Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Sounds like they all time traveled from 2023

shots Wednesday will do that to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

This year was a total bust for new board game releases it seems. Bought a couple of older games I found in the hall but it's dry out there.

Yeah, I wasn’t overly impressed with any new releases. Sky Team was cute enough that we bought it, but nothing blew me away. There will never be another first year of Android Netrunner. Maybe chasing that high is foolish?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Deviant posted:

shots Wednesday will do that to you

I've had more Fireball "shots" on all the Wednesdays before Gencon than I have the rest of my life.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Shots Wednesday needs to be restored to its former glory. Next year, we storm the courtyard.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Shots Wednesday needs to be restored to its former glory. Next year, we storm the courtyard.

Obviously one of us needs to form a band and get booked Wednesday night then just no show.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Obviously one of us needs to form a band and get booked Wednesday night then just no show.

That sounds like a lot more effort than sticking a pointy thing into 4 rubber things

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It was a good year for casual games IMO. I enjoyed Spellbook, Aurum, Whale To Look, Tiger & Dragon and Sea Salt & Paper.

World Wonders is so close to being a great game but the scoring is broken because buying wonders seems to be detrimental to winning. The secret objectives can help but it just seems goofy that most wonders get you the same VP as a small tile if the tile is surrounded on all sides.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

djfooboo posted:

Yeah, I wasn’t overly impressed with any new releases. Sky Team was cute enough that we bought it, but nothing blew me away. There will never be another first year of Android Netrunner. Maybe chasing that high is foolish?

Lunar Rush looked good; not enough to make me want to buy it right then and there, but enough that I would want one of my friends to buy it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I had a nice time :unsmith:

Nesbit37's writeup definitely makes me think I should always be writing up my own recollections after every convention, though of course it would be half funny or memorable things from the Auction and half how little I ate between breakfast and dinner every day

Speaking of, even though I imagined taking a break from the Auction for a few years, management told me that next year I am prefigured into the schedule for T.O.V.A. and the Charity Auction before sign-ups start, so I feel like if they are going to actually appreciate my nonsense that I should try to make it work as long as that stays the case.

Also yes for those of you who are wrestling fans but not on the Discord, I am inexplicably on Being The Elite this week as a result of Gen-Con

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Nesbit37's writeup definitely makes me think I should always be writing up my own recollections after every convention, though of course it would be half funny or memorable things from the Auction and half how little I ate between breakfast and dinner every day

You should do it. I always like looking back at them, and I am surprised how much I forget over time if I don't write it down. Plus a lot of the work I am doing on this writing project has to lean on other people's reports like that one from over the years. They're getting harder and harder to find due to how most people use the internet these days ***shakes fist at facebook and discord***. Think of it as doing future Gen Con historians a favor.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here's some clips I put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOkOmimWn1c

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
I had a great time. Picked up several Indy RPG books and a copy of Thunder Road, which has been a hit with my son. I won't be able to attend for the next few years so glad I had a good one. Thanks to the organizers of Grover Lunch and Shots Wednesday! Huge thanks to Quarex for the airport pickup.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

sportsgenius86 posted:

It was a good year for casual games IMO. I enjoyed Spellbook, Aurum, Whale To Look, Tiger & Dragon and Sea Salt & Paper.
That's Not A Hat turned out to be a hoot and Ravensburger was literally giving it away. It's like slow motion multiplayer three card monte. All you have to do is keep track of where one mundane object per player is as they predictably rotate around the board, which seems really easy but in practice turns out to be almost impossible and you're left with your head spinning as you also manage when to deliberately lie to try to screw up your opponents and when you have to bluff because you have absolutely forgotten what object is in front of you right now. The teach is like 30 seconds long and it's really fun.

I did a bunch of HeroClix stuff but there's another thread for that. I also did the Kill Team Live WH40k-themed laser tag, because I always walk by that every year and think "oh, that seems fun" and then forget to do it. Turns out: it's very fun! I was expecting something a lot less themed and immersive than the extremely kitted out conference room we got. I was on the Orks team and we krumped the stinkin' 'umies right proppa, we did. You scored points for your team based on holding a point, so my team detailed me and one other guy to just defend a point, which worked a treat -- we'd shoot the hell out of anyone coming to try and take it, and if they ever got there and switched the point to their control, we'd just let them walk away and then walk right up and switch the now-undefended point right back to us, giving the Imperium only a scant few seconds of control.

