Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

I prefer silent Isaac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Callisto Protocol really was some "we tried to make a Dead Space without understanding what made Dead Space so amazing" bullshit, which is astonishing considering the original game's lead designer was on the project. What a loving letdown.

I for some reason, with barely superficial information, assumed Callisto Protocol was made by the people who originally did Dead Space and the remake was a lazy 1:1 cash grab.

Loved Dead Space and am looking forward to wandering the Ishimura constantly on edge again. DS2 was definitely my favorite, the weapons were just so much fun. The laser trip mines would one shot the baby tentacle things and just loved blasting some dickhead necromorph with the rivet gun and exploding them.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

It's weird thinking back on dead space, because at the time I pretty much felt that it was a glossy big budget horror that didn't have the creeping dread that made a Resident Evil or Silent Hill so effective. And of course that's now the exact place Callisto Protocol is finding itself, when compared to Dead Space.

Two solid 8/10 to 9/10 games is still a pretty good track record though, but the series as a whole is honestly probably lucky it ended on the mother of all despairing and apocalyptic cliff hangers, because that's the perfect tone for a sci-fi horror and has probably helped improve the franchise in our memories.

My thing with the cliff hanger was never that it was a thing of despair, it was that yeah a bunch of moon sized objects are attacking earth and that's fantastic because a central element of this franchise was the big haunted space ship whats job is rip a massive loving chunk out entire planets. I was gonna get to kinesis mod one mother of all meatballs into another! and then it all went down the turlet...

Okay, well I guess it was slightly a despair thing.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

mexi posted:

I for some reason, with barely superficial information, assumed Callisto Protocol was made by the people who originally did Dead Space and the remake was a lazy 1:1 cash grab.

Glen Schofeld was the director for both Dead Space 1 and Callisto and a lot of the press was drawing comparisons between TCP and Dead Space based on Schofeld's involvement (and the obvious similarities between the two). Of course, once TCP came out to lackluster reception, the knives came out and people on Twitter were pointing out that Schofeld was pretty much the only person who had worked on Dead Space and TCP. None of the art, narrative, or gameplay design people from Visceral came with.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Dead Space 1 was also a major cause of the "maybe we should stop doing bosses" dialogue of that age, due to how terrible and videogamey they were. They mostly learned their lesson for DS2, but the weird end sequence was apparently added after all the playtesters kept asking when the final boss was going to be added.

Thankfully I think we've reached a place of synthesis where developers ask themselves if bosses actually work in the game they've made, rather than feeling like it's an obligation.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Leviathan fight was really sick, having to dive to opposite sides of the room to avoid its sweeping tentacles and all. It's actually kind of a shame it wouldn't work and will need restructuring with the Dead Space 2/3 zero-g movement.

edit: Also Dead Space 3 has a way better hive mind fight in the form of the Nexus and it's not just because it scares off Elton John Danik! Thing's got moves!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 26, 2023

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
New game+ info

https://twitter.com/deadspace/status/1618378621386911746?s=20&t=gRngTXYfYbra1hPSm3Ve4Q

I hope "Phantom variant" doesn't just mean invisible

RatHat fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 26, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Would be so cool if the Advanced Suit is some kinda like cool in universe prototype of the Dead Space 2 version. Maybe closer to the console exclusive astronaut suit that kicks all kinds of rear end:

Dead Space 1 holds up so well visually, the lighting and vfx do wonders for it. It's all the hard-angled walls and rooms that cast really stark lights doing the gruntwork I think. Reminds me of FEAR.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am very excited to chop zombies with lasers

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.

RatHat posted:

New game+ info

https://twitter.com/deadspace/status/1618378621386911746?s=20&t=gRngTXYfYbra1hPSm3Ve4Q

I hope "Phantom variant" doesn't just mean invisible

They’ll look like the invisible pinkies in Doom

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Necromorphs wearing half masks and playing spooky organs to really emphasize the vibes

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
IGN review is out for the remake, they gave it a 9. IGN can give some inflated scores at times but that at least signals it's not going to be another Callisto Protocol situation.

e: More videos coming out from people who got review codes early, seems like universal praise.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 26, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Metacritic is holding at an 89 with 50 reviews, seems like a good sign.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/dead-space?ref=hp

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Man, 10 years really covered up the memories of how much baby rear end you gotta kick in space.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The first game was a little gentle about it since (most of) the babies were vat grown clones for organs.

Second game: suicide bombing babies in the kindergarten while toddler swarm you

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

Dead Space is a god drat good series.

I don't believe you.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Bug Squash posted:

The first game was a little gentle about it since (most of) the babies were vat grown clones for organs.

Second game: suicide bombing babies in the kindergarten while toddler swarm you

The hosed up thing is that's just what kindergarten is like every day in the Dead Space universe

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 26, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

mexi posted:

Same here. Then I looked into it (after the fact) and it turns out that "made by the guys who made Dead Space" meant "Glen Schofield's here". Just looking at how Calisto Protocol turned out, it's extremely obvious that none of the other DS leads were involved. Oh well, but at least we're getting a supposedly good remake tomorrow.

