Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I only got to try Haveli once because it closed my second year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I miss the Indian buffet that was in Indy. It was close enough to walk but just far away enough that it wasn't packed during the con.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

CellBlock posted:

Primanti's is good, but was only there for one con, I think.

I went to Nevermore last year, and between how that went and what reviews are looking like now; I don't see them sticking around very long.

Hard same.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Eastmabl posted:

I wound up missing Gen Con 2017 because my wife wanted me home to mind the baby. She eventually gave permission in early August, long after badges had sold out.
Having a baby during Gen-Con 2016 was definitely the only thing short of catastrophic illness or injury that I imagine will lead to me missing the glory until such time as I die and my body fuses with the Indiana Convention Center.

Plus missing that convention led to me telling my father about that and him telling me for the first time that I was born the weekend he was going to be the keynote speaker at a conference in Sweden, an opportunity he certainly never had again as far as I know. Truly, missing that was exactly the same level of meaningful as me missing "doing T.O.V.A. one of many years"

Ilor posted:

I sometimes feel this way about Haveli.
I am nearly positive I learned about Haveli from your posts originally so you can at least feel good that you did your best to help it remain. I cannot really imagine it closed due to lack of business given how busy it always was, but I also do not understand restaurant economics

CellBlock posted:

Primanti's is good, but was only there for one con, I think.

I went to Nevermore last year, and between how that went and what reviews are looking like now; I don't see them sticking around very long.
But it sounds like it was designed SPECIFICALLY FOR OUR GROUP TO ALL FIND SOMETHING TO ENJOY if they have coffee and drinks and gaming!

...so looking at their webpage it seems they have dropped coffee from their concept since opening. And I also now see the string of 1-star reviews. Wow, fantastic! Reminds me of the only 1-star review I ever left, of Piratz Tavern (years before it was on Bar Rescue might I add), where we repeatedly walked from the front to the back of the restaurant for 10 minutes and never once saw anyone working there to talk to. Restaurants that do not actually want to be open are really the most amazing kind of business

8one6 posted:

I miss the Indian buffet that was in Indy. It was close enough to walk but just far away enough that it wasn't packed during the con.
That was Haveli, unless there was another Indian buffet we tragically lost recently.

Haveli and Claddagh were absolutely, at different times in my years of attending, the Food Rock around which all relaxation and planning seemed to emanate, as I went to each of them more than once at least one year. And then both turned to trash and closed. O.K. Haveli probably did not turn to trash but it sure did close.

Harry & Izzy's is the only nearby restaurant I would go to bat for these days, and it certainly seems like it will stick around. Well Patachou, but I always feel like if you have to pay for breakfast you are doing it wrong

WAIT and Fat Rooster if it survives yet another year

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Gen con is probably the only good thing about Indiana tbh

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Al-Saqr posted:

they have pretty good

uh

no you're right

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dr. Quarex posted:

Harry & Izzy's is the only nearby restaurant I would go to bat for these days, and it certainly seems like it will stick around.

It should given that it's just a branch of St. Elmo's.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

There's uh... well some places it has a low cost of living.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I feel like Gen Con is lacking good restaraunts these days. Or at least places I liked. Primanti Bros and the RAM are both gone now, as is Scotty's. I don't think any of them have suitable replacements within walking distance of the con. Good Wood is ok but I liked everything about the Ram better.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Well Patachou, but I always feel like if you have to pay for breakfast you are doing it wrong
I will happily pay for Patachou's Cuban Breakfast and cinnamon toast.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Patachou is certainly good enough that I might intentionally get to Indianapolis in the morning before checking in to my hotel just to eat there and have it make sense

Al-Saqr posted:

I mean it is definitely the best thing, but it would be my favorite thing about any state so that is not saying much.

That said, Indiana does not do much to inspire politically certainly. And as an Illinoisian I am required to have always thought it was a wannabe Illinois.

