandhali Post Has Hit The Forums
Gen Con Indy 2004: Actually Just A Thread About An NPR Story On Gen Con
Gen Con SO CAL(!) 2004: This Does Not Mean It Was Real!
Gen Con Indy 2005 Thread Attempt #1: Space Pope, Over And Out
Gen Con Indy 2005 Computer Game Interview Request Thread In Games Proper: Ends With A Milwaukeean's Lament
Gen Con Indy 2005 Thread Attempt #2: Three. Posts.
Gen Con Indy 2005: ANOTHER Goon Meets thread I missed before!
Gen Con Indy 2006: Vaguely Resembling A Successful Thread
Gen Con Indy 2007, Kind Of: Quarex Seeks to Understand the Differences Between Gen Con, Origins, and DragonCon Like Some Pathetic Churl
Gen Con Indy 2007, Kind Of, Redux: Seorin Wants Spoilers
Gen Con Indy 2008: Truly The Saddest Official Thread Ever
Gen Con Paris 2009: Did Not Actually Happen
Gen Con Indy 2009: Perhaps The Third-Saddest Official Thread
Gen Con Indy 2010 Thread Attempt #1: Title Mocking Indiana, Thread Bad
Gen Con Indy 2010 Thread Attempt #2: Title Also Mocking Indiana, Thread Also Bad; Coincidence?
Gen Con Indy 2011 Just Posts About A D&D Tournament There, Really
Gen Con Indy 2012: Indianapolis Utterly Destroyed By Great Chicago Fire of 1871
Gen Con Indy 2013: Gen Con Relocates To Villedor For Better Downtown Hotel Coverage

Archives no longer needed:
Gen Con Indy 2014: The Final Chapter
Gen Con Indy 2015 and Gen Con 2015 Part Two: 2016: The Final Chapter
Gen Con Indy 2017: Celebrating 50 Glorious Years Of Final Chapters
Gen Con Indy 2018: Gen Con Indy Final: The Chapter
Gen Con Indy 2019: Includes a brief history of Gen Con in the first post, if you are into that kind of thing
Gen Con Indy 2020: The Less Said The Better
Gen Con Indy 2021: No Auction Means No Memories
Gen Con Indy 2022: Yes Auction Means Yes Memories!

So topical!

Every convention advice section seems of dubious use these days; I mean, they are still fun to think about, but if anything you want to bring as little as possible to a convention in my opinion. If you have whatever chargers and medicine you need for whatever devices and maladies plague you, you are basically set already. I do still want to throw out the general advice list for things not everybody necessarily thinks through:

• You will probably end up walking at least 5 miles a day at the convention. If you are not used to walking, oh boy, this will suck. I still remember my feet feeling like they were on fire by Sunday my first year.
  • It gets less pertinent every year, but BRINGING CASH will still potentially save you some money, especially if you buy things from the Auction or any of the other few vendors where they add credit card fees to the total if you pay with cards. Plus even in the era of Venmo, CashApp, and Cocainestr it is sometimes hugely helpful to be able to toss your share of the cost of dinner down and run to your next event
  • Also your cards may well be locked for fraud when you purchase things from vendors located on three different parts of the country in a span of ten minutes, so you might need to tell them you are travelling.
  • Some variant of the 5/3/1 or 6/2/1 or whatever rule, where you have to sleep 5/6 hours, eat 2/3 meals, and take 1/1 showers every day in order to stay sane and keep those around you sane. I usually skip lunch and just stuff myself with granola bars to avoid spending 90 minutes in line at a food truck missing valuable Exhibit Hall time though
  • If you are the kind of person who ever gets cold in air-conditioned spaces, you will need to be prepared for that. During the day it is usually pretty temperate in the convention center, but both at hotels and in the evenings when the herds thin out and the air conditioning can actually keep up, it can indeed be a little cold.

THAT WILL DO IT FOR ME THIS YEAR EVERYBODY!