Games I came home with: Star Wars Villainous Base Game, Star Wars Villainous: Evil For Hire, Marvel Villainous: Evil Born Of Science, Shadowrun: Zero Day, That's Not A Hat, Boss Monster, Doomlings

Is my brother, who does not share my love of tabletop games but I rope him into playing them anyway, and who told me not to bring so many games home this year, annoyed with me: Yes

Games I tried but did not purchase:
  • Spy x Family: Mission for Peanuts -- Seemed to be mostly random and skating by on the strength of its license. Not a good sign that the lady with a full copy displayed in front of her wasn't actually demoing the game, just explaining it.
  • Shadowrun: Takedown -- Boy, I don't know. I think it's a bit too fast-paced for its own good. The whole thing's streamlined down to really basic rolls from an exhaustible pool that represents your action limit, and the players only have 2 real-time minutes to take their entire turns, so you've gotta be fast-talking and passing the active action puck back and forth, and meanwhile the GM needs to have an entire secret map ready to spawn in everything as you reveal new rooms, and the rooms have patrolling guards with basic pathfinding rules and a sight range, and seriously, this is a video game. It's trying to be a video game. Just be a video game. Offload all this nonsense to a computer that can do it faster anyway and won't get overwhelmed trying to keep track of everything. It'd be great as a mobile title. Drop in, get paired up with some randoms, run a 10 minute mission, get out. The game is even intended to have progression mechanics!

Oh and also there's a mechanic where if the GM thinks you need help, they can jump in as a new player, but since they saw the secret map, it causes the whole thing to get reshuffled and after that you just adjucate the reveals and moving the guards around yourselves, I guess, and why is this in there. Does the game need a GM or not?
  • Betrayal at House on the Hill, 3rd edition -- An interesting update! The haunt grid is gone; now at the start of the game you pick a scenario that answers why your group is at the house in the first place, and you match the omen against the scenario to see what haunt you get. On the one hand, the scenario thing is a needed addition. In place of the previous "well, you're exploring this haunted house Because Reasons", you immediately get a reason, which aids buy-in, and the reasons you can pick fit with the genre very well. "We're ghost hunters", "we all got mysterious invitations", "we are meddling detectives", etc., and since the haunt is keyed to your scenario, you'll get something with a tonal match. On the other hand, I can't shake the feeling that it limits replayability a bit. Getting the same omen in the same room a second time was always long odds, but if you like a scenario, you've got 9 games now before you're guaranteed to see the same haunt, and if everyone knows what's going on as soon as you draw the omen, the game suffers.

One very neat twist, though, is that now some Events can trigger Haunts of their own, overriding the scenario. Which means you could potentially be in for a very bad time on the first tile of the game! Oh, and also, Haunts have been recategorized; sometimes you get the classic single traitor vs. everyone else, sometimes you get the House vs. everyone and there's no traitor, and some Haunts are free-for-alls where only one player can win, making it basically that everyone is the traitor.
Escape rooms I did (and won):
  • Escape From Wonderland -- Not a great room, but not a bad one. Nice work with the theme. I had a very unique and memorable play experience, though. When you start the game, you have to solve an introductory puzzle, which gives you two clues and lets you loose on the rest of the room. My team solved that one in good order... and then bumblefucked around for the next twenty minutes, completely failing to understand what the clues even were, let alone where they were pointing us, so we just randomly moved around and poked every corner of the room, trying to figure what we were even supposed to be solving (which we couldn't do, because we didn't understand the clues at all).