Now I just need to decide between Xbox and PlayStation. Apparently the PS5 version has DualSense effects which is always a big plus.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is my favorite Dead Space Remake review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3VQ-fuRugQ

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently impossible difficulty disables saving and you go back to the beginning if you die. Guess I’m not getting this platinum

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Aw, lame. I was hoping there wouldn't be a Hardcore mode, Dead Space 3's 14 hour Ironman sucked even if the reward was really funny. Dead Space 2 at the very least gave you 3 save slots.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CJacobs posted:

Aw, lame. I was hoping there wouldn't be a Hardcore mode, Dead Space 3's 14 hour Ironman sucked even if the reward was really funny. Dead Space 2 at the very least gave you 3 save slots.

Didn’t DS2 and 3 give you a foam finger and a unicorn blaster or something?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Same here. Then I looked into it (after the fact) and it turns out that "made by the guys who made Dead Space" meant "Glen Schofield's here". Just looking at how Calisto Protocol turned out, it's extremely obvious that none of the other DS leads were involved. Oh well, but at least we're getting a supposedly good remake tomorrow.

According to Wikipedia there was just than just Schofield.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RatHat posted:

Apparently impossible difficulty disables saving and you go back to the beginning if you die. Guess I’m not getting this platinum

So the way this works is autosave is turned off but you can save at save points as much as you want. If you die all your save files are demoted to Hard(so you can continue that playthrough if you want but your Impossible run is gone). Since you do have save files you can pause and reload a save if you think you’re about to die, or even if a fight went terribly and you wasted a bunch of resources. You can also potentially cheese it by backing up saves.
By the way for beating Impossible you get a suit skin and the “hand gun”(I assume this is the foam hand from DS2 and 3)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Xenomrph posted:

Didn’t DS2 and 3 give you a foam finger and a unicorn blaster or something?

:yeah:

BANG BANG PEW PEW

RatHat posted:

So the way this works is autosave is turned off but you can save at save points as much as you want. If you die all your save files are demoted to Hard(so you can continue that playthrough if you want but your Impossible run is gone). Since you do have save files you can pause and reload a save if you think you’re about to die, or even if a fight went terribly and you wasted a bunch of resources. You can also potentially cheese it by backing up saves.
By the way for beating Impossible you get a suit skin and the “hand gun”(I assume this is the foam hand from DS2 and 3)

Boy they really really are just making Dead Space 2 2023 with this haha. This sounds much more reasonable and much less original! I've seen so many reviews misremember you don't have to stomp a drat thing in DS1, you have telekinesis that can pick up the boxes and the necromorphs used to drop ammo without needing a stomp!

edit: Shuddering at all the players who stomped twice to destroy crates instead of picking them up with kinesis to throw one at the other

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 26, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm hoping the special upgrade for Isaac himself adds cleats to his boots so you can stasis and run over to stomp as a way to attack like you can in future games.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CJacobs posted:

Boy they really really are just remaking Dead Space 2 with this haha. This sounds much more reasonable and much less original! I've seen so many reviews misremember you don't have to stomp a drat thing in DS1, you have telekinesis that can pick up the boxes and the necromorphs used to drop ammo without needing a stomp!

Unless I'm remembering wrong you couldn't use slasher arms as kinesis projectiles in the original either. Sad to see the sprinkler-head pulse gun alt-fire being replaced with a version of the DS2 grenade but it makes sense considering it was almost completely useless. Interested to see the other weapon changes, the contact beam and force gun both appear to have been heavily redesigned as well.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Stomping crates in DS1 was good because it insta splattered the trapped little swarm boxes instead of spreading them out all over the next wall where you then have to waste ammo killing them before they climb all over you

also it was fun, DS1 rules

edit: i wonder if the remake includes the little spoilery way to detect compromised boxes, actually, that was a cool touch in the original

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah the changes they've made to start off the series more in the middle of its run make sense! And the original game is still there and holds up impeccably well.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don’t stomp because I must, I stomp because I can

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RatHat posted:

I don’t stomp because I must, I stomp because I can

This is the exact reason stomping was so cool and making you stomp every single enemy in Dead Space 2 and 3 to get the item got a little tiring. It is still a great mechanic though.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

This is my favorite Dead Space Remake review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3VQ-fuRugQ

Her opinion has always been trustworthy. I wasn't really on board with a remake, but I'm convinced at this point. Now hopefully I can actually run the thing.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Flubby posted:

Her opinion has always been trustworthy. I wasn't really on board with a remake, but I'm convinced at this point. Now hopefully I can actually run the thing.