If you have any questions about how things are likely to go, obviously ask them here or in the Discord and probably I will leap over myself to answer them as quickly as humanly possible. And thanks as always to Torrent for the thread title collaboration; I think we might already be hot on the trail of 2024's at this point

Badges go on sale at this link THIS SATURDAY, JANUARY 29, at :siren: NOON EASTERN, 11 A.M. CENTRAL! :siren:
PRESUMABLY :siren: 10 MOUNTAIN AND 9 PACIFIC! :siren:
I HAVE A FRIEND IN ALASKA NAMED FRANCESCA, I THINK IT WILL BE LIKE 4 A.M. THERE FOR HER, I SHOULD CHECK!
ACTUALLY YOU KNOW I HAVE ONLY TALKED TO HER A FEW TIMES THIS YEAR, I REALLY SHOULD TRY HARDER TO STAY IN TOUCH WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT JUST ON THE GEN-CON DISCORD.
THE IMPORTANT THING FOR FRIENDSHIP IS TO MAKE A REAL AND HONEST EFFORT, YOU KNOW?
WHAT ELSE CAN WE TRULY DO IN LIFE BESIDES BE KIND TO THOSE WHO WE LOVE AND ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO BE THE BEST THEY CAN BE? SERIOUSLY.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I'm going to try my damnedest to not miss this year's convention season.

GENCONNNNNNN

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Shotz. Wednesday.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So how good is Gencon for Warhammer 40k and kill team? I might end up going to england for warhammer fest but america is a very rare trip for me so if I end up going I want to make it include one gaming convention for fun.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Frozen Peach posted:

I'm going to try my damnedest to not miss this year's convention season.

GENCONNNNNNN
YOU CAN DO IT

GEN-CONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Eastmabl posted:

Shotz. Wednesday.
That is true. Shots Wednesday.

(Goons gather at the Rathskeller, a delightful German restaurant, the Wednesday night of the convention at like 5-6. The Rathskeller is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. At Shots Wednesday you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the Shots Wednesday motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with friends.)

Al-Saqr posted:

So how good is Gencon for Warhammer 40k and kill team? I might end up going to england for warhammer fest but america is a very rare trip for me so if I end up going I want to make it include one gaming convention for fun.
Please do not take my never-played-Warhammer-40K answer too seriously but Games Workshop actually started formally attending again for the first time in decades a few years back, so I assume their presence has significantly beefed up as a result? We would certainly be honored to host the great Barnae Al-Sandars amongst our group.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Al-Saqr posted:

Here are all the official events from GW last year and it looks like there were a few non-official Apocalypse and skirmish games.

https://gencon.eventdb.us/groupCompany.php?Group=Games+Workshop

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Dr. Quarex posted:

We would certainly be honored to host the great Barnae Al-Sandars amongst our group.

THE IMPERIAL PEOPLE. ARE TIRED. OF SLAANESHI WOMEN.

lol thanks dude, most likely not this year but I'll see if I can make it the next year. :)

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

A couple of pics!

Lincoln!

The last time you'll likely see the hall this empty.

Ticket to ride but big.

Cultural artifacts on display at the 50th anniversary recreation of Gen Con 1.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How much are tickets to the old people buffet featured in the OP?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
So excited for Gen Con!

I will also use this post to pump up the project I did for Gen Con's 50th anniversary. If you are interested in Gen Con history at all check it out. It has a bunch of interviews I did with Gen Con attendees, all of the program covers for the first 50 years, and most importantly a database you can search with every Gen Con event that has ever happened in it!

http://best50yearsingaming.com/

I hope Lou Zocchi makes it out this year to the Gamescience booth. It was a sad booth in 2022 without him being there, and they had a lot less old product and in particular a lot fewer pointy dice.

Very excited for this year. I have been an exhibitor since 2018, but am not doing that this year so I will be attending more like a normal person again this year. I should even have time for some more goon functions for once!