And then once we finally solved the first two clues (in part by finally realizing that some text, which literally each one of us had examined as a possible acrostic and concluded it was not one, was in fact a goddamn acrostic and we were all idiots), with less than 20 minutes remaining... we beat the room. We absolutely tore across the place at blazing speed, solving puzles as quick as we saw them, no doubt aided by the fact that we were all extremely familiar with each and every corner of the goddamn room by that point. The operator said she'd never seen anything like it.
  • Cabin of the Cackling Man -- This gets my vote for the most innovative experience of the weekend, and I highly recommend it. The story is that you've found yourself in an abandoned cabin with an NES inside, playing a mysterious video game. And when the room begins... there's an NES inside, playing a mysterious video game. I've played rooms before with a similar setup. The game was used for ambiance, or maybe a puzzle solution or two. Not this time.

In this room, the game and the room are intertwined. Actions in the game will cause changes in the room, and vice versa. The room will have hints that you need to progress in the game, and vice versa. You can't treat the NES as a gimmick. You need two teams, a video game team and a room team, and they have to be in constant communication with each other. ("I need it to be night time, can you make it night time?" "Oh! I've heard that name!")

The game itself initially comes off as a Legend of Zelda romhack, but that turns out to be a testament to its actual quality. It quickly shows Final Fantasy influences, blending the two games, and eventually starts pulling tricks that actual NES hardware is incapable of. It's custom software, running a full game that expertly mimics the NES experience. It's a labor of love and I was extremely impressed. (And, for the record, I was on the room team, so I only saw it in bits and pieces.)

The actual room itself is a bit small -- it doesn't even take up the full meeting room that these pop-up jobs usually do, the cabin is a smaller space inside of it -- and one of the puzzles is a bit too finnicky and basically unsolvable without the operator guiding you through what you're supposed to be actually seeing. The rest of the puzzles are great, though, you're doing some really satisfyingly tactile stuff, and overall I can't recommend the room enough.

Oh, and bonus points for the puzzle where the video game is giving you clues you're meant to look up in the actual Nintendo Powers you've been discovering in the cabin, except that I am a tremendous nerd and I wasn't any better when I was 5, so I was rattling off the answers as soon as we saw the clues. I knew I wasn't wasting my childhood!
  • Space: 2112 -- I always like to do one Escape Room Indy room, and this year, this was it. They've got the major advantage of having a permanent location with bespoke rooms built for the puzzles, letting you actually physically unlock doors and move into new spaces as you progress. In this one, the first room is actually on hydraulics, just so they can shake it when they launch you into space.

They've got this one listed as a challenging room, and it definitely gave us a run for our money, which wasn't helped by a few of the more physical gimmicks not being as reliable as they should have been. I feel like I'm damning with faint praise here; I definitely liked it. All of Escape Room Indy's rooms are really solid and fun experiences with immaculate themeing. This one just... was also that. Of the three I've done -- this, Art Gallery Heist, and Jail Break -- I think Jail Break was my favorite. Space: 2112 has, appropriately, the most high-tech puzzles of the three of them. Do this if you like the sci-fi theme, you'll have a good time.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Not really a Gen Con success story for me (I didn't get to go), but my friend Zofia bought me these bad boys, which came this morning:

I read most of Captain's Log, made a character, and played my first session at work tonight. The vibe is "Michael Schur workplace comedy mockumentary, but Star Trek", I made a cast list for the recurring/main characters, and am writing my play reports as a script rather than prose or, uh, simple play reports. It's a great solo game - I think I like it more than STA and have already been able to make use of stuff from the Lower Decks book with absolutely zero finagling.

Zofia said the con was great tho! Glad it sounds like most people had a good time.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That's Not a Hat sounds fun but I had no idea it even existed until this thread because I purposely avoided the Ravensburger booth at all costs

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

sportsgenius86 posted:

That's Not a Hat sounds fun but I had no idea it even existed until this thread because I purposely avoided the Ravensburger booth at all costs
It was genuinely fine past 2 pm or so when the Lorcana poo poo would die down a bit and they'd open up a non-Lorcana line and start demoing stuff again, and they had a supplementary booth in Hall B.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Still not over walking into the concourse Saturday morning and seeing a family of 4 with their ~4 year old and infant near the front of the all night Lorcana line, all looking completely drained and obviously having spent the night in there. What the gently caress people

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

sasha_d3ath posted:

Not really a Gen Con success story for me (I didn't get to go), but my friend Zofia bought me these bad boys, which came this morning:

I read most of Captain's Log, made a character, and played my first session at work tonight. The vibe is "Michael Schur workplace comedy mockumentary, but Star Trek", I made a cast list for the recurring/main characters, and am writing my play reports as a script rather than prose or, uh, simple play reports. It's a great solo game - I think I like it more than STA and have already been able to make use of stuff from the Lower Decks book with absolutely zero finagling.

