Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Not the first time the auction has been exiled. With the Midwest Express Center opened up the miniatures events and the auction were banished to the old arena, which you had to walk *gasp* outside to get to and everyone who was stuck in that old building instead of the shiny new convention center hated it. To be fair, I also have read about several people not going specifically because they didn't feel like walking there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
OUTSIDE??? That is a cardinal sin, past Gen-Con, how dare you

I am sure we will permanently lose some people from the move, I am probably not going to even hit the block party anymore because walking out of your way to go to a thing you only have a tangential interest in is not really my jam, so it is hard to fault anyone who feels that way about the Auction

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Dr. Quarex posted:

OUTSIDE??? That is a cardinal sin, past Gen-Con, how dare you

I am sure we will permanently lose some people from the move, I am probably not going to even hit the block party anymore because walking out of your way to go to a thing you only have a tangential interest in is not really my jam, so it is hard to fault anyone who feels that way about the Auction

Quarex, I can't believe you're not mentioning our podcast.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Had my first Gencon nightmare, can't wait for next week!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Speaking also of outside at Gen-Con being a sin, I just re-found this earliest known image of a large man asleep in the hallway during Gen-Con (1974)

Well, size and hallway both adjusted for inflation

I assume Nesbit37 found this originally though I cannot find where I got it at this point

Eastmabl posted:

Quarex, I can't believe you're not mentioning our podcast.
Our what now?

ALL YEAR I DREAM ABOUT GAMING CONVENTIONS: EPISODE TEN OUT NOW! Stay tuned for our last-minute Gen-Con hype episode coming next Tuesday??? and then ideally short daily recaps once things get rolling!

BlackIronHeart posted:

Had my first Gencon nightmare, can't wait for next week!
This truly means Gen-Con is at hand. Or just ended recently. Or is coming up soon. Or coming up a long time from now, really.

Who was it that said he had practiced lucid dreaming in part because his "oh no it is the Sunday of Gen-Con and I did not go yet" dreams were so frequent he had the chance to grab the reins

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

Speaking also of outside at Gen-Con being a sin, I just re-found this earliest known image of a large man asleep in the hallway during Gen-Con (1974)

Well, size and hallway both adjusted for inflation

That's very clearly outside, likely in the middle courtyard of Horticulture Hall. I could probably find the same windows in my wedding photos.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

I assume Nesbit37 found this originally though I cannot find where I got it at this point

Yes you got this from me. It was published in an early zine giving a review of one of the early Gen Cons.

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

Bruxism posted:

After rolling schedule open last year, I'm trying to book a few more events this year. Trying to get in some RPGs I kick-started but haven't been able to play and try out a few boardgames I don't feel like buying. Also trying to do Math Trade this year and, of course, fit in the DCC RPG tourney.

Anyone have any favorite events or pet projects to recommend? Going to go ahead and disappoint you all by saying up front that I have no interest in the auction.

I’m running the tournament! Good luck!

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

fidgit posted:

I’m running the tournament! Good luck!

Whoa! Running as one of the judges or running the whole thing? I'll stop by and say hi if I can figure out who you are.

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

Bruxism posted:

Whoa! Running as one of the judges or running the whole thing? I'll stop by and say hi if I can figure out who you are.

Both. I’m one of the 3 tournament coordinators and I’m running a table for rounds 1 & 2.

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word
Our Airbnb just now cancelled on us and they're trying to get us to officially cancel the stay with the site, presumably as some kind of scam.

I knew not getting a hotel room was a bad idea

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Anti-Bunny posted:

Our Airbnb just now cancelled on us and they're trying to get us to officially cancel the stay with the site, presumably as some kind of scam.

They likely didnt know that gencon was happening and they want to relist for a higher rate or something for someone last minute, they can’t do that unless you officially cancel (cause airbnb won’t let them cancel it unless they also blackout the dates for everyone)

Tell them you are gonna get airbnb support involved unless they let you stay, do not cancel your reservation. You might be hosed anyway if they decide to be spiteful, but you can at least get them back by forcing them to do it

Fellis fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 28, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yup 99% chance they want to relist at higher rates. Be sure to video everything on checkout so they can't try to claim any extra fees or something.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Anti-Bunny posted:

Yeah, this definitely sucks and is one of the main reasons I don't think I'd use airbnb for Gen Con unless I had no other option. As others have said, don't officially cancel the booking. If they're going to screw you the least you can do is screw them back.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
gently caress AirB&B forever, and yes, do that

It once took my travel partner two weeks to get a refund after the town flooded where we were renting a cabin, with 2' of standing water in the building. And I am positive she only succeeded because she is a lawyer and I suspect she started using some Scary Words