Reviews from people playing it in PC make it sound like they did a great job of optimizing everything. You'll probably need a 3000-series card or AMD equivalent to max everything out but I would expect it to scale well on older hardware.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Heh, remember the USM Valor, and how those 70 space Marines, loaded for war and warned of a biological threat, all died to a single Slasher (the type that Isaac had killed by the hundred at that point?)

I wonder if the remake will do anything with that plot point. I remember nerds on the internet spending way too much time arguing about that in 2008.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 27, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

HenryEx posted:

edit: i wonder if the remake includes the little spoilery way to detect compromised boxes, actually, that was a cool touch in the original

What was this?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

William Bear posted:

Heh, remember the USM Valor, and how those 70 space Marines, loaded for war and warned of a biological threat, all died to a single Slasher (the type that Isaac had killed by the hundred at that point?)

I wonder if the remake will do anything with that plot point. I remember nerds on the internet spending way too much time arguing about that in 2008.

I saw a YouTube video that broke down a hypothetical chain of events of how that 1 Slasher could have taken down the whole ship.

It’s hard to recommend the video because the narrator’s voice has an awful “artificially dramatic” cadence to it and he’s pretty full of himself and up his own rear end, which is a shame because if it weren’t for his narration and lack of visual creativity, his stuff is pretty decent.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Not to keep dragging the other game into this thread, but Schofield also brought the leads for sound design, music, as well as a bunch of art and scripting dudes over too.

The DS1 combat and level designers weren’t involved, but quite a few DS alumni were on the Callisto team.

Anyway, excited to jump into the remake.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Xenomrph posted:

I saw a YouTube video that broke down a hypothetical chain of events of how that 1 Slasher could have taken down the whole ship.

It’s hard to recommend the video because the narrator’s voice has an awful “artificially dramatic” cadence to it and he’s pretty full of himself and up his own rear end, which is a shame because if it weren’t for his narration and lack of visual creativity, his stuff is pretty decent.

Unsure if this video mentions it, but there is a 'real' plot hole, in that in Dead Space 1 only Infectors are able to transform people unless they get glommed by corruption. It's a huge plot point in Extraction, it's how the infection spread to the Ishimura. Later they changed it but they didn't have to imo. Dead Space 3 demonstrates in a side mission however that the necromorophs 'know' how to disable systems like life support and in 2 you can see them ripping apart electronics, they actively do it to you mid-mission, so along the way they did make it feasible without changing necromorph biology.

edit: That stuff is genuinely so cool to me. I love how 3's necromorphs are all mummified and aged, but out in space you can find a perfectly preserved necromorph clinging onto a chunk of ship and it's still all meaty and horrid. Still alive and screaming for like 200 years.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 27, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CJacobs posted:

Unsure if this video mentions it, but there is a 'real' plot hole, in that in Dead Space 1 only Infectors are able to transform people unless they get glommed by corruption. It's a huge plot point in Extraction, it's how the infection spread to the Ishimura. Later they changed it but they didn't have to imo. Dead Space 3 demonstrates in a side mission however that the necromorophs 'know' how to disable systems like life support and in 2 you can see them ripping apart electronics, they actively do it to you mid-mission, so along the way they did make it feasible without changing necromorph biology.

edit: That stuff is genuinely so cool to me. I love how 3's necromorphs are all mummified and aged, but out in space you can find a perfectly preserved necromorph clinging onto a chunk of ship and it's still all meaty and horrid. Still alive and screaming for like 200 years.
The video takes the route that Marker proximity can reanimate corpses spontaneously, so the one Slasher takes a bunch of people out who get reanimated by the Marker and take more people out.

Edit-- I did it, I canceled my digital preorder and bought the crazy expensive collector's edition. Looks like I don't get to play the game tomorrow, but I should be able to play it... soon.

Edit again-- I'll be adding it to the OP, but for anyone who didn't play the mobile game, here's the APK file which you should be able to load onto Android devices. In theory you should be able to play it on PC using BlueStacks or some APK player, but I haven't been successful yet.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 27, 2023

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Xenomrph posted:

The video takes the route that Marker proximity can reanimate corpses spontaneously, so the one Slasher takes a bunch of people out who get reanimated by the Marker and take more people out.

Edit-- I did it, I canceled my digital preorder and bought the crazy expensive collector's edition. Looks like I don't get to play the game tomorrow, but I should be able to play it... soon.

I think I also read once that, in the original script, Hammond locked an Infector, not a Slasher, in the escape pod, and they just never changed anything else.

Anyway, the whole Dead Space series takes a dim view of how soldiers fare against xenomorphs. Remember Tiedemann's TWO HUNDRED. ARMED. SECURITY PERSONNEL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Ellie casually one shotting around a dozen Necromorphs that one time while covering the complete load that is Stross comes to mind.

For that matter, so does the long periods of time the completely unarmed and wildly hallucinating Stross spends wandering around never getting mulched despite everyone but Isaac wanting his rear end dead for most of the game.