Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Ego Trip posted:

Come to Groverlunch

I might this year! If I don't have an event scheduled over that slot I probably will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

nesbit37 posted:

I might this year! If I don't have an event scheduled over that slot I probably will.

I stopped scheduling things on Saturday specifically because of Groverlunch. It's easier than hoping you can finish eating and settle up before your event.

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Ego Trip posted:

Come to Groverlunch

We'll need a volunteer to call Harry & Izzy's to make the reservation.

Not it!

216A
May 27, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Dr. Quarex posted:

216A, you are the gatekeeper of all missing Indianapolis knowledge, thank you for this (also that makes sense about Bloomington, I am sure I have been to a town just like that one dozens of times then, not that this makes it bad)

Do you mean the loss of convention/sports largely in the pandemic sense? Certainly that must be a big part of it but I imagine there is more going on there

St. Elmo's really is great, and if it and Harry & Izzy's disappeared I would genuinely not know what to even do with myself while there. I guess I would still dutifully go to the Old Spaghetti Factory and Fat Rooster once each but that leaves a pretty big gap, especially when I am there for 7 days. Oh wait Kuma's Corner for pre-convention days!!!

I think the loss of the conventions and sports started the trend. I know catering numbers shot up when those things did come back in an attempt to limit exposure. Many people were and still are convinced that downtown Indianapolis is now like Beirut 1980 and they have lost a lot of the suburban diners.

There are a lot of great places fairly close, particularly if you have a rental car. Bluebeard and Milktooth over in the Fountain Square area are amazing. Hinata is the best semi-formal Japanese food I’ve had away from the West Coast, though reservations are needed months ahead. If you are willing to drive further afield, the southern suburbs have a surprisingly amount of great Burmese/Hmong places due to post-Vietnam resettlement policies.

It’s still impossible to get a good pierogi but there are some ok kreplach.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I mean part of the problem is its Gen Con, a lot of us won’t have cars or if we do they are stuck in parking we can’t take them out of. I guess Uber exists but that’s more time away from the con as well.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Yeah, a first timer friend sought out a few restaurants in Indy and proposed hitting them up but I had to tell them 'This is a nice idea but I'm not taking two hours out of my Gencon time to eat somewhere.'

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

CellBlock posted:

I have still never had Island Noodles. The line goes on for days, and people say “but if moves fast”. Yeah, but I can probably get a table at a restaurant (or like at a hotel bar) and still be done by my next event. Or the food truck nobody else wants to go to.
For real, the line goes fast. I've never waited longer than 10 minutes, even when the line is half way to the Omni. Half the time, you can't get a table/menu/drinks in any nearby restaurant (including hotel bars) in the time it takes you to make it through the Island Noodle line. Super close, super fast, super convenient, super tasty.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I consider Island Noodles to be walking food as well. I've dropped by, gotten my noods, and eaten them while on my way to events at the Marriot(s) to really save some time and get something in my belly.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I’ve never eaten at any place in the ICC nor at any of the food trucks. I went to the food court in the mall once lol

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I’ll eat at the ICC from time to time but only when there is no line and I literally just need any food, and I mean any, to keep going. It’s expensive (though not food truck expensive) with a bonus of being not good. Though I have enjoyed getting the fancy reusable soda cups and just getting unlimited refills at the ICC food court near the food trucks. I am pretty sure you are not supposed to do that but they don’t care.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

216A posted:

I think the loss of the conventions and sports started the trend. I know catering numbers shot up when those things did come back in an attempt to limit exposure. Many people were and still are convinced that downtown Indianapolis is now like Beirut 1980 and they have lost a lot of the suburban diners.

There are a lot of great places fairly close, particularly if you have a rental car. Bluebeard and Milktooth over in the Fountain Square area are amazing. Hinata is the best semi-formal Japanese food I’ve had away from the West Coast, though reservations are needed months ahead. If you are willing to drive further afield, the southern suburbs have a surprisingly amount of great Burmese/Hmong places due to post-Vietnam resettlement policies.

It’s still impossible to get a good pierogi but there are some ok kreplach.
Kreplach knowledge increased!