Zofia said the con was great tho! Glad it sounds like most people had a good time.

I didn’t realize they made a solo RPG version of Star Trek Adventures. I may have to check that out. I am assuming it came out at Gen Con?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I got to be a crypto-obsessed swindler in the grim darkness of the CY_BORG future, and it was swell. I regret not going with my original plan of reciting the John Galt speech on top of the poker tables to distract security, but alas

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

nesbit37 posted:

I didn’t realize they made a solo RPG version of Star Trek Adventures. I may have to check that out. I am assuming it came out at Gen Con?

PDF version came out about a month ago, but physical was at gencon, yeah (I got the DS9 cover)

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
They were out of variant covers but I got one of the last ones available so in the end who's to say who's the loving INSUFFICIENT FAKE GEEK WHO DOESN'T HAVE A COOL COVER [leaps into bed scream-sobbing]

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

I got to be a crypto-obsessed swindler in the grim darkness of the CY_BORG future, and it was swell. I regret not going with my original plan of reciting the John Galt speech on top of the poker tables to distract security, but alas

I would've made you recite the entire thing in the background while I asked the other players what they were doing.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

And I wouldn't have to do any work!

:hmmyes:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Pop quiz time!

You are game designers attending GenCon to promote your own game. You have access to the vendor area while everyone is setting up, and you spot an unattended pallet with $300,000 of Magic cards on it. You decide to steal that pallet. Do you do so while wearing a t-shirt with the game's logo on it, a game which, again, you created and are at GenCon to promote and is a product that has your real names and pictures of you associated with it?

If you're Thomas Dunbar and Andrew Giaume, the answer is hell yes, why wouldn't you.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
So have the Pinkertons done their thing yet then?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That game had to be created specifically to give them an opportunity to steal poo poo.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Time to find out. GenCon thieves apprehended.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/l...vrpymyuizo5y0re

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It makes me feel better to know that Gen-Con Magic: the Gathering interests are moneyed enough to attract sufficient law enforcement attention to get these evildoers apprehended

All Commanders Are Bastards

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dr. Quarex posted:

It makes me feel better to know that Gen-Con Magic: the Gathering interests are moneyed enough to attract sufficient law enforcement attention to get these evildoers apprehended

All Commanders Are Bastards

I mean, WotC sent the Pinkerton's to a dudes house earlier this year for daring to make a YouTube video about some cards he got early. This is pretty tame considering these dudes actually stole a bunch of stuff.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Predictably I saved over the post by mistake oops lolol

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 13, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Finally a good reason to line up for the door rush

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Bottom Liner posted:

I mean, WotC sent the Pinkerton's to a dudes house earlier this year for daring to make a YouTube video about some cards he got early. This is pretty tame considering these dudes actually stole a bunch of stuff.

In this case, Wizards isn't the "victim", so they wouldn't even be able to do that. The cards were stolen from (presumably, since they run all the events at the con) Pastimes, who would have bought them all from Wizards, or possibly distributors.

Arguably, they weren't "victims" in the other scenario, either, but you know how IP owners are. :jerkbag:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Stealing from corporations isn't just right, it's your civic duty.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
When are we getting the 2024 thread, or is Quarex going to make us listen to podcasts about it instead

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Eastmabl posted:

When are we getting the 2024 thread, or is Quarex going to make us listen to podcasts about it instead
PORQUE
NO
LOS
DOS

I did think I would finish the thread today but I am not known for correctly thinking

Definitely 95% done though! Maybe I will take my laptop to bed and see if I wake up having finished it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
SO IT IS WRITTEN

SO IT SHALL BE DONE