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Last year started me on a path to a Magic habit. Now, my friends and I are doing a draft in preparation for the All Will Be One pre-release. The five of us who game at my house are all going.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I'll be there with Magic cards and a Kill Team. Looking forward to games and drinks and spending too much money. I cannot say for certain how much time I will have to ditch my Hoosier friends for Goon friends but it'll happen more than once.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

WerrWaaa posted:

I'll be there with Magic cards and a Kill Team. Looking forward to games and drinks and spending too much money. I cannot say for certain how much time I will have to ditch my Hoosier friends for Goon friends but it'll happen more than once.

drat you ain't playing around.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Scrolling down your OP, when I got to the part about "these are things from old Gen Con that will be back" I was expecting pictures of people passed out on floors.

To anyone new, that's another fun game of the con, finding people who just couldn't go forward anymore. (It doesn't really count if they're in a chair or something; they gotta be just like face down on the floor.)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How much are tickets to the old people buffet featured in the OP?
I did not anticipate questions about that so unfortunately I must inform you the cost of entry to that buffet is your grandmother dying during Gen-Con 2009. Granted that is not too high a price to pay retroactively if your grandmother died between 2010 and 2023.

nesbit37 posted:

http://best50yearsingaming.com/

I hope Lou Zocchi makes it out this year to the Gamescience booth. It was a sad booth in 2022 without him being there, and they had a lot less old product and in particular a lot fewer pointy dice.

Very excited for this year. I have been an exhibitor since 2018, but am not doing that this year so I will be attending more like a normal person again this year. I should even have time for some more goon functions for once!
HELL YEAH Nesbit37 returning to action! It is hilarious to think you were the first Goon I actually met as a result of an intentional effort to meet people at Gen-Con, and that was only like ten years ago. And who knows who I would have met first if we had not somehow missed the table of 15 Goons on the other side of Colts Grille for the first hour (R.I.P.)

Agreed that I hope Lou makes it one more time, even though I cannot stress enough how shocked I am that he is still alive given how much he had seemingly gone downhill by Gen-Con 2019 when I last saw him. Though I did hear I had just missed him at Gary Con 2022, so clearly he recovered at least a bit from his low point in 2021. As name-dropping-Mudcrab-Merchant again mentioned, it is shocking someone in frail health can survive the hot-as-an-oven vendor setup day given even young people sometimes nearly or actually pass out

Back to you enjoying the convention, I anticipate you in a monocle and your Auction bidder card taped to an ornate auction paddle at the crème de la crème session. Oh my god I just realized I absolutely have to buy a bunch of auction paddles to hand out to people at Shots Wednesday this year, thanks for the idea me. You are welcome, me! Ugh, me is really overrated, but do not tell me me said that.

CellBlock posted:

Scrolling down your OP, when I got to the part about "these are things from old Gen Con that will be back" I was expecting pictures of people passed out on floors.

To anyone new, that's another fun game of the con, finding people who just couldn't go forward anymore. (It doesn't really count if they're in a chair or something; they gotta be just like face down on the floor.)
The champion photo example being the one ... Mudcrab Merchant? took?, and of course by this I mean BOTTOM LINER

WerrWaaa posted:

I did like your Hoosier friends but yes I got so accustomed to spending time with you 24/7 at Origins that it was SUCH A SHOCK that you barely existed at Gen-Con. Not that I could claim I was any more available really

Also 8one6 how old is the Abraham Lincoln picture? I know that is RUSTY BAWLS, and I have not seen him for ages there, but that does not mean too much given how often I am sequestered for most of the day at the Auction. Though I just Goog'd his name and one of the first results was someone on the Gen-Con Forums in 2017 asking why he had not been back for years, so yeah probably just died of stilt-related causes

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 25, 2023

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a chance I have to go to EVO again this year, which overlaps with Gen Con but I'm hopeful that won't happen. No Gen Con for me last year was sad for a lot of reasons, and I want to get back to it!

My friend group is all still really said Paizo pulled PACG play, but I think this year I might just pack up my own box and we can grab a free area to play every morning for a few hours to start the day.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also 8one6 how old is the Abraham Lincoln picture? I know that is RUSTY BAWLS, and I have not seen him for ages there, but that does not mean too much given how often I am sequestered for most of the day at the Auction. Though I just Goog'd his name and one of the first results was someone on the Gen-Con Forums in 2017 asking why he had not been back for years, so yeah probably just died of stilt-related causes

2007 I think.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Dr. Quarex posted:

The champion photo example being the one ... Mudcrab Merchant? took?