What you say makes sense about people thinking downtown Indianapolis is a terrifying place; over the last few years I have seen a few threads on either the official forums or Facebook (probably both) where locals are like "I won't ever go down there except for Gen-Con anymore, it's not safe!!!" and other locals are like "literally what in the hell are you talking about"

Bluebeard and Milktooth definitely used to be on the list of good Indianapolis restaurants I maintained in the yearly post, but basically as Nesbit37 and BlackIronHeart got at nobody is wandering outside the immediate radius of the convention center by Thursday morning, and Wednesday evening is Rathskeller Time which means for most people in this thread there is really no opportunity to explore elsewhere. This definitely might be my Milktooth year though!!! Though Hinata sounds awfully tempting. I did love Burmese food the one time I ever had some in the D.C. suburbs, as I did not realize I needed "kind of Indian and kind of Chinese" in my life.

Unrelated if anyone is ever in Seattle you have to go to Pam's Kitchen because Trinidadian food is like Indian-Mexican and is also magnificent

Fellis posted:

I’ve never eaten at any place in the ICC nor at any of the food trucks. I went to the food court in the mall once lol
No shame there, I am still sad I never ate at CUP OF CORN

They used to have a genuinely delicious Italian restaurant in the basement of the mall (well the pizza was good I do not know if the normal food was), yet another of the many restaurants I was sad to see disappear in the last decade

Dammit why am I not in Indianapolis already

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

pizza di tito inside the PNC center/hyatt is legit good pizza.

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

8one6 posted:

pizza di tito inside the PNC center/hyatt is legit good pizza.

Tito's is also open for breakfast! Standard diner grill food is available (eggs, home fries, bacon, etc).

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Hello again everyone! I'll be GMing Starfinder in the Sagamore, masked, come and join me if you'd like some fun science fantasy games!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
How do you feel about the whole note being able to require the other people playing at your table to wear a mask thing if your masking as a judge?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

OgreNoah posted:

Hello again everyone! I'll be GMing Starfinder in the Sagamore, masked, come and join me if you'd like some fun science fantasy games!

I was thinking about what RPGs I should try, and now Starfinder is on top of the list.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

nesbit37 posted:

How do you feel about the whole note being able to require the other people playing at your table to wear a mask thing if your masking as a judge?

I'm just doing it anyway. Anyone complains, cool, they win. Game's cancelled, good thing I have a Switch in my hotel room.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

nesbit37 posted:

I never run my own events, but if you put in your event description "masks are kindly requested" and you have a box of disposables at the table and someone buys a ticket and throws a tantrum that you can't make them put it on, then I guess whatever - take their money. If all the other ticket buyers aren't comfortable playing with someone who isn't masked, then I guess cancel their ticket and let them get a refund?

I'd like to think that the people most adamant about not wearing a mask won't sign up for events that ask you to wear one, but most people don't read event descriptions at all (as evidenced by the people who show up to events with "materials not provided" or "Experience Required" expecting to be taught a game).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Poor event HQ staffers are going to spend ~96 hours resolving masks disputes with the dumbest people in the world. Couldn't pay me enough to deal with that for 4 days. And by resolving I mean telling the people that ask others to mask that there's nothing they can do and shrugging.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

nesbit37 posted:

Requiring masks is a super hard sell, given that the public health emergency ends at the federal level come May 11.

Edit: people should absolutely take the steps they feel appropriate for their own situation. Gen Con has legal obligations and administrative considerations that likely drive this outcome.

Eastmabl fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 9, 2023

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

theironjef posted:

I'm just doing it anyway. Anyone complains, cool, they win. Game's cancelled, good thing I have a Switch in my hotel room.

To ward off idiots, messaging those who purchased tickets about your approach may get the CHUDs to stay away.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yes I think messaging in advance would be a good idea.

I am not planning to run any events this year, but if I was and wanted people to mask I’d probably just walk away from the table and refuse to run it someone showed up and refused to put a mask on after being asked. I don’t see any other good solutions that don’t involve sitting their awkwardly with a dick for 4 hours.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Eastmabl posted:

To ward off idiots, messaging those who purchased tickets about your approach may get the CHUDs to stay away.

I mostly just run a couple games for fans of my shows and books and stuff and the price point tends to keep out the worst. I will definitely still be doing this though.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

theironjef posted:

I mostly just run a couple games for fans of my shows and books and stuff and the price point tends to keep out the worst. I will definitely still be doing this though.

