Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Al-Saqr posted:

So how good is Gencon for Warhammer 40k and kill team? I might end up going to england for warhammer fest but america is a very rare trip for me so if I end up going I want to make it include one gaming convention for fun.

Here are all the official events from GW last year and it looks like there were a few non-official Apocalypse and skirmish games.

https://gencon.eventdb.us/groupCompany.php?Group=Games+Workshop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
WOO GENCON

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Dr. Quarex posted:

I literally cannot imagine what a vegetarian even does during Gen-Con other than bring food from home

I guess vegans would have an even bigger problem, as I have had just pasta and cheese a few times. Though most of those places are gone, too

Garlic bread from Giordano's? More seriously, Island Noodle's options are 'With chicken' or 'Without chicken'!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, a first timer friend sought out a few restaurants in Indy and proposed hitting them up but I had to tell them 'This is a nice idea but I'm not taking two hours out of my Gencon time to eat somewhere.'

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I consider Island Noodles to be walking food as well. I've dropped by, gotten my noods, and eaten them while on my way to events at the Marriot(s) to really save some time and get something in my belly.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Well, we're hosed. I've got the earliest time in my group and that is loving dire as my best time in almost a decade has been 1:45pm.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

nesbit37 posted:

Historically speaking 145 isn’t terrible. Usually downtown hotels hold out till roughly 2pm. We’ll see if that holds true for this year.

Yeah but this year I have the earliest time of 2:59pm lol

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Welp, that was brutal.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Oh poo poo, my 20th Forumsversary will be Thursday at Gen Con 2024.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Bruxism posted:

After rolling schedule open last year, I'm trying to book a few more events this year. Trying to get in some RPGs I kick-started but haven't been able to play and try out a few boardgames I don't feel like buying. Also trying to do Math Trade this year and, of course, fit in the DCC RPG tourney.

Anyone have any favorite events or pet projects to recommend? Going to go ahead and disappoint you all by saying up front that I have no interest in the auction.

I always look forward to Corvus Belli's seminar but that's because I play Infinity a lot. I do try to find a DCC level 0 funnel just to see how many dirt farmers I can get killed.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, there's a seminar on Saturday at 11 that I really want to attend but it just shoots any other plans for Saturday morning right down. C'est la vie!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
There were definitely tens of thousands of people hitting a button at the same instant. My group got anywhere from 960 to 11000 and we all hit the button at noon.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Oh! Honestly this is the first year I've been able to hit the button since the pando. I work nights so GenCon tells me to go gently caress myself by scheduling every important thing at noon.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
gently caress YES, the Gencon Hotels site paid off and my group are now all Skywalk connected, wooo! GENCON BABY!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I'm sure an insane South African billionaire would say that'd be a snap.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Had my first Gencon nightmare, can't wait for next week!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
What's the game?

GEN CON

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Inaction Jackson posted:

Haven’t checked them out this year but the last two years the wait didn’t feel bad. The line moves sooooo much faster than the food trucks and you get you food as soon as you pay. I feel like I’ve waited much longer at some of the food trucks.

This. The line is a deceit, they're my 'I need food now' option

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
So who stole a $300k pallet of cards on Wednesday? Fess up!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Apparently it was for the MTG prize wall?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Selling out of 4-Days and Saturday badges doesn't happen every year, right? I mean, the last couple years have been weird and it obviously did for the 50th Anniversary but I can't recall other years before that.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
GC 2024 was pretty fun and I'll echo everyone else; where the gently caress did all these people come from?

My game group felt more or less the same way and everyone was mentioning the huge crowds and large lines. Lorcana, of course, was a topic of conversation and there was a lot of comparison between PAX and Gen Con culture. Overall though it felt like a return to the spirit of things pre-pandemic.

Highlights: I played a couple fun RPG sessions, did a couple fun demos, spent a lot of time in the vendor hall but not as much money as I budgeted. Nothing really grabbed me this year as a Must Have game or product but I did get some things at the Consignment store! I think next year I'm going to spend a lot more time there and bring some stuff to sell.

Lowlights: A friend I've known for a few years came along this year and shared my room at the Crowne Plaza. We've been to a couple PAX cons together in the past and always had a good time so, Gen Con, right? But I hosed up and I don't think I explained the point of Gen Con well enough as they basically just stuck with me the entire weekend unless I was at a ticketed event. I'm pretty introverted by nature and not having a chance to decompress made me pretty quiet and withdrawn by Saturday morning. They're already talking about GC '24 and I think I need to have an uncomfortable conversation with them.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

nesbit37 posted:

Out of curiosity, how are PAX cons different for you with this person if you're fine with their behavior there? Or are you all separated so much due to all the time you have to spend in separate lines or something?

My PAX experiences (which have been South and Unplugged, if it matters) have definitely been more 'We all get together and hang out' (whether that's in lines, at panels, free play areas, whatever) as PAX definitely isn't as structured as Gen Con. The big difference is that we had a much, much bigger friend group at PAX so it was way easier to slip away when there were a couple dozen people all hanging out. I couldn't do that with a group of two. I'll get it figured out by next year, I just feel bad I didn't clearly set my boundaries very well.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
So have the Pinkertons done their thing yet then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Time to find out. GenCon thieves apprehended.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/l...vrpymyuizo5y0re