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I have a bunch of games I to dump and I didn't do the math trade this year, so if anyone wants any of the following give me an offer and I'll bring it next week:

Root (with all expansions except coop, premium sleeves on all cards)

Ra deluxe edition - the new one from KS
Dominant Species
A Feast for Odin
(with Norwegs and Island pack #1)
Tragedy Looper
A Game of Thrones
Blood Rage
(with Gods expansion and a wooden organizer, painted minis except for gods)
Galaxy Trucker with Big, Another Big, and New Models expacs
Undaunted Normandy
Race for the Galaxy
with first 3 expansions (no takeovers), dragonshield sleeves
March of the Ants
Psychic Pizza Deliverers Go to the Ghost Town
Unmatched
Cobble and Fog (sealed)
Beyond the Sun (sealed)
Spirit Island (base game)

Marvel Champions (sealed)
Gloomhaven with solo scenarios and metal coins
Flamme Rouge with Peloton xpac
Reef Encounter
Imperium
Legends/Classics
Neuland
Battlelore 2nd
edition complete all xpacs

I also have a lot of Dungeon Crawl Classics stuff if anyone is interested in that

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 29, 2023

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Three sleeps until I'm in Indy

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Same. Normally I’d be clawing my eyes out right now but with kids the time is actually passing pretty quickly.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
GEN CON

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
You might see me and my bros walking around promoting our game but, drat, booths are expensive.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

What's the game?

GEN CON

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
Neon Blues! It's a TTRPG we designed to play in-between campaigns of other, crunchier games. We also tweaked it to be approachable for the people in our lives who were TTRPG-curious, but intimidated by the rulesets of DnD and the like. It's been a hit at smaller cons where we can get booths. We sold out of our first two physical prints, so we're doing a Kickstarter for a larger, expanded collection of everything we've made for it so far and some extra goodies.

The setting is a never-ending city in a retro-futuristic world. Think a Cary Grant gangster flick but with flying cars or a Jazz-age Blade Runner and you're on the right track

GEN CON

Edited for GEN CON

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

drat but San Diego's airport is a shambles right now.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Other than driving through a storm last night to get here the trip was easy and I'm in Indy! GEN CON!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Godspeed you! Gen Con attendees. I'm hoping I can get back sometime. Maybe next year.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
They say children have been born and grow old and die in the Island Noodles line
GEN CON

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
CONNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

I am glad to hear Island Noodles has its usual huge line as the Block Party feels like it is on another planet this year

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If GenCon debuts are at all indicative, I expect Lorcana cards to replace all global currencies within the next three months.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Anyone getting to play the Daggerheart demo? Would love to hear more about it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

SonOfGhostDad posted:

They say children have been born and grow old and die in the Island Noodles line
GEN CON

Those noodles must be goddamn amazing but I'll never no for sure because of that loving line.

The hotbox official Gen Con pizza is pretty good this year.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Post all the good high complexity gencon games so I can live vicariously through you

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

8one6 posted:

Those noodles must be goddamn amazing but I'll never no for sure because of that loving line.

The hotbox official Gen Con pizza is pretty good this year.
I got them once and have never felt the need to Line again. It’s noodles. They’re good.

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I got them once and have never felt the need to Line again. It’s noodles. They’re good.
Haven’t checked them out this year but the last two years the wait didn’t feel bad. The line moves sooooo much faster than the food trucks and you get you food as soon as you pay. I feel like I’ve waited much longer at some of the food trucks.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
The line was all the way back to the salad truck when I joined and I got through it in about twenty minutes. It just sucked standing in the sun. might order Jimmy John's to the table while I'm running tomorrow

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pro move is to walk down Georgia to Hot Box pizza and get the Heavy Veggie, which is half off this week.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Inaction Jackson posted:

Haven’t checked them out this year but the last two years the wait didn’t feel bad. The line moves sooooo much faster than the food trucks and you get you food as soon as you pay. I feel like I’ve waited much longer at some of the food trucks.

This. The line is a deceit, they're my 'I need food now' option

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Found a hidden restaurant right next to St. Elmo's, to the north, Spoke & Steele. It's in the lobby of the hotel, brunch was 10-20 a person.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I don’t have a keyboard so I’m not gonna do a full write up now, but Cabin of the Cackling Man is the most unique escape room I’ve done in years. If you like escape rooms and you somehow have a hole in your schedule and they’re not sold out, try them. There’s one puzzle that’s way too finicky for its own good but the experience is worth it.

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Fate Accomplice posted:

Post all the good high complexity gencon games so I can live vicariously through you

My friend, have you tried Spirit Island? Very good, and as complex as you want it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

So who stole a $300k pallet of cards on Wednesday? Fess up!