Apparently Bloomington is the cool hip part of Indiana but until they have a convention there I am never going to know

kirtar posted:

It should given that it's just a branch of St. Elmo's.
Well yeah but that did not save Burger Study! Granted it did not literally share a kitchen with St. Elmo's which probably helped it be less sustainable. I am just glad I got to have the Stranger Things burger before it closed, especially since it confirmed even great ingredients cannot fully make up for a burger being between two Eggo waffles

nesbit37 posted:

I feel like Gen Con is lacking good restaraunts these days. Or at least places I liked. Primanti Bros and the RAM are both gone now, as is Scotty's. I don't think any of them have suitable replacements within walking distance of the con. Good Wood is ok but I liked everything about the Ram better.
Some municipal database surely has the answers I seek but I really do wonder if Indianapolis lost significantly more restaurants than average in the last few years. That a few of our favorites closed in 2019 is really the thing that makes me wonder if there were other big factors in play besides the pandemic. Iremember reading claims about riots playing a role in destabilizing downtown; likely hyperbolic, but perception feeds reality and all.

Honestly until I started going to Origins again I did not realize how dire the situation was in Indianapolis, as in Columbus the existence of North Market alone functionally means there are as many good places to eat at Origins a block from the convention center as there are in Indianapolis within easy walking distance at all, not to mention all the other good restaurants within a few blocks there.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Downtown also lost the walkable CVS, so now I have to uber to get my Friday Buffalo Trace.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CVS <--------> selling Bourbon

what?!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I just hope either better restaraunts open or the currents one improve by Gen Con this year. I tried the perogi truck last year, and I should have known better because they didn’t list prices, but it was $25 for 3 very overly cooked and kind of cold perogis. Maybe some of the other trucks were better quality but i bet all of them except Island Noodles were just as expensive.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It was also hilarious/frustrating that most or all of the food trucks followed the trend of not putting prices on anything so they could raise them by 50% or more for that kind of event.

The pickle chicken pizza is pretty good at $5 a slice though.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Bottom Liner posted:

what?!

Yeah drug stores in Indiana can sell liquor. I don't know if all grocery stores use their pharmacy for the liquor license, but my local Marsh did which caused them to fire sale all of their liquor upon closing the pharmacy (shortly before going oops we are closing completely after all because bankrupt company).

E: Just glancing through the license types, they probably all do. They can either do combined liquor/beer/wine through the pharmacy or beer/wine as a grocery store with liquor through the pharmacy. I suspect that the latter setup is more common to prevent all three going poof if for some reason the pharmacy has to be shut down.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 1, 2023

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Dr. Quarex posted:

oh anyway
Again make sure to join the Gen-Con Goons Discord
but also post your insane screeds or questions here

Like "why do we go on attending in the years since Sugarfire Smokehouse closed in Indianapolis?"

Well, there may be one near you, just check the webpage for their store locator and hope for the best

Discord link is dead.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I just hope either better restaraunts open or the currents one improve by Gen Con this year. I tried the perogi truck last year, and I should have known better because they didn’t list prices, but it was $25 for 3 very overly cooked and kind of cold perogis. Maybe some of the other trucks were better quality but i bet all of them except Island Noodles were just as expensive.
The food trucks are so infuriating to me, as they are seemingly busy at all times and there is barely any covered eating space and I am NOT GOING TO STAND THE gently caress IN THE SUN IN INDIANA IN AUGUST

Capfalcon posted:

Discord link is dead.
INCONCEIVABLE

I will edit the old links to this one I am making RIGHT NOW:

Join the Gen-Con Goon Hivemind

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Bottom Liner posted:

what?!

Welcome to the Midwest. Find me on Friday night and we can walk around the JW with open containers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just the JW? I’ve been carrying a hydro flask with cold beer in the vendor hall since I think my second gencon? That’s also why I hate the giant boxy game backpacks bumping into me constantly.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I predict this will end well:

What happens if I go to an event, and they ask me to wear a mask and I refuse to do so?

