Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

webmeister posted:

I come from a country with strong unions and labour laws (even more true in the 80s) so maybe it's different and nobody actually cared.

yeah- kind of the inverse here, in that unions are currently somewhat weak and labor laws either are somewhat adequate or totally suck (depending on state/municipal law), but they were waaaay worse under Reagan/Bush Sr, when there was an all-out assault on the american labor movement

1989 is- probably the most likely recent year for something like this to happen in the united states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I'm pretty sure she's actually already said it in an earlier episode? I remember doing the Leo point at the screen when it happened!

I only recall the young lady in the theatre episode saying that while blackmailing her costars

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Another exceptional episode. One hundred years Charlie Cale

i am 30 or 40 years old and i do need this

its nice to see an adult around my age playing a character believably around my age, and not the way many shows have portrayed ppl born after 1980 as tall, bold children, or, written like how adults were thirty years ago
she's a resilient, kind, gregarious, perceptive fried-hot mess of a person with a sense of justice that causes trouble, and oof if that ain't the zeitgeist mood of the currently newly middle-aged imo/ime

this episode might be my fave so far, and when she meets the snow hunk and unwinds enough to have a lil fling on this leg of her hobo's journey?? like- yes! charlie!! you have earned this vacation! folks, u love to see it, kind of a moment- and that initial relief definitely made the trials of the rest of the episode feel more emotionally stark and impactful; masterful work

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

charlie's surprised laugh when she sees 'jane doe' on her wrist bracelet is EVERYTHING; amazing moment, love that for her

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

its a talisman, the penis ring is symbolic of a guiding light/protective ward, and its shaped like a penis because that will draw the attention of half of the audience (men)
i do not think you are meant to read this show as a 1:1 simulation of reality

finale was emotionally devastating, and then restorative, 5/5 television, and then it ended in a coors light commercial? what

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I think it makes sense for her to have that power as a v open and willing to be vulnerable kind of person, who sees the best in others etc- she's early middle aged, in her 30s, right? you don't survive that long with a spring in your step like that *without* a decent bullshit detector. She's an exaggeration of lots of little traits that I think a lot of median adults (that I'm wagering means about our age) exhibit: we're nicer than our ancestors, more trusting, more traumatized, more resilient, more tolerant, more hosed over-

idk there seems to be something important about Charlie Cale as a character, in the current culture- lol idk, it's like- this is the first tv character that makes me feel generationally seen as an adult, and they're showing her persevering over and over despite all odds. And that rules, kinda need that right now tbh

skeleton warrior posted:

Can’t wait for season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Natasha Lyonne is forty‐three.

I don’t know if we’ve gotten anything to suggest that Charlie Cale is older or younger.

ok yah I presumed she was regular-aged (1978~84)