What are your shows and books? Asking for a friend.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Eastmabl posted:

What are your shows and books? Asking for a friend.

Oh, I host a podcast where we review weird old roleplaying games called System Mastery along with a few other shows that grew out from that, and then my podcast partner and I have also written an RPG cocktail recipe book and cookbook, both under a brand called Dungeonmeister. We have more Dungeonmeister stuff coming, too.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

theironjef posted:

Oh, I host a podcast where we review weird old roleplaying games called System Mastery along with a few other shows that grew out from that, and then my podcast partner and I have also written an RPG cocktail recipe book and cookbook, both under a brand called Dungeonmeister. We have more Dungeonmeister stuff coming, too.

Are you guys doing any System Mastery stuff this year, or just running games? I haven't been able to get my James D’Amato brand live show fix since 2019.

I imagine he's busy with a baby and all, at least.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Are you guys doing any System Mastery stuff this year, or just running games? I haven't been able to get my James D’Amato brand live show fix since 2019.

I imagine he's busy with a baby and all, at least.

We're doing at least a few things, most with James present as well. I assume we'll do our regular show live, probably one or two table games, and then because we're at GenCon as part of a book tour thing through our publisher, we're doing Dungeonmeister/Ultimate RPG stuff: a rebranding of a quiz show we ran in 2019, this time with audience prizes, and a panel about how to onboard your friends that are trying to get into non-D&D RPGs, I think? That one isn't finalized yet. But yeah, James will be there, and it would be wild if he wasn't doing some other panels/live shows of his own, I just can't speak to what they are yet.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

theironjef posted:

We're doing at least a few things, most with James present as well. I assume we'll do our regular show live, probably one or two table games, and then because we're at GenCon as part of a book tour thing through our publisher, we're doing Dungeonmeister/Ultimate RPG stuff: a rebranding of a quiz show we ran in 2019, this time with audience prizes, and a panel about how to onboard your friends that are trying to get into non-D&D RPGs, I think? That one isn't finalized yet. But yeah, James will be there, and it would be wild if he wasn't doing some other panels/live shows of his own, I just can't speak to what they are yet.

Sweet, sounds like I'll have more events than just Rude Tales this year.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Does buying everything Free League sells count as an event?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ego Trip posted:

The event of a lifetime.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I am not planning to run any events this year, but if I was and wanted people to mask I’d probably just walk away from the table and refuse to run it someone showed up and refused to put a mask on after being asked. I don’t see any other good solutions that don’t involve sitting their awkwardly with a dick for 4 hours.
Agreed, I hope this is pretty much how it goes precisely so Bottom Liner's point about how they will probably be doing nothing but dealing with mask arguments does not have to come true.

Ego Trip posted:

Scary Swedish things are of particular interest to me, a scary (3rd generation) Swede

I do yearn for the days when I had competitions to see if I could find and purchase something at the Auction that was hilarious to me and yet that nobody I knew thought was the least bit funny

Goldmansack
Sep 3, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The event of a lifetime.

It is usually broken up into a few events for me as my will slowly breaks down over the weekend.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Well, we're hosed. I've got the earliest time in my group and that is loving dire as my best time in almost a decade has been 1:45pm.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Historically speaking 145 isn’t terrible. Usually downtown hotels hold out till roughly 2pm. We’ll see if that holds true for this year.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

Historically speaking 145 isn’t terrible. Usually downtown hotels hold out till roughly 2pm. We’ll see if that holds true for this year.

Yeah but this year I have the earliest time of 2:59pm lol

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Alas. I wish we had picked up another half-dozen Goon VIGs in 2021, I feel like we could cover everybody with a few more rooms

Alternately, we need to make EVEN MORE LASTING FRIENDSHIPS AT SHOTS WEDNESDAY

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
I don't know if there are many new VIGs this year.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
There shouldn’t be, front the info I have they raised the number to 500 and want to keep it more or less there for the time being.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

There shouldn’t be, front the info I have they raised the number to 500 and want to keep it more or less there for the time being.

Got 1:15, that's cool. That's basically good for lovely downtown, right? I did Airbnb the last two times.

Also when do they start approving events? My publisher won't officially start approving reimbursements and stuff until the two events they scheduled me for are official.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Pretty sure they are already approving them. Event submission has been open for a while now.