Wow. Friendship ended buddy.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Back to you enjoying the convention, I anticipate you in a monocle and your Auction bidder card taped to an ornate auction paddle at the crème de la crème session. Oh my god I just realized I absolutely have to buy a bunch of auction paddles to hand out to people at Shots Wednesday this year, thanks for the idea me. You are welcome, me! Ugh, me is really overrated, but do not tell me me said that.

I can’t imagine showing up to an auction dressed like Mr. Monopoly would be a good bidding strategy. I mean, on one hand people might look at you and assume you are going to win whatever you want so why bother bid against you. But on the other hand people might just bid you up because they can. I reminded of that guppy guy I saw at Game Hole Con this year.

That said I definitely want to spend some good time in the auction this year. We’ll have to see what my collecting goals are around Gen Con time this year. Last year I succeeded in getting a copy of every game Guidon Games put out. I already have everything but some of the rarest of rares for OD&D, basic D&D and AD&D. Maybe I should go threw Appelcine’s books again and focus on some of those smaller companies stuff.

I think the things I would be most excited about gathering this year are zines, but I don’t know how often those come up in the auctions. I would also want large runs of the zines and just an issue or two out of the whole series, so who knows.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
2022 was supposed to be my first Gen Con, but I got COVID a couple of days beforehand. Maybe this year...

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Bottom Liner posted:

Wow. Friendship ended buddy.
As soon as I posted that I was like "O.K. this is not right but now I cannot remember which of two people took it I will just let chaos sort this out"

(I probably could have checked in a previous thread, too; just shoddy work overall by me)

nesbit37 posted:

I can’t imagine showing up to an auction dressed like Mr. Monopoly would be a good bidding strategy. I mean, on one hand people might look at you and assume you are going to win whatever you want so why bother bid against you. But on the other hand people might just bid you up because they can. I reminded of that guppy guy I saw at Game Hole Con this year.

That said I definitely want to spend some good time in the auction this year. We’ll have to see what my collecting goals are around Gen Con time this year. Last year I succeeded in getting a copy of every game Guidon Games put out. I already have everything but some of the rarest of rares for OD&D, basic D&D and AD&D. Maybe I should go threw Appelcine’s books again and focus on some of those smaller companies stuff.

I think the things I would be most excited about gathering this year are zines, but I don’t know how often those come up in the auctions. I would also want large runs of the zines and just an issue or two out of the whole series, so who knows.
Maybe if I show up dressed as Mr. Monopoly instead that will put everyone at ease, knowing the items are in good hands

Zines have been fairly consistent over the years in my recollection, but not necessarily in a terribly exciting way; like, a handful of cool intriguing stuff in the collector's section and a handful of 'zines nobody has ever heard of in the RPG section. But of course every year has weird trends with the less-common items, so you just never know when somebody will show up looking to unload their entire collection.

Your having everything Guidon Games put out sounds amazing, so clearly you should yeah as you say work on finding new categories of older rare stuff in the less-absurdly-valuable areas to collect. I wonder if Hasbro trying to tank D&D as a brand will result in any changes to collector prices for the old stuff? Probably not.

Cithen posted:

2022 was supposed to be my first Gen Con, but I got COVID a couple of days beforehand. Maybe this year...
Are you in THE DISCORD??? I do not think I remember us pouring out a sympathy beverage for anyone. Definitely hope you can make it this year!!! WE HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Maybe if I show up dressed as Mr. Monopoly instead that will put everyone at ease, knowing the items are in good hands

Zines have been fairly consistent over the years in my recollection, but not necessarily in a terribly exciting way; like, a handful of cool intriguing stuff in the collector's section and a handful of 'zines nobody has ever heard of in the RPG section. But of course every year has weird trends with the less-common items, so you just never know when somebody will show up looking to unload their entire collection.

Your Mr. Monopoly stratagem seems sound. I think you should move forward with that.