Wearing a mask at the convention is optional, so the EO cannot require that you wear a mask at their event. With this in mind, we request that you and the EO are polite to one another while you resolve the matter. However, if the EO persists, you should contact the nearest Event HQ to have them resolve the situation. Alternatively, in order to ensure that GM and players are comfortable, it is probably best to find another event without this request.

If it is not in the Event description can the EO request that we wear masks at the time of the Event?

Yes, the EO can politely request that you wear a mask during their event. This is meant to ensure both GMs and players can find events that fit their comfort level. Please be respectful of the other attendees and the EO if you choose to decline the request to wear a mask.

What if an EO asks that no one wears masks at the table?

While an EO has the right to not wear a mask during their events, you have the right to wear a mask at any event you attend. If an EO persists in asking you to remove your mask, you should contact the nearest Event HQ to have them resolve the situation.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lol what a spineless nothing policy.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Last year's vaccine+mask mandate was great. Kept all the chuds and idiots away.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Ilor posted:

I really wish they would have kept with it. It really did filter out the crowd a lot. I know everyone I regularly go with will be masking the entire time, and we will probably book events together. I'm apprehensive of the health risks, but alas, it's Gen Con, and I can't just not go.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Eastmabl posted:

Welcome to the Midwest.

Ilor posted:

It does seem like a decent chunk of shitfucks have been permanently disillusioned from thinking Gen-Con is for them due to several decisions made over the past decade, obviously including the vaccine and mask mandate but also unforgivable sins like having Anita Sarkeesian as an invited guest and claiming a zero-tolerance policy for harassment (how well enforced that is is a matter of interpretation but certainly it seems like their policies are often about the best you can get). Oh and formally banning Dungface Bigmad and Literal Rapist. No need to investigate who I am talking about if you do not know already (should be obvious from their legal names that I just used).

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

It does seem like a decent chunk of shitfucks have been permanently disillusioned from thinking Gen-Con is for them due to several decisions made over the past decade, obviously including the vaccine and mask mandate but also unforgivable sins like having Anita Sarkeesian as an invited guest and claiming a zero-tolerance policy for harassment (how well enforced that is is a matter of interpretation but certainly it seems like their policies are often about the best you can get). Oh and formally banning Dungface Bigmad and Literal Rapist. No need to investigate who I am talking about if you do not know already (should be obvious from their legal names that I just used).

I am not sure how they handle their no harassment policy. Matt Fantastic supposedly received a life time ban for punching out Hammberlamberly on the streets of Indianapolis and I am almost positive he was at Gen Con last year. It's also possible he never received said ban since that was coming from the punchee but who knows.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Don’t forget Chickfila Pantsshitter

Masks were definitely going to be a non-starter this year, people just give absolutely zero fucks anymore (at least in rural PA) and even if there was a mask policy people would probably flaunt it.

I’m more frustrated by lack of vaccine card req, that’s something that really weeds out the assholes. Guess I better time a booster to my Aug - Jan con schedule

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Fellis posted:

Don’t forget Chickfila Pantsshitter

Dr. Quarex posted:

Literal Rapist

They're the same picture

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I just posted this in the Discord but I am so excited about this I want to post it here too

An on-site 1974 Gen-Con news story! A couple of statements from Gary Gygax and some people ROLLIN' DICE

https://uwmarchives.tumblr.com/post/624829404569288704

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Bottom Liner posted:

Just the JW? I’ve been carrying a hydro flask with cold beer in the vendor hall since I think my second gencon? That’s also why I hate the giant boxy game backpacks bumping into me constantly.

I've stayed in the JW the last few years. Ain't got to go nowhere except the JW if I'm getting tore up.

