Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
There was a pretty hilarious Indycar race today, is there not even an Indycar 2023 thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Number_6 posted:

There was a pretty hilarious Indycar race today, is there not even an Indycar 2023 thread?

Thread is pretty fully moved to Discord now

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Indiecar 2023: So Indie We Don't Even Have A Thread

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Indiecar 2023: So Indie We Don't Even Have A Thread

lmao

Indiecar 2023: "You probably haven't heard of it"

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That actually was a thread title at one point a while back.

Yeah, I didn’t bother making a new one because there was basically zero traffic to it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hey it’s the gator nationals. Please watch.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

coconono posted:

Hey it’s the gator nationals. Please watch.

Are there any details on how/when to watch? Legit curious, but I’ve been out of the loop on drag racing for a while.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Here’s the tv schedules:
https://www.nhra.com/schedule/2023/nhra-camping-world-drag-racing-series/amalie-motor-oil-nhra-gatornationals#tab-event-schedule

You can also tune in via our NHRA.TV app which just relaunched and almost all of our divisional races are free to YouTube.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
There's an NHRA event fairly close to me in July. I've never been to one but I've heard it's incredible in person.

I take it I should go if I can?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Take some good ear plugs and yes! It basically like a county fair except the cars explode on purpose.

Despite working around motorsports including drag racing for years I never really got into any of it but I’ve learned to love drag racing’s nuances. These dudes will take a beat up Chevy Nova and figure out how long it takes to move it 1320ft down to the thousandths of a second. That’s top poo poo engineering.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

coconono posted:

Take some good ear plugs and yes! It basically like a county fair except the cars explode on purpose.

Double up even. Ear plugs and then muffs over it.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

Double up even. Ear plugs and then muffs over it.

Lol yeah that's what I was thinking too. No need to hear it all directly if you can feel it in your chest.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ferrari a very respectful 1 second off pace, Peugots still a joke. Porsche are in the mix.

Vanity cars are slower than P2s.

I cannot wait for next week.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Ferrari a very respectful 1 second off pace, Peugots still a joke. Porsche are in the mix.

Vanity cars are slower than P2s.

I cannot wait for next week.

would be funny if Ferrari are trying to sandbag lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

orange juche posted:

would be funny if Ferrari are trying to sandbag lol
Yeah, because that's definitely something they've never done before.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Is Peugeot’s concept as unusual/risky as Nissan’s one in the early hybrid days or are they just poo poo at developing the car?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I just realized Chadwick and Grosjean were crashed out in the same turn at st. Pete's. Andretti must be cursed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPAN93XbA5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iCHKWea7eU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Brass Hand posted:

Is Peugeot’s concept as unusual/risky as Nissan’s one in the early hybrid days or are they just poo poo at developing the car?

The only risky part is aero, the rest is incredibly conventional. They seem to be unable to properly develop it since every race is a mess for them, making a smaller team like glick able to provide more reliable results.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The other difference is there's BoP now so Peugeot just need to be in the general area whereas Nissan somehow thought they'd be quicker on merit.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

The other difference is there's BoP now so Peugeot just need to be in the general area whereas Nissan somehow thought they'd be quicker on merit.

In fairness, the Nissan I believe had its year of testing brought forward so they were racing right now. Don’t think they ever got the hybrid system working, and that was more than half the designed grunt for the thing.

Peugeot is just rebuilding a race team and developing a car, both from almost zero. Even Toyota took a couple years to get competent, never mind an outright challenge to Audi. Porsche is the outlier since they have so much institutional knowledge they could lean on that Peugeot just doesn’t have.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah Porsche is altering a Multimatic, the Peugeot is a clean sheet design.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Yeah Porsche is altering a Multimatic, the Peugeot is a clean sheet design.

I mean even comparing Peugeot now to Porsche building the 919 Hybrid. Porsche never lost their prototype guys, but Peugeot? Lord knows.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Long shot but is anyone else going to sebring?

It's my only guaranteed vacation every year.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://youtu.be/MTTL7YMIwYs

The new fia wec intro looks like it's out of one of those unity shovelware games.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yes but it still owns.

Reminds me I gotta resub to the package for video.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Yes but it still owns.

Reminds me I gotta resub to the package for video.

Lol, because it’s the WEC they don’t do anything easy.

