Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Apparently the ARX-06 never ran more than 5 consecutive hours prior to the event. The V6 in the Acura is good - too bad it won’t be seen in Indycar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NHRA Division 2 will be running the first event of the NHRA season~ Starts Friday 0800 EST.

the dragsters are back baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYg21fW-DP4

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Bathurst 12 hour is on this weekend with a far wider field than we've seen since 2020. Rossi is also attending driving a pro class M4GT3 for wrt with farfus and and martin as co drivers.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's not exactly subtle they're gonna jam Rossi in the hypercar as soon as they can get away with it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dudley posted:

It's not exactly subtle they're gonna jam Rossi in the hypercar as soon as they can get away with it.

I wonder if he will fare better than fenderbender as a corporate mascotte.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

How much 4 wheel stuff has Rossi done? I remember him dipping his toes in GT3s about 10 years ago

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

spaceblancmange posted:

How much 4 wheel stuff has Rossi done? I remember him dipping his toes in GT3s about 10 years ago

He did GT World Challenge Europe last year and was solidly okay at it

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
He got to go out in one of the bronze driver practice sessions today and for a first trip to the mountain did solidly well with a 2:05 topping the time sheet for the session. Somehow think he'll go alright come race day

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah he was full time in GT3 all year (and bits while he was still in bikes). The FIA call him a silver so a very good option for a P2 team this year especially if BMW are dropping a few bucks because he'd be bank in an LMDh.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I thought they called him a gold last year, he was in the all-pro class

Edit: Wow yeah he was silver or they bumped him to silver this year

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 3, 2023

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

He was silver last year too it seems but they're not gonna stop you being Pro if you want to be I guess.

Maybe he didn't want to be seen losing as an "Am".

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Well if qualifying is anything to go by Maro engels dipped below the 2:01 second mark to score pole. I don't remember the cars cutting a lap that fast previously. Rossi's car is back in 5th but it's a long old race so we'll see what shakes out

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

spaceblancmange posted:

He also did some rally stuff, with a handful of WRC session in 2017 i think.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Before the safety car came out Rossi was holding onto a credible 3rd a second slower a lap than the cars in front of him

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bathurst 12 Hour is almost 1/3 of the way done:

https://www.youtube.com/live/yfS3OXbrpdU

After seeing the Rossi BMW, I’m now convinced that the ACO/FIA changed the rules about car number fonts a couple years back anticipating a need to incorporate that 46 in future years.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

harperdc posted:

Bathurst 12 Hour is almost 1/3 of the way done:

https://www.youtube.com/live/yfS3OXbrpdU

After seeing the Rossi BMW, I’m now convinced that the ACO/FIA changed the rules about car number fonts a couple years back anticipating a need to incorporate that 46 in future years.

Yeah I hadn't noticed till you pointed it out but I still kinda fits the themes of the other cars number boards. It still has the correct top and bottom sections on the numbers

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Before the safety car came out Rossi was holding onto a credible 3rd a second slower a lap than the cars in front of him

A second a lap slower than professional GT3 drivers and Australians who have raced Bathurst before is loving quick.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

drat it, I forgot about Bathurst!

The run down from the top of the track with the dips on the inside is just.. pwoah!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

drat it, I forgot about Bathurst!

The run down from the top of the track with the dips on the inside is just.. pwoah!

Its scary enough in a normal road car doing the speed limit of 60km/h cause the whole run is blind. In saying that though it does flow very nicely

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Its scary enough in a normal road car doing the speed limit of 60km/h cause the whole run is blind. In saying that though it does flow very nicely
Just caught the whole section from the inside of the #912 Porsche currently at P3, and even while he was conserving fuel it was nothing short of utterly nuts.

Also lol at the #101 AMG Merceres flapping its hood. :haw:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 5, 2023

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
and the rossi car is out of contention after having to spend time cleaning the oil off the tail lights

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao I love Sportscar racing

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

algebra testes posted:

Lmao I love Sportscar racing
:yeah:

Been listening to the last hour and just got to screen in time to see that, lol

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lol lmao

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Maro can't have a massive sook about SVG this time

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"I'm going to reach into the cliches drawer... catching is one thing, overtaking is another."

"I wasn't sure we had any left."

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I got back from the shops just in time to see that happen. Now to see if Campbell can pull off one of his overtaking specials

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Yeah, given he's racing the literal best there that's what BMW want to see. Still expecting LMP2 this year at LeMans, BMW Hypercar Drive next.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Yeah, given he's racing the literal best there that's what BMW want to see. Still expecting LMP2 this year at LeMans, BMW Hypercar Drive next.

Would not be surprised if one of the two WEC BMW Hypercars for next year has a fluorescent yellow 46 on it. Rossi is a draw, and isn’t making GBS threads it up too badly in the car either.

I’ll try to fill out the OPs a bit more soon, it’s still early in the year but sports car world, WRC and Formula E are all getting going. Racing doesn’t stop!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Next up in the ICGT championship is the Kyalami 9 hour which despite being 2 weeks away has gently caress all info for. I'm sure the same sorts of drivers that where kicking around bathurst will be in attendance.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Would not be surprised if one of the two WEC BMW Hypercars for next year has a fluorescent yellow 46 on it. Rossi is a draw, and isn’t making GBS threads it up too badly in the car either.

I’ll try to fill out the OPs a bit more soon, it’s still early in the year but sports car world, WRC and Formula E are all getting going. Racing doesn’t stop!

I think it's a near certainty, even if it takes a tiny bit of performance out of the car, he's bank and they would presumably have at least one other car in the race. If you're racing for publicity, Rossi it up, you see how it worked at Bathurst.

He just needs to get close enough and the 12hr was promising on that score.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

What is Rossi's FIA driver ranking? Silver? If it is he's definitely someone BMW is going to be interested in keeping, since he's legitimately fast and also fills their lower ranked driver slot in a Pro-Am set up.

However he can only pull that off for this year I think. Once you have 3 years of full time racing you go up to Gold ranking and this is his 2nd year of 4 wheel racing.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Yeah, Rossi is currently silver.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

orange juche posted:

What is Rossi's FIA driver ranking? Silver? If it is he's definitely someone BMW is going to be interested in keeping, since he's legitimately fast and also fills their lower ranked driver slot in a Pro-Am set up.

However he can only pull that off for this year I think. Once you have 3 years of full time racing you go up to Gold ranking and this is his 2nd year of 4 wheel racing.

He's also quick enough but he only really needs it this year, it won't matter in a hypercar.

And of course as you say a silver that quick is going to have a lot of LMP2 teams on the phone, he pays for himself in merch.

The only possible clash I see is that the BMW is Dallara rather than Oreca based but surely that won't matter.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I get the feeling the record crowd numbers at Bathurst had a direct correlation to Rossi driving in the race. A mate who’s always been really into bike racing went out to see it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

There was a thing during the race when... I think it was Shae Adam said the entire Rossi merchandise stand was sold out by the end of the day before the race.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Apparently motorcycle racing in northern ireland won't be a thing this year

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-64591498

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

How do they propose to charge spectators to see road racing. Fine them if they stand in their garden?

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Sounds like they have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sick Week starts on Sunday, and already 2 of the top cars are broken.

Steve Morris broke his transmission on the dyno(after making over 3000hp) and Tom Bailey is having all sorts of turbo troubles.

There are a couple cars that could be in the 5s including a blown promod C1 Corvette and quite a few in the 6s.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 10, 2023