Good to hear about zines. What I don’t want is to end up with 1 or 2 issues of 30 different zines. I would much rather have large runs of a few of them than scattered issues of a bunch. We’ll see what happens, I don’t know exactly how much time I’ll end up dedicating to the auction this year. I love the auction but I don’t want to sit in it from open to close each day, that’s just too much plus I only have so much luggage space. At least I know there are some must skip categories like the family and commercial games time slot.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I think ... I ... want ... to sit in it from open to close each day, that’s ... much plus .... At least I ... must ... like ... games....
Good point, I feel the same way.

Anyone have any suggestions for a rectangular (horizontal) image that has Gen Con Vibes(tm) without being covered by intellectual property laws?

Indianapolis' skyline is not really distinctive enough to work in my opinion (apologies to the thousands of Indianapolis locals reading this)

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I am partial to this pic of the exhibitors floor from 1987:

Someone, whoever took the original photo (a Barbara Young), owns the copyright. It was taken by a fan not someone for TSR or some other company. So I guess it depends what you are concerned about. Is this for a facebook group or something?

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Dr. Quarex posted:

Are you in THE DISCORD??? I do not think I remember us pouring out a sympathy beverage for anyone. Definitely hope you can make it this year!!! WE HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU

I was/am, but I don't remember sharing it at the time.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I am partial to this pic of the exhibitors floor from 1987:

Someone, whoever took the original photo (a Barbara Young), owns the copyright. It was taken by a fan not someone for TSR or some other company. So I guess it depends what you are concerned about. Is this for a facebook group or something?
Well that is fantastic but no, it is for printing on a physical object, so that would definitely not be a great choice, even though it is a magnificent picture. I should have been clearer, though I am quite glad to have this photo in my life so I am glad I was not clearer until just now

Cithen posted:

I was/am, but I don't remember sharing it at the time.
Fair enough. Well we will save a spot for you at Shots Wednesday! In the sense that they have just given up and started giving us the entire unoccupied ballroom space, and even though there were, like, what, a good 60 of us there last year, we still only had the space about 1/4 full

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Hopefully I don't have a business trip Tuesday/Wednesday this year and can make it to SHOTSWEDNESDAY. Missed seeing everyone last year.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
WOO GENCON

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Badge acquired!

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Badge::Get
Looking forward to a week of dungeon building and board games!

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Badge purchased. Ready for this.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Imagine buying your badge before you’re actually traveling to indi

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
!!!

Bottom Liner posted:

How did you attend in 2017-2019???

Today we discovered just how active the official Gen-Con Forums actually could be when there were like ~75 posts in five minutes from VIGs unable to buy their badges, which is about 50 more posts than there have been in the rest of January.

Then they deleted all the overlapping threads :mad: yet they somehow cannot seem to set up even a basic system to catch the constant stream of Spam accounts/posts

LET THE RECORD SHOW HOW DUMB IT IS THAT EVEN VIGS HAD A QUEUE FOR HOTELS

oh anyway
Again make sure to EDIT: UPDATED LINK join the Gen-Con Goons Discord
but also post your insane screeds or questions here

Like "why do we go on attending in the years since Sugarfire Smokehouse closed in Indianapolis?"

Well, there may be one near you, just check the webpage for their store locator and hope for the best

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 1, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dr. Quarex posted:

!!!

How did you attend in 2017-2019???

The one year it was an issue I weaseled my way into a vendor badge :v:

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Bottom Liner posted:

I wound up missing Gen Con 2017 because my wife wanted me home to mind the baby. She eventually gave permission in early August, long after badges had sold out.

Mind you, this is why I can just plan to go to gen con without a discussion unless a baby is involved.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Like "why do we go on attending in the years since Sugarfire Smokehouse closed in Indianapolis?"
I sometimes feel this way about Haveli.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ilor posted:

I sometimes feel this way about Primanti Bros.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Ilor posted:

I sometimes feel this way about Haveli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Primanti's is good, but was only there for one con, I think.

I went to Nevermore last year, and between how that went and what reviews are looking like now; I don't see them sticking around very long.