• Open old app, get told need to download a new one
  • Try to logon with my old email/password, get told that doesn’t work, go to reset password
  • Password reset email says “actually this address isn’t registered, would you like to do that?”
  • Create a new account, EULA is in French, have to provide more data honestly than I’d like
  • At least purchasing the annual pass (on iPhone) is straightforward.

So yeah, they created a new app and it didn’t port over any of the account details. glad to see “the WEC app is a shambles” still holds true this year.

Thessaly
Nov 2, 2002
Caught a ride with the moon

iwentdoodie posted:

Long shot but is anyone else going to sebring?

It's my only guaranteed vacation every year.

Should be set up by this afternoon. Look for the checkered flag in pride colors.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Thessaly posted:

Should be set up by this afternoon. Look for the checkered flag in pride colors.

What turn?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Better go around drinking at every corner just to be sure

Edit: very mad I am stuck in class Friday and Saturday

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Thessaly posted:

Vague idea of where? I'm set up nearish 10 across from the tent. Blue GTI with a cargo rack. I knew this year was gonna be crazy but I didn't expect Wed crowd to look like a Friday morning.

I also have to go to the store once the rest of my people get here, as my tent has decided to become an automatic waterboarding station. I also did not pack any pants, and am freezing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Man I feel like I spent 2 weeks at the drag races. *checks notes* oh poo poo

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Apparently MSR got clapped by IMSA, and lost all winnings and their points, as well as picking up a 50k penalty. One of their engineers was apparently falsifying telemetry data somehow, and IMSA found out.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

orange juche posted:

Apparently MSR got clapped by IMSA, and lost all winnings and their points, as well as picking up a 50k penalty. One of their engineers was apparently falsifying telemetry data somehow, and IMSA found out.

Could’ve sworn I posted it here too but the news article here has the details.

Sounds like the engineer ‘responsible’ both lost his IMSA accreditation and also got turfed by MSR. Honda Performance sounded very mad about this.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Not *all* their championship points but they got put to the back in the championship, just behind the previous last place, and lost all their Michelin endurance cup points. So they're still in the hunt for the full season but in a hole. However that pretty much scuppers their endurance cup run, if they even cared about that.

Thessaly
Nov 2, 2002
Caught a ride with the moon
We’re in the paddock at the inside of turn 17.

Thessaly fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 16, 2023

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

harperdc posted:

Could’ve sworn I posted it here too but the news article here has the details.

Sounds like the engineer ‘responsible’ both lost his IMSA accreditation and also got turfed by MSR. Honda Performance sounded very mad about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-OrHpCcuGs

MP is reporting that he's pretty sure that at least 1-2 other teams were cheating tire pressures. Also, interestingly, he's saying that he's heard enough to report that a third party may have tipped off HPD about MSR's tire pressure tomfoolery.

That second bit is interesting. Who else knew, and when did they know?!?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

WindyMan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-OrHpCcuGs

MP is reporting that he's pretty sure that at least 1-2 other teams were cheating tire pressures. Also, interestingly, he's saying that he's heard enough to report that a third party may have tipped off HPD about MSR's tire pressure tomfoolery.

That second bit is interesting. Who else knew, and when did they know?!?

Possibly someone within the team (MSR) knew that it was breaking safety regulations, and tipped off HPD. IIRC, HPD informed IMSA of the safety violation once they found out, and IMSA took action by penalizing MSR. There'd be a very good reason why if the whistleblower was within the team they're not willing to reveal themselves.

Running below a minimum spec for your tire pressures can be dangerous as it greatly increases a chance of a blowout of one or more tires at speed, especially when you're talking about the high banks of Daytona. Sure you get more heat more quickly, but the stresses on the tire are different than a properly inflated one.

On the 2nd or 3rd team thing, MP is the first one i've heard say anything about it, so it will be very interesting to see what happens there. I am sure though that IMSA will be digging into teams data to find out what's going on to prevent this from happening again.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Thessaly posted:

We’re in the paddock at the inside of turn 17.

Gdi that's like a 5 mile walk

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

HPD? Supercar racing has a secret police?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

coconono posted:

HPD? Supercar racing has a secret police?

Honda Performance Development, their US motorsports division. The ones in charge of the IndyCar and IMSA programs.