Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

So is Motortrend+ worth it to watch the race in the USA? Or will there be better / free options with a VPN?

I'm fine with paying $5 for a month to watch the race, but don't want it to be a bullshit service like Peacock is for Indycar, with not having the side by side and just lovely elevator music in place of ads.

motortrend+ is fine, there are no commercials and the feed has always been very high quality and i've never had it cut out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It'll be interesting to see whether it can last 24 hours; Garage 56 doesn't usually have a good track record, even if it isn't a car that's designed to run for about an hour in its top gear, which suddenly has to use all the gears.

Don't forget the headlights!

Also, they didn't add airjacks for raising the car when it's in for a full-service pitstop - which is baffling to me.
I know they're technically not competing, but there's on the order of 30 pitstops during a race, and with a third to a fourth of them being full-service that last at least a minute for some of the most efficient teams, there's a lot of time to be saved.

It might be conceivable that they lose out to a top GTE Am team simply on pit strategy alone.

according to the commentators, the aco specifically asked them not to add air jacks and to fully commit to nascar-style pit stops (mimus fuel can for obvious safety reasons)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Red Letter Media Le Mans commentary?

how will mike tie le mans into star trek

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i hope rockenfeller is starting the nascar car or that thing is gonna last all of half a lap

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Custard Undies posted:

I'm so hyped! Love this race so much!

it's my favorite race and this one looks like it'll be the best one in years

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this race fukken slaps

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

86 were the class leaders, with them wrecking, IRON DAMES ARE LEADING GTE

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Powershift posted:

I gave in and paid $5 for a month of plus, there's no commercials on the stream but the race has been yellow for a long rear end time so they're obviously going to be looking for other stuff to fill it.

yeah motortrend+'s coverage is great and they have a bunch of extra streams that are very cool

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i know it is still early but iron dames are having the kind of run they deserve, they're always fast but usually get poo poo luck

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

algebra testes posted:

I wake up and find a Peugot in P2??? What the christ.

peugeot seems pretty good in the rain and it rained with no safety car

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

PEUGEOT GONNA WIN

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i cannot believe how fuckin bonkers this race is dude holy poo poo

what a way to celebrate the 100 year anniversary

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

algebra testes posted:

It's easy to forget that Le Mans was the best race of the year every year up until 2018 or so when competition thinned out.

le mans has been my favorite race for decades so yeah, but even compared to pre-toyota dominance, this poo poo has been insanity

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

harperdc posted:

I wake up and get the coverage back on and the Peugeot is leading, and one of the Toyotas is out? :aaa:

this race has been buckfuckingwild dawg

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

all y'all just seein peugeot in the lead while not seeing the real story, that iron dames have been killin it and also are leading their class

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

time to root for max chaos so the 93 wins

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

algebra testes posted:

I saw an Audi blow a turbo and still win so i guess it might still be possible.

94 is too far gone, 93 is only two laps back so some safety cars could catch it up and it isn't like those are out of the question

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Shumagorath posted:

What happened to the 94? I’m assuming that’s the one that crashed? I pulled out RLM on speaker at my table but can’t hear it over the bar haha

messed up in a chicane got onto the wet section of the track and nosed-ish into the tires

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

by the way there is a decent chance for more rain from like, noon till the end of the race

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'm glad the race came down in intensity, the batshit craziness earlier was fun but also stressful

i just wanna watch iron dames dunk on gte now

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

toyota doesn't win le mans until all the other real teams leave, then when real teams come back they go right back to not winning

hmmmmmmmm

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

harperdc posted:

Finished second because Hirakawa spun it off and booped the barrier. Lost the #7 because of slow zone fuckery. They didn’t not show up at all, that’s not the case.

All of the Hypercars showed up, we’re in for quite a few good years here. Unreal.

yeah i know, just talkin poo poo

it rules that cadillac, porsche, toyota, ferrari and peugeot all looked very capable of winning. and we get even more hypercar manufacturers next year. this gonna be a new golden age.

i really hope i am able to go to le mans next year.

ps i am very sad dames did not at least get podium but at least they did not have total poo poo luck for once

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Thanks Ants posted:

What was the story behind Peugeot dropping away? It happened while I was watching the football last night.

binned it in a chicane

they absolutely had winning pace, which given how this week went was surprising, and awesome

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

now that i've had some time to recover (watched all 24 hours, had to set a series of 15-minute interval alarms for the last 3 hours due to extreme tired), i just wanna say that was the best le mans i've ever seen. i didn't expect the hypercar race to be that nuts or for toyota not to win, i'm both thrilled the iron dames ran so well and very sad they didn't get a podium but also good on corvette for recovering from Some poo poo to win, the motortrend+ bonus streams made the 5 dollars i paid feel extremely worth it and i highly, highly recommend us and canada goons to spring for it next year. the first half of the race was rad but it was also a lot so i am glad the second half calmed down a bit. i really hope peugeot can run this well next year, they did say repeatedly that the 9x8 was built specifically for le mans and they definitely proved that with their pace, i'd love to see their weird wingless car win next year. also the fact that we have two more Real Entries into hypercar next year is crazy with how good the hypercar race was this year, i can't even imagine what next year is gonna be like.

not sure how i feel about iron dames potentially going to hypercar, i mean it would kick untold amounts of rear end if they brought home the overall victory but i also think that'd mean bovy wouldn't be joining them up there. if that is the case i hope she lands in a good ride, she's extremely top-tier as far as bronze drivers go, i think only keating is on the same level.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

harperdc posted:

There’ll be three new to the WEC next year - brand new Lamborghini and Alpine, and BMW expanding the IMSA program with WRT.

i know about alpine but i don't consider them nearly as much a threat as bmw or lamborghini (though probably better than glick and bykolles), hence why i specified 2 'real' manufacturers

feel free to quote this when they win next year

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

iron dames took p1 only to get a tire pressure penalty :negative:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SlowBloke posted:

Everything happened in the last five minutes hot drat. The dentist on the McIntosh BMW GT3 is going to get an earful from the BMW mothership since he handed the GTP race to Porsche.

bill auberlen drives in gtd pro, has been in imsa/its predecessors since the 80s, and is the winningest driver in the series, so

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

iron dames pole :getin:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

buemi trying to show all the amateur drivers how to really gently caress up a race

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

peugeot :negative:

e: iron dames :negative: :negative:

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 9, 2023

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

IRON DAMES, MOTHER FUCKERS

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

against my better judgement, i subscribed to peacock for a month for daytona to see if it sucks less. i last tried it in 2021 for the indy 500 and it was an absolutely miserable experience so clearly i am a dumbass.

i guess i'll report in after (or more likely, during) the 24 hours as to how much it does or doesn't suck.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 21, 2024

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i can't believe they put a 75 year old behind the wheel of a porsche and he immediately binned it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

give motortrend broadcast rights for imsa imo