216A
May 27, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Dr. Quarex posted:

Apparently Bloomington is the cool hip part of Indiana but until they have a convention there I am never going to know

It’s an archetypical small hippyish college town. It’s nice but in no way different than any of the other ones in every state.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Some municipal database surely has the answers I seek but I really do wonder if Indianapolis lost significantly more restaurants than average in the last few years. That a few of our favorites closed in 2019 is really the thing that makes me wonder if there were other big factors in play besides the pandemic. Iremember reading claims about riots playing a role in destabilizing downtown; likely hyperbolic, but perception feeds reality and all.

Honestly until I started going to Origins again I did not realize how dire the situation was in Indianapolis, as in Columbus the existence of North Market alone functionally means there are as many good places to eat at Origins a block from the convention center as there are in Indianapolis within easy walking distance at all, not to mention all the other good restaurants within a few blocks there.

As a fairly long term Indianapolis resident, the loss of the convention trade/sports affected the restaurants on that side of downtown pretty crushingly.

In a similar vein the restaurants in that area are ones pointed to the same trade, so nothing that stands out at best. I live/work downtown and other than the occasional trip to ST Elmo’s there is nothing that I ever go to in the area.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

216A posted:

It’s an archetypical small hippyish college town. It’s nice but in no way different than any of the other ones in every state.

As a fairly long term Indianapolis resident, the loss of the convention trade/sports affected the restaurants on that side of downtown pretty crushingly.

In a similar vein the restaurants in that area are ones pointed to the same trade, so nothing that stands out at best. I live/work downtown and other than the occasional trip to ST Elmo’s there is nothing that I ever go to in the area.
216A, you are the gatekeeper of all missing Indianapolis knowledge, thank you for this (also that makes sense about Bloomington, I am sure I have been to a town just like that one dozens of times then, not that this makes it bad)

Do you mean the loss of convention/sports largely in the pandemic sense? Certainly that must be a big part of it but I imagine there is more going on there

St. Elmo's really is great, and if it and Harry & Izzy's disappeared I would genuinely not know what to even do with myself while there. I guess I would still dutifully go to the Old Spaghetti Factory and Fat Rooster once each but that leaves a pretty big gap, especially when I am there for 7 days. Oh wait Kuma's Corner for pre-convention days!!!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I have yet to go to St. Elmos or Harry and Izzys. I should probably fix that with at least one of those this year. I tend to like to go to places that more on the beer pub side of things like the RAM was and Goodwood is. Just wish there were more options within walking distance of the ICC. I guess I hit up Loughmiller's sometimes but for some reason they tend not to do it for me.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

nesbit37 posted:

I guess I hit up Loughmiller's sometimes but for some reason they tend not to do it for me.
Good, that makes it easier for me to get a table. :colbert:

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

i was trying to remember what those 2 restaurants were, and then I was, oh right, am vegetarian.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nashona posted:

i was trying to remember what those 2 restaurants were, and then I was, oh right, am vegetarian.
I literally cannot imagine what a vegetarian even does during Gen-Con other than bring food from home

I guess vegans would have an even bigger problem, as I have had just pasta and cheese a few times. Though most of those places are gone, too

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I literally cannot imagine what a vegetarian even does during Gen-Con other than bring food from home

I guess vegans would have an even bigger problem, as I have had just pasta and cheese a few times. Though most of those places are gone, too

Garlic bread from Giordano's? More seriously, Island Noodle's options are 'With chicken' or 'Without chicken'!

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I have still never had Island Noodles. The line goes on for days, and people say “but if moves fast”. Yeah, but I can probably get a table at a restaurant (or like at a hotel bar) and still be done by my next event. Or the food truck nobody else wants to go to.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Dr. Quarex posted:

It's usually not that bad lol. and there's usually helpful threads somewhere on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

nesbit37 posted:

I have yet to go to St. Elmos or Harry and Izzys. I should probably fix that with at least one of those this year. I tend to like to go to places that more on the beer pub side of things like the RAM was and Goodwood is. Just wish there were more options within walking distance of the ICC. I guess I hit up Loughmiller's sometimes but for some reason they tend not to do it for me.

Come to Groverlunch