Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Scrolling down your OP, when I got to the part about "these are things from old Gen Con that will be back" I was expecting pictures of people passed out on floors.

To anyone new, that's another fun game of the con, finding people who just couldn't go forward anymore. (It doesn't really count if they're in a chair or something; they gotta be just like face down on the floor.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Primanti's is good, but was only there for one con, I think.

I went to Nevermore last year, and between how that went and what reviews are looking like now; I don't see them sticking around very long.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I have still never had Island Noodles. The line goes on for days, and people say “but if moves fast”. Yeah, but I can probably get a table at a restaurant (or like at a hotel bar) and still be done by my next event. Or the food truck nobody else wants to go to.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

nesbit37 posted:

How do you feel about the whole note being able to require the other people playing at your table to wear a mask thing if your masking as a judge?

I never run my own events, but if you put in your event description "masks are kindly requested" and you have a box of disposables at the table and someone buys a ticket and throws a tantrum that you can't make them put it on, then I guess whatever - take their money. If all the other ticket buyers aren't comfortable playing with someone who isn't masked, then I guess cancel their ticket and let them get a refund?

I'd like to think that the people most adamant about not wearing a mask won't sign up for events that ask you to wear one, but most people don't read event descriptions at all (as evidenced by the people who show up to events with "materials not provided" or "Experience Required" expecting to be taught a game).

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

So I've been thinking about Gen Con, and while I don't run "actual" events, I'm going to run Blood on the Clocktower again this year, but I'm going to put some modicum of structure into it this time. (Don't worry, there aren't going to be like tickets or reservations or anything official like that, but I'll put out like a survey to see what sorts of nonsense people actually want to do and then maybe make a google doc for people to express interest in advance to play and/or storytell.)

One thing that I definitely want to try to do is some sort of "storytelling spectator mode" where the circle/town square is in one room, but then I go next door or something so I can explain what's happening and why for spectators. (Or let people provide input on the storytelling decisions, like what tokens go in the bag or what misinformation to give out. Sort of like a live-action twitch chat, but less bad.)

But yeah, I'll bring my grimoire, and I am absolutely willing to bring/write custom scripts if there are people willing to experience them potentially being terrible. (I can also bring custom scripts that are good.)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I get the question of “how do players know what’s up” but every year, there are tons of events listed where the “system” field just says something like “homebrew” so they definitely let people set up events with whatever they want.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

It's me, your thread/convention social deduction game shill. If you're not in the discord (get in the discord, nerd) or are in the discord but don't go into the spooky social deduction channel(s), here's a survey/poll I made about playing Blood on the Clocktower at Gen Con.

https://forms.gle/MNjdT8iKSRmFcka46

There's not gonna be like a strict schedule or anything (obviously), but if people overwhelmingly are like "nah, I don't wanna" for something, then I won't go hog wild in terms of finding/writing scripts to bring. I'm not gonna run the game like constantly (oh, but given the opportunity, I just might) but I'll pencil some games in for certain days/times and schedule certain scripts for certain times or there's more interest. (Or set one or more times up as the "pseudo-live action twitch streams" where I'll try to set up in a way where the storyteller (me and/or someone else if people wanna do it) can talk to spectators about what they're doing and why.)

In the discord, there's also a place for people to talk about running other sorts of "events". I know the con is pretty freeform, but for example, if you wanna play a game of Fiasco (and who doesn't?!) you can post something like "I think I wanna do that after groverlunch" and see if you have takers. (And also whoever wants to do like a magic cube draft can know that if there's an overlap in who wants to do those things, then they won't be able to do it at that time.)

Basically, building our own gen con events system inside of gen con, but with blackjack clocktower and hookers goons. A lot of the fun of the con is just finding what you can get up to at random times, but also, there's a lot going on and if you say "anyone wanna play [x] right now?" people are gonna be busy, but if you say "anyone wanna play [x] at like 8:00 tonight?" people will show up.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

djfooboo posted:

Yeah, I wasn’t overly impressed with any new releases. Sky Team was cute enough that we bought it, but nothing blew me away. There will never be another first year of Android Netrunner. Maybe chasing that high is foolish?

Lunar Rush looked good; not enough to make me want to buy it right then and there, but enough that I would want one of my friends to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Bottom Liner posted:

I mean, WotC sent the Pinkerton's to a dudes house earlier this year for daring to make a YouTube video about some cards he got early. This is pretty tame considering these dudes actually stole a bunch of stuff.

In this case, Wizards isn't the "victim", so they wouldn't even be able to do that. The cards were stolen from (presumably, since they run all the events at the con) Pastimes, who would have bought them all from Wizards, or possibly distributors.

Arguably, they weren't "victims" in the other scenario, either, but you know how IP owners are. :jerkbag: